• Published 4th Mar 2016
  • 2,808 Views, 37 Comments

One Guard, One Princess - Ember Flare



One day Flash get noticed that he is going to be a Princess Twilight's personal guard. Once they both find out who they are, they have a hard time being together. Twilight and Flash both have feelings for each other, but who will confess them first?

  • ...
10
 37
 2,808

Chapter 11: Nightmares

It was a pleasant day in the Crystal Empire, again, and the six mares were just roaming the streets, with Flash and Spike talking behind them.

“So, Twilight, when are you going to tell Flash, you like him?” Fluttershy asked.

Twilight put her hoof over her mouth. “Shhh…. He doesn’t need to know, yet.” She sighed. “I don’t know.” She took her hoof away.

Rainbow looked at her. “Why?”

“What?” The princess asked.

“Why can’t he know, yet?”

Twilight sighed. “I guess I’m just afraid, he will reject me.”

“Why in Equestria would he ever do that?” Rarity asked. “You’re the Princess of Friendship.”

“That’s just it, I don’t have any experience in relationships.” Twilight sighed, walking with her head down. “How would I ever be able to be in one? I’ve read so many books on it, but none of them told me step-by-step of what I’m suppose to do.”

Applejack put her hoof on the princess’s shoulder. “No book can ever tell you that, because love and relationships are precious. You can’t put it on any scale or specific directions.”

“That is the one thing that doesn’t come with a study guide, no matter how much you research for it.” Rarity added. “It’s something you do at your own pace, not somepony else’s.”

Twilight smiled, but soon turned into a frown, once more. “But, what if…. what if I tell him, but he doesn’t feel the same for me back? What then?”

“Then that’s his problem!” Pinkie shouted.

“Pinkie!” The rest of them wined.

She shrugged her shoulders. “What, it’s the truth.”

Rainbow snickered a bit, with Applejack punching her in the foreleg.

The princess smiled a bit. “I guess you’re right. I am thinking about this too much?”

“Just a tiny bit.” Fluttershy agreed. “But not too much.”

The rest of them started to laugh a bit. But not to far behind them, there was another conversation going on.

“I don’t know, Spike. That just doesn’t seem right.” Flash stated.

Spike groaned. “Oh come, it has to sound right.”

“Well, it doesn’t, it sounds wrong. I think you need to get your facts straight."

“You’re starting to sound like Twilight, you know that?” The baby dragon yacked. “Always having a list of facts to back you up. Blah, Blah, Blah.”

Flash glared at him. “That’s not true. Anyway, how could you say the Broncos are the worst team, in hoofball?”

Spike shrugged. “I don’t know, I mean. How could you say that they are the best?”

“Well, maybe it’s because that’s what I was made to like when I was younger, and like now.”

“Wait, what? Made to like, when you were younger?” Spike was confused.

The guard gazed in the opposite direction of the dragon. “Well, yeah, made to like the team. Is there a problem with that?” He looked back at Spike.

He shook his head. “Nope, nothing at all.”

“Okay, then. Then that is settled.” They kept walking.

“But seriously, Dude. Seriously, the Broncos.” Spike asked in disbelief.

Flash glanced at Twilight, then back Spike. “Yeah, why not?”

“But why so?”

“Because….” There was silence after Flash stated that answer.

Spike thought for a moment. “That’s not an answer.”

“I know…”

“Then why did you say it?” The baby dragon asked.

The orange pegasus smirked. “Because I can.”

Spike gave him a look of bemusement. “No. Just. No. That isn’t funny, dude.” He shook his head. “ And it will never be funny. So, just don’t say that again.”

Flash turned his head forward, with a triumph smile on his face. “Wasn’t doing this for your amusement, I was doing it for my own.”

Spike sighed. “You have a lot to learn.”

“About what?”

“About life.”

Flash rolled his eyes. “Jee, thanks. I’ve always wanted to learn about that. Since, you know, I haven’t known anything about that for the longest time.” He sarcastically said.

