• Published 19th Aug 2022
  • 1,596 Views, 14 Comments

You Ever Feel Funny? - PonyJosiah13



Izzy feels strange whenever she's with Sunny: sweating, fast heartbeat, weird fluttery feelings. What could be the cause of this ailment?

  • ...
6
 14
 1,596

Watching the Rain

A drop of sweat ran down Izzy's forehead. She watched it in her reflection in the rain-streaked window of the Crystal Brighthouse as it made its path down her forehead before disappearing into her mane.

Logically, there was no reason for her to be sweating, not in the dim, cool room, not during a mid-autumnal evening thunderstorm. There was also no reason for her heart to be thumping against her ribs like it was using her own chest as a drum when she had been sitting still at the window for the past twenty minutes, or for her entire skin to be tingling like her coat hairs were dancing to the music.

"Izzy? Izzy?"

"Huh?" Izzy turned around to face the other mare, whose head was cocked to one side so that her multicolored mane spilled down her shoulders like a river made of a rainbow, blinking at her in confusion (her eyes shone like they were genuine emeralds).

"I was saying that we should try to bring back the Running of the Leaves," Sunny said, gesturing out the window. Beneath them, the rolling hills of Maretime Bay stretched out before them, the prismatic array of autumn leaves swaying in the wind.

Izzy's face scrunched up. "How do we get the leaves to run?"

Sunny giggled. "No, Izzy, the Running of the Leaves was a tradition in some parts of old Equestria. During the fall, they'd race through the forests; the motion of so many ponies would cause the leaves to fall off."

"Oooh, we could make a race for Bridlewood Forest!" Izzy cried, delighted at the idea.

"I imagine that it looks really impressive in the fall," Sunny said, looking down at the scant trees of the seaside town.

"It's absolutely beautiful," Izzy replied, her mind drifting back to her old home, recalling the vibrant colors of the massive curtains that would adorn the forest, filling the air with that fresh blend of scents that could only be collectively identified as autumn. "The trees are just covered in these big splashes of color--reds and oranges and browns and yellows! I like to collect leaves for unicycling and make them into collages or canvasses for painting!"

Sunny's face lit up in delight, glowing like the rising sun. "We should go there sometime soon!" she declared. "You could show us and we could arrange a Running there!"

"I'd love that!" Izzy beamed.

Her throat instantly dried up. Why had she said that word? Why did it make her heart skip like it was jumping rope in her chest? And did it suddenly get hot in here when Sunny smiled, as though she really were glowing like the sun?

A thunderclap suddenly roared through the air, the sky flaring white. Sunny let out a yelp and her hoof darted out on instinct, seizing Izzy's fetlock.

The tingling sensation intensified across Izzy's entire foreleg, spreading across her body, like ants crawling up and down her form. She froze beneath the sensory barrage, her heart rate accelerating like she was running for her life.

Sunny let out an embarrassed cough and retreated. "Sorry," she said sheepishly, her orange cheeks turning a shade of pink.

"It's okay," Izzy replied, trying to keep her voice even. Her pulse slowed and the tingling sensation faded to a distant sensation in the back of her mind, which was a relief, but part of her mourned for the loss of the warm touch of Sunny's hoof against hers.

"I used to be scared of thunderstorms," Sunny said.

Izzy turned and raised an eyebrow at her friend, whose cheeks darkened. "Okay, I still am kinda scared of thunderstorms," she admitted. "I'd hide under the bed and wait for it to go away. My dad would tell me stories about the Weather Factory back in Cloudsdale and how the pegasi would clear away the storms, and I'd wish I could have a friend to make the thunderstorms go away so we could go out and play."

Izzy chuckled. "Well, now you've got two pegasus friends who can make thunderstorms go away," she said.

"If they weren't back at Zephyr Heights right now," Sunny chuckled back.

"Well...at least you've got a unicorn friend to sit and talk with while it rains," Izzy stammered out. For some reason, that made the weird fluttering feeling in her chest even worse.

Sunny chuckled and leaned up against Izzy. "Yeah, that's true," she replied, nuzzling into Izzy's mane.

The unicorn was suddenly petrified, her heart racing in her chest like she was running a marathon. Her face was so warm that she distantly marveled at the fact that the sweat on her forehead wasn't evaporating off her; the fluttering feeling in her chest had increased tenfold, but she didn't care because Sunny was warm and soft and her mane smelled so good, like sunflowers and rain...

"Izzy? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine!" Izzy squeaked out.

Another thunderclap sounded, more distant than the one before and Sunny retreated with a gasp. After the echoes faded away, she turned and looked at Izzy.

"Izzy, you've been acting weird," she said. "Especially when you're with me. Is there...something you want to tell me?"

Sweat was cascading down Izzy's face and the fluttering sensation had moved down to her tummy, making her stomach turn flip-flops inside her. She swallowed to try to force some moisture down her desiccated throat and sucked in a deep breath.

"Sunny...do you ever feel...funny?" Izzy stammered out, trying and failing to force herself to look up at Sunny's eyes.

Sunny cocked her head to one side. "Funny how?" she asked.

"Like..." Izzy swallowed, her heart palpitating against her chest with the rapid tattoo of a marching band's drum. "When you're near somepony, your heart starts beating really fast..."

