• Published 14th Oct 2022
  • 242 Views, 0 Comments

To Tame a Substitute Queen - AizakkuHorooee



Aita, Sunset and Twilight are all called by the map to solve a problem regarding the relationship between Chrysalis and her substitute.

  • ...
 0
 242

Chapter I

What a rollercoaster last month was; my birthday was smack in the middle. But things have been quiet around here… too quiet, even on the fourth of this month. I understand that’s not the day of the founding of Equestria, but I still remember the cookouts I was taken out on by Sophie and Tim back in my homeworld.

Right now, I’m actually at the dining room table, waiting for Twilight to bring in a double deck of playing cards. We’re about to play a classic game of War. This is more for fun, since I’ve learned about differing values already. But yeah, it should be some really good fun.

While I’m waiting, I have the volume fully down on the DS while I play Sim Hive, that way we can clearly hear each other. When the door opens, I turn off the DS and close it, putting the stylus in its little slot between the screens.

“Okay, Aita. I have the cards so we can play.”

Twilight sits to my right and starts shuffling the cards. I close my eyes for a little bit and relax, but then I hear a strange shimmering sound.

“Y’know Aita, you can blink for once.”

“Uh, my eyes are clo-”

“Wait… is your stylus glo-” Twilight gasps. “My cutie mark!”

She’s getting called to the map?!? Already?!? Wait, my stylus is glowing, and that glowing hologram of it is headed toward the throne room! I run as fast as my little hooves can carry me to follow the stylus hologram.

I see Twilight quite far ahead when I hear a thud behind me. When I pause, I see Sunset Shimmer’s cutie mark racing past me. I teleport to the throne room in front of the doors.

INCOMING, AITA!!!

I teleport again to get out of Twilight’s way as she bursts through the doors, slightly winded. Twilight and Sunset’s cutie marks as well as my stylus hover past her and well over the map.

Wowowaaah! Oof!

Sunset Shimmer trips into the throne room with her chin on the ground. The two cutie marks and stylus begin hovering over the changeling hive.

“Of all the ponies from Equestria, the map had to call the one who lives in another world?” Sunset Shimmer remarks. However each revelation gets her more excited. “Wait, is that a stylus? Was Aita called too?!?”

Twilight is stammering while Sunset gets up, who takes a look at the changeling hive on the map, now confused instead of excited. “What’s that?”

“Um, you’re probably not gonna like this, Sunset, but it’s the changeling throne room,” Twilight reluctantly answers.

“What? Does this have to do with me skimping out early?”

“Aw, come on Sunset! You have me and Twilight to tag along! It’ll be fun!”

“No it won’t; you remember how those drama queens crashed your party.”

“Yeah, but they apologized. The party went well after that…” Twilight starts as she turns off the map. “At least show some impartiality when we get to the hive. I’m sure Queen Chrysalis can explain herself… and Areola, if she’s there.”


So Sunset Shimmer, Twilight and I take a ride to Appleoosa, the city closest to the changeling hive, Twilight having my DS in one of her saddlebags. Then we follow the tracks to the sand dunes to get to the hive. Ever since Queen Chrysalis returned, it’s looked just the way it did before Thorax.

Twilight and I turn to Sunset looking ahead. “There it is… just like the map said… the changeling hive…”

“Why the long face, Sunset?” I ask.

“Why didn’t anypony tell me you and the queens made up? I surely would’ve forgiven them for hurting you like they did.”

Twilight takes the DS out, checking if the stylus is glowing again, but it looks normal again to all of us. “...maybe that’s not why the map called us. Do you think there’s a buckball argument going on amongst the hive?”

I start leading the way to the hive. “Or someone’s salty about Never Have I Ever?”

“Twilight, Aita, I’m sure the map would’ve sent us to a lower level if that was the case. But this is the throne room, what could Chrysalis be at odds over?”


“Perish the thought!” Chrysalis responds, on the throne, once we ask her if there is anything making her tick. “Sunset Shimmer, I’m sure Twilight and Aita told you about the rest of the birthday party. What other qualms do you think I’d have? I’m on top of the world.”

I look around and think. “Hm… something else might beg to differ.”

Twilight walks past me and Sunset. “Aita’s right; none of us would be here if the map didn’t send us.”

“Ugh, that tree of harmony always intervening…” Chrysalis stops groaning once she realizes what that means if I'm with them. “Wait. It sent you, Aita?”

“Uh huh.”

“I… I’m surprised. Do you think it has to do with my teacher? O-or could it be Pharynx?”

Okay, I’ve watched the events up to the dethroning of Chrysalis, but… “Pharynx?”

Twilight and Sunset turn to me. “Aita… you don’t know about Pharynx?” I shake my head in confusion to Twilight. “Well that’s news to all of us.”

“Pharynx is a returned changeling who went back in time to try and save his brother from being literally overthrown.”

I perk up when Chrysalis mentions time travel. “You mean like Starlight? I mean she tried to st-” I’m cut off by Twilight’s wing.

“Not a good time, Aita.”

“Nonsense, Twilight. I’m one of the only other political figures to know what Starlight did. You’ve reformed her, yet Pharynx had the more honorable goal. Now, back to the whole map situation-”

As soon as Chrysalis tries to get back on topic about what the problem was, Carve comes from behind. “Sorry I’m late, Chrysalis. I was wondering- hello! Who’re you?!?”

Apparently, Carve hasn’t met Sunset Shimmer.

Chrysalis starts to tense up a little at Carve coming in and breaking up the conversation. “Um, Carve? …yeah, I’m a little busy. Sorry this is such a bad time.”

“Oh, oh, okay. Guess I’ll just do the whole living arrangement thing then.”

When Carve leaves, Sunset Shimmer turns to me and Twilight. “I can’t be the only one to notice that tension, right?”

I shake my head. “You aren’t. I could smell it.”

“Queen Chrysalis… you don’t think you might be at odds with your substitute queen, do you?” Twilight asks.

“Who, Carve? Of course not. I’m aware she can sometimes miss the cues of my business, but ever since we helped out Pharynx, I’ve been able to accept that. She is my substitute after all. I can always rely on her to take my place whene'er I’m in Equestria.”

“...if you say so-”

“Twilight, just listen,” Sunset Shimmer interrupts. “You saw the way she acted around Carve. Something is clearly tugging at their relationship; that’s why the map sent us! Chrysalis is enabling Carve’s behavior.”

Twilight stammers as what she’s hearing. “W-What?!? But why? Why would Carve be doing that in the first place?”

Chrysalis thinks for a moment. “Hm… reflecting on it now Twilight, this does go as far back as our transformation. I will see if I can talk with Carve for a moment. Take some seats on the throne while you wait; my pleasure.”

While Chrysalis leaves to go talk to Carve, Twilight and I take the invitation and sit up on the throne. Of course, Sunset Shimmer can’t fly, so I float her onto the throne.