• Published 5th Jan 2016
  • 1,151 Views, 32 Comments

MLP: Darkest Night - kurusagi16



It's been four months since Fluttershy returned from Aestas, and since Discord discovered his true feelings for her. If only she knew it too. But as trouble starts brewing once more in Aestas, it'll take some old and new friends to stop it.

  • ...
6
 32
 1,151

Chapter 17

Chapter 17




As the group headed back to the castle (again), Aestas little by little began to restore itself. The twisted dark structures shrunk back, like shadows running from the light, and the Garden of Shadows returned to its own dormant-like state. When they reached the village, the houses were still in need of repair, but the crystals that had trapped the Nightmares had disappeared, and the Nightmares were waking up. At first, they were happy that the Tenebris appeared to be gone and that all was right again, until they saw Twilight, Sunset, and Starlight gently levitating Queen Amalthea's dead body with them. The Nightmares began to crowd around, while also making a path for the group. Some remained silent, too shocked to speak. Some lowered their heads somberly, and with respect. And some even wept. Their great queen was gone. Who would rule over them and protect them now?

Eve stole a few glances, her insides twisting around with sorrow at seeing her fellow Nightmares like this. She also couldn't believe it when she saw Starla, the mare who always seemed to mean and petty (especially toward Eve), was trying to hold back her own tears with little success. Eve looked down at the ground, no longer able to look at the Nightmares in their faces anymore. Fluttershy had told her it wasn't her fault, but right now, it looked to her like it was entirely her fault. She'd allowed the Tenebris to use her, helped their escape, and it was because of her that the queen decided to save her from Nightshade's fatal blow. A storm of emotions swirled around inside of Eve, as she wished she could undo everything. Undo it all and fix her mistakes.

When they finally entered the castle, Princess Luna appeared through a portal, looking very concerned.

"Is everypony alright? I felt the shield on the portal being lifted and..." Luna stopped when she saw Amalthea. Twilight and the others explained what had happened. When they finished, Luna's frown deepened and she let out a sad sigh.

"This is most troubling." she said. "With the Tenebris and their king freed, they could be anywhere." Luna stepped toward Amalthea and placed a hoof on her shoulder. "Amalthea has fought hard and valiantly, I'll see to it myself that she's properly laid to rest."

"But what about the Nightmares?" asked Twilight. "What happens to them?"

"Until a worthy ruler is found, I shall rule in Amalthea's place. I'll tell my sister of the situation as soon as possible."

As the group headed toward the throne room to head back home, Eve stayed behind. Fluttershy and Twilight noticed this, and both stopped momentarily.

"You go on ahead, I'll talk to Eve." said Twilight. Fluttershy gave a nod and continued following the others. Twilight slowly approached Eve and asked gently, "Eve, are you okay?" Eve looked up at Twilight, her face looked tired and miserable from all the crying she'd been doing along the way back.

"Twilight..." Eve choked out. "I'm sorry. For everything."

"I know."

"No! You don't know! You don't know how it feels, knowing that you're responsible for causing so much destruction, for endangering everypony, for getting somepony killed! You don't know anything at all!!" Twilight had listened calmly to Eve as she continued to sob, letting out all her sadness and grief.

"You're right, I don't know exactly what you're feeling. But I do know that if I was in your position, if I caused something so horrible to happen that it endangered my friends or even hurt my dear mentor, I wouldn't know how to live with myself." Twilight looked Eve right in the eye, giving her a look of sympathy. "But that's okay." Eve's vision started to blur as she tried to look through her tears.

"How can it be okay?!" demanded Eve. "How can it ever be okay?!"

"Because you're not alone. You've got me, Fluttershy, Sunset, Starlight, even Discord here to get you through it. We'll do everything we can to make sure that the Tenebris won't get away with what they did, and seal them away for good." Eve rubbed her now warm cheeks, wondering why. Why was she still being so nice to her?

"Why are you being so nice to me?" she asked.

"Because we're friends, and that's what friends do." answered Twilight.

"Then I guess that makes me a lousy friend. I do nothing but bring trouble and mess everything up."

"That's not true! You helped us when we were under the Tenebris' spells, you helped us free Queen Amalthea and go to stop the Tenebris and their plan, and you managed to send them away in fear. You've done everything you could to help us and to fix your mistakes. You're anything but a lousy friend."

"Twilight..." Eve was at a loss for words. She felt a teeny bit better, but still sad nonetheless. "...Thank you, you better hurry to the others, they'll be wondering what's keeping you."

"Alright, just know, if there's anything you need or if you just want to talk, all you have to do is send word and we'll be here before you know it." said Twilight warmly.

"And Twilight."

"Yes?"

"If you don't mind, I think I might head to Equestria again soon. You know, to get away from it all and give me some time to think about things." Twilight gave an understanding smile.

"Of course." And with that, Twilight hurried down the corridor and to the throne room, looking over her shoulder to see Eve waving goodbye, with a very, very slight smile on her face.


After everything had been explained when the group got back, everypony felt exhausted, and wanted nothing more than to rest their weary bodies and minds. A few days passed, and life seemed to continue on as normal...well, as normal as it could possibly get. Fluttershy was working on a special care package she planned to send to Eve, after hearing that she planned to come to Equestria for a little while, she wanted to welcome her old friend as well as cheer her up and help her get through the motions. She'd already filled it with fresh baked goodies (from Pinkie Pie), some beauty care products (from Rarity), some ripe apples (from Applejack), a couple of books and a comic (from Twilight and Spike), a couple tickets to a Wonderbolts show (from Rainbow Dash), and a comfy quilt for her and Lumen (which Fluttershy managed to stitch together). It all looked nice, and was sure to help Eve feel better. All that was left was to take it down to Twilight's castle and wait for Eve to arrive.

But just as she headed out the door, Discord appeared in Fluttershy's path. He looked a little...nervous.

"Good day, Discord." said Fluttershy brightly.

"Good day, Fluttershy." Discord replied. "How are things?"

"Everything's fine. I was just on my way to Twilight's to deliver this care package to Eve."

"Would you mind if...I accompany you?" Fluttershy blinked.

"I don't see why not." she said. Just like that, the two of them were walking side by side down the dirt pathway into Ponyville. Fluttershy was a bit worried about Discord as they walked, noticing how quiet he seemed to be. 'I can't blame him.' she thought. 'Everypony has been through so much recently.' Then, Discord finally spoke.

"Fluttershy?"

"Yes?"

"...There's something I've been meaning to tell you...for a while now."

"What is it?"

"I...I kinda, sorta..." Discord scrunched his face, concentrating on getting it out. "Iloveyou!" he said really fast. He looked down at Fluttershy wondering what her reaction would be. First she blushed, then she looked down at the ground as she walked.

"I see." she said, not sure of what else to say.

"I'd think you'd be more surprised to hear my big confession." said Discord, surprised that Fluttershy didn't seem as shocked as he expected her to be.

"I think deep down I could tell, that you liked me. You always got jealous and protective, but I didn't think that it was possible. I didn't think that we were anything more than friends." she said.

"I still consider you my friend." said Discord. "I mean, I only found out about these feelings after the first time we got back from Aestas. After that, I was trying to find a way to tell you."

"Then, in the illusion, with that fake me..."

"That was mostly the Tenebris' doing. But...he did take advantage of my, feelings toward you. But in honesty, I've never really experienced love before. I'm not exactly sure where to go from here." A silence fell between them, until Fluttershy rested a hoof on Discord's paw and said sweetly, "Why don't we take things slowly, and see where it goes from there? Whatever happens, happens, and we face it together. As friends." Discord's face curved into a smile.

"Sounds like and excellent plan to me." he said.

"I'm glad you told me." said Fluttershy. "Though, I wish you'd told me sooner."

"What did you expect? I'd been trying to find an opening, but every time something seemed to be stopping me from telling you."

"Or maybe you were just too afraid." Fluttershy teased. Discord's face went a light red and he looked away. He and Fluttershy continued their joking banter and talked along the way to Twilight's castle, each wondering and seeing what laid in store for them next.


