• Published 16th Mar 2020
  • 2,168 Views, 84 Comments

Altered Perspectives: Adapting to Change - CapNTilfy



The students and staff of Crystal Prep Academy continue to struggle to come to terms with what happened at the Friendship Games.

  • ...
2
 84
 2,168

Explanations

Cadance blinked, confused. “Equestria?”

“Yes,” Sunset said. “The place where all of those portals led to.”

Cadance paused for a moment, then her eyes widened as she realized she was talking to the very same girl who transformed and fought against Twilight. The one who welcomed her former charge with open arms into a tight-knit group of friends, showing no hesitancy even after all the havoc that was wrought.

Cadance knew this was someone she could trust. “And how do you know that?”

“Because… that’s where I came from.”

“You’re… you’re a horse,” Cadance said in disbelief.

“She’s a pony,” a familiar voice chirped in the background.

“Are you on speakerphone?”

Sunset muttered under her breath. “I am now, but yes. I’m a pony.”

“I might as well put on my speakerphone too. I’m with someone else who might want to hear this.”

“Someone else?”

“Yes,” Hope said.

“Radiant Hope!” Twilight’s voice startled Cadance, much to Hope’s amusement.

“Can we trust her,” Sunset asked Twilight.

“Yes,” Twilight said almost immediately. “Without a doubt.”

“Okay. Girls, why don’t you introduce yourselves?”

Introductions were made, and as each girl spoke, Cadance swiftly put faces to the voices she was hearing. It was also at that very moment that she remembered having seen them even before the Friendship Games!

“You’re the girl from Sushi-Mi,” Cadance exclaimed.

That’s why her name sounded familiar,” Hope said.

“I… um… thought I saw you both from somewhere,” Fluttershy said. “Those adorable puppies were very rambunctious, weren’t they?”

“Goodness, this is quite the coincidence,” Rarity said in awe. “You both visited Carousel Boutique during my shift!”

“Land’s sake! I woulda recognized y’all from then, but I was a mite distracted!”

“Holy shit, you’re the women that bonked that kid on the head with a basketball!”

Pinkie squealed. “You were a blast to serve at Sweet Snacks Cafe! Thanks for the five-star review!”

“Okay,” Sunset said in surprise. “The fact that you saw all six of us had to have been more than just a coincidence.”

“You mean like fate,” Hope asked.

“Exactly… but we’re getting off-track here.”

“Agreed,” Cadence said. “I have many, many questions for you, Sunset Shimmer.”

“I figured you would.”

“To start off, how did Cinch get to… Equestria, was it?”

There was a pause.

“You can tell her,” Twilight said.

Sunset sighed. “There’s a portal leading directly to Equestria from the plinth that used to have a horse statue on top. Cinch found it by accident.”

“By… accident?”

“Yes. All I know is that Cinch ran into Twilight and-”

Cadance’s eyes widened. “Twilight? What were you doing there?”

“I wasn’t there,” Twilight replied. “Sunset’s… referring to my counterpart.”

“Your… counterpart.”

“Yes. I met her just after the Friendship Games.”
It took but a moment for all the pieces to fit for Cadance.

“Oh my god,” Cadance whispered. “It all makes sense. That’s-” she stopped herself mid-sentence. She didn’t want to let on that she had seen the other Twilight before. That would arouse suspicion, and that was something she wanted to avoid! “That’s why everyone at Canterlot High knew Twilight’s name…”

“Yes.”

“Do any of you know why Twilight’s counterpart visited Canterlot High?”

Sunset heaved a long sigh. “I do. She came here because I stole her crown.”

“Her… crown?”

“Yeah. Equestria’s Twilight is the Princess of Friendship.”

Cadence couldn’t help but snort. She’d never heard of princesses ruling over abstract concepts, but she kept that thought to herself. It would be unwise of her to mock a foreign culture, no matter how absurd it sounded to her!

“The Princess of Friendship,” Hope asked with a raised eyebrow. “Interesting… what other sorts of princesses do you have?”

“Principal Celestia and Vice-Principal Luna’s counterparts are the Princesses of the Day and Night respectively. Cadance… your counterpart is the Princess of Love.”

Cadance’s jaw dropped, and she fell speechless for a moment…

…then burst into a laughing fit.

A couple of minutes passed, and Cadance wiped a tear from her eye. “I’m sorry,” she said once she calmed down. “I find a sort of… irony in that.”

