• Published 16th Jun 2021
  • 1,472 Views, 53 Comments

The End of an Era (Series Finale Rewritten) - StacheHand



Twilight Sparkle is about to be crowned ruler of Equestria, but on this day of all days, the peace is disturbed by the ultimate threat: Emperor Grogar and the Horses of the Apocalypse.

  • ...
6
 53
 1,472

Epilogue: The Final Problem

Many years later, after the great, final battle closed out...

The sun beamed across the mountains, plains and city buildings in the morning hours, casting warmth and luminosity all over the magical land of New Equestria. It was a typical day for it's residents; earth ponies, pegasi, unicorns, dragons, griffons, changelings, hippogriffs, yaks and a multitude of different creatures coming together to talk, eat meals, play games, sing songs, relax under the bright, celestial sphere, and many other activities to take part in. Those whom were not natives were either visiting or had taken permanent resident there. The country's non-pony population had increased substantially since the worldwide alliance.

On this particular day, the reconstructed, and expanded, metropolis of Canterlot was more of a bustling place than it usually was. New sightseers whom hadn't gotten a good look at the capital yet were coming in to meet potential new friends and behold the shining monuments to the heroism of New Equestria's many heroes. Additionally, some garden parties were being thrown to commemorate the growing unity of creaturekind. Standing in the middle of one of those gardens was a statue chiseled out in the image of a radiant tree and the six ponies whom set the foundation for this age of peace: the Elements of Harmony.

Inside the great throne room of Canterlot Castle, Spike, the reptilian royal advisor to the reigning sovereign, entered after a return trip from a peace meeting between the Abyssinians and the Diamond Dogs. He was all grown up - tall, bulky, physically stronger and slightly gruffer sounding - at a rate considered faster than usual for dragons. He proudly wore his medallion around his wide neck, asserting his authoritative status to everyone. Fondly welcoming him back home, right in the middle of signing royal documents, was his big sister, New Equestria's Great Princess, and the Element of Magic herself, Twilight Sparkle.

Since her Harmony Evolution, her magical prowess had gone off the scale. She could even move the sun and moon as easily as her predecessors, whenever necessary. Twilight has been a beloved ruler, and a collected pony the past few decades. Nobody, not even Spike, could recall the last time she went, as they would put it, "Twily-nanas".

Twilight retained her blue horn, pink wings and yellow right eye, but her main body, besides sporting golden garb similar to what Celestia wore, had drastically changed. It now resembled the larger form she took when she and her friends used Heart Rainbow Power, but without the gleaming mark features. What was also different was the sound of her voice. In accordance to this change in appearance, she spoke with a deepened tone that would befit a lullaby singer. All the better for the loving mood of a reunion with her little brother.

However, it turned out that there was more to this meeting of the siblings than taking a break from royal duties. Twilight was having a bit of a problem with her star pupil, so she needed her right hand dragon to back her up if it was going to be figured out.

The captain of the Canterlot Royal Guard, the adult Gallus, appeared at the doors. He was outfitted in the traditional guard armour, with one addition that helped him stand out. On top of the helmet was a fez, passed down to him from his surrogate grandfather, Grampa Gruff. He never removed it from his gear, for it reminded him of how proud he made the old historian back in childhood. He presented himself to notify his princess of the star pupil's arrival.

A young unicorn mare with a mane and tail like fire, and a Cutie Mark of a rising sun, walked into the throne room, nervous, yet prepared. This was the one Twilight spoke of: Luster Dawn. She referred to her teacher in the most proper terms, but the princess insisted that she call her by name, not wanting to see this scenario as a lowly citizen standing before a supreme, immortal being, but as a friend addressing a friend, nothing more.

Luster came to say that while she has loved every second of her studies in the School of Magic, she felt held back by something that she deemed an obstacle. Something she thought was being forced against her will. "I don't want to make friends." the student confessed.

"Oh boy, here we go." Spike groaned, exchanging raised eye brows with Twilight, before he crossed his arms in disapproval.

Luster desired to take an independent studying course, hoping it could lead her down a path of her choosing where she could accomplish as many things as Twilight has.

"Without friends, it's going to be a long road ahead... if not endless." Spike remarked.

Luster wasn't swayed. She found friend making too distracting, even going as far as to say it was pointless.

"Kid, we wouldn't be here if others concurred with that." Spike admonished the unicorn.

Luster made it clear she had no intention of diminishing the amazing deeds Twilight and the other Elements did back then, but pointed out that it's been years, with her teacher seemingly ruling the country by herself and no longer having her closest friends in her life. Spike, as the royal advisor, was quick to remind her that he was still there for the princess. So, Luster pressed the question: "If friendships ultimately fade, why even make them in the first place?"

Twilight, after a moment of quiet, fair consideration, admitted that her pupil was... right?

"WHAT?!" Spike hollered in shock, spewing a rock-busting stream of flame as the word left his mouth. He took a moment to regain his composure before asking Twilight in a whisper "This is your top student? Friendship is worth so much to this world."

Twilight stepped off her throne and walked down the hallway with Luster. She explained that friendship is an art, and can't be rushed. That it can be a messy beast. That it can be needlessly complex. That it never goes exactly how it does in one's head.

Right beside them, as they trotted, stained glass windows depicting significant events in Equestria and the lands beyond could be seen. One was of the six students, Gallus, Yona, Silverstream, Ocellus, Smolder and Sandbar, coming together to defeat a wild red monster. One was of an adult Flurry Heart, ascending to her mother's position of Crystal Princess, and raising the new Crystal Heart for all of the Crystal Empire to see. The other, the biggest of all, given extra room on the wall, depicted Grogar and the four Horses of the Apocalypse being defeated by beams of light coming from symbols representing the pony clans, the non-pony clans, the Elements of Harmony, plus Heart Rainbow Power according to the silver hearts surrounding them, and, at the top, a tree adorned with a blue star connected to a crescent moon, representing the Tree of Harmony and the binding Element of Faith.