Eve had collected all her things, and was ready to head over to Equestria, but nod before she said her farewells to Princess Luna. Over the past few days, Luna had been going back and forth between Aestas and the other world, making sure that the Nightmares were recovering from their ordeal. Eve herself was still in the process of overcoming her own ordeals. She was beginning to come to grips with everything, especially Queen Amalthea's death. When she approached the large throne room doors, Eve solemnly entered and bowed low to the princess.

"Your highness, I wanted to say good bye before I take my leave." she said. Luna went toward her and motioned for her to rise.

"I never got a chance to properly thank you Eve, for dispelling the Tenebris and their control on Aestas. I'm sure that Amalthea would be very proud of you." said Luna. Eve looked down.

"I doubt that." she sighed.

"Moonlight Eve, you mustn't forget that the Tenebris are crafty beings. They've manipulated not only you, but me as well. Making both of do things that we regret." Luna's gaze became momentarily distant before she continued. "The point is, that you should not burden yourself with all the blame of what has transpired. From what Twilight and the other have told me, it seems Amalthea had a choice. She could've let you die and held off the power from the seal a little linger, or she could've saved you and risk her own life in the process. She knew what was at stake and accepted the consequences."

"But why? Why did she save me?"

"I cannot tell you the exact reason behind Amalthea's choice, but I can tell that she saw something in you worth saving. You should be grateful."

"I am! I am grateful, but..." Luna brushed her wing on Eve's shoulder.

"There's nothing more you need to say. For now, think over what has transpired. When you feel that you're ready, I'd like your assistance in tracking down the Tenebris, that is if you wish to help." Eve gave a firm nod.

"I will. Whatever you need me to do, I'll do it." 'For the queen...for my friends...' Luna smiled.

"I shall look forward to seeing you again then, Moonlight Eve." she said. A portal opened up, Eve looked back at Luna as she went through it and said softly, "See you soon."


King Morpheus could feel himself loosing his strength. This place he was in. It wasn't like Aestas, but he could sense the many dreamers that awaited him. Dreamers with which he could feast upon till he was satisfied. Nightshade appeared at his side.

"Nightshade, report." he hissed.

"The perimeter has been secured, and troops have been sent out to collect more power for you."

"Excellent. That Nightmare may have caused a minor set back, but with a little time, I shall return to my former glory and conquer this pitiful realm." Nightshade was dismissed, and sent to over see the other preparations. Yet on the way, he found his mind strangely drifting to the Nightmare, Moonlight Eve. In his chest, he felt a foreign emotion. He felt...guilt. Guilt? Why would he feel guilt? He shook his head and banished those thoughts from his mind.

"Hmph! No use thinking about worthless feelings, especially toward Nightmares. Right now, there are other things that are worth my time." Despite his words though, he still imagined Eve, at the very back of his mind, and the short but sweet times they'd spent together.

Author's Note:

Took me a while, but finally reached the ending. I hope it doesn't suck but, as the story progressed, I kinda got bored and wanted to be over and done with it. Hence, why it'll take a while before you see the final sequel to my trilogy. Until then, thank you very much for reading, and I promise to try and write more better written stories.

Comments ( 5 )

Yet on the way, he found his mind strangely drifting to the Nightmare, Moonlight Eve. In his chest, he felt a foreign emotion. He felt...guilt. Guilt? Why would he feel guilt? He shook his head and banished those thoughts from his mind.

Nightshade x Eve! I don't even know if you're going there but... d'aww :twilightsmile: ...And I bet Eve becomes the new queen, right?
But yay! Discord confessed! :yay:
Liked this chapter a lot, especially that moment between Twilight and Eve, can't wait for the next chapter

The Twin

I liked the story a lot. :pinkiehappy:

Just remember to take it slow and have fun with it, don't make yourself write if you don't want to. The last thing anypony wants is for you to not have fun writing your story. :pinkiehappy:

That being said I hope I get to read the last part soon. :twilightsheepish:

7218979

I hope so too, but first, I'll need to wait until I gain enough inspiration for it first. Then, I can put together a great story. I hope you enjoy some of my other works as well!

7219121
The Twin

Believe me I still got a couple of your stories on my read later list.

Cute, absolutely cute:twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment