• Published 28th Sep 2018
  • 9,147 Views, 981 Comments

Hello, This is Not a Scammer, I Promise - BronyWriter



IRS scammers go after the Mane Six

  • ...
18
 981
 9,147

Trixie

It started when the phone rang.

Trixie (The Great and Powerful Trixie to you) frowned and sat up in her hammock in her wagon and lit her horn, floating the headset over to her.

"Hello? Who is this? How did you get this number?"

"Yes hello, this is Legit Collector from the Equestrian Revenue Services. I am calling to inform you that you are currently under investigation for tax evasion. If you do--"

"No, Trixie does not have to pay income taxes," Trixie growled. "Trixie is sick of these calls!"

"Ma'am, all ponies must pay an income tax, regardless of desire. Failure to do so may result in seizure of property, bank accounts, passports, and any other things we must use to pay off your debt, on top of spending ten years in an Equestrian penitentiary for tax evasion! Should you not have the means to pay off your debt, you shall spend another two years in prison."

"Debtor's prison hasn't been legal since before Nightmare Moon, dummy," Trixie grumbled. "Besides, Trixie doesn't need to pay income tax because Trixie doesn't have an income, and never has!"

"Oh, um... let me see... Ah, yes, right, that's the issue. It isn't income tax, it's the inheritance mon--"

"Trixie doesn't have an inheritance either," Trixie said flatly. "Neither does she have a patron or any third party means of supporting herself."

"Ma'am, are you Trixie's lawyer or some other entity representing her?"

"No, this is Trixie!"

"Are you referring to yourself in the third person?"

"Yes."

"Why in Equestria would you feel the need to do that?"

"When you are your own promoter, you develop some quirks," Trixie replied with a satisfied smile. "Now, then, as Trixie was saying, she doesn't have to pay income tax because she doesn't have an income. Trixie supports herself from tips."

"Tips?"

Trixie nodded. "Yes. Trixie is a traveling magician. She supports herself via a tip jar she has during her performances. Under section four-three-C-five subsection nine-C of the Equestrian Tax Code..." Trixie cleared her throat and levitated a thick blue book over to her, flipping through it until she found the page she wanted. "Trixie quotes: 'ponies who receive tips and other small forms of payment not representing an official income shall not be required to declare them on their tax forms.' There are a bunch of other boring lines, but Trixie feels that she has read the pertinent part."

"So... you are evading income tax?"

Trixie shook her head. "No, haven't you been listening? Trixie only ever receives tips, which aren't taxable! Trixie does not know how many times she has had to explain this to you ponies! Trixie paid a tax lawyer a lot of her tips to confirm that this is totally legal!" Trixie chuckled and said to herself, "if a little dubious."

"W-well I... that... no, no you're taking that from an outdated source! Yeah, that's it! We changed the tax code to include tip amounts over a hundred bits! Anything above that is taxable and must be declared!"

"Well when did you change the law?" Trixie asked, closing the book and tossing it aside.

"We changed it at the start of the last tax season."

Trixie shrugged. "Well then, Trixie supposes that she's still in the clear, because her tips have only just become eligible income. Also, by the way, may Trixie have your ERS Identification Number?"

"Erm... my what?"

"ERS Identification number. Trixie has done a lot of research into tax laws and the ERS, and according to..." Trixie grabbed the book again and opened it up to a bookmarked page. "Section six-two-C-nine-B-8 subsection C-3 of the Equestrian tax code, and Trixie quotes again, 'upon request a member of the ERS must give their name and identification number." Trixie put the book aside again. "And there's more boring legal stuff, but you have to give Trixie your ID number."

"It's... um..."

"One-four-four-I-Am-A-Scammer?" Trixie guessed. "Trixie is tired of this. She hopes you get attacked by an Ursa Major. Goodbye."