• Published 5th Jan 2016
  • 1,152 Views, 32 Comments

MLP: Darkest Night - kurusagi16



It's been four months since Fluttershy returned from Aestas, and since Discord discovered his true feelings for her. If only she knew it too. But as trouble starts brewing once more in Aestas, it'll take some old and new friends to stop it.

  • ...
6
 32
 1,152

Chapter 10

Chapter 10



"Maybe we should rest for a bit." said Nightshade. "You look tired." Eve shook her head.

"No! We need to keep going. The castle's just a little bit farther. I can feel it." she said.

"Come on. Be reasonable. You look exhausted, and I don't think you'll be of much use to anypony if you're about ready to collapse."

"Sigh! Okay. But just for a few minutes!" The two stopped, sitting themselves onto the ground. Relaxing their tired limbs from all that trotting.

"I'm sorry you got dragged into this whole mess." said Eve, feeling responsible for him ending up here somehow.

"There's no need to be sorry." said Nightshade "Besides, you look like you could use all the help you can get."

"Yeah. I think I'm pretty much hopeless on my own."

"So, those friends of yours, what are they like?" Eve gave him a curious look, Nightshade looked away.

"Sorry. I shouldn't have asked such a straightforward question. I was just curious, forget I said anything. You don't need to tell me." he said.

"No, no. There's no need to be ashamed of a question." said Eve. She didn't see Nightshade's smirk. The conversation was steering in his favor. "My friends, well, only two or three of them are my friends."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. I've never really been very social with the other Nightmares. So, I had only one friend, a dreamer named Fluttershy."

"The pegasus who got pulled in with me?"

"That's the one. Because I had no pony else, I got selfish and wanted all of her attention for myself. But, Princess Twilight and Fluttershy helped show me the bond between friends, and were willing to forgive me and accepted me as a friend."

"They sound delightful." Eve smiled warmly at the thought and nodded.

"They are. I hope they're okay." she said.

"Come on, what could happen?" asked Nightshade. "I'm sure they're fine and are hurrying to you right now to find you."

"I suppose you're right."

"Though, if you don't mind me saying, I wonder if your friends really forgave you." Eve was confused by this.

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"It's just that, can somepony completely forgive another after what they've done? Surely they'll never forget it, and will keep it mind the next time a similar event arises." Eve was silent. What could she say to that.

"Then again, I wasn't there. So I wouldn't know the situation. But, if it was something really really really bad, then it would be nearly impossible for me to forgive them." said Nightshade. "I might make the attempt sure, but that doesn't change what they did. Now does it?" Eve's throat felt dry and cracked, she averted her eyes from Nightshade.

"I am speaking hypothetically of course. I'm sure your friends forgive you regardless." Nightshade hid a smile as he saw that it had worked, he'd wormed doubt into the Nightmare. And all that was left was to work it into her core. To make her mistrust her dear sweet friends completely. It would make her suffering all the better.

"What about you?" Nightshade shifted his attention back to Eve when she spoke.

"Huh?" he said.

"What about you? What are your friends like?"

"I don't really have friends...per say, more acquaintances. Only one of them I have a bit of respect for, the other two are annoying beyond all definition."

"They can't be that bad."

"They are, trust me. One is a depressed pessimist, and the other is an obnoxious weirdo. Though I can't discount his loyalty to me I suppose."

"What about the friend, er acquaintance that you kind of respect?"

"He helps keep the other two in check when I'm not around. He gets the job done, and doesn't disregard the established boundaries." Nightshade stopped himself from saying anymore. Why did he say all that? What possessed him to talk to the Nightmare like that? He looked at Eve, as she smiled happily at him. No, she was smiling because...she was happy for him.

"They must be nice ponies, in their own way. I'd like to meet them." said Eve.

"Oh, you will eventually." said Nightshade. 'You will.' Eve looked up into the sky, unable to tell how late it was.

"We should keep moving." she said. "We'll find a place to camp for a bit and then move on from there."

"Lead the way." said Nightshade."


Pseudea and Moros crept around the camp of Twilight, Fluttershy and Discord.

"What are you two up to?" Pseudea jumped and almost screamed from fright by Erebus' sudden appearance. Moros remained indifferent.

"Oh. Hello Erebus. When did you get here?" asked Moros.

"That's not of consequence, what is, is what you two are doing with those three over there."

"If you must know Erebus, we're observing them, getting a good idea of how to get into their heads. You know how powerful my lies can be and Moros' doom can bring down a dreamer. But in order for this go as smoothly as Master Nightshade requires, we need to try and get inside the dreamers' heads." said Pseudea. A smug smile formed when he could see that Erebus was mildly impressed with their plan.

"You may continue with your plan." said Erebus. "But don't get too caught up and forget our mission." Pseueda bowed his head.

"I would never lose sight of a mission. Especially one issued by Master Nightshade." he said. Erebus vanished in smoke, and the two Tenebris went back to spying on the camp. "Now then, what sort of strife should we cause?" They'd seen the Alicorn, Twilight, and the...other one, Discord, argue with one another until the Pegasus showed up to smooth things over. Nightshade had already made it clear to split the dreamers up, which wouldn't be too difficult for the first two dreamers, but the third one was a different story. She didn't display any reason or traits that would make her dislike-able in the eyes of her friends.

"How do we handle the Pegasus?" asked Pseudea to himself. Moros said nothing. Pseudea rolled his eyes, wishing that his partner would help contribute some ideas. Then, something caught his eye. He couldn't believe it at first, but he could see it.

"Well I'll be." he said. He watched Discord, and noticed all the little gestures, the passing glances, and the words he used. He was in love, with the little Pegasus. But the Pegasus seemed to be misreading the signs. Could it be a one sided love? "Oh, how lovely!" Finally, something he could use to break them down. But of course, he needed to get closer to hear more of the conversation.

"And that's how Twilight and I ended up separated from the others." said Discord.

"How awful." said Fluttershy. Her eyes shined with concern for her friends. "Nothing else happened to you two, right?" Discord chuckled.

"You're concern is charming my dear, but no. We made it out unscathed, though I'm not sure about those other three."

"Starlight and Sunset are supposed to really powerful unicorns, according to Twilight, but Eve. She must be so lost and alone right now." Discord dug his talon into the ground , clawing the surface.

"She was able to do just fine in the Garden of Shadows before, right? I'm sure she's doing well on her own."

"Even if she knows her way or not, how can Eve defend herself? What'll happen to her if...if..." Fluttershy couldn't bring herself to say it.

"You seem to care a lot for that Nightmare." Discord said bitterly. Fluttershy could hear the twinge of jealousy on his tongue and knew she had to quell it.

"Eve is my friend, like you and Twilight, and everypony else back home. If you were in a similar position as her, I'd still be worried. I'd be worried if anything were to happen to any of you." Discord's tension slacked. Fluttershy sighed.

"I wish you wouldn't get so jealous of my friends." she said. "I can't understand why you get jealous in the first place. I mean, I could with Treehugger and Eve when she was Dream Catcher, but this is...why are you so jealous?" Discord didn't say a word, avoiding looking into Fluttershy's face, lest the truth slipped out. Sure, he'd been wanting to tell her, but now wasn't a good time. Fluttershy gave an exasperated sigh.

"If you don't want to tell me, that's fine. But when you're ready to come out and say it, I'll be ready to listen. She took hold of his lion paw and locked onto his gaze. "I want you to move past this. Otherwise, it'll continue to interfere with our friendship." Fluttershy trotted away, to leave Discord alone with his thoughts. Discord propped his chin in his talons, and thought over what she'd said.

"Hmm...." said Pseudea, having listened to the conversation. "This just might work out. Oh yes. Nothing like a lover's quarrel to really mic things up. And that, Discord fellow, is perfect for what I have in mind."