• Published 11th Aug 2015
  • 14,198 Views, 5,559 Comments

Melody of the Future - Tatsurou



Megaman X raises an infant Octavia Melody in a world of human, Reploid, and Maverick conflict.

  • ...
42
 5,559
 14,198

PreviousChapters Next
8: Flames of Rage

With ice weapons available, the group decided that the Inferno disposal site would be the next best area to pursue, as it would prove useful in dealing with the increased heat of such an area. It was, after all, inside an active volcano and used to dispose of parts from dead Reploids that couldn't - or shouldn't - be reused, recycled, or left alone. While some referred to it as the 'Maverick Dump', its codename in the HQ was 'the Graveyard'.

As the group dropped into the vertical entrance, a descending spiral of floating platforms marked the path down, allowing them to swiftly make their way into the facility. There were very few Mechanaloids along the path, making the journey tedious rather than difficult. The only real hazard proved to be security lasers strong enough to punch right through their armor, but designed not to penetrate through the storage crates and platforms scattered around as they climbed downward.

At the bottom of that initial tunnel, they were able to make their way inward, through a few more tunnels and into a looping path with some spiked walls. At one point as they traversed, however, they were able to detect a Light Capsule, and made their way up and around to it to activate it.

As X came into range, the capsule opened, displaying the Light hologram. "X," the hologram began, "something has changed in you. You are has hopeful as before, but a new ruthlessness has become a part of your mind. Why have you decided to show no mercy to these Reploids?"

"Because they're a direct threat to Harpy, Puppy, Maka, and Shadow," X explained softly. "Alia and I went through too much to bring them into this world to let these Mavericks take that world away from them."

The Light hologram briefly burst into static, much as it had when it first encountered Axl. "You...you have...kids? ...how?"

"Gate," Zero explained. "He designed a system that let Reploid females conceive using human or Reploid DNA. Even though X and I aren't technically Reploids, Gate was able to shape the system so we could have kids with Alia and Iris, respectively. And as much of a handful little Omega is, I'm not letting these bastards take this world from him."

Static covered the holo display for a time. When the hologram reappeared, its eyes were steely. "These armors have been divided into parts and scattered, to protect the power they have in them, to leave it to you to decide how much power you feel you need to unleash on the world. But if your children are threatened, I am in full agreement that the only correct answer is 'all of it'. And these capsules are linked to my AI network. Step into this capsule, X, and take the power to tear these bastards limb from limb. While they won't be available until you equip them back at the base, choose wisely which parts to bring with you each mission." The hologram vanished.

X stepped into the capsule. Energy flashed over X repeatedly, and each time Varia intoned the new program data.

"Neutral Armor acquired. This Armor spec can equip parts of different armor suits to create different effects. Hermes Armor set acquired. Head part increases weapon charge speed, Buster part creates three way charge shot and charges special weapons, Foot part grants increased speed and invincible dashing, Body part negates damage from shots below a specific damage threshold. Complete set grants X-Drive, which greatly enhances sub-weapon output for as long as weapon energy lasts. Icarus armor set acquired. Head part creates a damaging field while jumping, Buster part charges a massive laser beam, Foot part increases jump height, Body part halves all incoming damage. Compete set grants Giga Crash, which unleashes a blast of destructive energy, the force of which directly proportionate to how much energy is stored."

X started to step out of the capsule, but Light's voice stopped him. "There is more," he spoke up. "Remain still. While these upgrades were perfected, their destructive capacity was such that I had not originally intended to give them to you. However, I will withhold nothing from you in your desire to protect your children. I will not make that mistake again."

Light continued to flare around X. Varia beeped more messages. "Ultimate Armor Mark 2 available. Grants Plasma charge shot, faster charge rating, and Nova Strike. Multiplies damage output of all systems by 20. ...Hadoken reactivated. Drivers combined with Skull Buster Charge program...Shinku Hadoken unlocked. Shoryuken reactivated. Drivers combined with Gold Chip programs...Shoryureppa unlocked."

X staggered out of the capsule as he and Octavia stared at each other, eyes wide.

"Axl," the Light hologram spoke up. "Step into this capsule. I have...accessed your original build schematics. If I scan your present structure, I should be able to give you a program that, once installed at HQ, will unlock your full potential."

Axl's eyes widened, and he stepped into the capsule.

"Yes," the Light hologram stated softly as light flowed around Axl, its voice for some reason sounding old and cranky. "Let me reach deep inside you, and touch you in ways no one ever has before, pulling out things you didn't even know you had..."

Frowning, Axl crossed his arms. "I'm not saying it," he growled flatly.

"Aw, you're no fun anymore!" the Light hologram complained, now sounding British.

As Axl stepped out of the capsule, Octavia clambered to his shoulders. "So, what does this new program do for you?" she asked as the capsule closed and shut down.

Axl checked the schematics in his head. "Hmm...looks like massively increased damage output, but slightly decreased armor...and maximized A-Trans energy reserves, letting me maintain a transformation indefinitely."

"Interesting trade off," Zero observed as the group continued through the facility.

Not far beyond, in what resembled a reactor room, the group was confronted by Vile himself. "Where did you take Lumine?" X demanded angrily.

"What makes you think I'm going to answer any questions?" Vile taunted as he hovered in front of them.

Zero stepped forward, his red armor turning white as he activated his Etheric Binary Core. "Because if you don't talk, I'll rip you apart and we'll just keep going until we can get the answers straight from Sigma."

Vile stared at the group for a time. "...bye." With no more than that, he warped out.

Zero powered down, letting his armor return to red. "CiCi, can you get to work on a portable teleport jammer? Something we can use to keep him from escaping next time?"

"Will do!" CiCi confirmed from the HQ. "We'll have something like that finished by the time you're back from dealing with Burn Rooster."

"Who?" X asked curiously.

"The only New-Gen Reploid that worked at the Inferno facility," CiCi explained. "I don't have any further data on him, though. But scans show he may be in the main magma control center."

"That sounds ominous," Octavia muttered softly.

After a long trip down yet another vertical tunnel, they came across Burn Rooster - an orange and purple rooster based humanoid Reploid with a flame comb at the top of his head - beating away at a device with strong kicks. As he turned to face them, X lowered his buster as all four switched to their ice weapons. "Burn Rooster!" he barked out. "This is your one and only chance. Your current objective has been dubbed Maverick as a threat to the world at large...and more specifically, to our children. You have one chance to surrender peacefully, or you will be terminated and left to find your tomb in this Graveyard."

"Is this your idea of justice?" Burn Rooster demanded angrily.

"No," Zero countered. "This is our idea of law. Justice comes if you surrender when you're put on trial for your crimes. There's a difference. I'd choose your next words carefully."

"You hypocrites!" Burn Rooster barked out. "You're the ones who should be scrapped-"

All four opened fire. X, Axl, and Octavia's ranged blasts locked Burn Rooster in place, allowing Zero to split him in half with his ice saber technique. With his destruction, they were able to download weapon data, but they weren't able to analyze it right away as the magma began to rise, the control system broken. They were able to rush out through the vertical tunnel, able to make it out before the magma reached them.

The weapon data was soon analyzed, granting Axl a flamethrower based weapon (the Flame Burner), X and Octavia the Melt Creeper that unleashed a wave of fire along the ground, and Zero the Enkoujin, a downward flame-based saber strike.

PreviousChapters Next