• Published 29th Oct 2020
  • 430 Views, 23 Comments

Yldduc - Dragonfire2lm



A fluffy, one-eyed, amorphous thing arrives in Ponyville. It just wants to make some friends. It's attempts to interact with ponies don't go very well.

  • ...
0
 23
 430

Bonus: Notes on the Yldduc Race

Author's Note:

These were the notes I used as the basis for Mittens species, the Yldduc. I wanted to make an alien species that had hallmarks of horror/sci-fi monsters but also could be portrayed as cute instead of scary. It also had to be simple because character descriptions aren't my strong point, at all.

Mittens spacing out around anything dark blue was added halfway through writing the story and I couldn't be bothered to add onto the notes, lol.

Mittens being obsessed with boxes is purely a Mittens thing and not a trait shared by her species.

Plus I like cute, fluffy things :)

Yldduc are entities that are around four feet tall, spherical, oval, loaf-shaped or egg-shaped creatures with cat-like ears, covered in thick, fluffy fur with the number of eyes varying between individuals. They have no skeletal structure and are capable of rapidly altering their physiology to suit their needs, interacting with objects via fur covered tentacles and move primarily by growing dozens of stubby, fuzzy legs covered in hooked hairs. They are incredibly fast and highly adaptable. Their fur is so thick it is seemingly endless and protects them from harm as it is virtually indestructible. Breathing for these creatures is an involuntary action to keep their form in a stable state and indicator of emotional state, as opposed to a need for oxygen.

A group of Yldduc is called a bundle.

The Yldduc are a sentient, telepathic race that form symbiotic relationships with other beings. By mimicing a local or similarly harmless entity, they entice others to form an emotional attachment to it in order for it to generate the energy it needs to maintain itself. This energy can be gained from friendship, romantic relationships or general acceptance by a community or society. They do not need physical food, but will accept food or participate in mealtimes as a bonding activity and can give themselves a sense of taste.

Yldduc are capable of creating objects to use as gifts, everything from money to textiles and even food. This consumes energy and can make them sick if they do it for an extended period of time. They cannot make anything larger than themselves and must be familiar with the object in order to make it.

They will seek out civilizations in a period of peace, mimic the general body shape of the local populace and attempt to find a place in said society, though they can also take on the form of animals kept as pets. Anything the locals recognize as alive, harmless and is a common sight in their society are the parameters the Yldduc use for the forms they take.

Comments ( 12 )

Yay, it's here!

This was nice :twilightsmile:

10506935
Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

Very interessting race discribtion. I like it very mutch.

Ri2

Oh gosh they're so adorable

But what about our protagonist's human friend? They can never go back to them?

10507265
Mittens had to say goodbye to her human friend to take part in the Equestria Mission.

I'm glad you like this.

10507952
Tactical. Espionage. Action.

I hope there's going to be a sequel to this. Seeing her interact with the ponies of ponyville and possibly getting an apology from the one who kept yelling at her would be great to see.

11428038
Aw, thank you! I'm glad you like this, I might come back to this and write a slice-of-life fic or something. I've been busy with other fics over on AO3.

Login or register to comment