• Published 7th Jun 2018
  • 1,064 Views, 25 Comments

Rarity Plays the Waiting Game - CapNTilfy



Mere moments after she texts her crush to meet her at the mall tomorrow, Rarity decides to kill time. Book Three of "Not Just Any Other Old Day".

  • ...
3
 25
 1,064

Rarity's Nightmare

Rarity opened her eyes to the same auditorium from the same dream she had been having ever since her first encounter with Lemon Zest. She sighed in contentment. I could watch her dance all day she thought as the silhouette danced around and around the stage. Rarity shrugged. "Why bother hiding it at this point? My friends will know tomorrow." She snapped her finger and the silhouette transformed into Lemon Zest as she continued to dance and entrance Rarity.

Suddenly, an explosion rocked the auditorium. Out of nowhere, Sunset Shimmer, Rainbow Dash, Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie, Applejack and Fluttershy rushed in to evacuate the captive audience. Rarity tried to move, but found herself spellbound by Lemon's dance moves. What's wrong with me? Why isn't my body moving?! Rarity began to panic, even though she knew the audience was in good hands with her friends.

Another explosion happened, causing large chunks of debris to rain throughout the auditorium. Rarity's friends and the audience members tried their best to dodge, but one or two innocent bystanders got crushed by large pieces of the ceiling. Fluttershy took notice and was frozen in place, paralyzed by shock.

Rarity looked up and saw a giant part of the ceiling falling loose and dropping, hurtling downwards to her dear friend. Rarity tried to call out her name, to get her friend's attention. She had succeeded. Fluttershy turned around and looked at Rarity, the kindest of smiles on her face. She looked down and noticed a shadow looming over her head. She looked up and let out a terrified squeak before being crushed with a heart-wrenching and stomach-churning wet thud.

Rarity screamed, but she couldn't hear her own voice. She was barely aware of the tears running down her cheeks. Focusing all of her willpower, she got up from the spot and ran towards the chunk of ceiling that landed on her now deceased friend. She was so close until Rainbow Dash suddenly got in front of her, arms outstretched. Another explosion occurred as Rainbow to the brunt of it, almost immediately incinerating her.

Yet another explosion nearly leveled the auditorium as Applejack barely got out of its destructive path, only for Rarity to watch one of her closest friends slowly burn to death. Rarity wanted to let out a shriek, or a wail, or any kind of noise! The inability to express her mourning was becoming rapidly unbearable!

Rarity turned around to see a mortally wounded Sunset Shimmer. She was leaning against a wall, struggling to breathe and coughing up blood. Her shirt was torn, and Rarity could see a dark mark on Sunset's abdomen. Dear lord, she's bleeding internally! Rarity thought as her mind raced. Images of Rainbow, Fluttershy and Applejack dying flashed through her head. Quickly, she snapped herself back to attention. Sadly, she was too late as she saw Sunset slowly slide down the wall and fall limply onto the floor. She shuddered, then remained still.

Rarity saw Twilight and Pinkie rush over to Sunset's still body then stop, only to let out wails of mourning for the friends they had lost. The duo forced themselves to move on and continue rescuing bystanders, they could mourn their losses later. Pinkie's hair had nearly gone flat, which was all it took for a stray piece of rubble to pin her down by the legs. Twilight ran to Pinkie, but Pinkie could only mouth the words "Go on without me, Twilight!" Pinkie's eyes teared up as she mouthed the words "I love you." before being buried under rafters.

Twilight Sparkle collapsed with emotions momentarily, but fought hard to keep them at bay. She got up slowly, and Rarity could hear sobbing. Wait. Rarity could hear? Realization dawned on her that it wasn't Twilight's sobbing she was hearing. It was hers. She made a mad dash towards her sole surviving friend and stretched her arms out wide open to embrace her, only for six cloaked figures to intervene. Rarity stopped in her tracks and stared at the new arrivals. Before she could blink, they ran past Twilight. Three seconds passed, then Twilight let out a shriek of agony that would haunt Rarity for years to come as she was blown a few feet into the air, then landed onto the ground, lifeless.

"TWILIGHT!" Rarity screamed. She shuddered. "My friends...they're all gone." she convulsed with emotion, unable to get a hold of herself. She looked up and saw the six figures looming over her. She looked at all of them, tears in her eyes. "How...how could you?" she managed to choke out. She got a good look at their masks.

One mask had several animals etched on it. Another mask had a plague doctor's mask etched on it. The third mask she saw had a nightcap etched on it. The fourth was a giant question mark. The fifth was a gravestone, and the last was a king's crown.

That last one must be the leader. was Rarity's final coherent thought as the cloaked figures raised their weapons...then Rarity woke up.

---------------------------------------------

Rarity woke up and took off her sleeping mask. She slowly processed the events that unfolded during her nightmare. That proved unsuccessful as the images of all of her dear friends dying came back in a rush that overwhelmed her, causing her to let out an ear-piercing shriek of anguish.

Within a matter of seconds, Hondo, Cookie, and Sweetie Belle all rushed into her room, nearly breaking her door down. Rarity shot out of bed, ran to her family and burst into tears, bawling uncontrollably. The three hugged her tightly as she rode out a strong wave of emotions. Her family was saying things to her, but she was far too preoccupied at the moment to be coherent.

Several minutes had passed before Rarity regained her composure, or at least some semblance of it.

"What on earth happened?" asked her mother.

Rarity sighed deeply, then shuddered. "All I am willing to say at the moment is that it was the most horrifying dream I have ever had. I fear if I were to say more, I would break down again."

Her mother nodded in understanding.

"Are you going to be okay?" asked Sweetie Belle.

Rarity sighed heavily. "I don't know...but I would like some time alone to regroup."

"We understand." said Hondo, and ushered his wife and younger daughter out of Rarity's room.

Rarity checked her phone to keep her thoughts occupied. She saw that she had a message, and her eyes lit up in anticipation.

Hey girls, I'm back!- Sent by Sunset Shimmer

Well it's about time! Rarity thought as she swiftly sent a text.

Sunset, I need to talk to you and the girls about something. - Sent by Rarity

At about the same time, the other girls had sent texts of their own. Rainbow Dash's was the first Rarity noticed.

Sunset...I need to talk to you.- Sent by Rainbow Dash

As Rarity scrolled down, however, it was clear to her that whatever problems she and Rainbow might have paled in comparison to the others. "Dear lord..." Rarity said. "What happened to everyone yesterday?!"

End of Book Three of "Not Just Any Other Old Day"

Comments ( 11 )
CSC

Sour Sweet's story is next?! Oh fuck, hide all the knives!!

Soo i have come to expect that when sunset came back everyone had the worst nightmare possible

8975673
Yes i have been waiting for rarity to that accidentally

The third mask Sunset saw had a nightcap etched on it.

Oops, copy/paste user got caught.

9583752
I've openly admitted that I copy/pasted in other stories of mine before, but thank you for the catch! :twilightsmile:

9583762
I was just adding a bit of humor to it. I use c/p myself sometimes.

You driving me crazy. What is with the dreams? Is a warning of something that is coming that will destroy them all if they don't stop it.

10621474
You'll just have to wait and see. =)

" TWILIGHT! " Rarity screamed. She shuddered. "My friends...they're all gone." she convulsed with emotion, unable to get a hold of herself. She looked up and saw the six figures looming over her. She looked at all of them, tears in her eyes. "How...how could you?" she managed to choke out. She got a good look at their masks.

WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS TO THEM!!! :raritydespair:

As Rarity scrolled down, however, it was clear to her that whatever problems she and Rainbow might have paled in comparison to the others. "Dear lord..." Rarity said. "What happened to everyone yesterday?!"

I was wondering just as much as you are Rarity. :pinkiesad2:

Login or register to comment