Spike just smiled, also looking what was in front of him. “You’re welcome.”

All eight of them finally came to the outskirts of the Crystal Empire. Twilight and her friends looked around, still talking. Spike walked up to Twilight, with her using her magic, to put the small dragon on her back. Flash looked around also, but then saw a black figure in the distance, just standing there. It felt quite strange to Flash, but try to shrug it off. He looked back there again, but this time it seemed to be walking closer. In an instant, everything and pony was frozen. Flash looked around, confused of why nothing was moving except him, and the other pony. A blue blast of magic appeared in front of him. He was covered in black clothing.

“Get away from Princess Twilight, or something will happen to her. And believe me it’s not going to be pretty.” The mysteries pony threatened, with his gruff voice. “ You got three minutes, and your time has already started.”

With that, he disappeared in the distance again, and everypony and thing went back to normal. Flash looked at the young princess, then thinking again. He walked up to Twilight who was talking to her friends, and Spike. He took a deep breath and realized he didn’t have anything to say. He knew he had to wing it, but he also knew he was wasting time. The clock was ticking.

“Princess.” Flash stated firmly, walking up to Twilight.

She turned around, looking at him, smiling. “Yes, Flash.”

“I have to go.” He let it slip. With that being said he turned the other way.

“Why?”

He knew he didn’t have the time to say, or explain it. “I just have to go.”

That's when the voice came back, but this time it was in his head. “Tick-Tock, you only got a minute left.”

“Just trust me, Princess. Look I just need to go.” Flash insisted.

“Thirty seconds left.” The voice reminded him.

Twilight just looked at him, levitating Spike off her back. Her friends looked at Flash with a strange look. Glancing at all of their faces, it just made him worried.

“Fifthteen seconds left.” The voice crept in his head once again.

He started walking away, but the young princess chose to follow him.

“Five seconds left.”

He turned around, looking at Twilight straight in her eyes. “I have to go for a moment. It’s for your own safety.”

“But… I don’t….” In that second, everything was frozen again.

The same pony appeared behind him. “You failed the task.” He laughed in his gruff voice. “I knew it would be impossible. She would never leave you, how sweet.” The mysterious pony said mocking Flash.

“You didn’t play fair then. You cheated.” The guard accused.

He laughed, with a devilish grin on his face. “Well sometimes you gotta learn the hard way then, huh? Sometimes you just have to stop being so gullible.” He disappeared in a blast of blue magic.

Flash looked around, finding soon to be hit with something hard. Turning behind him, getting punched in the face. Falling to the ground, looking then up. Seeing another pony, they were both dressed the same.

“He’s a wimp. Wonder how he even became a guard?” One stated.

“It doesn’t matter.” The other pony told his companion. “Get the princess’s magic.”

“How do I do that?”

The one with the gruffer voice groaned. “You stupid?” He hit him hard upside the head. “Take her cutie mark, put it in the jar you got, take it in that abandoned building, then light the building on fire. Got that.” The other one nodded, following his orders.

Flash looked up at them. Carefully standing up, gazing at the two ponies. As they went through with their own plan, but the guard just looked from one pony to the other. Watching as they worked on their plan of doom. Then he couldn’t move, it felt like he was super glued to the ground. The one pony looked at him.

“And you can’t do anything about this, can you?” He said with an evil grin.

The pony walked away, to help his partner with capturing the princess and her magic. Flash, fortunately, could still see what was happening. Either he forgot to complete the spell, or did it on purpose. The guard could help but to wonder if that mysterious pony did do all this for a reason. The two ponies took the princess to the now burning building, with her cutie mark in the jar. As soon as the two were out of sight,with Twilight, time continued as it should have moments before. At once, Flash, started running towards the burning building. He ran with all his might, not bearing to see somepony else who cares for him so much, leave again. Once he made it inside, the young guard looked around.

“Princess! Princess!” Flash shouted, as he called for Twilight. The only thing he could hear was the fire embers crackling.

Until there was a brief, and quite, cough. Flash eyes widened, as he keep looking around.

