• Published 18th Dec 2016
  • 18,397 Views, 746 Comments

The Platonic Pony Petting Café - FrontSevens



Twilight and her friends open up a specific type of café in the human world.

  • ...
18
 746
 18,397

The Cutie Mark Crusaders

“Oh my gosh, you guys! Look over there! At that girl’s shirt!” Sweetie Belle ran up to a girl waiting in the crowd. “It’s the three of us! Look! Look! We’re all on her shirt!”

“No way!” Scootaloo said as she and Apple Bloom hopped off their chairs and ran over to join Sweetie Belle. The girl glanced at her mother and smiled wide, pulling on her shirt to show off the image of the three fillies leaping and giving each other a hoof bump midair.

“Wow,” Apple Bloom said, pushing her friends out of the way to see for herself. “That’s neat as heck—hey!”

Rarity dragged the three fillies away with her magic. “Now, now, girls,” she said, pulling them back to their table. “Remember that you have to see these humans one group at a time. You simply can’t run up to whomsoever you please. Everyone waiting in line will get their turn eventually.”

Apple Bloom sighed as she clambered back up onto her chair. She turned around to face her sister, who was sitting at the table behind them and folding her arms along with Rarity. Rainbow Dash was distracted by a human scratching her ear, but she still kept a watchful eye on the fillies.

Apple Bloom turned back around and slumped in her chair, muttering something to herself. However, her face lit up when the next humans in line walked up—three girls, two of them younger than her and one of them older. She waved. “Howdy, y’all! I’m Apple Bloom, and these here are my friends Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle!”

The two younger girls smiled and waved back. “Hi. I’m Katie,” the slightly taller one said, “and this is my little sister Jenna.”

Jenna waved, her oversized, beaded bracelet flopping around her wrist.

Sweetie Belle waved back. “Well, go ahead and sit next to whichever one of us you want! There’s three of you and three of us!”

“Okay,” Katie said, sitting down next to Sweetie Belle and starting off with the mane. “Wow, it’s so soft,” Katie said, her smile growing wider.

Jenna sat down in front of Apple Bloom and wrung her hands. “Is it okay if I pet your mane?” she asked.

“ ‘Course!” Apple Bloom said. “As long as I get to pet your mane too.”

Jenna giggled. “Okay.” The two of them reached out and pet each other’s hair.

The oldest sister took the only seat left next to Scootaloo, but didn’t engage in any sort of petting, nor any sort of conversation either. Instead, she crossed her arms and used one hand to hold up her phone and lazily swipe through it.

Scootaloo sat back, folding her forelegs behind her head. “Yeah, I mean, not petting is pretty cool too. It’s just as cool as petting. ‘Cause we’re cool people. So we’re cool.”

The teenager neither confirmed nor denied Scootaloo’s claim.

“We like the show,” Katie said, showing off her shirt with Applejack’s cutie mark on it. “We watch the show every Saturday. You and Applejack are my favourite ponies,” she said as she petted Sweetie Belle, “and Jenna’s favourite is… well it’s Fluttershy, but she likes you too, Apple Bloom.”

Jenna nodded eagerly as she pet Apple Bloom’s mane. “Is it fun being on TV?” she asked.

“Sure, yeah,” Sweetie Belle said, rubbing her elbow. “It’s a little scary, too, because our human friends said these TV shows go all over the world.”

Apple Bloom jumped up in her chair and spread her forelegs. “They send the TV shows into outer space! And then space sends it back into everybody’s TVs all over the world!”

Scootaloo shrugged. “Which is totally no big deal. Y’know, being world famous and all.”

“But like Twilight says,” Sweetie Belle said, “there’s nothing in the show we would mind sharing anyway. It always shares a lesson we learned on friendship, so if humans are watching that, then they can learn those lessons too.”

Apple Bloom snickered. “Well, I mean, we know that Spike has a crush—”

“C’mon, Apple Bloom.” Sweetie Belle frowned. “You know he didn’t mean for everypony to find out.”

Apple Bloom frowned. “Yeah, I know. Sorry, girls.”

“It’s all right, let’s just drop it.” Sweetie Belle looked to the teenager opposite Scootaloo. “So what’s your name?”

The teenager held up her hand in a stagnant wave without taking her eyes off her phone. “Marissa,” she said.

“She’s our older sister,” Katie said, returning her focus to petting.

“Here to supervise.” Marissa brushed her blond hair back behind her ear.

Apple Bloom rested her chin on her hoof. “Yeah, we know what that’s all about.”

Jenna looked past the fillies. “Oh yeah, your sisters are here too.”

Scootaloo opened her mouth, but closed it and smiled. “Nope. Not gonna correct that,” she muttered to herself.

Sweetie Belle poked at her juice box. “Well, we kinda deserve the supervision this time. We, um, well…”

“We’re not allowed coffee anymore,” Apple Bloom said.

Katie’s eyes widened. “You guys had coffee?”

Scootaloo glanced at Rainbow Dash, who raised an eyebrow at the filly. “Yeah, once. We liked it, especially with extra sugar, like extra extra sugar, so we snuck behind the counter and then we had some more, and then some more, and, um…”

Sweetie Belle grimaced. “We kind of, sort of broke the coffee machine. Coffee was everywhere.”

“Tree sap, too.” Apple Bloom frowned and scratched her head. “Why was there tree sap again? We were indoors… right?”

Sweetie Belle shrugged. “I was way too hyper to remember.”

Scootaloo grinned sheepishly. “Anyway, yeah, that’s why we’re not allowed coffee ever again. “

“And why our older sisters are watching us now.”

“And why we had to move to this café, down the street from the other one.”

Marissa looked up from her phone. “Hope the café had insurance.”

Sweetie Belle threw her hooves up in the air. “Everybody keeps saying that. I dunno if they did. What even is insurance?”

“It’s a way of paying for something when it breaks,” Marissa said. “Like if your house burns down, and you have insurance, then insurance pays for it.”

Scootaloo propped herself up on the table, her wings spreading. “Wait, so you humans can burn stuff and get paid back for it?”

“No…” Marissa said. “No. That is not how that works. It’s more complicated than that.” She pointed at all three of the fillies, Scootaloo especially, and then to her sisters as well. “To be clear, do not burn stuff. Okay?”

Scootaloo huffed. “Fine.”

Marissa squinted, leaning forward to better see Scootaloo’s flank. “Oh my God,” she said, “You girls already have tattoos? And you’re what, twelve?”

“Thirteen,” Apple Bloom said with a smug grin. “Two weeks ago, too. I’m a teenager. Also, um, what’s a tattoo?” Apple Bloom turned to see her flank. “Do I have one?”

“Yeah,” Katie said. “Well, kind of. It’s called a cutie mark,” she said to Marissa. “It’s not really a tattoo. It’s what they get when they realize what their special talent is.”

Marissa snorted. “Huh, okay. That’s still too young to get a tattoo. Do your parents know about this?”

Sweetie Belle nodded. “Yeah! They’re so proud of all of us.” She stood up and showed off her cutie mark to Marissa. “We got them together, all at the same time!”

Marissa blinked. “Um… What?”

“It’s magic,” Katie said. “They appear magically when they realize what their special talent is.”

Marissa couldn’t even. “Why do you keep saying special talent? What does that mean?”

“It’s your destiny,” Scootaloo said. “Like what you’re good at, and what you were always meant to do.”

Marissa pointed at Scootaloo’s flank. “So your destiny is… a shield with a lightning bolt? What does that even mean?”

“Well, the shield part is the same for all of us. We’re the Cutie Mark Crusaders, and we help ponies discover what their special talent is!” Scootaloo said. She lifted her foreleg and inspected her mark. “The lightning bolt… I dunno yet. The wing… well, I don’t really know why that’s there either. But we’re gonna keep trying to figure that out.”

Apple Bloom nodded. “We’re thinking that the other, not-shieldy parts are… what’s the word Twilight keeps using?”

“Symbolic,” Sweetie Belle said. “They represent something else unique to each of us.”

Jenna pointed at Sweetie Belle’s mark—a shield with a star and a musical note. “Well, you’re really good at singing, so I think that’s what yours means. And you’ve got a star, like… you’re a star.”

Sweetie Belle looked down at her rump and nodded. “Ooh, I like that. Yeah, I bet that’s mine!”

“That could totally be it. You’re a genius, Katie!” Scootaloo hopped up and fluttered her wings. “You could be a Cutie Mark Crusader too!”

Katie looked at Jenna and they both giggled. “But we don’t even get cutie marks.”

“That’s okay,” Apple Bloom said. “Y’all are great at seeing the symbol-like parts of our marks.”

“We’re getting off topic,” Marissa said. “So, you kids are twelve—”

“Thirteen,” Apple Bloom said.

“Thirteen, and you’re already deciding what you’re going to do with your lives?”

“Yeah, isn’t it great?” Sweetie Belle said, spreading her arms. “And it’s not just us—everypony gets a chance to discover what they want to do. It’s exciting! It’s the best part about being a kid.”

Marissa shook her head. Then she shook her head and looked past the girls at the café’s menu. Then she shook her head and looked down at her phone. “I guess that’s why it’s a kid’s cartoon show,” she muttered.

Scootaloo shifted in her chair, glancing up at Marissa before scratching the back of her head. “So, uh… yeah, still gonna do the not-petting thing, huh. Yeah, that’s cool.”

Katie looked at Jenna and grinned. “Hey Jenna, boop her snoot.”

Jenna giggled. “Okay.”

Scootaloo’s forehead wrinkled in confusion as she looked between Katie and Jenna’s smirking faces, but before she could brace herself, Jenna’s finger came sailing towards her face at an alarmingly normal speed and pressed onto her nose. Scootaloo recoiled, instinctively covering her nose with her hoof to protect it before what took place had really sunk in.

When it did, Scootaloo’s eyes widened. “Do that again.”

Jenna beamed. She booped the snoot once more.

A wide grin spread across Scootaloo’s face. “That was awesome!

Apple Bloom’s jaw hung open. “I wanna get my snoot booped.”

Sweetie Belle tugged at Jenna’s sleeve. “Can you boop my snoot too? Pretty please?”

~ ~ ~

Applejack squinted. “What is it those girls are up to?”

Rainbow Dash looked at the Cutie Mark Crusaders’ table. “Hmm?”

“Look at ‘em,” Applejack said. “Them humans are touching our sisters’ noses. What is going on over there?”

Rarity shrugged. “I’ve no idea, but it seems harmless enough.”

Rainbow frowned, then said to the human petting her, “Hey Calvin, do what those humans are doing over there. Press my nose or whatever.”

“Oh, you mean boop your snoot?” Calvin said, booping Rainbow’s snoot as requested. “There.”

Rainbow covered her nose with her hoof. Her eyes widened. “Do that again.”

Author's Note:

Next update: Spike and Big Mac :moustache: