• Published 11th Aug 2015
  • 14,198 Views, 5,559 Comments

Melody of the Future - Tatsurou



Megaman X raises an infant Octavia Melody in a world of human, Reploid, and Maverick conflict.

  • ...
42
 5,559
 14,198

PreviousChapters Next
2: Battle is Met

Octavia sat securely in the side car of X's Ride Chaser - a hoverbike designed to interface with Reploid circuitry for thought controls - as they raced towards the abandoned Reploid factory that was the focus of their mission. "So, we have reason to believe that some of Sigma's followers have gathered there?" she clarified.

"That's right," X agreed. "And we have reason to believe that they might intend to restart the factory, and use it to make an army...or even resurrect Sigma."

"At least Sigma's remote manipulation circuitry was unique," Octavia pointed out. "Even if he is rebuilt and restored, he won't be able to influence the thought processes of other Reploids."

"Exactly," X agreed. "But even so, I don't even want to think about what would happen if Sigma was rebuilt. After all, we don't have the Hadouken anymore."

Octavia snorted in disgust. As expected, Maverick Hunter policy dictated that any weapon technique that could instantly destroy a Reploid - like the Hadouken - was to be sealed and locked, only to be used in cases of utmost emergency. After all, the Hunters were supposed to try and take the Mavericks alive, killing only if necessary. "And I take it the chance of Sigma being resurrected doesn't qualify as an emergency?" she asked for what felt like the hundredth time.

"Unfortunately not," X replied. "Now, if Sigma is actually successfully rebuilt, restored, and rated as equal to or greater than his former capabilities, then we can unseal the Hadouken and use it...assuming we don't find another super weapon upgrade from Doctor Light in the meantime."

"That just might happen," Octavia mused. "For a man who wanted you to lead a peaceful life, he made you some powerful weapons..."

X couldn't help but chuckle at that, but frowned as laser fire started. "We're getting close and under fire. Hold tight."

Nodding, Octavia ducked close to the Ride Chaser, regretting that they gave the weapon chips back to the other Hunters when they were reinstated. A fully charged rolling shield would have been most welcome right at that moment.

"Now jump!" X shouted.

Octavia immediately jumped out of her side car as X leapt off the Ride Chaser, letting it slam into the attacking mechanaloid, destroying both. "Let's go," Octavia commented, charging up her busters.

The pair progressed into the underground facility through the cave entrance, blasting through the mechanaloids that blocked their path. Some were obviously designed only to block paths, being poles that extended from the ceiling. Others were small balls on legs with screwdriver noses. As they blasted their way through, Octavia noted that they were tougher than previous mechanaloids. Lifesaver had modified their busters so that the energy of the former 'Pink Stream' charge was now added to the 'Yellow Burst', resulting in a blue and pink blast that had the equivalent power of the 'Pink Stream', but took less time to charge and didn't waste energy with the recoil field. However, it wasn't as effective as it had been on the previous generation of mechanaloids, indicating these were designed tougher.

The next enemy they encountered was a new model of propeller grabber, like what they'd faced back at the airport when pursuing Storm Eagle, but far more flexible. When they climbed through an upward path, another mechanaloid tried to pull the walls closed on them, but the pair was too quick.

A long drop later, the pair encountered a massive battle mechanaloid, which attempted to attack them with spike ball hands. However, it fell from only a few charged blasts to the head, achieved with some upward aimed blasts. X idly wondered how long until enemy mechanaloids or Reploids started doing that.

With the giant mechanaloid defeated, X and Octavia searched around. "So...where are those Mavericks that were supposed to be gathered here?" Octavia asked after a time.

X frowned as he raised his buster. "You're right. Something about this doesn't add up. Let's get back to base and check in with Serges. If he can get Zero online, we'll do much better."

Octavai nodded eagerly in agreement, and they both beamed out, warping back to the HQ.


As soon as they arrived, Alia had bad news for them. "X! Octavia! Serges has gone missing, and so have the Zero Parts he brought in!"

"What?" X demanded in shock.

"We have to find him!" Octavia gasped. "He's the only one who knows how to fix Uncle Zero!"

"Unfortunately, we have other problems," Alia pointed out. "Eight new high level Mavericks have become active, led by a group calling themselves the 'X Hunters'. All eight are former Maverick Hunters themselves, either retired or formerly MIA. They're led by three unknown Reploids who seem to be moving about a great deal. Whatever this is about, it's plainly a vendetta against you personally, X."

Grunting, X primed his buster. "Well, I'd hate to disappoint them by not showing up," he replied, his face determined.

"But...but what about Uncle Zero?" Octavia whined.

"In all likelihood, these 'X Hunters' are behind Serges' disappearance and the theft of Zero's parts," X explained. "What better way than that to ensure I come at them full force so they can take me down?"

Octavia's mouth hung in shock before her face transformed into a furious visage. "They're gonna pay for that!" she snapped.

"There's more," Alia continued. "The pattern of Maverick assaults...it's the same as when Sigma started his war. There's a distinct possibility that...Sigma might be involved."

"We know what to do if he is," X replied firmly. "We're ready for anything."

PreviousChapters Next