“Princess! Princess!” He kept calling. Searching frantically.

“Flash?” A voice called back.

“Princess!” The guard called again. “Princess!”

Trying to follow the sound of her voice, Flash walked quickly. Knowing the two times were different. Just because it felt like only a few minutes, it could of been twenty to , with this building in flames.

“Flash?” He heard again. The guard kept moving more quickly then ever, calling out her name.

“Twilight?!” He called out. “Twilight!!”

By this time Flash was worried if he would ever see her face again. Looking into her eyes, bring him to life. If Equestria would ever see the the Princess of Friendship. If the Elements of harmony would ever be able to defeat anypony else. He realized right from the beginning that all this was his fault. If he made the wrong choice, it could lead up to her future. The consequences.

“Flash?” Her voice was much clearer from before.

He turned his head, to look where the voice was coming from.

“Flash?” Twilight asked, looking up at him. “Where’s my cutie mark?” She was tied to a post and had a stern look on her face.

Flash sighed, knowing that she was okay. He went up to her and quickly untied the young princess from the post. “Just get out of the building, as fast as you can. I’ll find your cutie mark.” The guard stated, once Twilight was on her hooves, again.

“But, what about you?” She had the same look from before.

“I’ll be fine. Now go. Now!” Flash stated loudly.

Twilight nodded, following her guards orders. Flash looked around frantically, trying to gaze through the flames. Trotting quickly, breathing heavily. The ashes hurting his eyes, making Flash’s eyes water. He was walking so quickly that he tripped over something. Once he fell on the rugged tile, Flash got up immediately to look what he fell over. To his surprise, it was a glass jar with a cutie mark. The cutie mark belong to the princess, Princess Twilight Sparkle. The guard quickly got a hold of jar. Without even thinking, he took the jar, and broke the glass, by smashing it against the ground. Shattering to a million pieces, luckily he didn't cut himself. Once the cutie mark was free, it floating away quickly. Back to the princess, to whom it belonged to. Flash looked around, throwing the remaining pieces of the jar, in his hooves, on the rugged tile. Running as fast as he could to get out of the burning building. Until her saw something, or more like, somepony. There were three ponies standing there, but only one takes off his mask. He has jagged dark blue and yellow mane, with his coat matching the blue in his mane, and dark emerald eyes.

"Hello, Trash Sentry." He had a devilish look on his face.

Flash narrowed his eyes, knowing instantly who it was. "Lightning Streak." He muttered with a scowl upon his muzzle.

"Long time, no see, Trash." Lightning laughed.

"My name is not Trash, it's Flash." The guard growled.

"So, what do I get out of saying your real name? Plus what do I care?" He laughed again. "Anyway, if I know anything about construction, I know that this building is going to fall down any minute now."

At that moment Flash heard cuffs closing and locking in place. He looked at his hoof with the cuff on it, and back at Lightning Streak.

"And you're not going to be able to go back to your beloved princess." He smirked as his two companions chuckled.

The embers from the fire were still burning, it made Flash's eyes water.


"Awe, you going to cry, Trash. Face it you're not made to be cared for. Especially by Princess Twilight Sparkle." Flash took a deep breath, looking at him sternly. "I know that." The blue stallion smiled. "Good, because she is mine. And she will always be mine." With that, he turned, spread his wings out, and took flight. But before he did leave, Lightning turned his head, looking at Flash with the same devilish smirk. “See you later, Trash.” And with that he left. His two companions followed him but levitating themselves, leaving Flash cuffed to the pole. The guard struggled to get out, but had no success. He finally escapes from the cuffs and frantically looks for a way out. But before he could get out of the burning building, it crashed down. With Flash still in there, he ducked, and heard a long high pitched sound, until there was silence.

*************

Flash woke up, in a daze. Not seeing everything clearly. Once he gained clear consciousness, he looks around for somepony.

"Hello, anypony?" He tries to get up, but finds out he is tied to something. Flash looks down, and finds he is tied down to a chair. He rattles the rope a bit, before he was interrupted by a familiar voice.

"Hello, Trash Sentry." He said in a mocking voice.

Flash didn't want to look up, but did so anyway. "Lightning Streak." He growled.

The blue pegasus, smirked following with a laugh. "So, we meet again."

Flash snarled. "So we do. What do you want from me? It's not like I have anything you want."

Lightning shook his head in disappointment. Flash could see he was enjoy this, with the other stallion starting to laugh in a evil statement. "That's where you are wrong, Trash. You see, I do want something you have. Something you don't deserve to have."

"What? What do you want?"

Lightning walked slowly towards the young guard. "I want her."

Flash's eyes grew wide. They were filled with fear. "Why do you want her? Why do you want the princess?"

Lightning just smirked, with a devilish look crossed his face. "Because, I know I am in love with somepony when I see them. And I am very much in love with Princess Twilight. But I am a very lucky stallion."

"What are you talking about?" Flash raised one eyebrow while saying his question.

"He saying that you missed many things." And feminine voice, but a little gruff at the same time.

Flash took a deep breath, hoping it wasn't who he thought it was. "Winny?


A red mare came out of the shadows, with blood red mane and the tips colored black. With her wings were the same color.

“Hey, Flash.” Winny said in a mocking tone.

Flash could tell she wasn't trying to be friendly.

“Why are you doing this, Winny? Why are you going against the pony who made our life miserable as fouls?” Flash asked, concerningly.

“So, you think you are better then him, huh?” Another familiar voice asked, in a treating manner. “Huh?”

Flash’s eyes opened. “Thunderlane?”

A black coated stallion came out of the shadows. With a two-toned grey mane, and a stoned face look.

“Yeah, but you never answered my question.” Thunderlane said sternly. “Do you think you are better than him? Do you think you are better then Lightning Streak?”

“No.” Flash answered.

The black stallion looked over at Winny, with them exchanging glances.

“You know, it's very hard to believe you when you have lied to us for all these years, Trash.” Thunderlane smirked evilly.

Flash gave a death glare towards the two ponies. “Did you just call me Trash.”

“Yeah, he did. I should be your real name.” Winny shouted. “Since you are a one, Trash.”

“Why?” Flash shouted back. “Why are trying to make my life a living hell?! Why are you ganging up with the pony, who made our lives miserable all our lives?!”

“Because you were wrong about him!” Thunderlane shot back. “Are you going to cry about it, huh?”

“Because now you're all alone.” Winny said in her mocking baby voice. “Everypony has left you, and no pony loves you.”

The two swiftly walked towards him, then circling around Flash.

“Aren't you scared of this world?” Thunderlane said.

Flash growled. “No, why would I be?”

Winny smirked mischievously. “Well remember that little incident at fifteen?”

“Yeah at that cliff. If you don't remember it I can tell you about it.”

“I remember it like it was yesterday.” Winny smiled at Thunderlane.

“Me too. Let me ask you a question. Why didn't you just die there? There is no use in staying here if everypony is here against you.” Thunderlane asked.

Winny went along. “Yeah, why didn't you just, you know, jump off the cliff. Why did we help you stay here?” She looked at the black stallion.

“I don't know, we did we help you? When you should of-”

“Enough!” He was cut off by a loud, but angelic voice. “I think we have put him through enough right now.”

Flash’s two friends stopped encompassing him, standing behind his chair. He looked over, seeing Lightning Streak, whom had been standing there, smiling. A dark shadow came flying down, into the light to be seen. The pony wasn't visible to see, there was a cloak on top of her.

“Why are you here again?” The mare said.

Flash sighed in disappointment. “I am not for sure. I just know that I have too-”

“Take care of the princess. Princess Twilight Sparkle, am I right?”

“Yes, ma’am.” Flash nodded.

Her head turned towards the blue stallion. “He doesn't know yet, does he?”

“No, he doesn't.” Lightning answered flatly.

Flash titled his head. “Don't know what? And why I'm I here?!” He shouted. “What do you all want from me!?”

“Silence!” The mare shouted back. “You are not my guard anymore!”

“Wait, but…” Flash couldn't speak anything more than that.

The young mare took off her hood, with her pink magic aurora. “I'm the pony you did have to protect.” Twilight voice was cold and icy. It sent chills down Flash spine. “You've been in a coma for nine months, and who is supposed to protect me in those nine months. I can't just stand around waiting for you.”

“Then who's your guard?” Flash asked breathlessly.

This was too much to handle as the young princess smirked devilishly. It was a look that Flash had never seen before, it made his heart stop she start walking at a slow pace. Increasing the intensity of the moment. Making the guard worried with every step she made. With every breath she took. Making her way toward him. The pony who he hated the most. The pony who just wanted what her, Twilight Sparkle. Who said that he was “in love” with her. Lightning Streak. The young princess stood by him. The princess, with scars on her forelegs, stood by the blue stallion.

“He's my guard. Lightning Streak.” She looked up at him with a simple smile.

Flash was heartbroken, but couldn't show it. He growled. “How did you become a guard?”

Lightning just smirked as he always did, with a devilish look crossing his face. “After you went missing, I became the replacement for you.”

“I went missing?” Flash stated in an angry. “Why didn't-”

“Because I don't care!” Twilight shouted. “We don't care. Nopony cares about you. Lighting, Winny, and Thunderlane have told me the truth! One day you will become a murderer, a killer. Everypony says ‘The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. And you know what? That's true! So who wants to be with an orphan? I'll tell you, Nopony!”

“I know that! There is nothing you can say to me that I already know!” Flash shot back.

Twilight sighed and shook her head. “This is why I wouldn’t wait for you. You are arrogant, foolish, and selfish. You only want to protect yourself.”

“That’s not true!” Flash shouted. “If all I wanted to do was protect myself, then why be a guard?”

“You tell me?” Twilight stated icily. “But..” She paused, and walking towards Flash. Circling around the chair he was tied to. “If you're not trying to protect yourself, then why didn’t tell me about your mother? What happened to her?” The princess stopped by his face, carefully saying each word, and pronouncing it with definition.

Flash keep a straight face. “I didn’t think it was important for you to know.”

“You liar. You dirty little liar.” Twilight walked away from her former guard. “You really think that I would believe that? You really think I am naive?”

“No, I don’t.” Flash said flatly.

She lifted one eyebrow, then looked from Winny and Thunderlane, to Lighting. Nodding at all them, like giving them a signal. If they practice or even plan this was going to happen. The three ponies walked in different directions, while Twilight stayed in the same spot.

“So, you really think you love me, huh?” Twilight smirked, playfully.

Flash was a bit confused. “I don't quite understand, Princess.”

“You really think I would fall for you, when you can't even get a commoner to love you?”She scoffed. “You really think you are worthy enough to be with me? Please, you're not even worthy to touch trash, with your bare hooves.”

“What are you even saying anymore?!” The guard shouted. “You're not the same Twilight I met, the first time we hung out. The first time we talked. The first time we-”

Twilight glared at him painfully, not wanting to remember the past if the two. “Enough! I don't want to hear that!”

“Why? Are you scared that-” Flash was cut off by his own words.

“Silence!” Twilight shot back. “You are worth nothing towards Equestria. Why should you even be here, when you have nothing to offer in being on this world? Not even worthy enough to touch the dirt. Just face it, you should have left a long time ago.”

Flash was speechless. He had nothing to say. The one who trusted in him, it had been broken. The one he loved the most, was gone.

“The one thing that matters right now is that you're gone!” Twilight shouted.

Flash didn't do anything.

Twilight smiled. “Are you going to cry?” She laughed. “Because you just a wimp, who has your past haunt you. Everywhere you go, you're ignored, pushed around, neglected. What's the use of even sticking around?”

In that moment, he felt like he was being pushed back. Like a wave, pushing him hard, but not knocking him on the ground.