Looking at the artistic rendition of the world's biggest, most desperate battle, Twilight began to recount to Luster the time she faced the most terrifying of realizations: how finite her friendships may have really been.


A long time back, shortly before Twilight's coronation...

It had been almost a year since the final defeat of Grogar and the Horses of the Apocalypse. With ponies and creatures everywhere cooperating in perfect accord, cleanup and reconstruction of Equestria was already over halfway complete. Thanks to the combination of the new Crystal Heart and the Treehouse of Harmony, the land was stable and all the plants were able to grow back. Everyone had homes of their own again.

Twilight had efficiently packed all of her possessions into boxes, preparing to move out of the Castle of Friendship. Now that she was able to cast spells again, she used Accelero, self-duplication magic, an instant cleaning spell and, of course, telekinesis to save time that would've went into the process otherwise.

"Hey, Spike. It's that issue of Power Ponies you lost." Twilight lightheartedly said to Spike, holding up a comic in her magical grip. Spike didn't think it was necessary to bring along to Canterlot. "Why not?" Twilight asked him. Spike said that he was growing older, many things were changing, like his interests. He wasn't even sure if he would be collecting Power Ponies comics anymore. "Just because things change doesn't mean you leave everything you love behind." Twilight said as a rebuttal.

Twilight couldn't keep up the face she was putting on. Even though all of her magic usage looked like an exciting rush, she had actually been solemn all day. Spike knew that ascending to the ruler of the New Equestria was greatly worrying his big sister; not that she wasn't prepared for the throne and all the responsibilities that it implied, but nothing could prepare her for the inevitability of leaving Ponyville, where most of her adult life up to this point had been spent.

She levitated newspapers that had been released once the Ponyville news station got back up and running. On the front of one was a headline that read "Grogar - Gusty the Great's antagonist - real all along!?", complete with some photographer's close and clear photo of the late ram sorcerer. Inside were articles with pictures depicting Twilight and her friends' battle with him and the Horses of the Apocalypse, and three of the villains being turned into a stone statue while one, the littlest and least magical, was shown behind steel bars with a colt and filly her age, both brutish. Another paper had unrelated articles, such as the wedding of Lyra Heartstring and Bon Bon, and a very special event happening tomorrow.

"When we were out there, clinging on to hope after I fell sick, fighting to take Equestria back from Tirek, Chrysalis, Cozy Glow, Aurora Eclipse and Grogar, then repairing the damage the monsters and Windigos dealt, the thought of it got away from me. Now it's about to happen all at once." Twilight elaborated on her predicament. When queried on what was happening, the alicorn answered that it was the coronation, and leaving their friends behind.

Spike scratched his head, as he was under the impression that the six would be ruling New Equestria as a singular unit. Twilight said they still will, but nothing will be the same because she and Spike are moving away, while the others are remaining in their hometown to continue their regular lives. Lives they were more dedicated to than ever, as a result of what they suffered in the war. Each of them drifting apart looked all too certain.

Spike, more understanding, suggested that she talk to her friends, because they had to be sharing her pain.


Their first stop was Sweet Apple Acres. Applejack was busy helping Big Mac and Apple Bloom pack and sort boxes of apple cider and apple sauce. A wider stock was produced to accommodate for the expansion of non-pony guests coming to the coronation.

Applejack didn't seem at all worried about how much was going to change about her friendship with Twilight after she moved away from Ponyville. In fact, the farmer was astoundingly quick to change the subject and never turn back to the serious discussion.


The next stop was Sugarcube Corner. Pinkie didn't look worried, either, though Twilight was willing to accept, somewhat, that was just Pinkie being her usual, upbeat self. Her only concern was how the party she set up would go, if the coronation buffet would be ready in time, and if her sister, Maud, had taken care of the fireworks.

The party pony mentioned that she would be in charge of the Canterlot galas from now on, but was okay with that. The thought of needing to be there to see Twilight was paid no mind.


Next was Fluttershy's animal sanctuary. Twilight expected that at least someone as sensitive and sweet as her would show sadness over what was going to happen. Instead, she was happily distracting herself with her animal friends' singing rehearsal.

After Fluttershy put the birds in cages to rest for the next day, Fluttershy wore a sunny smile while voicing her excitement over Twilight's eventual rise to power. The kind pegasus didn't see a single negative thing about this imminent event. Twilight was unpleasantly surprised.


Next up: the Wonderbolt Academy. Rainbow was training her fellow Wonderbolts to do a special air show for the coronation. At first it went smoothly, but then Spitfire and Soarin messed up and had to be saved by a cloud. Spitfire, while knowing what the routine meant to the speedster pegasus complained that the routine was getting too complicated.

Rainbow showed absolute certainty that this team could pull off the stunts. But, she was so committed to it's perfection that she had no time to talk with Twilight at all.


The last stop was Carousel Boutique. Just like the other four, Rarity displayed zero anxiety, and instead put enthusiastic energy into crafting her latest formal design. She got the inspiration recently to incorporate the webs of star spiders into the coronation dress, because of the glow they emit after they are spun.

Rarity, the ambitious fashionista that she is, also thought of opening up boutiques around the country for the other creature clans to buy clothing from. She told Twilight that change simply happens, it must, lest things go stale, and if embraced, it can be fabulous. It was likely meant to be assuring, but it was not.


