• Published 15th Aug 2022
  • 411 Views, 2 Comments

Travelers Tales: The Apple Of My Eye - Slippin_Sweetie



Applejack has to go to far off lands, leaving Applebloom to carry the mantel that she's left behind. While not the element of honestly she'll have to carry on her legacy none the less.

  • ...
3
 2
 411

Familial Pride And A Crusader's Code

The following day Applebloom awoke to the gentle rays of the dawn beaming down on her as she rose from her bedside and peered out the window next to her. She realized how low the morning sun was, the orangish-red orb barely peaking above the horizon.

Collecting her hat hanging from the bedframe at the foot of her bed. She snugly placed the garb atop her head before quietly trotting into the kitchen, where Big Mac and Granny sat having their morning Coffee. Granny Smith looked over to the young filly with a surprised look on her face.

“Good morning; I would’ve expected you to sleep in after working all day yesterday.” Smirked Granny.

Big Mac yawned as he pushed a nearby chair out for Applebloom to sit; she’d quickly walk over before climbing atop the chair and sitting at the table with the rest of her family. She’d wonder what Applejack was doing by now; she could’ve guessed she was at least in The Crystal Empire. Her train of thought was interrupted by the unceremonious sound of her stomach growling and the mild gnawing pain paired with an ever-growing hunger.

Applebloom slowly rose from her chair as she quickly examined what food had been prepared, when the staunch realization hit her like a ton of bricks as the sobering feeling woke up Applebloom entirely. Without Applejack, she couldn’t have her trademarked meals; instead, breakfast would be…

“Grits and coffee for breakfast today.” Blurted Granny as she began taking a long sip of coffee from her tin cup, “Why don’t you try some coffee?” she’d innocently suggest.

Big Mac passed Granny an odd look before turning his attention toward Applebloom.

She’d sigh before fixing herself a bowl of grits, not forgetting to grab the cheese from the ice box. She wanted at least some semblance of flavor to start her day. Returning to the table, she’d look up at Granny.”

“I guess I’ll try some coffee; I never had it before.” Shrugged Applebloom.

“Say no more,” gingerly replied Granny as she poured her a steaming cup of coffee.

Applebloom took the small tin cup between her hooves before raising the ‘glass’ to her lips, letting the black liquid enter her mouth. Her eyes widened as the foul, pungent taste of the drink assaulted her tongue. She wretch before spitting the liquid back into the cup and desperately rubbing her hooves against her tongue to attempt to remove any trace of that awful taste.

Granny and Big Mac chuckled softly before Big Mac slid her a cup of water. Applebloom quickly chugged the beverage before panting heavily, “That was awful; how are y’all drinking that!?”

“You get used to it; besides, you don’t really drink it for the taste; you drink it for the energy!” Granny said as she spooned a large helping of grits before shoving the spoon into her maul.

“Yup.” Interjected Big Mac.

“Isn’t there anything you can do to make it…taste better?” Suggested Applebloom.

Granny scoffed, “Maybe if you’re some sort of sissy who drinks one of those fancy cappa whatchamacallits.”

“I think I know what you’re talking about; actually, Rarity drinks them all the time whenever she goes to Sugar Cube Corner. A….cappuccino or….a latte?” Applebloom said as she rubbed her temple, attempting to fish out the answer in her groggy mind.

“Well, whatever you call it, it can’t beat a good ole fashioned cup of black coffee, no sugar, no milk. No nonsense!” Proclaimed Granny.

Applebloom passively dismissed Granny’s proclamation; what was so nonsensical about flavor? She decided not to question Granny; she had her reasons, but, Applebloom made a mental note to try some of that fancy coffee Rarity had or to at least try it with sugar and milk when no one was around.

Shoveling the grits into her mouth, Applebloom lazily ate her food as she stared into the dull-looking meal; no amount of cheese or salt could save her from the boredom that was beginning to fester. A thought soon crossed her mind, “Granny, I need your advice on something?”

“Eh, oh um, sure thing, sweetheart, what is it?” Inquired Granny.

“Yesterday, when I was helping volunteer, I kinda pushed Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle into helping me volunteer and doing more work today. I don’t think I was doing the right thing….”

“Why’s that?”

“Well….I guess I did it for selfish reasons; I wanted to prove to MYSELF that I could be capable of taking Applejack’s workload, but I used our goal of finding a Cutie Mark to push my friends into doing something; they really didn’t want to….”.’

“Pride is a fickle thing, ain’t it? We Apples are known for our pridefulness and our stubborn streak as much as we’re known for our massive harvests. So trust me when Big Mac and I say we understand where your need to prove yerself comes from. But believe me when I say you oughta apologize and be upfront with them.” Granny said before slurping up another bite of grits.

“Eyup.” Nodded Big Mac as he sipped his coffee.

“Well….I guess I could apologize after my morning chores….”

“Good thinking; let’s finish up and start our day y’all!”


The mid-day sun hung high in the air as Applebloom trotted toward the wreckage site, unsurprised to see Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle patiently waiting for their comrade to arrive. As Applebloom approached, she humbly held her hat in between her front hooves as she bowed her head down in shame.

“Y’all, I just wanna get something off my chest. I didn’t mean to force you two into volunteering; I just wanted to do right by Applejack and my family. I didn’t mean to use The Cutie Mark Crusaders to prop up my family dealings.”

Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle quickly trotted up to Applebloom, hugging her tightly, “Dude, we know you’re going through it right now, and we completely understand and support you.” Insisted Scootaloo.

“Yeah! We just don’t want you to go overboard or be focused on just working; we are just fillies after all.” Smiled Sweetie.

As the girls let go of Applebloom, she looked to her comrades, her expression touched by their understanding and kindness, “So you’re not mad?”

“Well, you can’t REALLY be mad at being told to do volunteer work.” Admitted Scootaloo, “Even if it makes you….really sore…..like really really sore, so sore you can hardly move and-”

Sweetie Belle quickly covered Scootaloo’s mouth with her hoof, “It’s hard work, is what she’s trying to say; just take it easy on us, okay?”

“Okay….” Smiled Applebloom, she’d promptly put Applejack’s hat atop her head before turning to her friends, “So what do you want to do now?”

“We could volunteer for a little bit, and I finally figured out a way we could all get to Cloudsdale.” Beamed Scootaloo.

“Oh great….” Groaned Sweetie Belle, “This again.”

“Oh, come on, it’s genius, Applebloom. You have to hear me out!”

Comments ( 2 )

That was a great sequel and a great lesson too , I can't wait to hear more, Who's next before we get back to the girls?

Login or register to comment