• Published 11th Aug 2015
  • 14,198 Views, 5,559 Comments

Melody of the Future - Tatsurou



Megaman X raises an infant Octavia Melody in a world of human, Reploid, and Maverick conflict.

  • ...
42
 5,559
 14,198

PreviousChapters Next
5: The Final Stretch

"Zero, what hap-"

"We can talk later, X," Zero interrupted him. "Even though I'm designed to do this, the materials to fully handle this energy simply don't exist yet. I can keep up this output for a while, but not permanently. Let's go get Sigma before I have to shut the system down."

X nodded. "Alright, but I'm not the only one who wants answers when we're done." With that said, he leapt ahead with Zero down a path where the only remaining Viral signature came from.

"...alright," Zero replied. "But you're the only one getting all the answers. Most aren't ones I want spread too far."

X watched his friend carefully as they progressed, confused about his behavior, but willing to accept it for the moment. Besides, just seeing the level of damage he could do in this state as he literally tore through any Mechanaloid they came across as they made their way through the cave system was awe inspiring and terrifying in equal parts.

As they reached the first sectioned off chamber, a swarm of black blobs flew at them from behind, and each of them dodged around the blobs as they fused together into a massive sphere with arms, legs, and a single red eye. "A black devil, huh?" Zero murmured.

"You know how to handle this thing?" X asked.

Lunging forward, Zero drew his saber and split the eye - the control core - down the middle, the energy blade humming with a 'Bzowowown' sound as it swept through effortlessly. "Yup," he replied simply as the entire construct began to explode. He then paused. "...huh."

"What?" X asked curiously.

"I just get the feeling that someone, somewhere, is going to get really angry after seeing that," Zero replied as they moved into the next tunnel.

"Sigma, you mean?" X asked curiously.

"...maybe."

The next sequence of tunnels proved just as easy to maneuver. As they moved, X scratched his chin. "I get the feeling something was supposed to happen to change things here," he murmured softly.

"If the Viral Energies had combined down here instead of up in space, it would have caused a momentary rift in space-time that would have massively warped the space in these tunnels," Zero pointed out. "Maybe Sigma was counting on that."

"Then he's not going to be happy that it didn't, is he?" X clarified.

"Probably," Zero agreed.

"There's also something about these tunnels that seems...familiar," X pointed out.

"Really?" Zero asked as they reached another sealed off chamber. "Doesn't seem that way to me."

At that moment, a machine in the background whirred back to life, now very familiar. Two eyes and a nose module, varying in color.

"That's one of the guardian mechanaloids from Sigma's Fortress!" X called out. "It's even got his symbol on it!"

"Then this is where the floating fortress finally wound up after it crashed?" Zero asked in surprise. "I thought it landed in the ocean?"

"It did, but we're on an island that recently built up out of the sea," X pointed out as the pair leapt around, tearing the old mechanaloid apart. "Probably brought up specifically by Sigma for this."

"And he was expecting these things to get a power boost, too," Zero murmured as the machine exploded, clearing a new path. "Guess it's smooth sailing for us from here."

As the pair continued down a spike filled path, X paused as his sensors went off near a deep pit. "Wait..." he murmured softly.

"A Light capsule?" Zero asked. "Go ahead. I'll wait."

Nodding, X leapt down, finding the tunnel in the side of the wall to one last capsule. As he approached, it opened, revealing the Light hologram.

"I never expected you to find this capsule," Dr. Light began. "The fact that it has activated means that the materials now exist to let the design contained within function for you, and that Zero has awakened to his true design potential." As X started to ask, Light held up a hand. "He will tell you. However, if he is to fulfill his purpose, you must fulfill yours, the one the world has made necessary for both of you. This armor will unlock your full potential, and allow you to match him at his strongest, if only for a time. It is my hope that you two need never fight each other...but it is important that you have this ability. Step into this capsule, X, and awaken." With that, the hologram vanished.

Confused, X stepped into the capsule. Light flared over him as his Falcon Armor was sent back to HQ, and a new armor took shape around him. The metal plates were dark blue, with a violet underbody. Gold highlights marked the helmet, buster, belt, and boots. He could feel all his power cores inside his structure - even the ones he didn't know about - activating, and data readouts appeared in his mind.

Ultimate Armor online.
Buster energy output maxed.
Sub-weapon energy efficiency maxed. Regular shots no longer decrease energy stores.
Giga Attack energy maxed. Can be used unlimited times.
Defensive energy maxed. Damage reduction 99.9%
All systems online.
Condition: GREEN!

X stared at himself, amazed. "Whoa..."

"You done yet, X?" Zero called as he dropped in. "It shouldn't take that long to download a pro-whoa!" Zero grinned widely as he caught sight of X's new armor. "Very nice! Light sure knew what he was doing."

"Heh, yeah..." X replied. "Let's get moving, then. Need to deal with Sigma still, right?"

Grinning, Zero led the way forward, X trailing after him.

PreviousChapters Next