Back at her castle, Twilight sat alone in the empty library. Spike came in to inform her that Starlight Glimmer was supposed to drop by tomorrow morning to deliver a gift before Twilight's departure. He also changed his mind about the Power Ponies comic, feeling it was wrong to leave his favourite superheroes behind. Twilight doubted they cared, just like the ponies she called her best friends.

Just then, Applejack, Pinkie, Fluttershy, Rarity and Rainbow appeared through the doors Spike opened.

"Howdy, Twilight. We still got lots to do, but we found time to pay you a visit." said Applejack with a grin.

"Why not stick around and see her off?" Spike asked. Applejack said she needed to double-check the delivery list. Rainbow wanted to go over the air show routine once more. Pinkie needed to check on Maud and remind her when to start the fireworks, just to be safe. Fluttershy stressed that she had to grab food for the birds that will be flying to Canterlot.

Twilight saw it as bitter poetry. She'll be living alone in Canterlot, so she may as well take the train alone as well. On that sour note, she gave an unceremonious farewell.

Rarity tried to cheer her up, saying that while the day may fly by, they had enough time to get everything in place. She encouraged her to rest off her worries if her coronation was going to be perfect. This made Twilight snap.

"That's the problem! I told you girls, I've learned the lesson! I'm okay with imperfect!" Twilight yelled, teary-eyed. "Yet you're trying so hard, while I'm leaving Ponyville and none of you even care!" The heartbroken anger she belted out took her friends aback.

All of their minds flashed back to when Twilight screamed I HATE YOU!, like lightning struck right in their faces.

Applejack, matter-of-factly, said that they obviously did care that Twilight was moving away. Fluttershy was surprised that her friend really thought such a thing. Pinkie wondered what possessed the alicorn to believe it. Twilight answered that she tried to speak to them earlier that same day, but they chose their coronation preparations over what she was feeling. Rarity confessed that the activity was only a way to take their minds off the painful reality. Applejack stated that she was not oblivious to how worried Twilight was over everything changing, but remembering that she, everyone, had been through enough that past year, she tried to make it seem like all was okay, hoping it really would be. Fluttershy only meant to make Twilight feel good, so she herself would not feel awful.

Twilight noted that her friends taught her so much about friendship, making it harder to believe it might be ending for her. For real, and not in bitterness, but by fate's plans. Her friends closed in for a tight, loving, tearful embrace. Twilight expressed how petrified she was to see that her old life was going to be over mere hours from then, because they won't be together in the future. The others shared their equal terror at what was in store.

Rainbow said "I wouldn't say scared...", and then yelped "BUT!" right as the others turned to shoot her disapproving looks. She knew they were coming. She added "Just because I won't say it, doesn't mean I don't feel it."

Finally, everyone broke down, verbalizing their unease. Will they not see each other again? Will they hardly talk? Will they remain friends? No answers would come right now, but oddly enough, seeing her friends as upset as she was actually made her so much less worried.

"If it'll make you feel more at ease, how about we stay the night?" Fluttershy requested.

"Oh, I don't know, I just got done packing." said Twilight.

"I've got my sleeping bag set." Rarity mentioned. "Everything's covered, darling."

So, it was agreed that for Twilight's last night in Ponyville, she and her friends would have a sleepover at the Castle of Friendship after their long days of preparation work. They wished one another good night, before Twilight and Spike got tucked in.

"I should've asked this a long time ago, but it just occurred to me..." Spike mused. "Why couldn't you have declined Celestia and Luna's transfer of power?"

"I never worked out how to say "no thanks" to them. Too late to, now." Twilight answered truly. "Besides, I'll get the School of Magic out of the deal, too." This part amused the little dragon.

Without another word exchanged, they closed their eyes and drifted off into slumberland within this majestic, crystalline structure, on their familiar beds, one last time.


Twilight found herself in a pitch black world of nothingness, but she was not by herself. Right in front of her was a surprising guest.

Grogar?

"You. You're only a memory." said Twilight dauntlessly. "This is a nightmare, and a tame one to boot."

"None of that has to mean I'm fake, Twilight." Grogar calmly argued.

"Still, we defeated you and have nothing else to fear." Twilight asserted.

"Yes. In a way, I defeated me, too." Grogar conceded.

"Are you proud that everycreature knows and acknowledges you existed?" Twilight asked.

"It's not a bad feeling." Grogar sincerely replied. "But answer this: are you fully certain your descendants will remember a New Equestria under your direct control?"

"Even if what you say is true, that future generations will forget this era of peace, don't think we'll let it's memory fade without a fight." Twilight avowed. "We have Faith on our side."

"Well, you need not take my word for it. Enjoy it to the fullest while it lasts." Grogar recommended. "Just withhold your surprise when it ends." With nothing more to say, the apparition of the dark wizard disappeared in a cloud of smoke.

"Twilight, wake up!" Spike's voice cried out from the void.


The young alicorn sprung awake to see the morning sun glare through her window.

"Twilight, hurry! You're gonna miss the train to Canterlot!" Spike hollered, full of adrenaline.

Twilight got out of bed and made a mad dash for the front entrance, where the remainder of her friends were waiting.

Starlight arrived to deliver a package at the exact moment the castle's doors were kicked open. She apologized for the late delivery, but the whole crew rushed past her.

"No time! See you later, Starlight!" Spike called out.

They moved as fast as they could, staying close, but were unable to get on the train to Canterlot before it left the Ponyville station. They were quite distressed. But, Twilight smiled as a thought came to her head.

"What are we thinking? Here's the best way to travel." Twilight announced. In a burst of light, her teleportation spell carried the seven of them all across the path ahead of them to the front entrance to the recovering royal city. No more boiling lava, but serene water. All around the area were extra towers and houses being constructed. Now there was her next plan. "Okay, let's make our presence known, and everything should be fine."

"Not yet. I'm a fair bit behind on weaving the star spider sash." Rarity objected.

"I hope Big Mac, Granny Smith and Apple Bloom figured out who gets what deliveries without me." Applejack thought out loud.

"I forgot the snacks for the birds that had to fly all this way!" Fluttershy worriedly mentioned. "Please let the pet shop still be open!" She ran off across the drawbridge.

"And I've got to meet with the Wonderbolts! Be right back!" said Rainbow with haste, flying off.

"Now, where is Maud? I got to find her and give the signal for the fireworks display, so she can take her seat." Pinkie added.

"Well, girls, from here... we see what happens." Twilight declared.


Big Mac and the rest of the Sweet Apple Acres family delivered a crate to the waiters at Canterlot. A crate that was meant to contain the finest sparkling apple cider to serve to the attendees.

"No worries, partner. We made sure of it a hundred times." Apple Bloom assured a male waiter, when he questioned what was inside.

Next up, they were taking a crate of what was supposed to contain apple sauce for the royal chefs.

"Open her up and see for yourself, youngin." Granny Smith said to a cheerful baker preparing to make an apple parfait, when he asked about the contents of the crate.


Rainbow soared through the sky back to the Wonderbolt Academy. She stopped halfway when she saw her teammates coming her way, leaving smoke trails behind.

"HEY!" Rainbow shouted. "Guys!"

"Rainbow, here you are!" Spitfire said. "We waited an hour, but when you didn't show, we thought you must've meant to meet us outside Canterlot."

"I came from there! Thanks for saving me a flight, let's go!" Rainbow commended, leading the squad back where she came. Things were looking lucky.


Twilight appeared near the doorway to the royal balcony, where Celestia and Luna waited. Despite the royal sisters no longer having wings, and their manes and tails no longer waving and defying gravity, the phoenix cores inside their bodies allowed for reconnection with their magic.

On the sisters' peytrals were amulets; one with a sun design for Celestia, and one with a moon design for Luna. Twilight invented these as an answer to the Bewitching Bell, on which many experiments were performed before it was finally sealed in a new, top secret hiding place. They housed their old cores, and were enchanted with primordial Harmony Magic so they could once again use their famous powers and other spells, without Malice Magic interfering or injecting it's poison. This is how they continued ruling until this day.

"Twilight, you're early." Luna pointed out.

"We missed the train, but I provided a shortcut." said Twilight, pointing to her horn.

Celestia restated her and Luna's pride in her former student. "You deserve as many hours to get ready as are required. It is your coronation."

"It starts in the afternoon." Luna added.

"Excellent!" Rarity chirped, walking in with her unfinished work for the occasion. "She's not putting on the crown without her coronation gown, or the regal image will be incomplete."

"Fair enough." Celestia accepted.


The morning passed, and the sun shined over the garden below the royal balcony in the afternoon. Every creature from every land was arriving to this great gathering, either taking their seats or watching everything from the air or a perch. Celestia and Luna presented themselves to the audience from their high ground.

"Citizens of Equestria and beyond!" the sun princess called.

Everyone, young and old, cheered, from the students, to the five clans that helped the ponies form the worldwide army, to the Pillars, to the kirin, to the buffalos, to the Klugetown fishfolk, to the parrot pirates, to the now tranquil monsters, including - but not limited to - Transformer, Stratadon, Berserker and the six Umbrums: Groggy, Chryssie, T, Rora, Windy and Cozy Glow the Second, to all that surrounded them.

"My sister and I have ruled this land for the longest time!" Celestia started. "But even we know that change, big change, comes for us all! And though we know it can be unsettling, it is as natural as the rising and the setting of the sun and the moon, both of which my sister and I feel confident leaving in the hooves of the pony who will come after us! More than a pony, she is an embodiment of the magical Harmony beneath us all that allows the world to stand!"

During the speech, friends, family and countless acquaintances watched on. Shining Armor was about to cry at seeing his little sister become the supreme sovereign. Discord was also there, being allowed to take a break from community service on this exceptional day. On the side of the table where Star Swirl, Mistmane, Rockhoof, Mage Meadowbrook, Somnambula and Flash Magnus sat, below everyone's notice, was a small, pony-shaped shadow with blinking white eyes and a smile. It seemed somehow, in his life after physical existence, Stygian was present, staying near, but unseen. Never touching, but always watching.

At the end, Twilight Sparkle came out behind the royal sisters, dressed up in her blue coronation garb, complimented by her finely done mane.

"And so without further ado, we say a final good-bye to the Equestria of old and implore you, everycreature, to say hello to the ruler of New Equestria - Great Princess Twilight Sparkle!" Celestia finished spectacularly.

Twilight almost tripped over herself at the announcement of her title. She couldn't help laughing and blushing. "Great Princess? You're too much."

Celestia had a laugh, and Luna joined in. This was an important moment and decision for Twilight and the both of them, but neither could resist having some fun while they were at it. Their need for giggles totally satisfied, they levitated their crowns off their heads with the amulets and combined them into one golden crown, bearing the new sovereign's Cutie Mark, for her to wear. The title of Great Princess would be carried along with it.


Returning to the present...

"So, how was the coronation?" Luster asked.

"Pretty standard, really." Spike confirmed. "Fortuitously so."

"Then, why did you drift apart anyway?" Luster queried, hoof on her chin. "Did your friendships just fade away overtime?"

"Not exactly." Twilight answered. Right on cue, a familiar face walked in.

It was the Element of Laughter, Pinkie Pie. She had arrived late, and brought with her a tiny colt with similarly curly, cloudlike hair - her son, Lil' Cheese - playing with a rubber chicken, saying it was hard to find him a babysitter with a sense of humour. Primordial Harmony magic had boosted her parties to heights that could potentially make contact with extraterrestrial beings.

