• Published 1st Jul 2016
  • 1,878 Views, 32 Comments

Editor Required - stupidhand14



Not long after testing new magic in Equestira, Sunset Shimmer notices that one of her friends are gone, and no one seems to remember them. Now, armed with enough knowledge of magic, Sunset must set the world's past right.

  • ...
4
 32
 1,878

Chapter 6: Missing (unedited)

Author's Note:

Warning, this is an unedited version uploaded only for the NaPoWriMo challenge.

This is not a final product. It is a rough draft that I needed to post in order to get over the 10k mark.

I would suggest not reading until the (unedited) addendum is removed.

Remember, Criticism is always welcome.

The first of Sunset’s senses to return was hearing. The surroundings sounded faintly of classical music. After a few seconds her eyes opened. It looked like she was in the Akashic records, though the air was colder on her skin. With an annoyed sigh, Sunset marched over to the desk.

It was still clean. Hast had obviously not shown up yet. Taking a deep breath, Sunset lay her hand on the desk. “Hast, I know you’re watching. Come out. Now.” A second later, Sunset heard a popping sound behind her.

“What do you need?” a male voice asked. Turning around, Sunset found Hast standing there wearing a pair of pajamas. “It’s my off time and I’m trying to sleep.”

“I am in the records,” Sunset said through gritted teeth. “I was trying to enter that book of yours, so why am I here?”

Hast was silent for a time. Rubbing his face he turned away. “Is that really what you woke me up for?” He looked back at her over his shoulder. “You are in the book. Can’t you tell?”

“Not every book looks like this.” Sunset gestured to her surroundings. “Why am I here?”

Hast snapped and disappeared, reappearing behind the desk. He was now dressed in his normal outfit. “This isn’t the Akashic records. You are, actually, in the tutorial book.” Hast swiveled in his chair, doing a full rotation. When he came back around, he had a little laptop on his lap. On it was a map of the records.

“See, this doesn’t actually have the full wings of books, only a much smaller selection of practice books. It also has the editor’s area, as well as all the tools you’ve unlocked.”

“Tools I’ve unlocked?” Sunset got a little closer. “What do you mean?”

“Naturally we can’t trust a new editor with tools that could rip the space-time continuum in two, so that’s restricted until you’ve fixed a few mistakes.” Hast gave her a grin. “Though, since you’ve successfully fixed an issue, you probably have a new tool. You can see what you’ve unlocked in this room right here.” Hast pointed to a room marked Armory. “Now, if you don’t need anymore help learning how to work this place, I’m going back to…”

Sunset heard a ringtone. Hast reached into his pocket, pulling out a comically large cellphone. Clicking a button, he put it up to his ear. “Hello?” Hast was silent for a time, only nodding. “Be there soon.” Clicking another button, Hast put the phone away, making a face. “Well, I have to go and explain something now. Toodles!” WIth another snap, Hast was gone.

Sunset stood still for a moment, before asking to no one. “Explain to who?”


Sunset was in the armory. The wall was coated in pegs, and rough outlines of tools around them. However, there were two actual items on the walls. The first was the robe she wore when entering the time displacer, while the second was a strange metal rod.

Sunset walked first to the robe. There was nothing around it to explain what it did, but if Hast was being honest, this should answer most of her questions about it. After inspecting every nook and cranny, Sunset finally touched the robe itself. The moment she did this, a text box came out of it, floating in front of the article of clothing in question.

These robes were designed by [REDACTED] to act in conjunction with the editors and the time displacer. The inside is laced with runes which permit alterations of the past without leading to a butterfly effect by negating the wearers subconscious impact on the world.

Sunset couldn’t help but smile. That meant that, whatever the robe was, it was a counter measure to what Starswirl described as the cascading displacement, meaning it would work without messing anything up. Whoever designed it had to be a genius.

The robe will also gives the wearer boosts to their physical abilities proportional to their rank, starting once they are a validated Editor. The highest rank permits double stamina, strength, and ability to jump. Once the outfit is removed, all effects disappear.

Sunset blinked and reread that paragraph. Even in Equestria, spellwork that altered a pony’s physical abilities was a developing field, and highly dangerous. However, judging by the wording, it appeared nothing bad would come from wearing it. Maybe she could study the runes within the robe a bit.

When worn outside of the Akashic Records or the past by a validated Editor, it will transform itself into the perfect outfit, as per the wearer’s preference. It will also revert back whenever it is brought back to the records. If returned outside, it will take a new form, if the user wishes.

