• Published 5th Jan 2016
  • 1,150 Views, 32 Comments

MLP: Darkest Night - kurusagi16



It's been four months since Fluttershy returned from Aestas, and since Discord discovered his true feelings for her. If only she knew it too. But as trouble starts brewing once more in Aestas, it'll take some old and new friends to stop it.

  • ...
6
 32
 1,150

Chapter 3

Chapter 3




The tea parties at Fluttershy's cottage were never of the grand, high society kind, rather, they were peaceful little moments between two good friends. Well, as peaceful as you can get when you have Discord as your guest. The tea party had started out nicely, the two conversing as they ate tea cakes and cucumber sandwiches with their tea. Fluttershy had told him about the arrival of Sunset Shimmer, which he showed little interest in, making a snide remark on how now there'd be two Twilight Sparkles running around, when one was enough. Fluttershy swiftly scolded him, telling him not to be so rude when Sunset seemed like a nice pony who just wanted to fit in. Discord had rolled his eyes and bit into one of the sandwiches. At some point, Fluttershy found her mind start to drift to other things, mostly concerning Eve. Tonight was Sunset's welcoming party, and it seemed a shame not to invite her Nightmare friend, but she didn't want to tell her last minute, especially with all the work Eve had to do in the castle.

"Something troubling you my dear?" Fluttershy's head raised, Discord had noticed how she seemed to be spacing in and out through their tea.

"Oh,um, no. It's nothing really, you don't have to worry about me." she said anxiously, not wanting to bother Discord with any of her troubles or worries.

"Come now, whatever it is, you can always tell me. We are friends afters all." Fluttershy relaxed her shoulders a little, taking in a quick breath as she said what was on her mind.

"Well, it's about Eve." At the mention of her name, Discord's whole body stiffened. He nearly spit out the tea he'd been drinking but managed to get it down in a hard swallow. His eyes narrowed a fraction and his snaggletooth jutted out as he frowned. Discord and Eve hadn't really gotten along, and what happened in Aestas didn't do anything to help improve the matter, or at least in Discord's case. Eve had no problem anymore with Fluttershy's friends, and had accepted her having more than one. While Discord showed his distaste for her every chance he got, wanting to make it clear to everypony that he hadn't forgotten nor forgiven what Eve had done. Fluttershy looked down into her teacup, and continued talking.

"I feel bad that she'll be missing Sunset's party tonight, and I wish she could come. But she has work and responsibilities that need to be done, and I don't want to make her feel left out." said Fluttershy morosely.

"Then simply don't tell her." said Discord, making it sound like the obvious solution. "Just go out and have fun with the rest of your friends. It's not like there won't be any other occasions that she'll miss out on."

"I guess, but I'd feel guilty having so much fun without her and not telling her about it. Maybe I should just stay at home tonight."

"Nonsense Fluttershy! You shouldn't worry about upsetting that pony by going out and enjoying yourself. Though I hate to say this, but she'd probably want you to have fun and enjoy the evening." Fluttershy's eyes looked back at her own reflection, still a little unsure about going. All her other friends would be there, and Twilight wanted them to try and make Sunset Shimmer feel right at home during her stay. 'I'm sure Eve would understand, but how can I know that without accidentally hurting her feelings and making her feel left out?' Discord gave an exasperated sigh.

"Why don't I accompany you to the party in her stead, would that make you feel better?" he asked.

"I guess." Fluttershy said quietly.

"Then it's settled." Discord said. "Tonight, the two of us will go out and have a good time, as friends of course." He said the last part a little too quickly, sipping his tea to try and cover it up. A nervous look came into his eye as he tried to get out something else he was trying to say.

"There's something else I wanted to tell you." he said.

"What is it?"

"I wanted to tell you...that I love, y-your tea. Really, this brew is some of your best so far."

"It's nothing special really." Fluttershy said modestly. Discord cracked nervous smile, trying to drink from his already empty cup. He looked down and quickly refilled it, hoping that Fluttershy hadn't noticed his behavior, and if she did, that she didn't give it too much thought. 'Smooth, real smooth.' Discord thought to himself. 'Just my luck that I choke just as I'm about to tell her.' He'd have to try again later, maybe at the party, that would provide the perfect opportunity to tell her. And if worse comes to wear, the loud music might drown out whatever ridiculous thing that could spill out of his mouth and avoid making himself look like a fool in front of Fluttershy. This time for sure, he'd tell her. And there'd be no interruptions this time!