The Element of Generosity, Rarity, trotted inside, clad in a fur coat. She mentioned that her arrival would have been sooner if business had not currently been booming in Yakyakistan. Harmony caused creative designs and efficient production strategies to constantly course through her mind, at a jaw-dropping rate, daily.

The Elements of Loyalty and Honesty, Rainbow Dash and Applejack, came in next, playfully arguing about one insisting on doing all the chores alone, and the other being unreliable help, shedding light on their tardiness. The farmer wore the scarf passed down from Granny Smith, and had become so in touch with soil, she could accelerate the growth of trees and healthy fruit. The flier had become so fast, she could circle the globe in seconds, almost like teleportation.

The Element of Kindness, Fluttershy, her mane tied up by a bluebell, walked out of a portal conjured by Discord. In the years since he was punished, the draconequus had served his sentence and earned back his Chaos Magic. Giving his best companion a paper lunch bag, he returned to his chaotic dimension. It was explained that he decided to go to an O&O convention instead of joining the six at this reunion. As for the no-longer-so-shy one, she could now literally read the minds of animals and tap into their memories or medical states.

It turns out that Luster was wrong to assume that just because they weren't regularly seeing each other these days, Twilight and the others' long friendship had ended.

"That's not the point of my story." Twilight affirmed. "Even if the coronation had been a disaster, it wouldn't have come between us."


Back in the past...

Dusk was approaching. Everyone was going home after the party. The only ones whom remained were Twilight and her friends.

"Hoo! I'm party pooped." Pinkie panted, sipping one little drop of apple cider.

Twilight seated herself at the table, exhausted from a long day of celebration. "Finally, no more autographs." This provoked laughter from the team. She perked up and shared the sentiment. "Thank goodness."

"Ditto." said Starlight from behind. "It's fortunate you still have the energy to laugh."

Spike held the package Starlight carried earlier behind his back. "We wanted to give this to you before you left Ponyville this morning, but things got a little hectic."

Starlight explained that with Twilight moving away from Ponyville, the gift may help her. It was taken and opened to reveal a scrapbook. One with moving pictures of Twilight and company's many memories, from their humble beginnings as friends to their latest achievements. This was the Book of Memories, and everyone pitched in help Starlight construct it.

Twilight loved the present, but she didn't want to only look back on the past. The important thing was their relationships as the Elements of Harmony, and their jobs in maintaining them. Rarity expressed uncertainty on how that would be possible with Twilight living in a different place, far from town. Therefore, as her first royal decree as New Equestria's ruler, she established an agreement for them to meet once every other moon, so that they could effectively rule Equestria as one.

From here on, the gang would be named... the Council of Friendship!

Celestia approved of this decree. Luna commented on how even when fate threatened to remove one Element from the others, a way is found to keep them linked. Celestia then said that she had no regrets about leaving New Equestria under the care and watchful eye of Twilight and her friends. She and her sister would still be around if they were needed, but now they had to go.

Luna hoped that the Council would come visit her, Celestia, and Scorpan, the last gargoyle, in the rebuilt Silver Shoals. She took a moment to opine about how good of a storyteller, artist and supply transporter their old Midnight Kingdom friend was. Celestia clarified this was the time for the Council to rule, because they've proven themselves more than capable. The group shared a hug for many seconds after that. Celestia and Luna, using their amulets' magic, projected translucent, white and blue wings, respectively, to wrap around the ponies and dragon.

That night, Twilight and Spike got 8 hours of calm, undisturbed sleep in their new beds. Nobody else around, except the castle staff.


This had been quite educational for young Luster Dawn. She realized, at this moment, she was standing between the Council of Friendship itself, and this was the time in the moon where they reunited for joint endeavors. This was their method of ruling together, and staying close to tackle whatever adventures in, and threats to, Equestria came after the war. Although, none of them reached anywhere near that cataclysmic level. Most importantly, it was how they stayed in contact with each other, no matter how busy their lives were getting.

Twilight likened friendship to a hard day's work. Effort was needed to keep it alive, but it was practically as essential to living as eating food and drinking water. Without friendship, without Faith, tying a perfect knot, life's going to be that much more difficult.

As a testament to how unbreakable the friendship of the Council really was, the six Element ponies underwent their Heart Rainbow Power metamorphoses for the first time since this power was first given to them. Seeing it again was indubitably breathtaking. Twilight let the kids in the room gaze in awe for a bit before the transformations were deactivated.

Luster Dawn was learning a valuable lesson, now that she heard how making friends could be a lot like working hard for her future. Her teacher's story illuminated the fact that the pursuit of camaraderie was more worth the time of day than she gave it credit for. Sadly, one fact remained. She focused on her personal studies for so long, she had no clue where to begin. Where should she go?

Twilight had the answer on standby ever since she first took the little unicorn under her wing. Ponyville.


All eight of them were teleported to the rebuilt, and larger, Ponyville, where life went on without the slightest hint of strife between earth ponies, pegasi and unicorns. Certain civilians waved "hello" to Luster, to which she waved back bashfully. They walked over to the redesigned Sugarcube Corner to drop off Lil' Cheese, where he met his Uncle Pound and Aunt Pumpkin. Also waiting there were a giant, adult Gummy the alligator, and Pinkie's husband, Cheese Sandwich. Luster was instantly endeared to this family.

The Council went to an air show to watch Rainbow Dash, the new Wonderbolt captain, guide her team through rings and clouds in a dazzling manner. Not only were new pegasi brought on to learn her ways and pay respects to the Wonderbolts from years of old, but their first ever Hippogriff teammate, Silverstream, was soaring along with them.

Everyone went to the School of Friendship - the one, only and true School of Friendship - to see Headmare Starlight Glimmer, Vice Headstallion Sunburst, Student Counselor Trixie and the Cutie Mark Crusaders turned Friendship Tutors, Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo. They also found Ocellus and Smolder hanging around there as teachers. Better yet, the School had more teachers employed than it ever did back in it's early years.

Next, Applejack gave Luster a personal trip to Sweet Apple Acres, where the orchard was lively as can be, and the barn had grown bigger than four houses. She wanted to pay a visit to her brother Big Mac, his wife - and thus Applejack's sister-in-law - Sugar Belle, and their own son - her nephew. Luster took an immediate liking to the new Apple child.

Rarity guided Luster to the vastly widened Carousel Boutique, just in time for the door to open and see Yona and Sandbar come out. The yak drew the earth pony and the Element unicorn into a group hug, happy as she has been since she was little. On her back was the most colourful Yakyakistan-style robe ever worn.

Fluttershy monitored the new animal sanctuary, where all of the animals under her care, as well as the numerous monsters that made peace with the rest of the world, settled in harmony, enjoying every minute of their freedom and unity. Cerberus, whom had been repositioned as the guardian of the sanctuary, had a mate and puppies. They eagerly welcomed the kind Element and Luster along with Angel Bunny's many, many rabbit kits. Discord was also around, bringing animals through portals and, most unlike what he was back then, doing cartwheels and backflips. He clearly, in no uncertain terms, liked moving around on his appendages now.

After today's tour, the sun was setting to allow the moon to go up. Luster was convinced that Ponyville is where she needed to get started. Twilight, Applejack, Pinkie, Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbow and Spike saw her off, waving "good-bye" when she left for town with some creatures she managed to get along with during that wonderful, enlightening day. A kirin, a yak, a griffon and an earth pony would be her first unmeditated experience with the joys and virtues of friendship. This was her path. Her page in the books to write. Her story's prologue.

For the quiet moments Twilight watched her number one student leave, her mind lingered on the many possibilities of the future for New Equestria and beyond. Peace has been kept between ponies and the other creatures for a long time, but if the peace could be broken like a twig after centuries of no such conflict to bring the Windigos forth, couldn't it easily happen again, and on an even grander scale? Those winter spirits will be back if it did.

Twilight agreed on a single thing she heard near the end of the war: the stability of friendship and love in Equestria could not be her responsibility forever, and she didn't want it to be. Her time had to come sooner or later. Moreover, there weren't any "fail-safes" she could come up with for such a bleak occurrence that wouldn't just be brainwashing, fearmongering, or both. Twilight considered herself better than nobody, and hoped everyone else would take charge of Equestria one day.

As for any concerns about Luster Dawn, she had faith that this youth would grow into a fantastic leader and hoped that she, in due time, would succeed her on the throne of Equestria, just like she did under the wings of Celestia and Luna. This did not mean she ruled out likely scenarios of her pupil going off this charted course. Luster said she wanted to accomplish as much as Twilight did, but so much could happen in her life over the years to follow that her goals and desires could easily, and heavily, change. There was no telling if becoming an alicorn, or a princess, were anything she's destined for.

Regardless of being the Elements of Harmony, Twilight's friends were still mortal ponies. They would grow old and cease to exist completely, and when they do, it will feel like barely any time had passed. In the end, they would permanently join the Treehouse of Harmony in it's branches and spend eternity together keeping their eyes on the world from it's heart. Twilight wished to join them the day all five of them were part of the Harmony Magic collective, forgoing her alicorn immortality. It was planned out: the last one of the Council whom would be entrusted with the throne of New Equestria, if Luster, or anyone else didn't rise to power in the Great Princess' place, was Spike. He was the failsafe, not to mention the long dragon life span he had ahead of him.

Those grim thoughts would repeat both in consciousness and in dreams for the remainder of Twilight Sparkle's lifetime. At the same time, she had more than enough reasons to enjoy the amazing, beautiful thing she and everyone she held dear had in this age of prosperity, so she was going to cherish it to the fullest. Be honest, generous, kind and loyal, laugh, and keep the magic spark of the Fire of Friendship alit with all she had. All she was. All she knew.

Twilight earned this. She was going to keep earning it. Finally, night fell over Equestria, spelling the end of the Council of Friendship's precious day, and the start of a valuable legacy.

Poetically, in some regard, sharing really was an easy feat. Magic, indeed, made it all complete.


♫ When I started out, I was unsure
I thought I knew all that I needed, didn't know what to expect
But when my walls came down, I saw the truth
All along something was missing
And I think you'll see it, too
This is where the magic happens
This is where the magic lives
Our friendships weave together stronger
The bonds grow deeper, lasting longer
And the greatest spell you'll know
Is how the Magic of Friendship grows

And no matter how much time goes by
The party will still be here with some fun new games to try

Big adventure's waiting obviously
Long as we're still here together
We'll be flying happily

This is where the magic happens (where the magic happens)
This is where the magic lives (where the magic lives)
Our friendships weave together stronger
The bonds grow deeper, lasting longer
And the greatest spell there is
What the Magic of Friendship gives

And it's somethin' true to pass on down
To generations yet to come

And we'll never stop believing in
The generosity of the friendships we've won

And because the love that I feel
For every single living creature is something that is real
Friendship happens so naturally

Oh, and how I used to wonder

(Ahhh-ahhh-ahhh...)

What friendship could be!

This is where the magic happens (where the magic happens)
This is where the magic lives (where the magic lives)
Our friendships weave together stronger
The bonds grow deeper, lasting longer
And the greatest spell you'll know (you'll know)
Is how the Magic of Friendship grows

How the Magic of Friendship grows ♫

Author's Note:

How to start off these final Author's Note? With something that is totally petty, the title of the original episode this epilogue is based on. The Last Problem is a suitable title, don't get me wrong, but I felt that with The Last Crusade and The Last Laugh in the same season, "The Last [Noun]" as an episode title was getting a little overused. So, if it were up to me, I'd name this last episode "The Final Problem". I know the word 'final' is just a synonym for 'last', but I think it earns extra poignancy points for the fact that it's one letter away from 'finale', which the episode was produced to be for the show and the entire G4 My Little Pony brand.

Okay, on to the bigger fish to fry. I admit that what I typed here, for the most part, adheres to the story that was presented to us Friendship is Magic fans at prime-time, and that's because, unlike The Ending of the End, I think The Last Problem is a good, neatly crafted episode that ended the series on a bright and heartwarming note. Really, I mainly had to do this epilogue that slightly tweaks it so I can have a version of the episode that could exist congruently in the alternate universe continuity I created with The End of the Era, since the final two-parter of official canon is explicitly referenced in the O.E. and is, in consequence (unfortunately), unskippable. If not for that, I'd leave this well-and-good piece of animation alone. However, there are still elements of it that irritate me beyond the reminders of The Ending of the End.

For starters, regarding voice work rather than scenario writing, I can completely understand and accept adult Spike having his voice not change much, if at all, from when he was little, without issue. Cathy Weseluck had been playing this character since the very first episode, and it wouldn't have been right to replace her with whatever guy they had to choose from for the swan song of the show just so he could sound like the reptilian mountain of muscle he grew into. Where I have to scratch my head (and laugh) is the fact Twilight Sparkle still has her squeaky late-series voice on a body that resembles Celestia's. Tara Strong, regardless of her real life personality, is not a stranger to deeper pitched voice acting, and it couldn't have been too much to direct her to use the regular voice in the flashbacks and something more mature and serene for the post-time skip scenes. That is why I described her voice in this quasi-rewrite as something that'd match better with that long, intimidating form.

Now for the writing, I personally found how Twilight's friends overworking because of their desire to see a perfect coronation celebration for her to be stretched to utter, eye-rolling absurdity for a few reasons. First: Applejack seriously left Big Mac alone with the stocks of apple products, Rarity used star spiders to weave a dress and didn't make sure they were out of the way when the job was just about done, Fluttershy didn't think of a safe distance for the animals to play their music, Rainbow somehow got to the Wonderbolt Academy within seconds, but slowed to a crawl when getting from there to Canterlot, only arriving when the sun was setting, and Pinkie, for real, put her dopey pet alligator in charge of the fireworks instead of any of the myriad of intelligent life forms she knows? There's stress, there's forgetfulness, and then there's dangerous obliviousness. Second: are you telling me they put in so little time into the coronation preparations, they were in a desperate rush to get them anywhere near done and lay out the plans by the day it took place? Yeah, I found that hard to buy, so I moved everything they had been doing originally to the day before and let them worry about catching the train in the morning.

A reason I changed the time of day was so I could fit in an extra scene that the O.E. didn't have, featuring Grogar in a dream. You remember in Chapter 16's Author's Notes where I mentioned I had a scrapped scene of Grogar appearing as a ghost, living on in some way after his death and speaking to the heroes? Well, I always had the intention of having a nightmare chat sequence between him and Twilight in this epilogue, but after I decided not to have the Ghost Grogar moment, lines I had intended for the guy to say then were repurposed for the finalization of his appearance here. Additionally, just like the dream demons, this an homage to when his G1 counterpart intercepted someone's mind in their sleep.

One necessary omission, for me, was Twilight freaking out in another "Oh, how typical, Twilight!" type of moment while getting ready to move out of the Castle of Friendship. The gag already went stale after A Trivial Pursuit, and it was another way in which they devalued her much-needed development (demonstrated in The Summer Sun Setback) right at the finish line.

A minor detail I felt was necessary was a somewhat vague, yet clear answer to what happened to Cozy Glow after her evil weakened enough for the Malice Magic to affect her heart and she sought to give her life worth on her own. If you thought she was getting off a little (or really) easy after what she has committed against ponykind and Yakyakistan, there's a clue in that newspaper as to where she has been taken. I'm sure you can guess. I did previously hint that Twilight was going to figure out something to do with the kid, but if you needed a more conclusive idea, wish granted.

In my opinion, the entire scene of the coronation going wrong was fat that could've been easily trimmed. Besides it being an unfunny retread of a joke that had gone dry, the part of the episode's message concerning "things never going to plan", as well as it's question on whether Twilight's friendships were really meant to last, were getting by fine without it. However, though it is one of the most important occasions of Twilight's life, I do see that a straight celebration treated 100% with dignity would've felt like a rehash of Magical Mystery Cure's ending. so I went with a third option: removing it entirely and having one of the characters opine about it in a moment of dry humour. Not that I didn't envision a wholly dignified coronation sequence in planning, but I'm content with axing the moment and the storytelling space it saves up by it's exclusion.

On a smaller note about the episode's progression, I think it was rather silly that Twilight didn't think to skip the train and teleport herself and her friends all the way to Canterlot, even after they got on the train. They really made the trip more complicated than it needed to be. Hence my insertion of the "shortcut" I made Twilight take to be as efficient as she was in packing her items.

What is the title of "Great Princess", you ask? It's a special title Celestia invented just for Twilight, denoting her status as not only a great leader and the royal successor of Equestria, but as a literal, physical, world-changing deity whom is one with the Harmony Magic below the soil every living thing walks on, and shall be looked up to as a paragon of righteousness and knowledge. Celestia used to be perceived by the fandom as this kind of figure in the earliest days of the show, before she received an iota of character exploration, so I believed it was right for Twilight to be dubbed the supreme being that Celestia never actually was. "Great Princess" basically means "all-powerful, indestructible, vigilant lord and master".