Sunset stared blankly for a minute, her mind racing through the possibilities. After thinking it through, she asked one simple question to the empty room. “What’s the point of this?” Why would that be built into a suit whose sole purpose was to protect the wearer. Why did it matter if it looked good?

Sunset finally let go of the robe and, with the touch, the description disappeared as well. With many, many questions, Sunset took two steps to the right and touched the metal rod. Just like the robe, another box opened up with a quick description.

This rod, developed by [REDACTED] has the ability to implant basic motivation for people. This can range from wanting to leave the room to wanting to opening a locked door just to make sure whatever is inside is still there. The effects are not permanent, and will not work if it is a decision the person would not normally do. After a few minutes, the event itself will be forgotten.

Sunset’s brow furrowed. This magic was in the grey zone with all other forms of mind manipulation. It was a violation of privacy and free thought. Then again, it could be useful, if used in a limited way. Looking around, Sunset checked the room one more time.

No new items had appeared. Turning around, she left the supposed armory and turned left towards the Time Displacer. Standing in front of it, she placed her hand against it. Immediately, the next text box appeared.

Time Displacer is only to be operated by an Editor with at least two weeks training.

Two weeks of training? Sunset’s face contorted in anger. She would be speaking to Hast about this. After several seconds and a few deep breathes, Sunset continued to read.

This device has the ability to put someone back to any point in the past, making it the third most useful place. It is limited in that it can only be activated in edit mode if there has been an error found and an editing order has been placed. However, it can be used in view mode, allowing someone to travel through the past without affecting anything. In this setting, the editor using the device will be unable to affect any object in the past.

That was it? Sunset touched different parts of the Time Displacer, but no other information appeared. It didn’t explain anything. Taking another deep breath, Sunset started to walk the halls, looking for anything else. Suddenly, the entire world began to shake, accompanied by a loud siren.

Sunset ran out to the front desk, trying to keep her balance through the shaking halls. The first thing she noticed was a big door with an exit sign on top. Rushing towards it, she opened the door and all but slammed it behind her. She was plunged into black.


Sunset turned over in her bed. Her alarm clock’s alarm was still ringing loudly. Scrunching her eyes and letting out a growl, she finally mustered the energy to hit the snooze button. Before she allowed her body to get a few more minutes of sleep, a casual glance at the clock put her plans to a stop. It was already 7:00.

Flinging herself out of bed, Sunset all but ran through her daily routine. What would normally take her 45 minutes only took her 20 as she rushed through everything. By the time she was out the door, she had a bagel in her hand and mouth, and everything she needed.

The one thing she forgot to do was lock her door.


Sunset was already at the cafeteria when the lunch bell rang. Smiling and shaking her head, she watched as people all but trampled each other in an attempt to be the first to get the cafeteria’s taco.

“Ha! I totally beat them,” Rainbow boasted, holding her tray as if it was a hunting trophy or a prize. “That’s what happens when you don’t keep up on exercise, I guess.”

“You were first among them,” Sunset gave her friend an evil grin, “but I still beat you.” Sunset waved her hand to her tray.

“Yeah, but you cheat.” Rainbow sat down, all but devouring her food.

“By the way, how was last night?” Sunset asked innocently.

“Last night?” Rainbow paused in eating, frowning slightly. After a few seconds, her face lit up as she remembered. “Oh, yeah. Dinner was good. Had some nice steak.”

Sunset raised a single eyebrow as she regarded Rainbow. She was really going to stick with that lie? “Look, you don’t have to lie to me.”

“Hello.” Twilight took the seat adjacent to Sunset. “What’s Rainbow lying about?”

“I’m not lying.” Rainbow gave the two a glare. “Just wait until AJ gets here. She’ll show you I’m telling the truth.”

“What do y’all want me to confirm?” Applejack asked as she sat down.

“Sunset doesn’t believe I have monthly family dinner night. But you can tell them I’m telling the truth with that crazy lie detector skill you have.”

“Lie detector skill?” Twilight shook her head. “You do know that lie detectors are almost always inaccurate, and have since fallen out of practice. It’s nothing but pseudoscience. This is nothing more than subjective experience speaking.”

“I don’t know anything about lie detectors, but I know you’re secretly hoping that I do have something like that.” Applejack sat back smugly as Twilight stared agape at her. “Now, as for RD?” Applejack cocked her head for a few seconds. “Nope. She’s lyin’’”

“What?!” Rainbow stood out of her chair. “AJ, come on!”

“I ain’t lyin’ for y’all.” Applejack shrugged. “I was asked to tell if you was lyin’, and I did.” Without wasting a moment, Applejack returned to her meal.

Rainbow stood silent for a few seconds before scooting slightly closer to Twilight and putting her arm around her shoulder. “Well, I’m with Twilight on this one. There’s no such thing as a lie detector.”

The rest of the group, including Twilight, gave her a flat stare. This continued for several seconds until Pinkie appeared.

“Hey!” Pinkie shouted as she practically fell out of the sky into her chair. “Dashie, how did your parents like those cookies?”

“Huh?” Rainbow blinked twice before smiling. “Oh! Yeah, they loved it. How did you know that was my mom’s favorite type?”

“Research, my dear Rainbow.” Pinkie gave her a goofy grin. “Besides, you ask for one every month for your family dinner, so I had to get lucky some time.”

The rest of the table fell ominously silent. Rainbow grinned like a fool while Applejack simply looked confused.

“Wait, so you do actually have family dinners?” Sunset asked after a few seconds of relative silence.

“Yeah. I wasn’t lying.”

“Then why haven’t any of us heard about it?” Applejack pinched the bridge of her nose. “I haven’t once heard of any family dinners besides my own.”

“I don’t share my entire life with you.”

Before anything else could be said, both Rarity and Fluttershy arrived. After everyone had been assembled, Twilight spoke up.

“Um, can I ask any of you for advice?” Her face was slightly red, as if embarrassed over asking for help.

“Of course you can, darling.” Rarity flashed her a glittering smile. “If you ever need advice, we’re your friends. We’ll be there for you.”

Taking a deep breathe, Twilight returned the smile. “Okay, well…” she gulped, “this morning, Flash Sentry was in front of my house and offered to drive me over here so I didn’t have to wait out in the cold or take the bus.”

“That’s a little creepy,” Rainbow offered. “How long did he wait for you?”

“Rainbow!” Rarity looked appalled. “It’s not creepy, it’s romantic.”

“Romantic?” Twilight’s face reddened a bit more. “You mean, like romance romantic?”

“Of course darling, oh you simply must tell me more.” Rarity and the rest of the group mined Twilight for all the details she was willing to share. Only Applejack was caught up in her own thoughts.

She knew Rainbow was lying about the family dinners. But, if that was the case, why was Pinkie covering for her?


For once, Sunset was fully awake during her seventh period, getting more than a few pages of notes on the progressive era.

“And that is how the Wizard of Oz is a political book,” the history teacher finished as the bell rang. For once, there weren’t any students rushing out immediately. “Heh. I guess this lecture actually interested some of you. Have a good day.”

Sunset packed up her bags quickly before following Twilight out of the class.

“You heading straight home after this?” Sunset asked as they walked.

“No, actually.” Twilight blushed. “After this morning’s ride, I asked if he would take me to crystal Prep after this, and he said yes.” She paused for a moment. “You want to come with me?”

“Would Flash be okay with that?”

“I’m pretty sure he would.” Twilight pulled out her phone and read a text. “He says he’s in front of the school right now.”

The two picked up the pace and walked straight to Flash’s car.

“Hey Twilight,” he gave her a wave. “Ready to head over to Crystal Prep.” After a second he noticed Sunset and visibly deflated. “Oh, Sunset’s coming along too?”

“You don’t mind, do you?” Twilight asked, oblivious to his plight.

“No, no.” Flash sighed and a small smile formed on his lips. “I don’t mind if Sunset comes too, though I hope you’ll sit up front.”

“If that’s your one rule, I’m okay with it.” Sunset hopped in the back seat. “Don’t worry, Flash. You won’t even know I’m here.”

“Why do I doubt that?” Flash mumbled under his breathe.


“We’re here,” Flash announced as he pulled into a parking spot outside of Canterlot high. Most of the students were already gone, even though it was only 2:30. “You sure they know we’re coming?”

“Yes.” Twilight pulled out her phone. “I already texted Principal Cadence to tell her that I was coming to pick up a few more things from my lab.” The three got out of the car and began to make their way to Twilight’s lab.

“Principal Cadence?” Sunset frowned as she thought. “Wasn’t Cadence only a dean before? What happened to Principal Cinch?”

“Oh, right.” Twilight took a deep breathe. “From what I’m told, after she returned to her office after losing the Friendship Games she wrote her resignation, claiming she needed some time off.”

“Ouch, that bad?” Flash flinched. “I didn’t know her pride was that… strange.”

Twilight led the group down the flight of stairs and straight to her lab. “Um, I should probably tell you this now. I may have left my lab a bit messy before coming to Canterlot High. So… be prepared for anything.”

Twilight took in a small breath before opening the door. She was ready to confront whatever fungus had grown, or which computers were still running their simulations, or anything at all relating to her research.

What she didn’t prepare herself for was an empty room.

Twilight blinked a few times. “What?” She looked around the stark room. “Where is everything?” Twilight took a few steps into the room, looking around. “Where are my experiments, my devices, the simulations?”

“Twilight?” Sunset placed a hand on her shoulder. “You okay?”

“Years of progress and diagrams. Gone.” Twilight’s eyes were still fogged, her voice hollow.

“I’m going to go get Principal Cadence,” Flash said before he ran back out the hall.

“Twilight, it’s okay.” Sunset shook Twilight slightly. “We’re going to get your stuff back.”

“Are we?” Twilight looked at Sunset. They once again had life in them. “How are we going to do that?”

“Doesn’t Crystal Prep have cameras in places?” Sunset suggested. “Even Canterlot High has those, so surely Crystal Prep does.”

“You’re right.” Twilight’s eyes gained a fire of righteous anger. “We can use that to find out who did this.”

“Twilight?” a voice asked. The two turned and saw Principal Cadence walking in behind Flash. “What happened, now?”

“Someone stole everything in here,” Twilight answered. “Can we get the camera footage?”

Principal Cadence thought for a few seconds. “I’m sorry, but I can’t allow that.” Before anyone could protest, she held up a hand. “I need to go through the proper channels, and get the proper authorities to hunt down whoever took it.”

“But what if it’s magic related?” Sunset pointed out. “We’re the only ones with experience handling magical creatures.”

“If that’s the case, then I will allow you to handle it.” Principal Cadence turned around. “I need to report this right away.” She marched from the room. After a few seconds, the trio heard her voice again. “Hello, Shining? Yes. Your sister’s here and something’s happened.” Her voice trailed away until they could no longer hear her.

Flash scratched the back of his head. “Well… anywhere else you’d like me to take you?”

“No.” Twilight shook her head. “I’ll need to try and remember everything that was stolen, so that I can give Cadence a list.” She thought for a moment. “She’ll probably take me home, so I don’t need you to give me a ride.”

“Oh. Yeah. Alright.” Flash turned to Sunset. “Want me to give you a ride home?”

“That’d be nice, yeah.” Sunset placed her hand on Twilight’s shoulder again. “Don’t worry, we’ll get them.”

Twilight nodded solemnly. Flash and Sunset waved a goodbye as they returned to the car.

“Man, that sucks.” Flash glared at the sky. “Who would steal a bunch of stuff from a school?”

“Yeah.” Sunset’s mind was already trying to piece her information together. Was this theft related to the past? Was it what allowed the person the ability to travel back in time?

“So, you wanna go straight home?” Flash asked as he got into the driver seat and started the car.

“That’d be nice, yeah.” Sunset had a few questions for Hast. Questions she would make sure would be answered.


Flash pulled up in front of Sunset’s house. Sunset was still lost in thought, but Flash noticed something she didn’t. “Hey, is your front door open?”

Sunset looked and saw that her door was slightly ajar. She felt a chill go down her spine and immediately got out of the car. Flash turned the car off and got out after her. Sunset cautiously walked forward. The burglar could still be in her house. The two teens got to the door and pushed it open slowly.

The living room wasn’t messed up in any way. Everything was still perfectly in place. None of her valuables were taken, not that she had any. Her couch was still put together, and nothing seemed to have been broken. Putting a finger to her lips, she warily entered her own house.

Going to the back of the house, Sunset moved quietly, getting her fists ready. Flash moved equally stealthily behind her. Before long, they got to her room and still no sign of who had gotten into her house.

Sunset gulped as she approached the closed door to her room. This was the last room of the house they hadn’t searched. If someone was still in here, they’d be in her room. Slowly, Sunset put her hand on the handle and quickly flung the door open. The moment it opened a crack, Flash ran in, looking for someone to fight.

The room was empty.

Like every other room in the house, nothing was broken. Nothing was rearranged. Everything appeared to be the exact same as it had been. Sunset’s eyes scanned the room, until finally finding something that was out of place.

Both the Book of History and the Instantaneous Message Journal were gone.

Comments ( 4 )

This actually sounds very interesting and thus I will be keeping an eye on this one. :twilightsmile:

There's an irony in the latest chapter to this story being labeled as unedited.

Is this story dead?

8685734
Technically, yes. I've been trying to write the next chapter but haven't really had the time to develop it in the way that I want. Hopefully in the coming weeks I'll have some time, but for now? Consider it dead.

Login or register to comment