Sunset Shimmer was nothing but a bundle of nerves as she rode the Friendship Express with Twilight to Canterlot. She was going to the castle to see her old mentor, and apologize for how she abandoned her studies and ran away to the other world. What would she say? 'Hello Princess Celestia, I'm sorry I ran away and made plans to take over Equestria? Yeah, that's really going to put her in a good mood.' she thought with a wince. Nothing awkward about that at all. She'd insisted to Twilight to go to Canterlot to talk things out with Princess Celestia once and for all. Only now was she starting to regret doing it only on the second day since coming back to Equestria. Maybe she should have waited a little longer.

"Are you okay?" asked Twilight, seeing how distressed Sunset Shimmer was.

"I'm fine, just nervous."

"Don't be, I told Princess Celestia about how you've been learning about friendship at Canterlot High, and she seemed really pleased to hear how well you've been doing."

"But what am I supposed to say to her? I mean, we haven't talked or seen each other in a while, so how do I address her?"

"You're almost as bad as me when I get stressed and worried." Sunset let out a small giggle and seemed more at ease.

"Fair enough, maybe I am overreacting a little."

"Just remember, she's still the same Celestia who took you under her wing as her student."

"Thanks Twilight." Sunset said. "You're a good friend."

"I gotta be if I ended up being the princess of it." Twilight said, in an almost joking manner.



When they arrived in Canterlot, it was just as Sunset Shimmer remembered. The same streets, the same buildings (though a few new ones had popped up). And the castle, it was like she never left. Everything was in its familiar place, with the same feel and smells about it, that left Sunset at ease. In her mind, she could clearly picture Celestia welcoming her back warmly with open hooves, and banishing all the silly worries she'd had. 'Twilight's told me how well you've been progressing, I'm quite proud of you Sunset Shimmer.' Sunset got an almost dreamy look in her eye as she thought of her mentor's praise. Not holding onto the baggage of what she'd done in the past. Call her a hopeless optimist, but as she trotted down the waxed castle floors, she became more confident about seeing the princess. As they headed in search of Princess Celestia, they ran into Princess Luna in the foyer.

"Ah, Twilight Sparkle, what brings you here?"

"We're looking for Princess Celestia, have you seen her?"

"I'm terribly sorry, but my sister is away on business in Maretonia, and won't be back for a while." Sunset felt disappointed, just as she was staring to relax and get the nerve to talk to her, Princess Celestia happens to be away. Maybe it was for the best, it'd give her more time to better compose herself and figure out what to say to her.

"Oh, well, thank you for telling us princess." said Twilight with a quick bow of her head. "So sorry to have bothered you."

"It's no bother, I'm happy to help. But if you don't mind my asking, what business do you have with Celestia?"

"It's nothing, it can wait until she gets back." said Sunset Shimmer, cutting into the conversation. She cracked a nervous smile. Luna looked from her to Twilight before saying, "I'll inform my sister when she gets back that you wanted to speak with her. Good day to you both."

"Good day Princess Luna." said the girls in unison. When Luna was out of sight, Sunset Shimmer sighed and hung her head.

"I guess I wasn't meant to see her today." she said.

"Don't say that! It's just a coincidence, that's all." 'Yeah, some coincidence.' Sunset thought to herself.

"Why don't we head back? We wouldn't want you to miss your own party after all."

"Alright, I guess."

"Hey, cheer up, it wasn't a total bust. I mean, you go to see the castle and your old town again. So it's not too bad." Sunset could see that Twilight was trying to help, but her efforts weren't really doing anything to improve upon her mood. If anything, they only made her visit feel like even more of a waste. But she put on a smile, and did her best not to appear depressed.

"I can't wait for you to meet some of the ponies me and Pinkie invited. This'll be great!" Sunset just smiled and nodded, agreeing with Twilight. With any luck, the party would help to take her mind off of things.

Author's Note:

I hope I'm writing Sunset right! I added this one last peaceful chapter to help build the characters before I turn up the heat. I'll bring the next action packed chapter up.