"And you start to sweat...?" Sunny prompted.

Izzy nodded and took in a breath that smelled of sunflowers and rain. "And you get this weird fluttery feeling in your tummy like you swallowed some butterflies...?"

"Uh-huh..." Sunny asked, the wind of her breath brushing against Izzy's cheek.

Izzy looked up at last to meet Sunny's emerald eyes. "And when you look at them, you suddenly feel like you could just float away...?"

"And it makes you feel really nervous and really happy at the same time...?" Sunny blinked slowly and licked her lips. "Yeah, I...I think I feel funny like that sometimes..."

For a moment, there was silence between the two of them, save for the water pattering against the window, sounding in Izzy's ears like the thumping of her heart. Sunny was so close that she could feel the heat radiating from her face; no wind brushed against her face and she realized that she was holding her breath as well.

Izzy took in a breath, then leaned forward and pressed her lips against Sunny's, closing her eyes so that the only thing in the world now was the warm, wet taste of berry smoothies and cupcakes against her lips. She felt Sunny let out a muffled squeak of surprise, then she started to kiss Izzy back, melting into the embrace. There was a distant thunderclap, but Sunny didn't react at all save to continue the kiss.

After a few moments, the two pulled away from each other. They stared at each other for another long moment of silence, breathing heavily.

Sunny cracked a nervous smile. "Wow," she breathed.

Izzy giggled, the fluttering sensation slowing to a pleasant tingle and spreading down to her hooves and tail. "Wow," she repeated, her heart slowing down to a calm rhythm and her sweat evaporating.

Sunny leaned up against Izzy's shoulder, nuzzling into her mane. Izzy tucked her head against Sunny's, closing her eyes to enjoy the scent of sunflowers and rain. A comfortable silence fell between them, save for the pattering of the rain against the window.

Author's Note:

I dreamed this a couple of nights ago while trying to sleep and banged this out real quick because it was a good idea and demanded to be let out.

Romance isn't my forte, but I hope that you enjoyed this story nonetheless. Also, yay for my first G5 story!

Comments ( 14 )

Cute! 😊

I wish you didn't rush it out... hopefully you don't do that in the mere future... quality over quantity.

I don't know what the commenter before me is talking about. This was a pretty sweet story, expressive and well paced. For me, it was quite an enjoyable read.

Short and sweet, with a focus on emotion over action. Not too bad for someone who claims romance is not their forte.

For a speed piece in a genre you say isn't your forte, you did a pretty good job. Very cute.

Your proud of it but why disable ratings? Also cute story.

11336602
It is a sweet story but he also quote real quick in the authors note.. which means he rushed it to get it out... the idea is good but there are a few erorrs from the grammar perspective. And besides he made a lot more romance stories just not speed oneshot romance... when I read this story I seem to read it and there might be a few missing on details. If you know what I mean.

11337394
Ah, okay, I see. What about it missing some potential details? It was a sweet read, and the experience itself matters the most when you read a story. Thinking about what might have been is shooting yourself in the foot — so to speak. The moment you do that and start being critical of it, you stop enjoying the story, you disengage with it and watch it from afar. (This is kinda following the analogy of measuring a wave-particle and how that collapses to acting like a particle as a result, thus no longer experiencing it in the wave form)

Okay, perhaps I'm getting too much into it myself with this reply. Perhaps you just have higher standards to satisfy when it comes to a story before you can personally enjoy it, I don't see that as an issue as long as these standards aren't forced upon anyone. Maybe what you meant by that comment was just that there visibly was room for improvement and wanted to let the author know of that. But the almost imperative wording of "hopefully you don't do that in the mere future," feels like an empathetic trap (i.e.: to incite someone to do something you want because they feel pity and sorry for you), that's the main issue I had.

11336976
They have enabled ratings now! :yay:

Hecking cute story. Great job. :twilightsmile:

11337476

Izzy turned and raised an eyebrow at her friend, whose cheeks darkened. "Okay, I still am kinda scared of thunderstorms," she admitted. "I'd hide under the bed and wait for it to go away. My dad would tell me stories about the Weather Factory back in Cloudsdale and how the pegasi would clear away the storms, and I'd wish I could have a friend to make the thunderstorms go away so we could go out and play."

When Izzy turned which way did she turn? also which eyebrow did she raise? this what bothering me a lot... since there could of been an object there or what you call a blind spot if you have a car. That's pretty much what type of perspective I read all day long. Now I'm question the image of imagination but unfortunate that the picture of that imagination isn't clear.

11337602
Sometimes it's up to the reader to choose and adorn specifics intuitively. Like in that case, I imagined she raised her left eyebrow myself. Less specific description means more liberty for the reader to imagine such details for themselves. And, also, getting stuck to such minute aspects ruins the immersion with the story (as said earlier, it disengages the reader from it). But, I suppose, all this is coming from someone who is less concerned with specifics such as what color one's coat is or which hoof they bumped with somepony else, and more concerned with the big picture and the whole rainbow of feelings and images of a story — like, it's hard for me to understand why what you've told me is so bothersome.

Greetings. Your reading has been completed and can be found below. I hope you enjoy.

Login or register to comment