• Published 19th Jun 2020
  • 1,954 Views, 80 Comments

HMHS The Hospital Ship of Mystery - Northguard



A ship nopony has seen before shows up in Manehattan. The mane 6 investigate, but what they find isn't what they expected.

  • ...
1
 80
 1,954

Engine Trouble

Pinkie, Fluttershy and Rarity walked down a narrow staircase made of metal that led further down into the ship the sound of steam and something being in motion became louder the further down they came.

Eventually they came to a catwalk that stretched into a large open room. Along both walls were pistons as big as pillars moving up and down as the sound of steam was audibly coming from them. These were obviously the ship's source of power. The three friends looked at all the machinery in awe and bewilderment. Neither of them had ever seen anything like it before, even Pinkie was speechless. Subconsciously they began making their way around the catwalk and soon they were making their way down another staircase. This one led down to the lowest level of the room.

After walking around, they found a telegraph that looked almost identical to those on the bridge was standing with the handle standing according to the pointing arrow behind the glass of the dial. The dial had some forms of slots with words written in them. They were almost mirrored with the words "slow", "half" and "full" only difference being the words "ahead" and "astern" were on their own respective side. On the top in the middle was the word "stop". Beside stop on both sides, and above the "ahead" and "astern" indications were the words "dead slow ahead/astern". These were now very clearly the indications for the speed the ship was moving. Right now, the ship was steaming full ahead.

Rarity got a thoughtful look as she studied the telegraph. An idea suddenly lit up, but gravity was a thing, so the light bulb fell down on her head before falling onto the ground with a loud crash, but for some reason disappearing immediately after that.

"Girls, I think I may have an idea for how we can try to turn this ship around." she said with a smirk.

"Oh!" Pinkie said, bouncing up and down. "What is it, what is it?!"

"Well, Twilight taught me a communication spell a little while ago to make long distance communication possible in case it was needed. And I think that since this ship seems to go by what these pedestals, or whatever they are, point at." Rarity explained as Pinkie and Fluttershy listened closely. "If I use the communication spell with Twilight, I can tell her to go to the bridge and move these handles that are mounted on these contraptions, as I think these will be connected, in order to make it swing and go back to Manehattan." she finished.

Pinkie and Fluttershy responded by nodding as they didn't really understand but got the basic idea.

Rarity lit her horn and concentrated on finding Twilight's magical reading. It didn't take long before a small orb of light started to appear on the tip of Rarity's horn, which soon started to float into the air a few inches from Rarity's horn, still connected by a small line of magic.

"Hello? Rarity?" Twilight's voice echoed through the small orb of light.

"Hello Twilight. I think I've found a way to make this ship turn back." Rarity said proudly.

"Really?" Twilight asked confused.

"Yes. Although I'm not sure it will work, I think we should try."


Twilight opened a door that opened to the sun deck and she began making her towards the bridge. It took a few minutes, but she soon found herself standing behind the helm.

"Okay Rarity, I'm here. What do I do?" she asked the orb of light that was floating just above her horn.

"Excellent. You see those pedestal looking things? I want you to grab the handle of the one that has the words "port engine" written on it. Grab the handle and pull it back until it reaches "full astern". When you've done that, go to all the others and pull the handles to "stop". Lastly take the wheel in the middle of the room and rotate it to the left until it doesn't go anymore." Rarity explained.

Twilight did accordingly and grabbed the port engine telegraph's handle and pulled it backwards until it reached "full astern" with a satisfying clicking noise as it did. Accordingly, to her instructions she went to the rest of the telegraphs and pulled their handles to "stop". After that she then went over to the helm and began rotating it towards the left until it suddenly stopped and didn't move further.

"Good work Twilight. We heard a bell-like noise coming from all the same pedestal looking things here now and the arrow has moved on the one I stand beside. Just hold the wheel until further notice." Rarity's voice said before the orb went silent again.


In the engine room Rarity and Pinkie took to moving the handles on the separate telegraphs according to what the arrow said.

After that a lot seemed to happen at once.

A wheel that was elevated horizontally began slightly rotating before Pinkie, as if on command, zipped over to it and began spinning it as fast as possible as the engines began slowing down. When they were about to stop, Fluttershy suddenly rushed towards a lever and pulled it down making the engines seemingly locking in position with a loud boom before they slowly began rotating the opposite way of what they did before, going faster and faster as time went on.


Twilight held the helm in place as she watched the bow's movement. After some time, the bow began slowly turning to the left. It continued without stopping and soon the ship had almost turned around.

"Twilight! Let the wheel go and turn all handles on the pedestals to "full ahead" before the ship swings in circles." Rarity called through the spell.

Twilight did accordingly and let the wheel go, which spun back as she turned all handles on the telegraphs to "full ahead" again. Soon the indicating arrow followed suit, confirming the command. Stepping out from the bridge Twilight watched as the ship steamed ahead with its new course.

"We did it!" she shouted in victory as she threw her arms in the air.

Then suddenly the clanking sound of the telegraphs filled her ears and her head whipped in the direction of the sound to see the handles of the telegraphs changing to the same setting they had used to turn it around.

Twilight rushed into the room and grabbed the handle of one of the telegraphs to put it back in position, but when she did, voices plagued her mind. Initially she relented, but soon steeled herself and made a second attempt. The voices shouted and screamed at her, but she ignored them and kept on pulling at the handle seemingly stuck or held back by something. The more she pulled the louder the voices got, and it soon became unbearably loud. Eventually it was too much for Twilight and she let out a scream of pain as she grabbed at her head before she passed out and the communication spell was broken.


Back in the engine room things also got out of hand quickly. After Twilight's scream of pain and the communication spell being broken, everything seemed to come to life as all the equipment began operating itself. Engines began slowing down before stopping and starting to go in reverse. All attempts Rarity, Pinkie and Fluttershy made to stop it were futile and soon the ship had turned around again. Steaming full speed ahead on the same course it had before.


At the stern Applejack took notice of the ship's sudden course changing but didn't dare investigate since a certain Rainbow maned mare was still asleep on her lap. If she tried to stand Rainbow would begin to whimper as if she was trying to keep Applejack there.

"Oh Rainbow, if only ya knew how cute ya are like that." Applejack sighed as she stroked the mare's cheek.

Author's Note:

Written over a short span of time, but I'll do my best for fixing mistakes that I may have missed.

I may have gotten the engine mechanisms wrong, but I did my best.

The middle engine of an Olympic-class ship is a steam turbine instead of the Piston engine the other two were. Thus, I didn't directly write about it.

Comments ( 13 )

Is the ship the former RMS Britanic?

10812277
Yes.

HMHS Britannic, sister ship of the RMS Olympic and the RMS Titanic, the third and final Olympic-class ocean liner. Originally named RMS Britannic, she was instead converted into a hospital ship merely 11 days after completion as HMHS Britannic.

awesome chapter mate keep it up cant wait for the next chapter:pinkiehappy::twilightsmile:

10812446
Thank you kindly:twilightsmile:

well, shit go down hill from here.

Correct, the. The center engine was low pressure turbine, and could not reverse,only go ahead. This is getting Interesting. 'Axe

update on when the next chapter will come out?:heart::pinkiecrazy:

11448929
I have been very busy recently. I have also had a number of writer's blocks over time, but I will try to get a new chapter done as soon as possible.

Any progress on the next chapter?

11611401
Not at the moment, I have been very occupied with school as well as having low motivation. I'll try to get back on it as soon as I can.

Comment posted by Buraki deleted April 17th

This night will mark the 112th anniversary of Titanic's loss.:fluttershysad:
Also it will mark the 135th anniversary of president Abraham Lincoln's death as well.:fluttercry:
If you mourn ether or both their losses please pray for them...:pinkiesad2:

April 14 to 15 2024:pinkiesad2:

Login or register to comment