• Published 26th Jun 2012
  • 3,277 Views, 14 Comments

Rainy Day Pony - Licorice Twist



A songfic using Rainy Day Man from Sailor Moon for AppleDash

  • ...
1
 14
 3,277

Rainy Day Pony

When I think about the first time
I thought I found someone who cared for me
But things were not as they appeared to be

"Don't you get it, Dashie?" The words were harsh and cruel, practically spat out of the other pony's mouth. "I used you. You thought you were the best. HA! But being with me, you got yourself so caught up it put you off your game."

Rainbow Dash's eyes were welling with tears as she backed away from the other pony, wings pulled tightly against her slender body. Her chest was closer to the ground in an unconscious and uncharacteristic show of submission, the words ripping through her. This was the pony she thought she'd loved, the pony who was her first kiss, her first mating.

"Th-...this isn't funny...what are you saying?" She couldn't believe her ears. This must be some mean sort of joke. It wasn't.

"And still you don't get it...are you really that dumb?" Those eyes were hard, mean as they looked on the trembling Rainbow Dash. "I saw your potential. I knew if the Wonderbolts came looking, they'd look at you, not me. And now...you're out of the picture. You're a laughingstock to my friends. So easily seduced, so....easy...hardly took any work at all to mate you...you were just a means to an end, Dashie. With a little fun in-between."

Rainbow Dash fled the room at that point, the tears streaking down her face.

Rainy day man
On your shoulder I cried
When my first brush with love
Left me shaking inside
Rainy day man

Applejack had been resting under one of the Apple family's many apple trees, curled up in the shade with her eyes closed. She'd had a long day bucking apples down from the trees and was resting her strong hind legs while cooling down from the heat. The last thing she expected was a pony dropping out of the sky. The sound of the crash startled her enough to make her leap up to her hooves in a flash, looking around wide-eyed.

Applejack's eyes were quickly drawn to a long furrow in the ground, only this one was made by no plow, but by the pony at the end of it. Applejack was shocked to see the crash-landed pony was Rainbow Dash, and instead of bothering to get up, Rainbow Dash had curled up at the end, simply crying. Applejack was by her friend's side as fast as her hooves could carry her, deeply concerned. Rainbow Dash crying was not an everyday occurrence, so Applejack knew something was terribly wrong.

"Rainbow Dash! What's goin' on sugarcube, are you hurt?!" Applejack leaned down to nuzzle her friend's muzzle gently. Before she could lift her head to look over her friend for injuries, her eyes were bugged out by the sheer force of Rainbow Dash's forelegs latching around her neck, the other pony pulling herself up into Applejack's fur. Applejack sat down and drew Rainbow Dash closer, gently hoofing Rainbow Dash's hair.

"There, there, sugarcube...just let it out." Applejack didn't try to pry out why Rainbow Dash was there in her orchard, crying into her neck. She didn't need to. All she needed to know was that Rainbow Dash needed her, and she was there.

Ever since I can remember
Just like a brother you've been strong and true
Always been the one to see me through

The main drive of applebucking season was through. Applejack had pushed herself far beyond her limit before finally accepting the help of her friends. She was inside the barn now, flopped into a bale of hay, just relaxing after the long, final day of applebucking. The other ponies had gone home, all but Rainbow Dash.

"Ah'm sorry I launched you into Twilight's tree, sugarcube," Applejack turned her head in the hay to smile softly at Rainbow Dash.

"Aw, it's nothin' AJ. I shoulda known somethin' was wrong after, you know...the first ten misses. I've never known you to miss like that!"

"It's alright, sugarcube."

"If I wasn't so focused on getting on me..."

"Well, if Ah wasn't so dang-blasted stubborn..."

Both ponies laughed, and Rainbow Dash found herself scooting closer to Applejack in the hay to give the other pony a gentle nuzzle. Applejack felt a small blush blossom on her cheeks, turning herself closer to Rainbow Dash and returning the nuzzle softly.

"You're always there for me, AJ! I'm glad I could be there for you for once." Rainbow Dash gave a happy little smile and just rested against Applejack, enjoying the warmth of her friend and the hay around them.

Rainy day man
You're much more than a friend
I would give anything
Just to see you again

"WHAT. WERE. YOU. THINKING?!" Rainbow Dash had dragged Applejack to a private train car on their way back to Ponyville. She was not a very happy pony at the moment. Her hoof butted lightly against Applejack's chest with each word before her hooves, and wings, were thrown in the air in frustration. "How could you do that to us? To your family? To ME?! Of all ponies!"

"Ah told you..." Applejack was backing away, never quite having seen Rainbow Dash so incensed, stopping only when her rump pressed against the wall of the train car. "Ah WASN'T thinkin'...Ah thought we went over this..."

"Only because the other ponies were around! I am just so PISSED..." And scared. But Rainbow Dash could never admit that part. She could never admit the fear she felt when they'd received the telegram saying Applejack wasn't coming home. She couldn't admit it, but it showed in her eyes.

"Ah'm sorry..." And Applejack really was. She'd just been so ashamed, after promising money to fix town hall. After being so sure of herself, only to let herself and everyponyelse down.

Always been the one to see me through...

"Always so damn stubborn! You can come to us, you know!" Rainbow Dash was pacing in front of Applejack before turning on her again. "To ME!"

"Ah know...Dash, Ah know...Ah just...Ah couldn't....face you...Ah couldn't disappoint you, or anypony else by losin'...but especially you..."

Rainbow Dash looked at Applejack at those words. She felt something along her spine as their eyes locked. Something she knew had been there for a long time, but she'd kept pushed away.

Rainy day man
You're much more than a friend...

No one could accuse Rainbow Dash of being subtle. Far from it, really. She didn't always think ahead, either. Sometimes, she just acted. Instinct, brashness, need, desire...going head-first into action without thinking through the consequences. Sometimes it was disastrous. But sometimes...sometimes it was just right.

She stepped close and before Applejack could even react, their lips were touching. Kissing. Rainbow Dash hadn't even known she was going to do it until her lips were on Applejack's, kissing the other pony deeply, her wings spread wide.

I found someone who cared for me...

Comments ( 14 )

I liked it but it seemed a bit too short for a story that encompasses such a large story arc. There's nothing wrong with it but I personally would have liked it to be longer.

This was really good, and I liked your writing style, but the only thing was that the story could have been a little more in-detail, and a bit longer, just like Thefurehazzard said. Anyways I'd love to see more!:ajsmug:

Not a bad read, however I want to note one thing that you state in your description. Applejack is the faithful, loyal best friend who is always Rainbow Dash's shoulder, there through thick and thin no matter what. In all honesty, you got that backwards, loyal and faithful and being by your side through thick and thin is Rainbow Dash, not Applejack. Applejack is dependable, and honest. Other than that I felt it could have used a little more detail so I give you a 4 out of 5 (I am only judging you on the story, not the description) :moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:

that first scene, was that Dash and Gilda?

815076
If I had more think-through time for it, it probably would have been longer. I basically got inspired to write this story this morning around 3:45am as I was about to crawl into bed, and spent til about 5am writing it out because I knew if I let it go it would never get written otherwise. And I hadn't been bitten with the inspiration bug for writing for so long I just HAD to get this out. I have a few more ideas in line that I'm hoping will be longer. :rainbowkiss:
815190
Indeed, RD is the loyal one. Applejack is described as faithful and strong, but in my personal opinion from the show, while RD may be loyal to her friends and would never abandon them, to me Applejack shows herself as more the pony that would be the shoulder to cry on and the rock rather than Rainbow Dash, but that's my personal view. :pinkiesmile:

815786
I'm not going to lie, I heavily considered Gilda for that first scene. But I didn't want to twist canon too much being somewhat new to the ponydom, since I'd had have to have shifted it a bit to the episode where Gilda came back, and it was far too late(or early!) for my brain to process the effort and detail that would need to go into it. ^_^

816275 Oh yeah I agree with you there though, Rainbow Dash isn't the type to let someone cry on her shoulder. I was just making a general statement is all. :raritywink:

816291
No worries at all, happy for the feedback! :derpytongue2:

Written on a whim at 3:45 in the morning? Color me impressed. You've left me wanting more. All in all, very nicely written.

818501
:ajsleepy: Thank you very much. :) It's been probably a year or so since I've been hit with the real urge to write, so I couldn't let it go!

Wow, this is pretty good! Although I must admit, it could've been longer, but your writing proved well enough! 4/5

819254

Thank you! :pinkiesmile: Once I'm done moving and get settled in, I'll be trying to work on another one that hopefully I'll be able to make longer. ^.^

One-shots are the backbone of a growing skill in writing, and I'd say you've already got some good solid writing skills. I'm looking forward to seeing more from you :D

840821

Thanks. One-shots help scrape away the rust that grows from years of writers block, rofl.

Love the show awesome story too.:pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment