• Published 11th Aug 2015
  • 14,177 Views, 5,559 Comments

Melody of the Future - Tatsurou



Megaman X raises an infant Octavia Melody in a world of human, Reploid, and Maverick conflict.

  • ...
42
 5,559
 14,177

PreviousChapters Next
CM: Call of Secrets

The escalation of Axl, Cinnamon, and Marino's date had caused quite a disruption as far as getting everyone ready for the next mission against the Rebellion. As such, it would be some time before they could actually be dispatched. So far, only Axl, Cinnamon, X, and Zero's maintenance had been completed, and it would be some time before Gaudile would recover from his hangover after seeing that centerfold, and he was the only one who could perform the necessary repairs for the others. Even Cinnamon's restoration effects were more patches than actual repairs, and were straining on her core if overused. As a result, Axl was left at loose ends while Cinnamon tended to her father's indisposition.

Since he didn't want to draw too much attention, he'd decided to stay within the Central Tower. To add to that, he'd donned his armor and triggered his Stealth Mode. As long as he didn't activate any combat subroutines, he could maintain this mode near indefinitely...certainly long enough to make it to the less populated lower levels of the Tower that X had told him about. There was apparently a repair table down there from when the Resistance had been trying to take the Tower back which he could use to replenish base resources - like Stealth Mode energy, armor energy, and sub tanks - which would be useful since there were rogue security mechanaloids down there that he'd have to deal with.

Once he passed the level where there were any people wandering about, he disengaged Stealth Mode and activated his combat subroutines. That would make it easier to find that repair table, and fighting security mechanaloids would be a good way to relax.

"And I thought Zero was the lone wolf," X suddenly spoke up, stepping out of the repair chamber.

Axl did his best not to jump out of his armor. "...okay, how many of you are down here?" he demanded grumpily.

"All of us," Zero spoke up as he stepped out as well. "Gaudile is not pleasant to be around when hungover."

"And it's not like my armor was non-functional," Marino added as she stepped out, her boots still squeaking.

"Yeah...Daddy didn't really want to see me just now," Cinnamon admitted shamefacedly. "Guess he didn't learn about how grown up I was in the best way..."

"Even Stealth Mode can't hide you from your Mother," Octavia chided as Massimo stepped out, Octavia sitting on his shoulder.

"I couldn't let the ladies come down here unescorted," Massimo pointed out defensively.

"You really think I'd walk away from a show this entertaining?" Spider joked with a tap of his cane.

Axl rolled his eyes, groaning in frustration. "So much for a chance to calm down," he grumbled, using the repair table to recharge before stomping off.

Octavia frowned, hopping from Massimo's shoulder to Axl's head. "Something's bothering you, Axl," she stated flatly, rubbing the crystal in the center of his helm. "Talk to me. Tell me what it's about."

"I...I don't know..." Axl grumbled. "Just...ever since I entered this Tower, I've been...antsy. Like...like there's somewhere I need to be...something I need to do..." Growling angrily, he slammed his clenched fist into the metal wall. "But I can't make sense of it!"

Octavia hopped down worriedly. "...Axl..."

"Sounds like a lesser form of what was happening to me during the Eurasia incident," Zero suddenly spoke up. "I think I can help."

Axl blinked. "Eurasia? I don't understand-"

"It's when I learned about my origins and purpose," Zero clarified.

"You mean I'm acting like this because the answers I need are here somewhere?" Axl asked hopefully. "What do I do? Where do I go?"

Zero held up his hand to slow Axl down a bit. "Think logically, kid. If you aren't getting specific instructions from your circuits, then use your brain. Now, one thing for sure...it's not gonna be anywhere out in the open where just anyone can find it. Pre-End Times stuff is always well hidden and heavily protected."

"There's a locked door further down," X pointed out. "If we had the key-"

"You refused to let go of the Central Key when we found it," Octavia added helpfully.

Axl turned eagerly to X. "Which way to the door, Gramps? Which way?"

"That way-" X began, only for Axl to blur past him, having shifted into Wild Jango for the speed as he raced to the door. Shifting back to normal as the others raced to catch up, he used the key to open the door.

The door opened to a downward spiraling path that seemed to descend all the way to the base of the tower. Axl eagerly raced down, hoping to find his answers...but found something else waiting for them.

The robot - the sound of its joints made it plain it was a pre-End Times robot, though heavily upgraded with all modern tech - stood as tall as Massimo, though with a much slimmer body. His overall structure was vulpine, with a white fox-like face. Most of his body was crimson, and he had a large green crystal in the center of his chest. He looked up as Axl approached. "So you have come," he stated calmly. "You seek the secrets I defend...but if you don't prove yourself, you won't leave this place alive. Come one step closer, and seal your fate."

Axl stared in shock. "Who...who are you?"

The figure did not respond.

Steeling himself, Axl took a step forward.

The figure grinned widely. "Releasing control logic restriction system to level 8." The figure blazed with light, and a single tail extended from the back of its body, containing within it a fragment of Force Metal that blazed with more energy than any that the group had equipped. "I am Onetails, and I challenge you to a fight."

PreviousChapters Next