“Face it, you'll never be anything. Nopony will ever love or care for you. You have no future. There is no way somepony would ever fall for you, Trash. You don't deserve to live.” Twilight stated in a cold manner. “You are nothing, and you'll always be that way. You're not a hero, you're a killer. And everypony will always see you that way.”

That moment he heard creaking. Like rusted metal, scraping against each other, following by a cool breeze. Flash knew instantly where he was. He was on the cliff, where he stood when he was fifteen years old. The smell of wet wood, from the bark of the trees. The fresh grass smell, of the rain, sprinkling down. Except it wasn't a sprinkling, the rain was post down hard. He looked into the princess's eyes. They weren't full of kindness and love anymore, instead it was replaced with darkness, icy coldness from her voice, and hate rage.

“Do you know where you are?” Twilight’s expression didn't change, with only her raising one eyebrow.

Flash answered with a simple nod.

“What happen? Did you loose your voice over sadness? Or was it fear and shock?” Twilight smirked devilishly. The same way Lightning Streak had done before.

“No.” Flash answered simply.

“Do you know why you are here?”

The former guard didn't answer, but feeling his heart sink to the pit of his stomach. He knew exactly why he was here.

“Remember the innocent at fifteen, Trash?”

He didn't answer, keeping a stern look on his face. The only noise that could be heard, was the rain beating upon the ground.

“You're here, well I have brought you here, for that innocent to actually happen. Not just trying to attempt trying to jump of the cliff.” The young princess said strictly, with it following up by a small quiet snicker.

Flash's eyes grew wide, as the chair was pulled back. The dragging stopped, with the opposite direction leaning. Leaning off the edge off the rocky cliff.

“After this, what do you get out of this?” Flash asked, breathlessly. “Why is my death, getting something that you never had?”

Twilight’s lips curled into a smile, carefully walking up to him. “You want to know what it gives me? It gives me peace.” She stopped, close to his face, activating her magic, placing a pink aura on the back of the chair. “It gives Equestria peace and safety. It gives everypony happiness, knowing that you are gone, for good.”

The chair tilted backwards even more. Flash looked down and back at the princess.

“Good bye, Flash.” She smiled, mischiefly.

With that she let go of the chair, letting it fall backwards. Flash saw every dash by so fast, trying to escape, the highly wrapped top. Know that this was it. Closing his eyes, taking a deep breath. Right before he hit the water, he sprung up. Breathing heavily looking around, finding himself on the bed.

“Flash, Flash? Are you okay?” A familiar voice asked, in a very concern voice.

The voice was sweet, like an angelic angel, with a hint of uneasiness. He turned to look who it was. There was a purple mare, sitting next to him, Twilight. He couldn't say anything, he was in so much shock. Flash just went in and gave Twilight a loving embrace, holding on to her. All this caught the young princess off guard. After a few moments past, the guard felt a pair a fore legs wrapping around him, in the same loving embrace. He sighed in relief, knowing she was on his side. Not knowing anything about his past. He never wanted to lose her. Twilight was his world. After a few moments past, Flash was the first to let go. Twilight did also, right after Flash did so.

He groaned. “Ow…” Flash felt stiff in the minute, laying back down.

“Be careful. You don't want to get in even worse condition.” The young princess stated, smiling passionately.

Flash chuckled a bit. “What happen out there?”

“What happened out there was a building fell on top of you, you cracked your left rib, broke your right foreleg, got another fracture in your wing, and went unconscious for two days.” Twilight answered, with a worried look on her face. “Which is lucky. You could of died.”

“Oh.” The guard looked down, thinking about what the princess said. “Wait did you say, ‘Unconscious for two days.’?”

The princess nodded.

“Oh, no.” Flash started to panic. “Where am I? Are you okay? Did something else go wrong? Is Prince Armor upset with me? Are you mad at me? You didn't get hurt, did yo-”. He was cut off by the young princess, placing her hoof in front of his mouth.

