• Published 11th Aug 2015
  • 14,198 Views, 5,559 Comments

Melody of the Future - Tatsurou



Megaman X raises an infant Octavia Melody in a world of human, Reploid, and Maverick conflict.

  • ...
42
 5,559
 14,198

PreviousChapters Next
CM: To Grandmother's House We Go

With the Preons dispatched, X and the others immediately pursued Dr. Psyche despite the lead he'd gained from how quickly he'd run away. Since he was apparently after Professor Gaudile as well, they needed to try and get there first.

Especially since he's apparently Gaudile's brother-in-law, Octavia observed silently to herself. She knew just how strong familial bonds could be, and she was beginning to think those bonds weren't just between Gaudile and Psyche. The design of the lab made it feel like there was another player involved.

It didn't take the group long to get the answers, as they soon found themselves in a small chamber where the Professor was bemoaning something terrible. "Cinnamon...Cinnamon...!'

"Professor!" X called out as they approached. "What's wrong?"

"Damn that Psyche..." Gaudile moaned. "He's after the Force Metal Generator! He has been from the start! It was never about me..."

"Force Metal Generator?" Spider spoke up in surprise. "Isn't that the experimental prototype technology you're famous for, which can create specific formulations of Force Metal from other materials as long as it's built up enough of the right kind of energy?"

"Wha-who are you?" Gaudile barked out, taking a defensive stance.

Massimo stepped forward. "Easy there, Professor. We're here to help you. This Cinnamon person...she has the Generator, and she's important to you? Then we'll save her from Psyche. Simple as that. We can talk more once she's safe."

Gaudile blinked in surprise. "T-thanks..." he stammered, but narrowed his eyes as he got ahold of himself. "But why? What's in it for you?"

"Another innocent safe from the clutches of the Rebellion, of course!" Massimo proclaimed proudly. "For I am Steel Massimo, hero of Giga City!" He let out a mighty laugh.

"...who?" Gaudile inquired in confusion. Massimo slumped in on himself as Spider burst into laughter. "N-nevermind!" Gaudile interrupted. "Just please, save Cinnamon!"

Nodding, the group dashed off along the path Gaudile directed.


Marino cursed her luck. Of course the Rebellion Army would have sent someone after the Force Metal Generator. Normally she'd be fully capable of handling an FM Reploid in one way or another...but the problem was the one they sent. Dr. Psyche was exactly the sort of foe a speed-type like her couldn't handle easily. He was a master strategist, which meant outsmarting him was next to impossible. He had homing crystal weapons, which meant outrunning him wasn't an option. He had sturdy enough armor that beating the crap out of him wasn't an option. He was in top condition while her armor needed a major tune up, which meant outlasting him wouldn't work.

And to top it off, he was so obsessed with his dead sister that he wouldn't notice a flirtation if she sat naked in his lap and started grinding, which negated the most effective weapon in her usual arsenal. Light, Wily, and Cossack damn my luck! she muttered internally. Why couldn't it have been Wild Jango? Him I can handle- "GYUK!" Her internal thoughts were cut off as the homing crystals embedded themselves in Marino's torso, making her collapse to the ground, coughing out some blood. "D...dammit..."

"Marino!" Cinnamon called out worriedly from the side of the room, where she'd moved to get out of the way of the fight.

Dr. Psyche chuckled as he watched her fall. "Lousy thief! Did you really think you could escape from me?"

Marino pushed herself up as much as she could manage. "It was...worth a try-" She pulled her tongue back as far as she could as Psyche's boot connected with her lower jaw, sending her tumbling to Cinnamon's feet. Least I didn't bite out my tongue...I can repair-

All thought on anyone's part was cut off as Cinnamon knelt beside Marino, her body glowing with sparks of yellow light. Before everyone's eyes, the crystals embedded in Marino's torso extracted themselves, the wounds healing and the armor repairing itself. Marino was even more surprised as she felt the chips in her teeth mending themselves, and the blood in her mouth being reabsorbed into her flesh to flow properly in her veins once more. She still felt incredibly exhausted...but she wasn't on the brink of death anymore, and instead could probably fight again once she got her breath back.

"Incredible!" Psyche proclaimed in amazement. "So this is the power of the Generator-"

"Shut it!" Cinnamon snapped out. "You are going to stand there and be quiet while I finish healing Marino, and then you're going to leave her here to recover! Is that clear?"

Psyche visibly wilted in on himself. "Yes Sugar, please don't yell at Nii-san..." he whimpered softly.

Sugar? Wasn't that the name of Gaudile's wife? Marino wondered to herself. ...oh. That's why it's him.

Cinnamon lightly patted Marino on the head as the light faded. "Rest up. You'll have your breath back in a few minutes." With that said, she got to her feet and turned to Dr. Psyche.

Dr. Psyche quickly got a hold of herself. "Yes! Come, Cinnamon! It's time to go! Now, what's this 'Eternal Forest' thing I saw on the schematics?"

"It's a security system and training facility," Cinnamon explained brightly. "I've spent a lot of time there. Such a nice atmosphere."

"What's the best way through?" Dr. Psyche demanded intently.

"The best way? Oh, you definitely want to keep going left, then," Cinnamon explained as she walked along with Dr. Psyche and his Preon escort, allowing herself to be led through.

Marino slowly took calming breaths as she thought about that. Something felt off about that...if only she could remember what...

PreviousChapters Next