• Published 14th Jul 2019
  • 949 Views, 1 Comments

Wings are Overrated - Draxonos135



Sunset's ponyfication comes with a different power up... one that's harder to control than it looks.

  • ...
2
 1
 949

Wings are Overrated

It was a calm day in Other-Questria for almost everybody involved, that is until a certain winged girl named Rainbow Dash flew around the place, pestering random pedestrians about something.

"Hey, would you like to take part in a race on the clouds?!" was something she repeatedly told, earning confused looks. "It's exactly what it sounds!"

"Rainbow Dash?"

The blue girl turned around and saw Sunset looking at her with confusion. "What are you doing?"

"Well, I ponyfied this morning in order to fight a bugbear: quite a nice fight if I say so myself, you should've been there to witness it," Rainbow proudly replied. "Anyway, I transformed, chased after it in the sky, and once I beat it I got the idea to try something fun: a race in the skies with a fellow winged person that isn't Fluttershy! I've been searching around for any willing participants since then!"

"That does sound interesting Dash, but you're forgetting the fact that nobody else can ponify," Sunset pointed out. "You, me, and the girls are the only ones with the ability to transform."

"Which I think is a massive waste of potential: I mean, just imagine the crazy things that people could ponify into!" Rainbow Dash replied as she flew to Sunset's side. "And besides, it would also help in defending the people from magical threats!"

A loud roar was heard, and the girls turned around to see a giant ursa minor right in the middle of the city, the citizens fleeing in terror while the stellar bear roared.

"An Ursa Minor!" Sunset exclaimed. "But it's supposed to be a creature exclusive to the other Equestria, what's it doing here?!"

"We can ponder about that when we've dealt with this monster!" Rainbow Dash stated, pounding her fists. "I'll distract it! You transform and get ready to take it down!"

Rainbow flew straight to the beast and moved all over the place as the Ursa Minor swung its claws. Sunset, meanwhile, surrounded herself in a magic sphere as she transformed into her ponyfied form... or at least tried: the sphere remained in place as she seemingly switched between unicornify and pegasified form repeatedly.

Not helping matters was that Rainbow Dash managed to grab the stellar bear's tail, spin it around, and swing it off to the horizon. Yes, really.

"Hehe, I didn't think battling a space bear would be easy, but that was a piece of cake!" Rainbow Dash flew down and looked around. "Hey, Sunset, are you done transforming?"

Rainbow Dash flew closer to the magic sphere and covered her eyes as it cracked open and vanished, revealing Sunset's form: Pony ears, tail-like ponytail, and a pair of large, pegasus wings.

"Sunset! Your ponyfied form has wings!" Rainbow Dash chirped as she looked at the wings with awe. "That's incredible!"

"And completely unintentional!" Sunset added with a tone that was a mix of joy and confusion. "Every other time I've transformed, I've only gained the power to cast magic. I've never grown wings before!"

"What about that time you used my and the girls' power to fight Twilight's evil superpowered form?" Rainbow pointed out. "Those things on your back couldn't have been anything else but wings."

"That's wasn't the same thing as ponyfication, Dash," Sunset Shimmer scratched her chin and raised an eyebrow. "Come to think of it, I have no idea what that was about."

"Well, that doesn't matter!" Rainbow Dash eagerly answered as she flew in circles around Sunset. "What matters is that now that you have wings, we can finally begin the flying race relay!"

"Dash, I neither said I liked the idea, nor did I say I was going to race you," Sunset spread her magical wings and looked at them with concerned eyes. "Besides, it's the first time I've ever had wings. I need some time to get used to them."

"You have a point there, Sunset," Rainbow Dash scratched her chin. "If I raced you while you had very little experience with your wings, the race would be far too easy."

Sunset lowered her eyelids. "Yes, that's clearly the main issue here."

"That does it then!" Rainbow wrapped an arm around Sunset's shoulder. "I'm going to teach you how to fly!"

Sunset smiled a little. "Thanks, Dash."


At the public park, Rainbow Dash finished setting up an obstacle course for Sunset to practice, while Sunset focused and opened her palms, trying to perform some magic. A blast, a glowing aura, confetti flying out of her palms, anything magical would do.

But nothing happened.

"Okay, I can't cast magic, so instead of an alicorn ponyfication, I must've gone through a pegasus ponyfication," Sunset remarked to herself, scratching her chin. "Maybe this is a test to see if I can an alicorn-type ponyfication later?"

"Whatever it is, that's not the main point!" Rainbow Dash stated, suddenly flying next to Sunset. "What matters is to teach you how to use those nifty wings. Now, try spreading them."

Rainbow promptly spread her own wings, giving Sunset an idea of what she was supposed to do. Sunset thusly first spread one wing then closed it, spread the other wing and closed it, and after a few seconds, managed to spread both wings fully.

"Now, flip them up and down, until you get yourself off the ground!"

Rainbow did the same thing and flew up, followed by Sunset clumsily flapping her wings, trying to maintain her balance as she flew to Rainbow's side. "I think I'm getting the hang of this!"

"That's good to know!" Rainbow pointed at the obstacle course. "Now, time to go through the course!"

Sunset looked at the obstacles and flinched; there were rings forming a circle, a bunch of pillars she was supposed to fly side-by-side, and finally, a spot where she would flap her wings one last time before she landed right on top of it.

Without even waiting to hear what Sunset had to say, Rainbow Dash flew to the obstacle course and completed the three challenges they presented, expecting Sunset to repeat what she did. The fact she did it perfectly didn't help matters.

"Come on, give it a shot!"

Not seeing any other option besides trying her best, Sunset spread her wings and flew towards the course... and crashed face-first on the side ring.

She tried again, and she clumsily flew through some of the circles before she hit one of the pillars.

Another try, another flight through the rings, and a few uneven flips around the pillars, until the last spot was all that was left. Rainbow Dash flew off the spot to give Sunset a place to stand... and wound up crashing with her straight into the ground with a loud *thud* sound.

Once they stood up, Rainbow Dash and Sunset's wings dematerialized, the latter's dematerializing before the former's. "Sunset, your wings!"

"They're gone, I know," Sunset sighed and rubbed her forehead. "I guess the obstacle course and having to flap those things constantly made me too exhausted to keep up the transformation."

"Yeah, and you weren't too good at them, either," Rainbow Dash shrugged. "I've seen Fluttershy having an easier time with her wings."

Sunset frowned and lowered her head, prompting Rainbow Dash to wrap an arm around her shoulder as she hastily added. "But hey, wings are overrated anyway; I'm just giving a biased opinion, I bet Princess Twilight had just as much trouble as you did when she got her own wings, right?"

"Huh, now that you mention it, she did begin as a normal unicorn," Sunset scratched her chin as she thought about it. "Maybe she really did have as much trouble flying as I did once."

"And you got a taste of how wings feel and work like; that counts as a win-win situation to me," Rainbow Dash patted Sunset's shoulder. "Anyway, wanna go grab a bite, try to get enough energy to transform again?"

Sunset raised an eyebrow. "What about your "sky race?"

Rainbow Dash shrugged. "I can always do that another time."

With that said, Sunset smiled and nodded, wrapping her own arm around Rainbow Dash's shoulder as they went to get something to eat.

Author's Note:

Here's a random Rainbow Sunset story that was born from the idea: "What if Sunset grew wings after transforming?", and also me wanting to see if I could write Equestria Girls' Rainbow Dash correctly.

That's it, really.

Draxonos135, flying away!

Comments ( 1 )
Login or register to comment