• Published 15th Aug 2022
  • 411 Views, 2 Comments

Travelers Tales: The Apple Of My Eye - Slippin_Sweetie



Applejack has to go to far off lands, leaving Applebloom to carry the mantel that she's left behind. While not the element of honestly she'll have to carry on her legacy none the less.

  • ...
3
 2
 411

The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From The Tree

Though this day of labor had ended for Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo, Applebloom’s work had only just begun. The evening sun hung low, the sky covered with an orange hue, as the yellow sun burned brightly.

Applebloom sighed, knowing she needed to work tonight to catch up on the chores she had neglected earlier today. Once she arrived home, she quickly galloped into the barn, got herself a barrel, and dragged it into the Orchard before bucking a nearby tree.

It had been about twenty minutes of apple bucking when a bellowing voice interrupted Applebloom’s train of thought, “Bit late for apple bucking, ain’t it?”

Applebloom turned to see Big Mac with a lantern resting on his side; the large Stallion towered over her as he gave the young filly a knowing look. Applebloom immediately relented, “I know it’s late, but I have a good reason for all of this!”

Big Mac raised his brow, gesturing his head for Applebloom to speak.

“Well, I was volunteering with Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle to help clean up the wreckage at Twilight’s old castle, but then I realized by the time I was finished, I needed to get home and do my chores for the Orchard. I know I should’ve done my chores first before I left and went off working like that, but tomorrow I’ll work on my chores first!” Exclaimed Applebloom as she nervously looked up to Big Mac.

Big Mac took a moment to process everything she said, before slowly uttering the words, “You’ll work early in the morning after burning the candle at both ends?”

Applebloom slowly nodded, “If I have to.”

Big Mac chuckled, “Let’s go home.”

The walk home was silent, with only the sound of their hooves trotting over the soft ground. It being the only sound to accompany them on their walk home. The sun had set by the time they were home, as the moon rose in the sun’s stead. As they stepped inside the candle-lit home, Big Mac escorted Applebloom to Granny.

Granny looked up from the book she was reading, her expression masked by a thin veil of darkness with only her eyes and muzzle illuminated by the candle’s dim glow.

“Where were you all day?” Inquired Granny; her tone was neutral, absent of the anger and disappointment Applebloom expected; she was shocked but remained composed.

“I volunteered in Ponyville and help clean up Twilight’s old house.” Replied Applebloom, thanking the stars that the candle’s dim light couldn’t reveal Applebloom’s ever-growing uneasiness.

“That so? Well, what are you doing home so late? Volunteer work ended by sunset!” Snapped Granny as she leaned from her chair. She quickly relaxed and promptly continued in a more apologetic tone, “Oh, I get it; you must’ve been with your little friends.”

“Nope.” Replied Big Mac.

“Then what were you doing?” Questioned Granny as her shadowy figure sat up in piqued interest.

“I was….tending the Orchard.” Gulped Applebloom; she squeezed her eyelids shut and braced herself as she prepared for the tirade or scolding of a lifetime.

But instead of screaming, shaming, or scolding, what met the young filly was Granny Smith’s howling, cackling laughter.

“The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, does it, Big Mac!?” Cackled Granny.

Big Mac bellowed a hardy laugh, “Yup.”

“So you’re not mad?” Applebloom asked nervously.

“Mad? Why would I be mad? This is too rich; if only Applejack were here, she’d be so proud of you.” Chortled Granny.

“Proud?” Replied a dazed Applebloom, “Why?”

“Applebloom, you’re willing to step up and be the bigger mare, working long hours and burning the candle at both ends. You would’ve made Applejack cry tears of joy if she saw you….she would’ve also told you to knock it off!” Chuckled Granny.

“What, why!? Isn’t being a responsible, hard worker everything she would want me to be?”

Granny smith sighed as she got up from the chair and approached Applebloom with her candle, revealing her tender expression to the young filly. A gentle smile paired with eyes beaming with pride and sympathy.

“Yes, but you can’t work yourself to death, Applebloom; spare yourself from the same lesson she learned! Do you remember when she tried to harvest the entire Orchard when Big Mac hurt himself? Or when she tried to run the Apple Family Reunion by herself?”

“Yes, but-”

“But nothin!” Interrupted Granny, “If she couldn’t do it, then you certainly can’t, which is why I’m not asking; I’m tellin’ you to knock it off!”

Applebloom sighed, “I just don’t want to disappoint anypony; I know I have responsibilities; It's always been hard, but it’s different now.” Insisted Applebloom.

“Different how?” questioned the elderly pony, her brow stiffened as she gave Applebloom a cock-eyed look.

“Because Applejack isn’t here, and now I gotta step up to the challenge.” Insisted Applebloom.

“It don’t mean you have to do it alone or kill yerself while doing it, Applebloom; we’ll all be here, right, Big Mac?”

“Yup.” Nodded Big Mac.

“So promise me you won’t overwork yourself.”

“But-”

“Promise me!” Squawked Granny.

Applebloom took a deep breath before letting out a soft sigh, “Okay….”

Granny Smith wrapped her left front leg around Applebloom as she pulled her into a hug, “See, wasn’t that easy?”

Applebloom smiled before giving a slight nod to Granny, “Now, everypony, get ready for bed; we have work to do tomorrow!” Barked Granny Smith as she let go of Applebloom.

“Good night.” Fawned Big Mac as he patted Applebloom’s head.

The young filly sighed before muttering, “Good night.”