• Published 11th Aug 2015
  • 14,198 Views, 5,559 Comments

Melody of the Future - Tatsurou



Megaman X raises an infant Octavia Melody in a world of human, Reploid, and Maverick conflict.

  • ...
42
 5,559
 14,198

PreviousChapters Next
2: Smashing Through the Snow

X and Octavia warped into the North Pole base, ready for anything. Octavia immediately called Classic to her side for backup. "You sure you need him?" X asked curiously.

"Need? Doubtful," Octavia replied. "Want?"

X shrugged. "Fair enough. Let's go!"

The first portion of the base was rather straight forward, moving forward and down before crossing a spike pit on a mobile platform. The enemies they encountered were more of the same things they'd encountered before, specifically those they'd encountered back in the Reploid Factory that had been the mission that started this sequence of events. This even included the bot that tried to pull the walls closed on them. The second encounter with that robot, however, proved more hazardous, as the walls were not straight up and down, forcing the trio to leap from wall to wall to progress upward. The third such upward passage was straight up and down, but much longer. The fourth was both long and zig-zagged.

"I am getting really sick of that bot," Octavia growled, a growl echoed by Classic.

"You aren't the only one," X agreed. "Next time we see it..."

Shortly after that, they entered the boss chamber, where Violen waited for them. "Time for a rematch!" he declared. Raising his arms, blocks appeared scattered around the room before he launched his new spike ball to bounce around the room.

"Dad!" Octavia called out as she began charging her busters. "I'm going to try something!"

"Be careful!" X called back as he evaded, taking pot shots at Violen as they fought.

"You won't have time to try anything!" Violen snarled.

Once her buster was fully charged, she dashed straight for Violen. Switching sub weapons, she released the charge as she pulled out her simulated beam saber. The charged beam sheared through Violen's arms as he raised them to change the block formation.

"AAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHH!" he screamed out in pain. "You'll pay for that!" Launching his spike ball, he watched as its bounce pattern took it across the conjured blocks without ever hitting the ground beneath. "Uhh...just a moment." Trying again, it continued to bounce off the blocks. "You'll pay in just a second!" Again, the spike ball failed to reach the ground. "Maker dammit, work!"

Smirking, X and Octavia positioned themselves under the blocks and opened fire. Before long, Violen was destroyed.

"It's not fair!" he screamed out as he exploded, his last scream stretching out as he fell.


Warping in to the next segment of the base, X and Octavia proceeded with care. As it immediately took them under water, Octavia immediately activated the Classic Adapter for aquatic transport. While this made her quite maneuverable, the larger frame that resulted made it somewhat harder to get through the narrow passages.

When the next underwater passage was filled with spikes but not enemies, Octavia carried X through, since Classic's water jets were strong enough to do so. Afterwards, they came to a narrow upward path lined with spikes that exited the water. Octavia disengaged with Classic and sent him back to base for this part, since the Adapter was almost out of juice.

Eventually, a vertical platform came down, moving quickly. X was able to cling to the side, getting Octavia on top of it. The ride was unpleasant, as there were also flame jets at points that X was forced to take the hit from.

"Are you alright, Dad?" Octavia asked worriedly.

"More or less," X replied. "This new armor's pretty effective."

Not long after that, the pair reached the boss chamber. Serges awaited them in a massive war machine over a pit of spikes. "Well, X?" he asked. "Do you still want answers? Will you face me alone to get them?"

Nodding, X leapt onto the platforms above the spike pit to fight.

The first part of the machine was a massive shield wall with cannons. Serges didn't get much use out of it, however, as X destroyed it almost immediately with the Giga Crush blast the armor upgrade provided, releasing stored energy from damage he'd taken. After that, X had to hit Serges even as he moved up and down in his armored pod shooting at him.

Eventually, X did enough damage to cause Serges to drop out of his pod. "Excellently done, X..." he gasped out. "You've performed...most admirably.

"Why, Serges?" X demanded. "Why do all this? Why start the X Hunters, and steal Zero's parts? Why do any of this?"

Serges chuckled. "You still don't get it, X? I told you why I was doing it even before I did it..." His systems started to go into meltdown.

"What do you mean?" X demanded.

Serges grinned widely as his body went critical. "I was just...following your...orders...Commander..." Serges lifted his hand in salute before exploding.

"What?" X demanded in shock. "My...my orders? What does that mean?"

"Daddy?" Octavia called out, hopping to X's side via the platforms. "What's wrong? What happened? Did...did he tell you why he did it?"

"He said...he was following my orders," X replied, confused.

"But...but you wouldn't order him to steal Zero and start a rebellion!" Octavia pointed out. "That's just...stupid! He must have been brainwashed into thinking you ordered him to do that, like Magna Centipede!"

"Maybe..." X allowed.

"Right!" Octavia affirmed. "Now come on! We need to keep going and save Zero!"

As Octavia raced ahead, X reached back through his memory, trying to remember any order he had given Serges that could have been twisted into this. His eyes widened as he recalled the only order he'd ever given Serges.

Do whatever it takes to bring Zero back online, Doctor. We're counting on you.

"Whatever it takes..." X murmured. "They kept talking about...battle data. Serges said Zero's parts needed their battle data restored..."

X shuddered. There was a distinct possibility after all that this entire rebellion was by his orders, even if he hadn't realized it. He made a mental note to never tell Octavia - or anyone else, for that matter - of this. He also made a note to put someone else in the position of Commander as soon as possible. He plainly wasn't cut out for it.

PreviousChapters Next