• Published 21st Aug 2015
  • 826 Views, 163 Comments

Daring-Do and the Leaf in the Wind - Sylvian



Daring-Do, along with her friend Leaf Wind, are assigned a mission by Princess Luna. What they find may change Equestria's past and future. And, perhaps, their relationship.

  • ...
1
 163
 826

Epilogue: Brave New World

Epilogue: Brave New World

Jinsong decides that, much like Saddle Arabian days, he rather hates the nights. Perhaps, if it were possible, he hates them more. But, where he is currently hiding, and shivering, beneath both Shiro’s wing and the cloak that he is using the hide the wings, Jinsong cannot find much more complaints outside of the fact that it is too cold.

“It is not that cold,” Shiro comments, his breath misting in the early morning air. “It is quite exhilarating, really.”

“S...says the pony who didn’t want to leave the temple,” Jin retorts, peeking his head out from under the wing to glare at his friend.

“Too late to turn back now,” Shiro admits, “but we should be reaching the area Daring spoke to us about soon. Perhaps there, we shall find the answers we need.”

“That you need, Shiro,” Jin mutters, snuggling down into his friend’s side again. “I still think we should have gone to that city she told us about… canter… what was it?”

“Canterlot,” Shiro corrects, “the seat of power for the Kingdom of Equestria, as she explains it.”

“Well, why didn’t we go there?” Jin demands grumply. “She made it sound like it’d be warm and comfortable there.”

“Because, I am not ready to step into the greater world,” Shiro replies, starting forward again towards the large mountain range that he had been eying for a few minutes. “And I am not ready to speak to the… Princess that is in charge there. No matter how much Daring explained that she could help with our quest.”

“And you think Librarian will be of more help?” Jin sighs.

“Yes,” Shiro states simply, his tone indicating he is done discussing this. Jin lets it rest, for the time being at least, and contents himself with keeping warm against Shiro’s side. He really isn’t built for this cold, and was surprised he had agreed to come here after what Daring had told him.

But then, she had promised, with a smirk, to offer him a nice warm fluffy blanket to hide in for a month next time they saw each other, and Jin was more than willing to take her up on that offer after experiencing this bone-shattering cold. Being so close to dawn, it really is also the coldest part of the night, the sand having relinquished what warmth they had stored up from the previous day, and the sun not having risen to renew it. All and all, Jin figures if he ever saw hell it would look, and feel, like this place.

Then, suddenly, it is no longer as cold.

Peeking his head out from under the wing again, Jin can see trees! And grass, and feel a soft comforting breeze!

Jin wiggles his way out from under the wing, and takes flight, stretching his wings a little before landing between Shiro’s and looking around with a smile.

“Well, this place looks the same,” Jin comments slowly before taking a deep breath. “Smells the same, too.” He then blinks as he notices eyes, lots of eyes, glowing from the bushes that line the pathway. “Hey… uhm, Shiro. We’re being watched.”

“I know,” Shiro replies, continuing down the pathway casually. “It is Life’s pets.”

“Perhaps we should pick up the pace?” Jin asks, a little nervous at the multitude of creatures that he knows must be lurking just out of sight. “I mean, we really should let Librarian know we’re here…”

“He already knows,” Shiro says. “Besides, he is a patient creature.”

“But are his pets?” Jin whispers. Shiro does not grace him with an answer, instead he continues down the pathway silently.

The grounds are, as he has stated earlier, much like Jin remembered. The very air itself radiating a feeling of life and vitality that makes him feel as if thousands of years fall off of his shoulders. It is a feeling he has missed, the powerful presence of virtuous magic, and despite all the eyes looking at him he finds himself laying down against Shiro’s neck and sighing contently, closing his eyes and relaxing. Sadly, his relaxation is short lived, as the sound of the ancient doors opening before them causes Jin to sit back up and look around his friend’s neck.

Before them stands the imposing sand-colored visage of the Librarian, his glowing eyes looking both of them over with a studious expression as if he is studying them like one of his books. For a long moment, Jin is afraid he will not remember them, only to have those fears quickly swept away as the construct smiles to them as best he can.

“Lord Shiro, Lord Jinsong,” Librarian greets the two, his echoing voice easily reaches the two as they mount the steps, its tone warming Jin more than the air ever could. “I offer you greetings, my friends, for it has been far too long since last you graced my mother’s halls with your presence.”

Shiro suddenly starts forward faster, making Jin hop off his back and glide to the steps. Looking up at his friend, he is surprised to not only see the normally stoic alicorn of war smiling, but also embracing the Librarian in a warm hug. Librarian is returning it, carefully though as he has rather sharp claws.

“Librarian, my friend,” Shiro declares, happiness clear in his voice. “By the Cosmos, it is good to see you again. How have you been?”

“I have been good, Shiro,” Librarian replies with a nod. “I have kept busy reading, and tending to my mother’s garden and other children in her absence.” He then releases Shiro from the hug and steps back, gesturing with one taloned hand for them to follow. “But, come, there is much to discuss.” He then turns and heads into the library.

Shrio starts after him, and Jin is forced to take flight again and land on his friend’s back, taking his usual perch along his friend’s neck and resting his own head on top of Shiro’s. As they enter the library Jin feels a presence, ancient and yet young at the same time, all around them. It is familiar, for he would know the presence of Life anywhere, but at the same time he does not know this presence. Before he can continue to puzzle it out, though, Shiro speaks up.

“And what do we need to discuss, old friend?” Shiro’s tone is lighter than he it had been earlier, lighter than he had been for a thousand or more years.

“There is a darkness coming,” Librarian replies, his echoing voice serious. “A darkness that I have felt rising for some time, but paid no mind to.” He pauses long enough to allow the other two to come abreast of him, one eye looking at Shiro then Jin. “I know you two can feel it as well. Perhaps not consciously, but a part of you has felt the danger and has risen address it.” He then continues forward, deeper in the library. “Much like Life has risen to address this new threat.”

“I have felt something has been off for a while now,” Shiro admits, an ear flicking in annoyance at himself, “but like you I had written it off. Especially with what happened to the city we were living in, I figured it was just… residual energy from the fall.” He then blinks as his brain registers the last part of what Librarian had said. “And Life has felt it as well? Does this mean a new one has risen?”

“In a way,” Librarian starts, his tone lending a worried quality to his expression. “I am sure any questions you have about her, though, will be answered later.” He turns around a corner and leads them towards the back of the building. “For now, understand that with this rising darkness, the Virtues are now rising, returning to us. Both of you,” He looks to Jin who has been silent the entire time, and then at Shiro, “both of you will be needed in the coming months. As will all who shall feel the call of the Cosmos, and shall be drawn to aiding the Virtues.”

“And how do you know this?” Jin asks with a raised eyebrow. “Not that I doubt you, Librarian, but you were always more of a solid facts kind of creature.”

“Life told me,” Librarian explains calmly as they reach a pair of large doors with Life’s sigel on their faces. “Be not mistaken, both of you have an important part to play in the future.”

“And, what exactly has Life told you?” Shiro asks, raising an eyebrow.

Instead of answering, Librarian calmly turns and runs a clawed digit down the middle of the doors the massive locks within opening with resounding clicks. The doors swing open, and a bright light spills forth, as well as a voice.

“I have told him,” the voice, melodic and haunting, answers as the doors swing wide. “That you and my sister have important roles to play, in the coming days.” Shiro shields his eyes with one arm, his jaw slack. “But most importantly; my sister’s student. She has a far more important role to play, more than even she knows….”

Author's Note:

And that is it. There is no more for this story!

It's been one hell of a ride with you all, and I am... actually truly thankful that others read this story and enjoyed it. I never would have made it past the first few chapters without my readers, and for that I think you all.

That said, this is not the end! No! For there is more yet to come! Something slightly more action packed, or at the very least less "I love you" and more actual world shattering stuff going on! Or city shattering, depends on how you look at it.

In any event, I'll see you all in the next story! Until then, hope you enjoyed this little adventure.

~Sylvian

Comments ( 29 )

Good ending to a awesome story.

Really looking forward to seeing where this goes.

6650475

Thanks! I am excited to show you all where it is going to go myself, as I am sure my writing partner/co-conspirator is just as excited!

Needless to say, there is a reason Shiro and Jin are being prodded towards Canterlot, which will be explored a little later. Right after I finish the interlude and final Chapter of Roan xD

An awesome ending to this story man, haha! I loved it a lot, nice job on this entire thing!
Whew... what a ride.

You might want to change the tag to Completed though :P

Whooo!

This was such a good story! :pinkiehappy:

That ending though. You made it so that this story could lead to something bigger down the road and I like it!

Just a thought, but you could always put your work into some groups to possibly gain more readers. :scootangel:

I eagerly look forward to a sequel to all of this. :twilightsmile:

6658765

I have thought about adding this story to other groups, but I am... hesitant, because it is tied in quite closely with Witching Hour's stuff. Not to mention, my next story, which will be tied to this one as well Witching Hour's stories too, will be set quite deeply in Calm's Wonderverse.

And thanks, it was quite an experience to write this story, i am glad it paid off! Especially because this is my first real novel length story!

And, yes, there are going to be some big things coming, I wonder what they could be. :trollestia:

6659995 I guess that means I should look at Witching Hour's stuff to. :twilightsmile:

Especially because this is my first real novel length story!

Congratulations! I bet your next story will be just as long if not longer.

My guess to your big plans are my usually guesses for any story. Fighting, epic plot/ story telling, and above all else: explosions. :rainbowdetermined2:

6661382

Witching Hour

I would read her stuff! She is really good at writing, and is also my editor and writing partner, so :3

Also, yeah I have some big plans, but the next story (While it will be long) isn't going to be all fighting or action oriented, though it should be fun none-the-less.