An awkward silence followed, and Hope put a hand on Cadance’s shoulder. “Maybe not for much longer,” she whispered, then winked.

Cadence smiled, then cleared her throat. “Sunset. Why did you steal Twilight’s crown?”

“I wasn’t exactly a nice person when I first came over…” Sunset proceeded to tell Cadance and Hope about her earlier self. Her self-absorbed, arrogant, conniving, manipulative self. What she did. Why she did it. All the hurt she had caused along the way. The visions she received from the rainbow that fateful night at the Fall Formal.

Sunset shuddered as she finished. “But that’s in the past, and I’m done looking back. There’s no sense in beating myself up over something that can’t be changed.”

“Speaking of the past,” Cadence said. “What about the Musical Showcase?”

“That was something completely different…” Sunset told Hope and Cadance everything, from herself giving the Dazzlings a tour of the school to the end of the Battle of the Bands.

“Sirens,” Cadence said in disbelief. “You’re telling me there’s three immortal girls out there?”

“Not immortal, just ageless. They’re no longer a threat.”

Cadence pinched the bridge of her nose. “This is a lot to take in.”

“We know,” Rarity chimed in. “And we were all there!”

Murmurs of agreement sounded off on the other end.

“What happened with Cinch and Twilight?”

“There was a bit of an altercation between them,” Sunset said. “Cinch said that exploring Equestria would immortalize her. If word got out about the portal, all sorts of chaos could ensue!”

Cadance slammed a fist on the coffee table, startling everyone. “Goddamn her,” she growled. “It wasn’t enough that she endangered innocent lives just to win a competition…"

“Cadance,” Hope said softly. “Breathe.”

Cadance took a deep breath as she put her arm to her chest, then exhaled as she extended her arm outward.

“What kind of meanie becomes a Headmistress,” Pinkie asked. “How does that even happen?

Cadance narrowed her eyes. “I’ll tell you how. She poisoned my mother and usurped her position as Headmistress!”

“I can verify that,” Twilight said.

“How the hell do you know that,” Rainbow demanded.

“I hacked into Crystal Prep’s database to get dirt on people so they’d stop harassing Lemon Zest,” Twilight said sheepishly.

Silence fell, and Cadance could imagine that all the girls, save for Twilight, had their jaws agape. The thought calmed her, and she giggled softly.

“Didn’t see that coming,” Pinkie said.

“Okay, so you have a personal stake in this too,” Sunset said, then hummed. “What do you say to us helping you out a little?”

Cadance felt like she’d need all the help she could get. “I wouldn’t mind.” She stood up.

“Where are you going,” Hope asked.

“To the kitchen. I have a feeling we’re going to need some coffee!”

Comments ( 13 )

“There was a bit of an altercation between them,” Sunset said. “Cinch said that exploring Equestria would immortalize her. If word got out about the portal, all sorts of chaos could ensue!”

I mean, all they would have to do is keep the portal closed and let the madwoman rave and rant about a broken plint. She'd make a fool out of herself and interest in and rumours about a supposed portal would be shelved as an hoax. Win-win.

Also someone please point out to her face that Cinch made an enemy out of the government on the other side of the portal. For a social hawk like that, that would be the ultimate humiliation.

I wish we'd see this in the series: a non-magical human making comments on the world of Equestria.

11050808
So what Cinch did was bad, but everything her friends do gets a free pass? You know, that really does show how much of a hypocrite Twilight is. Why does Celestia think so highly of her, anyway? Why does anyone? You don't see that happening with Nycto or Anopheli.

11526945
Ik but wasn't sure how to react.

“Exactly… but we’re getting off-track here.”

Still a surprise nonetheless. :applejackunsure:

“Didn’t see that coming,” Pinkie said.

And here I thought Applejack was gonna say it. :ajsmug:

Cadance felt like she’d need all the help she could get. “I wouldn’t mind.” She stood up.”

up.*

Sure can't wait for the next chapter to be out, whenever that'll be that is. :unsuresweetie:

11527367
Yeah, sorry about that. :twilightsheepish: I'm focusing on another series at the moment, which is part of the same continuity. Once I complete that I'll come back to this.

Just got caught up. Looking forward to seeing more. :twilightsmile:

11741368
Thank you! You'll have to wait a while, unfortunately. I'm currently focusing on another series and until that's finished, the Crystal Prep Chronicles is on hiatus.

Login or register to comment