• Published 18th Dec 2016
  • 18,371 Views, 746 Comments

The Platonic Pony Petting Café - FrontSevens



Twilight and her friends open up a specific type of café in the human world.

  • ...
18
 746
 18,371

Queen Chrysalis

“Hello, yes!” Twilight called to the end of the line. “Over here! Twilight Sparkle, ready for petting!”

The next person in line, Sara, glanced at one of the other tables in the café, but approached Twilight’s table. “Really? The Twilight Sparkle?”

Twilight nodded eagerly, wiping sweat off of her forehead. “Yep, that’s me!”

“Huh, I didn’t think you were scheduled for today.”

“Yes, that’s right!” Twilight rubbed her temples, but kept up her smile. “But I decided to schedule for today, too! It’s because everyone loves me and I can’t get enough love!”

“No, I mean, you were supposed to be in Texas this week, weren’t you?” Sara looked down at her phone. “Houston, I think.”

“Rescheduled,” Twilight blurted. “I changed my mind. Now quick, pet me.”

Sara shrugged. “Okay, well, it’s nice to meet you—”

“Pet me!”

“Okay, okay,” Sara said, taking a seat and stroking Twilight’s neck. “Oh, ew,” she said, retracting her hand. “You’re so sweaty.”

Twilight glared at Sara. “That’s probably your own filthy, sweaty hand. Now pet me.”

Sara’s eyes widened at Twilight.

“Please, I mean,” said Twilight, her glare immediately disappearing. She flashed Sara a twitchy smile. “Pretty please? Don’t you love me? Everybody loves Twilight Sparkle, right?”

Sara sighed, wiping her hand on her jeans. “You’re doing a pretty bad job of being Twilight Sparkle, you know.”

Twilight's smile disappeared. Her eyes narrowed. “Who told you?”

“The online posting, duh. I already knew I was coming to pet a changeling.”

Twilight blinked. Then, wincing, she screamed as she transformed into a tall changeling and crumpled in her chair. Chrysalis heaved, lifting her body off the chair and leaned in close to Sara, her fangs dangerously close to the human’s face. “Who told you?” she snarled.

Sara squinted. “I’m sorry, do you not know where you are?”

Chrysalis frowned, sitting tall in her chair, which brought her to about eye-level with Sara. “Of course I know where I am,” she said, squinting at Sara. “Now, who gave away that I was here?”

“Again, it was posted online,” Sara said, picking up her purse and checking her phone. “Look, do I still have to pet you?”

Chrysalis fumed as she glared first at Sara, then at her phone. She gritted her teeth together. Then, in a flash, her snarl was gone, replaced with an innocent smile. “As a matter of fact, yes. You do.”

“No, I mean, do I have to pet you? Can you at least change back into Twilight instead? Or someone less sweaty, at least?”

Chrysalis turned up her nose. “I cannot change back into Twilight. I require much more love for that, more than I would even in my own world. So, if you want me to change into somepony else…” Chrysalis tossed her teal mane. “You must pet me, first.”

“All right, fine.” Sara set down her phone. She reached out and ran her fingers through Chrysalis’s smooth mane.

“Yes, good,” Chrysalis said, closing her eyes and smiling.

Sara glanced behind Chrysalis at a table on the other side of the café. Sitting across from a young boy was a changeling, who changed into Rainbow Dash with a flash. The boy then patted Rainbow Dash on the shoulder. Sara sighed.

Chrysalis opened her eyes and frowned. “This isn’t working,” she said. “I’m not feeling any love.”

Sara raised an eyebrow. “Oh, is that so.”

“Maybe you’re not petting correctly,” Chrysalis said, her eyes following Sara’s hand. “Are you using the wrong hand? Or perhaps you need to pet me softer?”

“Perhaps you could be more likeable?”

“Puh.” Chrysalis tossed her hair. “I’m a queen. What’s not to like?”

“Anything else about you.”

Chrysalis’s lips curled up in a scowl, but relaxed. “Of course, silly me,” she said. “If I want your love, I’m going to need to adopt your feeble, meek-mannered ways.” She tilted up her chin, nodding to Sara, smiling the warmest smile a set of fangs could give. “Hello, mortal. I am Queen Chrysalis. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

Sara was not impressed. “Feeble, huh.” She stood up. “I’m leaving.”