6886613

I got Witch to laugh at that part, because it's quite like Witching Hour's parents to say that xd

Also, Star Trek reference followed by a Princess Bride reference. Clearly, I had an awesome childhood :moustache:

7386552

Thanks, it was one of my favorite chapters to write because I love writing Celestia!Ghost.
7386190

The war is over.... but that's all I will say.
7386600

Isn't it? I had to ensure people read my stories somehow, though!

I felt it was a good wrap up, though, and a proper way to end that story and tell people that it isn't finished. Heck, it isn't even finished in Canterlot in Flames, and will be continued in the next Daring/Leaf story I plan to write!

7387695
What can I say, I tend to get on a roll and keep writing because if I stop I tend to stop for a long time...

7578298

Indeed! We have quite a few Star Trek characters, as you will see later on in my stories!

7590833
Indeed! Though, what Bones was talking about was also a historical reference, as in the British Navy back during the height of the age of sail common sailors would wear white shirts stripped with blue. Any injury that caused bleeding would, quite easily, turn that shirt red.

7972221
Oh, it very well might be who you think it is.

Also, awesome avatar, I really like it :pinkiegasp: Nightmare Moon? Or is it an OC?

7972705
Holly and Fine are two of my favorite characters to write.

It's made both funnier, and also quite sad, when you realize that Holly Sweep's voice is Alan Rickman.

7972694
The avatar is something that I stole borrowed without permission from an art post on EQD... whoever it was that made it labeled it as "Nighthorse".
7972772
Yeah... Also, sorry for the lateness of the replies, I didn't get notifications for them.

7972948
It's fine :derpytongue2:

I tend to reply rather quickly since I work from home.

7989083 Yeah, they weren't meant to be too mysterious.

Well, except for Hope, but that's for different reasons.

7990597 Bones is best doctor. No matter what universe they're in. :pinkiecrazy:

7990735

Thanks ;3

Witching Hour and I came up with most of them, though honestly I think I was the one who came up with the "boldly go" one.

7991628 Yup, Prose's kids are big Daring Do fans, but they like to put their own flare on it.
IN fact, the kitchen scene where he is hopping across the tiles is a reference to Last Crusade ;3

9655262
I apologize if it seems harsh, but I am trying to be honest.

9655306
I appreciate the honesty 8 really do :D

Its an older story and I'd honestly not yet hit my stride as a writer. So this all is really helpful. I just need to go flesh out some stuff and what you've given will help me do that.

9666345

it hasn't aged well with my growth as a writer elsewhere.

Sounds like my original series. That was a major reason why I chose to reboot the stories and start Ponyville Noire.

9666889
That helps quite a bit. That smirk is kinda weird, though...

9683821
True. But I reiterate, I find it a bit odd that Daring’s spooked by some alleged tales of strange lights and voices.

9684245
Which is fair. In our minds its a lot like Chernobyl in that the stories are backed up with led lined caskets in the ground.

Finally finished this, and I did not come away disappointed.

My thoughts on this overall: the adventure aspect was fantastic. You did an amazing job with your worldbuilding and creating backstory, as well as a tantalizing hint of things to come in the broader series; I also have to give you credit for delivering just enough that this story could stand on its own without the curious reader needing to read the rest of Calm Wind's series first. Daring and Leaf bounced off each other pretty well in the beginning, and their relationship was pretty good. Jinsong was entertaining to read about, and the chapter with the storm was a thrill!

However, the romance part of the story could've, I feel, been handled better. I think that part of the problem is you didn't know whether to make this an adventure story or a romance. The result is two different stories that clash against each other, with the romance interrupting and overriding the adventure story for a long period and turning into something of a Romantic Plot Tumor that unfortunately results in some arguably OOC moments for Daring (I have trouble imagining Daring Do saying "dear" and "love," or running away from her feelings). Plus, the way the romance progresses is a cliche song and dance that most of us have heard before.

I think that if you were to redo this story, it'd be wise to integrate the romantic development into the adventure story more closely instead of separating them like you did, as well as focusing far more on the adventure story. Instead of having Leaf and Daring separate at the end of the first act, I'd have them stick together until they reach Canterlot and have both of their feelings naturally progress over their adventures back home, and then let it come to a more natural head in Canterlot instead of a having a bunch of OCs jump in and shove the plot forward before running back offstage.

But don't think too badly of me: overall, I enjoyed this story (at least, the non-romantic parts of it) and would read it again. You did a fine job!

9704686
Thanks! Both for the advice and for leaving these comments ;3

And, truth be told... the group that this story was written with slowly breaking away from Calm's work, and rebuilding a lot of what he did in his series so that it makes a lot more sense. So if you enjoyed what you saw here, please feel free to give the other Expanded Wonderverse stories a read!

Login or register to comment