• Published 16th Mar 2020
  • 2,163 Views, 84 Comments

Altered Perspectives: Adapting to Change - CapNTilfy



The students and staff of Crystal Prep Academy continue to struggle to come to terms with what happened at the Friendship Games.

  • ...
2
 84
 2,163

Priorities and Mistakes

Author's Note:

Sorry for the wait on this one! You won't have to wait as long for the next chapter. :raritywink:

Abacus paced back and forth in her study with her hands behind her back. Indeed, there was much to do... but where to start?

Perhaps adoption? Abacus shook her head. She would save that for last. It would be difficult to raise a child while trying to accomplish her other goals. Not to mention the task would be very time-consuming.

Reversing the outcome of the Friendship Games would likely be time-consuming as well. Contacting the school board, scheduling a meeting, convincing the members that her complaints were valid... that would be a feat in and of itself, considering none of said members were there to witness the magic. She would have to form a well thought out argument, and that would indeed take time.

Exacting revenge would also take time... Abacus sighed, thanking her lucky stars she wasn't the sort who preferred instant gratification, yet she did not care for the fact that all of her goals were long-term.

At the very least, she could easily find someone to help her with her psychological trauma. She already knew someone who would be able to assist her.

Abacus took her phone and dialed a number, then waited as the dial tone sounded off. Several moments later, the voicemail picked up.

"Hello, you've reached the office of Radiant Hope. Please leave your name and number, and I will contact you as soon as I can." A beeping noise sounded off.

Abacus took a deep breath, exhaled, and swallowed her pride. "Radiant Hope. This is Abacus Cinch. I... fear my mental faculties are suffering due to an... incident that happened in my childhood." She sighed. "That is all I am comfortable with telling you over the phone." She hung up with another sigh. The deed was done. All she would have to do is wait until Monday.

Perhaps the next thing she should do is come up with a reasonable argument so she could get that ghastly Friendship Games result overturned. How in the Universe was she going to convince the school board of magic's existence?

Abacus stopped in her tracks, then chuckled to herself. Her mind must be slipping more than she thought! It was all too simple! She needed evidence. With that in mind, she headed to her garage and began a drive to Canterlot High.


Abacus arrived at Canterlot High, she realized she had made errors in judgment as she parked in front of several construction vehicles.

First, she should have realized that a team of people would be here to convert the playing field back to its normal state. She would have to be careful and watchful of what she was doing.

Second, how was she going to find even a scant trace of the magic? She should've stopped by Crystal Prep and went into Twilight Sparkle's lab to get her equipment! No... what good would that have done? She wouldn't even know how to operate those confounded things.

Third, what would she put the evidence in? She didn't have the proper equipment, and she doubted mere pictures would suffice.

Abacus put a hand to her head and sighed. She didn't think this through. Nonetheless, she would continue with her plan. She didn't want to waste time going back and forth, that would make her look more suspicious than she already did!

Abacus got out of her car and looked around, making sure nobody saw her, then carefully made her way to the field. She stopped suddenly upon seeing it again, and a dreadful memory returned...


Abacus fumed as she sat in her chair in the stand with Luna, Celestia and Cadance. That loss in the cooking round of the ACADECA portion was bad enough, but to have lost the archery round as well?? There would have to be consequences for these failures...

A loud crash brought Abacus back to reality, and she froze up in her seat.

Out of a portal that seemingly came from nowhere, a gigantic slithering green plant monster had emerged! Its tendrils snaked around the ground, as though it was searching for prey.

Abacus remained still, horrified at the sight. It was all she could do. Everything froze in time for her, until a loud thud captured her attention. She noticed the rainbow-haired student standing on top of another plant monster's head. Even more stunning was the fact that the student had wings!

"Canterlot wins!"

Abacus' eyes shot open. "WHAT?!"


Abacus shuddered. Perhaps coming here wasn't the best idea.

A gunshot sounded off in her mind, and she yelped. Indeed, this was a bad idea.

A thunderous booming sound startled her greatly, and she ran off to the front of the building.

Abacus leaned against Canterlot High's entrance, panting as she clutched her chest.


Abacus Cinch once again found herself frozen with fear. She had watched Twilight Sparkle transform into a hideous creature, and she looked like she was about to do something sinister.

Move, damn you, MOVE!

Abacus summoned the will to back up slightly, unable to take her eyes off of Twilight's monstrous form. She watched in horror as Twilight destroyed the horse statue, then conjured up several portals to an alternate world.

"Hey!"

Abacus turned to see Sunny Flare.

"Where are you going," Sunny demanded.

"I'm going to stay alive," Cinch said, then ran as fast as she could to find a hiding spot, all the while praying to whatever higher powers there may be that she would live to see another day.


Abacus' heart was racing like never before! It was all she could do to just stand! A tap on the door caught her attention, and she slowly turned around...

...to see Twilight's monstrous form behind the door.

Abacus let out a scream of terror as tears began to run down her eyes. She ran as fast as she could, keeping her eyes on the door for a moment, then directed her gaze forward with a gasp. She ran into the plinth that once held the statue, felt a severe wave of dizziness, then everything went black.