I never really got into it in the epilogue itself, but I'll briefly touch on it here: Lil' Cheese is half Element of Laughter, thanks to his mother having evolved from a regular pony to a source of ultimate power.

If you were disappointed by Silverstream having a dream in Uprooted where she was given the honour of being the first non-pegasus Wonderbolt, then never seeing that fulfilled, worry not. You've come to the right place for some semblance of a payoff to the idea.

Acknowledging that the walls of text concerning Twilight's anticipation of the future put a little bitterness on the sweet and happy ending this was meant to be, I thought this last portion of the epilogue was a convenient spot to put into words the likely events that could take place in the world of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (well, this version of it, anyway) after the point where the book closes on the story. It all sounds dour, but it serves to show how much more savvy and wise our main character has grown from years of ruling her homeland, and correlates with the future's perpetual "terror of the unknown" factor.

A final thought about the O.E. that has to do with the music: the ending shot and it's use of the My Little Pony theme song melody to cap off the final song, right before it cuts to black, is utter perfection. Then the end credits roll with the silly, bouncy Friendship is Magic theme song, and it's the most painful case of mood whiplash I ever experienced at the end of an episode! If I could apply one fix to The Last Problem, it would be to play the end credits in silence. You know, a quiet moment to take in that this lovely, revolutionary, meaningful cartoon is over, and think about where to go next as fans of the property it promoted. At least until the DHX Media and AllSpark Pictures logos pop up. That's how this modified version would end as well, if it were real. Yes, I know the mute button exists, but that doesn't change how it was made to hit us with a lighthearted jump-scare on the first viewing.

Final Author's Note: I contemplated the final line of narration. I can see what I settled on as looking cheesy to read, but I had a need to have one more bit of fun with a rhyme, because I like rhymes. Forgive me.

And... that is that, everybody. For real this time, we're at Point B. The End. 2+ years... 2+ years of typing this project and getting it out to the Internet public, part by part, chapter by chapter, and we've reached the conclusion to this lengthy, challenging and often delayed journey. The Planet Earth in which I began The End of an Era is not exactly the same one in which we live in now, where I have brought it to outright completion. It wasn't easy to create a full story in 16 chapters with a prologue and epilogue, even with pre-existing material to adjust. I often doubted I would ever get to this point. I convinced myself on certain days that I would leave this untouched with only a handful of chapters to read by the time I was 30 years old. But, I never came close to deciding to cancel it altogether. Why? Because this project meant something to me, as Friendship is Magic has since I got drawn into the middle of it's hype back in 2012. Rewatching the canon finale only made the drive to see myself finish this rewrite even stronger. I'm not good at dramatic, sentimental speeches about media I have a longtime love for, but I care about Friendship is Magic very much, so I wanted to pay my respects to it by creating an iteration of it's grand finale that fully encompassed what I was excited for in it's last season, what I always loved about the series, and what made for an epic way for an important section of a franchise to bow out. Last, but not least, I aimed to tell a cohesive story that I wish will resonate in ways the source material didn't.

To everybody who has read all this way, given the rewrite views, left comments here and there, and even gone as far as to give it a TV Tropes page (not kidding), you have my eternal thanks from the bottom of my heart. To this gigantic chapter of my life, it's time to say "farewell". I'm done, and I'm ready for my next MLP storytelling journey, whenever that may come, so stick around if you'd like. Heck, read this all over again sometime, if you've got a lot of hours to spare.

Here be Stache Hand the Clutcher, out and about!

Comments ( 4 )

Expected reformations. The actaul freindship.. got a a copy pasta somewhat on the original s9 same hypocritical as the original... i am never pre liking a story again.

wow a 2 year job! I can already imagine that weight... I've been with a story for a year now so I understand it.

I think I'll take some time to review this fic, it has quite long chapters, most of them with more than 6000 words, Uuuu it's... quite a bit.

About this last chapter, did they skip the train? Well, I did like that detail in the final episode, is it appropriate to ignore it? Of course, with magic that would have been easy, but then it would have been more effective but less fun. Curious.

11797572
After they missed the train, Twilight teleported herself and her friends from the Ponyville train station all the way to the entrance to Canterlot in one shot.

Thank you in advance for the review.

You’ve done a fantastic job rewriting the series finale and giving it some major changes while also not making it too different from the canon one! I’m happy to have been part of the ride, and I eagerly look forward on how you rewrite A New Generation (along with combining Make Your Mark and Tell Your Tale together)!

A final thought about the O.E. that has to do with the music: the ending shot and it's use of the My Little Pony theme song melody to cap off the final song, right before it cuts to black, is utter perfection. Then the end credits roll with the silly, bouncy Friendship is Magic theme song,and it's the most painful cases of mood whiplash I ever experienced at the end of an episode! If I could apply one fix to The Last Problem, it would be to play the end credits in silence. You know, a quiet moment to take in that this lovely, revolutionary, meaningful cartoon is over, and think about where to go next as fans of the property it promoted. At least until the DHX Media and AllSpark Picture logos pop up. That's how this modified version would end as well, if it were real. Yes, I know the mute button exists, but that doesn't change how it was made to hit us with a lighthearted jump-scare on the first viewing.

To be honest, however, I’m on the boat that thinks the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic theme song should’ve played in full at the end credits while also showing scenes from the series and the actors who brought all of the characters to life. But if you’re looking for something that fits the tone, here’s this:

Login or register to comment