“Wait!” Chrysalis said, leaping out of her chair and grasping Sara’s hand. “Don’t leave. All I want is a little bit of your love. The tiniest amount. P… Please. I’m starving.”

Sara frowned. “Well, you’re going to have to act less condescending. And apologize.”

Chrysalis’s head sunk until it landed with a soft thud on the table. “I’m sorry,” she mumbled.

“Sorry for what?”

“For being condescending,” Chrysalis said, her eyes glued to the ground. “I’m just really hungry. And tired. And I feel so weak. I thought I could conquer this world, but… it’s harder than I thought.”

Sara pressed her lips together. Her hands on her hips, she glanced at the people in line behind her, staring at her. With a sigh, she set her backpack down on the ground and took a seat. She ran her fingers gingerly through Chrysalis’s mane.

Chrysalis looked up. She noticed the hand, then eyed Sara curiously. “I can feel some love coming from you. Why?”

“Because that felt honest,” Sara said. “Not that I don’t believe that you’re a queen, and that you think I’m feeble, but I at least feel bad for you. …Somewhat.”

Chrysalis huffed and looked down. “You pity me.”

“Sure, but that’s not so bad, is it? To admit that sometimes, you’re weak?”

Chrysalis's nostrils flared.

Sometimes, I said.” Sara moved her hand down from the hair to the neck. Chrysalis’s neck was soft and slightly squishy. “We’re all weak sometimes, I think. Pretending you’re so much better than I am… doesn’t make me feel all that good, you know?”

“Ugh, feelings.” Chrysalis rolled her eyes.

Sara furrowed her eyebrows. “How is it that someone like you, who feeds on love, doesn’t care about feelings?”

Chrysalis blew a strand of hair away from her face. “Feelings make you weak,” she muttered. “It’s what separates predators like me and prey like you. Predators do not let feelings cloud their judgement. They lead. They go in for the kill.”

Sara rubbed the base of Chrysalis’s neck. “If you say so. I like feelings. Joy’s a good feeling. Wouldn’t you say so?”

Chrysalis shrugged. “Joy’s fine. Not as delectable or satisfying as love.”

Sara tilted her head, eyeing Chrysalis as she slouched over the table. “I hope I don’t sound rude, Chrysalis, but has anyone ever loved you? Not just the pony you were disguised as?”

“I used to have an army of changelings.” Chrysalis glanced at a table to her left, where a yellow and green changeling was being pet by a little girl. “But they betrayed me for pathetic pony ways and petting cafes such as this one.”

Sara clasped her hands together. “I hate how corny this sounds, given where you’re from, but… you should make some friends.” She scratched the back of her head. “Friends can give you genuine love, which I think is what changelings need, right? No offense, but I doubt you’ll get that out of five-minute stints at a café. You should try finding some friends.”

“Blech. Weakness.”

“Just try it,” Sara said. “It could work. There are some other ponies here you could make friends with. How about… that pony over there?”

Chrysalis rolled her head to look. It was hard to tell what Sara was pointing to, as it seemed the only non-human thing at the table was a large, fluffy pink cushion. This cushion was surrounded by three humans, all elbow-deep in its plush, fluffy pink fur. However, the cushion did have large blue eyes, and those eyes were staring at Chrysalis. The pink cushion-pony stuck its tongue out.

Chrysalis frowned. “I don’t like it.”

“Now, now, you shouldn’t be rude like that,” Sara said. She motioned toward the pony. “Give her a chance. Or… it.”

Chrysalis’s legs locked. “What do I do?”

“Just go over and say hi.”

Chrysalis looked at Sara. “And then what?”

Sara chuckled. “Then say, ‘How are you?’ ”

Chrysalis looked away and folded her forelegs. “No. Too much trouble.”

“You might not have much choice, here.”

“What do you mean?” Chrysalis turned to see the fluffy pink pony five inches from her face. “Gah!” Chrysalis stumbled out of her chair.

The pink pony stuck out her tongue.

Chrysalis reached out towards Sara. “Sara.”

The pink pony touched her hoof to Chrysalis’s nose and blew a raspberry.

Sara smiled. “Feeling any love yet?”

“Yes, but at what cost?” Chrysalis pleaded with her eyes as the fluffy pony wrapped her forelegs around Chrysalis, trapping her. “Sara. Help.”

Author's Note:

Next update: Vinyl Scratch, Octavia, and Sunset Shimmer :twilightsmile: