• Published 24th Dec 2016
  • 3,195 Views, 5 Comments

Hearthwarming's Snowfall - Misty Meadow



Starlight finds herself depressed when her friends leave her alone for Hearthswarming, but Trixie promises to show her that she truly isn't.

  • ...
4
 5
 3,195

Hearthwarming's Snowfall

The snow outside was heavy, far heavier than the Cloudsdale team had predicted. Apparently, they still hadn’t quite fixed the winter machinery from Rainbow Dash’s accident the previous year. Starlight couldn’t even see three feet out of the window in front of her, and the cold permeated enough that even inside, her breath left a cloud of mist in the air.

“Hey,” Starlight turned her head to see Trixie approaching. “Twilight and Spike are about to leave for Hearthswarming in Canterlot. Don’t you want to say goodbye?”

A light smile ghosted on her lips as she whispered quietly, “Yeah, I guess I should.” The two mares fell into step, leaning slightly on each other. Trixie was holding her head high, confident, but Starlight was not; and it was quickly noticed by her companion. “Hey,” Trixie said softly, “what’s up Starlight, you seem kinda down.”

Almost having zoned out, Starlight flicked her head up and looked away from her friend. “It’s nothing.” Rolling her eyes, Trixie used her shoulder to nudge her lightly, forcing her sideways for a couple of steps.

“Horseapples. What’s bothering you?”

Starlight sighed deeply as she kept on an even walking pace. “I guess… it’s kinda silly.”

Trixie cantered ahead and spun around to face her, laying a hoof on her chest. “Trixie doesn’t think anything affecting you like this could be silly. Tell Trixie your troubles, and She promises to take it seriously.”

It didn’t matter how many times she saw it happen, but Starlight found it endearing whenever Trixie would slip into her stage persona. It made her appreciate the new mare more. She smiled before letting out a quiet chuckle, a sparkle in her eye. “Okay okay. I trust the Great and Magnanimous Trixie.”

“So… spill it.”

Starlight began to grind a forehoof into the floor. “I spent most of my life working towards a goal, and it wasn’t until recently I have come to learn what I was truly missing, thanks to Twilight. Last year was the first Hearthswarming I celebrated since I was about seven years old, and the girls went out of their way to show me it’s true meaning, and make me feel welcome.”

She stood, and then approached a nearby window, staring out into the blizzard again. “And this year, each one is busy, and I guess, I don’t know if I can celebrate it without them.” Turning back, her face showed signs of a struggle, eyes and cheeks trying their best to keep the tears at bay.

In a literal flash, Trixie was beside her, pulling her into deep hug. “Hey, it’s going to be fine. I can see where you’re coming from, cause I’ve been there to.”

“You have?” Starlight blinked.

“Yeah.” Trixie pulled back so she could face Starlight. “I have spent the last ten years as a traveling showmare. So every year, when Hearthswarming rolled around, it was a gamble if I’d make it through the snow, and to the nearest town. Most years, my wagon became stuck, so I’d spend my Hearthswarming huddled by my firebox.”

“I… I didn’t know, I didn’t think. You had it worse than me, and here I am whining…”

Trixie shushed her with a hoof. “None of that. Trixie wants to enjoy Hearthwarming. Afterall, this is her first one in ten years.” A smirk plastered itself across her muzzle, but she quickly wiped it away as Starlight spun to look at her.

“You’re right!”

“Of course Trixie’s right. And I plan to spend the whole evening by your side. Now, We need to say goodbye to the third best unicorn ever,” Starlight rolled her eyes, “and Spike. The castle is still hosting the Ponyville Party, so we can still enjoy ourselves. What do you say?”

For the first time that day, Starlight wore a real smile. “Sounds like a plan to me.”

Trixie pulled her head close, muzzle to Starlight’s ear. “And after the party, when everypony has gone home, I am looking forward to exchanging my firebox for another way to keep warm.” And with a quick nip of Starlight's ear, Trixie sauntered out of the room, leaving a sputtering unicorn in her wake.


The front doors of the castle closed with a thump, the last of the guests hooves clip clopped down the crystal steps. With a yawn, Starlight turned back and faced the hall. Chaos greeted her. Not Discord though, just a room trashed from top to bottom, and Starlight couldn’t believe ponies were capable of this.

But as another yawn racked her body she shrugged. Cleaning up was future Starlights problem, present Starlight was going to bed.

As she reached the upper floors, she became aware that she was no longer alone. “I told you I wasn’t planning on huddling by my firebox tonight.” She stepped in line with her, and both mares leaned against the other.

“That’s fine by me.” She smiled again. Just one of many this night had provided her. “So, how was your new first Hearthswarming Eve party?”

A contented sigh left Trixie’s lips. “It was wonderful. But tiring.”

“That’s lucky, we’ve been walking to the bedrooms.”

A light red blush shone through Trixie’s cheeks, but she said nothing. Soon they reached Starlights room, neither mare saying anything as they both squeezed through the door, and crossed to the bed.

With a grunt of effort, Trixie hauled herself up, and shuffled to the far side. She held a foreleg up, motioning for Starlight to join her. “I don’t want a fire box to warm me, I want my Star.”

Happy to oblige, Starlight jumped up, lay down, and side backwards, feeling Trixie’s legs worm their way around her. Using her magic, she pulled the blanket over the pair of them.

“Still missing Twilight?”

Starlight mused over Trixie’s question, before smiling. “Yes in a way, but right now, I wouldn’t change a thing. I’m glad I got to give you your first proper Hearthswarming”

“Trixie was glad you could too.” She replied, before they fell into a comfortable silence. Soon after, they both drifted into Luna’s realm, the fire of the season burning within them both.

Author's Note:

hey y'all I hope everyone liked it we thought with it being christmas eve here and almost christmas day there in england that we'd post a christmas story so we hope yall like this.