• Published 16th Mar 2020
  • 2,167 Views, 84 Comments

Altered Perspectives: Adapting to Change - CapNTilfy



The students and staff of Crystal Prep Academy continue to struggle to come to terms with what happened at the Friendship Games.

  • ...
2
 84
 2,167

Shower Thoughts

Cadance stepped into her bathroom and turned the water on, then took some headache medicine. Steam began to rise from behind her shower curtain, and she walked in.

Hot water began to cascade down Cadance's back, and she heaved a long sigh of relief. She had a lot to mentally unpack, and she knew she wouldn't be done by the time Hope arrived!

...No. She needed to relax, and this was the perfect time and place to do so! Hope wouldn't be here for a while, after all!

Cadance carefully lowered herself down to a laying position, then put her arms behind her head, leaning it against the wall as she stared up at the ceiling. Warmth began to spread down her body as the hot water rained on her chest. She shuddered with a smile, then let her thoughts wander.

Cadance thought about Hope's pregnancy announcement. She was happy for her, yet slightly jealous. Married with the man of her dreams. Expecting her third child. She put a hand on her stomach, imagining what it must feel like to have a life growing inside of her.

Cadance laughed softly as she ran her thumb up and down her stomach. Hopefully someday she'd have a ring on her finger a child inside her. Not now, however, as there was still much work to be done... She paused, then grit her teeth. She wanted to relax, not keep her mind on work or S.M.I.L.E.!

Cadance let out a grunt of frustration, then carefully stood back up. How could she possibly relax after everything that happened? She didn't know, but she was damn well going to try! After all, if those six Canterlot High girls could stare magic in the face and relax later, so could she!

...Right?

Cadance frowned, then began to wash herself. She closed her eyes and focused on the sound of the shower water splashing on the tub and the fan in her bathroom. She began to feel calm wash over her, and felt a resolve to stay calm for as long as she possibly could!

Calm. She needed more of that in her life. Ever since her mother's death, Cadance had been a wreck. Driven by vengeance and grief since that day, even more so after that grave miscarriage of justice that allowed that damnable Cinch to walk free!

Cadance blinked, realizing she had clenched her hands into fists as she shook with fury. She slowly shook her head, then closed her eyes. She put her hand to her chest as she took a deep breath, then slowly extended it as she exhaled. Her breathing steadied, and she went back to washing herself.

Case in point, Cadance thought, then went back to focusing on the ambience around herself.

As she did so, she counted herself lucky to have people in her life such as Luna, Hope, and Neighsay. Those three were blessings in a human form! Without them, Cadance had no doubt in her mind that she'd be too far gone.

Without Hope, Luna, and by extension Celestia, Cadance wouldn't have had any true friends. She'd just have acquaintances that she'd talk to in passing. No long-lasting connections with other people... she even doubted S.M.I.L.E. would have come into existence without them!

Without Neighsay, she wouldn't have had a parental figure. She wouldn't have had someone to guide her through her anger and grief, while supporting her in her efforts.

Cadance shuddered to imagine life without those important people. If she had at worst a tenuous hold on her rage now, how much worse off would she have been?

No... Cadance shouldn't think of such things. That line of thinking never did anybody any favors.

A stray thought about Shining Armor calmed her. She couldn't help but smile and sigh dreamily. Why did this happen now, of all times? Couldn't it have happened just before all the chaos or after Cinch was ousted?

"The Arrow of Love will strike you someday, whether you want it to or not. It happens to just about everybody."

Cadance laughed softly as she shook her head slowly, wishing that the Higher Powers had a better sense of timing. What was she going to do with herself?

She was definitely going to tell Shining how she felt. Forget waiting until after her mission was complete, she knew that holding back her feelings was unhealthy. She just hoped that wouldn't change her dynamic with him for the worse.

As Cadance began to wash her hair, a thought occurred to her. Maybe Hope had some insight on how to tell Shining how she felt about him. Unfortunately for her, that thought of romantic feelings brought back memories of all the people she had to reject over the years.

Cadance experienced small twinges of sadness and guilt as each face flashed in her mind. One by one they appeared, giving her the feeling of bittersweet nostalgia. She frowned, as the faces of those who had feelings for her were followed by faces of people she had crushes on. Cute guys, emotionally attractive guys, passionate women, sexy women...

Cadance sighed, shaking her head slowly as she finished with her hair. Love was a beautiful, complicated mess sometimes. Despite that, she felt that all forms of love were essential in the world. Gay, straight, platonic, familial, romantic... what kind of a world would we be in without it?

Cadance got out of the shower and dried off. By the time she got dressed, there was a knock on her door.