Twilight smiled, with amusement showing on her face. “Flash one question at a time.” Lowering her hoof down, looking at her guard. “You’re in the Crystal Empire. Shining Armor isn't upset with you, but he does want to see you, as soon as you can get out of here. And I'm not mad at you or get hurt.”

All Flash could do was look down, not knowing what to say.

“Maybe I should get some more ice for your head.”

“My head?” Flash was confused.

Twilight got up, walking away, then looking back at him. “Oh, did I forget to tell you? You hit your head pretty hard.”

The orange pegasus raised his left hoof, to feel the side of his head. Realizing there was a tight, rough bandage wrap, gazing at the princess her walking out door.

“Wait!”

Flash held out his left foreleg, as the purple alicorn turned back towards him.

“Yes, Flash?” Twilight asked, sweetly.

The guard was speechless. Her voice even took his breath away. She was perfect in every way. It made his heart break, then sink to the bottom of his stomach.

There is no way in Equestria, why she would love me. Flash told himself. Why does she even care for me? She's the Princess of Friendship, there is no reason for her to care so much for me. If she knew the truth, she would hate me. Just like everypony else.

“Can I ask you one question, Princess?” Flash looked down, avoiding Twilight's gaze.

She carefully paced towards him, then stopped right by his bed he was laying in. “Of course you can. What is it?”

“Well… can you just stay here till, I fall asleep?” Flash kept looking the other way, shutting his eyes tight. “At least for one more minute, can you just stay here? Not for a long time though. Please?” He gazed over at Twilight, with his eyes open.

The alicorn just stood there, not know what to do or say.

Flash glanced at the floor again. “Sorry, that was a stupid question. I suppose you are very busy. Forgive me of my idiocy.” He sighed, facehoofing himself. Shutting his eyes tight, not wanting to see her facial expression.

In that moment he felt somepony holding his other hoof. The young guard opened his eyes, finding himself locking eyes with the most beautifulest princess, Twilight.

“You're not an idiot, nor was it a stupid.” She lowered her hoof.

Flash looked at her, her sweet smile, her soothing words, made everything seem fine again. There was just something about her that made him special. Made him feel like somepony important. It didn’t make him feel like, garbage.

“Lay down.” Twilight pulled over a stool, sitting by him, smiling. “The doctor says you need rest.”

“Are you sure?” Flash was worried. “But I need to protect you. That’s my job.”

She sighed. “No, it isn’t. Your job right now is to get some rest.”

“But..”

“Sleep.” Twilight looked at him, sternly. “You need to rest.”

Flash laid back, closing his eyes, then feeling a hoof intertwined with his. Knowing whose it was, which brought a small smile upon his face. Finding himself slowly passing out. Breathing slower and heavier, all the noises around him fading away. Then remembering something, he didn’t want to remember.

**FLASHBACK**

It was a dark and cloudy day, and young eight year-old Flash Sentry was standing in a very sad and miserable place.

“Hello, it’s me again.” Flash said, in a sad tone. “I can’t believe that I never knew. Why didn’t anypony tell, until it was too late?”

The young colt stood in front of a grave, the grave of his mother's. Tears were forming his eyes. He tried to push all his fears aside, but couldn’t.

I can’t cry. Crying is for babies…. The orange colt told himself.

His eyes started watering. “Why did you have to go?” Flash sniffled. “Why did you have to leave? I have nopony. I have nopony that trust me. I get picked on and beaten up at school, and now get beaten up at home too.”

There was no answer, but somehow he found peace inside him.

“Oh, I almost forgot.” His voice was breaking by this point, grabbing the one rose from under his wing. Placing it by his mother's gravestone. “I got you a rose. I remembered that you liked roses, they're your favourite flower. I could only get one though, or else Fifth Note would see them.” He sighed. “He's really rude, and mean, and always angry, and…. hurtful, he beats me up like the foals at school. And always comes back at night, not speaking clearly and can't walk straight.”

He didn't know what was happening, but he felt something. He felt something that he never really felt in a long time. Flash felt loved, comforted, and safe. There was something about just talking to his mother, it felt like she was talking back to him.

'Stay strong and brave, like your real father, Gladius Shield. And no matter what happens, always be my loving little colt, nice, bold and brave.’” Her last words rung inside the young colt's mind. “‘It's always easy to give up, but persevere. Those who give up, fail. But those fail at trying, succeed. I love you, Flash.’

Remember that night, his mother's last words, brought tears to his eyes. Before he knew it, tears were falling out of his sea blue eyes. Not knowing what to do or say, just balling like a newborn foal. He couldn't control it. Flash didn't know what to say, he couldn't speak and do anything else but cry. He was heartbroken. He felt empty.

“Why did you have to go? Why did you have to leave me? Please tell me this is a dream.” The colt whined.

Still no answer, all he hear was a whisper in his ear, like if the wind was carrying it saying, “Stay strong, my brave sweet colt. I love you, Flash.”

Flash bit his bottom lip, trying not to cry anymore. “I love you too….. mama.”

**END OF FLASHBACK**

The young guard woke up, finding a beautiful princess on top of him, resting. Twilight was laying her head on his muscular chest, peacefully sleeping. He didn't know what to do. He tried to raise his hoof without shaking, breathing heavily, tears coming to his eyes, he started petting Twilight's mane. It was not too long until he found himself wrapping his wings around the young alicorn.

“Please don't hate me. Please don't ever hate me, please.” The guard whispered. “I can't risk to loose somepony I care for so much, go again.”

What are you doing to yourself? Trying to believe in thing that aren't real. You're delusional, naive, gullible, and so much more. Flash told himself. You're the same pony you will always be, and you don't deserve her. Twilight deserves more, like a prince, not somepony like you. You are just a piece of trash. You're nothing.

More tears came to his eyes. “Why do I think you're in love with me?”

The young princess slide her hoof by her muzzle, still sleeping. Flash looked at her, trying to smile, but couldn't. There was so many emotions going through him. The young guard didn't know how to feel. Flash was getting a feeling that he got when he was a lot when he was younger. Fear. He felt so much fear, he was so afraid. He wanted to be with the young princess so bad and protect her, but on the other hoof, he didn't want to hurt her.

His eyes watered even more. I'm not a murderer. I'm not a murderer. I'm not a murderer! Flash kept repeating over and over, mentally.

“Can you promise me one thing, Princess?” He asked quietly, running his hoof through her soft mane. “Don't ever forget me, please? I am in love with you so much, and I will always feel the same way. No matter what.”

Tears slowly started streaming down his face.

Stop being a cry baby! Stand up and be a stallion! He tried telling himself. But Flash didn't listen to himself. He felt so alone, and Twilight was the one who cared for him the most, at the moment. He took a deep breath. I can never tell her my past, she'll hate me for the rest of my life. In the moment, he had an idea. He knew that he would probably regret it, but wanted to do it anyway. Carefully leaning down, not wanting to wake the young princess. Breathing in her scent hypnotized him, but quickly Flash planted a gentle kiss on top of her forehead.

Flash whispered, while his voice cracked a bit. “I love you, my Princess. Please, don't ever leave.”

Without you, I have Nightmares.

Author's Note:

Sorry for such the wait and not answering much of your questions. I want to answer them just by the time i get to them it is like a week or two weeks old, and I don't want to scared or creep anyone out by answering them then. So I will try my best with answering your questions. But sorry for all this, but thanks for reading. :twilightsmile:

(P.S. The story is mostly going to reveal Flash's past, and why he is like this today. So it is mostly about Flash so yeah. Just a little FYI. :pinkiehappy:

Comments ( 7 )
Comment posted by Patata1312 deleted Oct 13th, 2022

7359287 Thank you very much. :twilightsmile: And I will try to work on that more. But thank you.

So the stealing Cutie Mark thing was also a nightmare he had.

7360837 No, it wasn't. Between the parts of the building crashing and him waking up was the nightmare.

This chapter made me cry.... And I'm a boy.
Please, Please, Please update soon.

Login or register to comment