• Published 11th Aug 2015
  • 14,198 Views, 5,559 Comments

Melody of the Future - Tatsurou



Megaman X raises an infant Octavia Melody in a world of human, Reploid, and Maverick conflict.

  • ...
42
 5,559
 14,198

PreviousChapters Next
5: Secrets of the Past

Zero found himself floating in a field of white flame. There was neither heat nor cold, neither light nor dark, only whiteness. As he floated there, he felt power beginning to flow into him. He wasn't sure what was happening, but system messages began to appear.

J-Energy reserves replenished.
Engaging Binary Core.
Ether generation commencing.
Project Revelation codes accepted. Accessing main Lunar databanks.
Viral control programs activated. Beginning final debriefing.

Two holographic images appeared in front of him, one surrounded by a violet aura, one surrounded by a blue aura. Both were images he recognized. The first in the violet light was the hologram that had given him Timbre. The second was the unicorn hologram that had given Tavi the Classic Adapter. Both looked at him with warm smiles, and he somehow realized he knew both of them.

"Well," the old man spoke up, "we certainly didn't expect it to go this way."

"But we were prepared for it," the unicorn confirmed. "So...you probably have some questions for us. Go ahead, ask away."

Finding his voice reactivated, Zero yelled out the first question to come to mind. "Who the fuck are you two?"

The old man started grumbling, even as the unicorn fell over on her back in peals of laughter. "Pay up!" the unicorn snapped, holding out a hoof.

Grumbling, the old man transferred some data before speaking. "We are holographic reconstructions based off the physical appearance and psychic impressions of your creators, much like the Light hologram is to X in his capsules. Our purpose was to act as the control programs for your binary power cores that would let you tap Ether, as you were originally designed to do. For convenience, you may refer to us by the names of those we were based off of: Albert and Vinyl Scratch Wily. I am certain I don't need to tell you who is who."

"Ether?" Zero asked again.

"Two alien sources of energy made their way to Earth during the 21st century," Vinyl explained. "They were known as Justice and Evil Energy. Both fed off the emotions of those who wielded them, polarizing them in the process as it amplified the emotions it fed on and suppressed all others. The end result was that Justice Energy users became Lawful Stupid Crusaders, and Evil Energy users became Chaotic Evil Berserkers. The energies negated each other when wielded against each other, but shared a fundamental wavelength. Quite accidentally, it was discovered that if they were wielded together in a binary process - with two separate neural directives guiding the energies to work together - they would become Ether, a purified energy source massively more powerful than either individually. Your final form was designed from the ground up to utilize that function. I was the control program for your J-Core, while Albert here was the control program for your E-Core."

"So that's where the Virus came from," Zero murmured softly. "Evil Energy sounds a lot like what the Maverick Virus does to Reploids-"

"Precisely," Albert interrupted. "An imperfect copy of my primary program, combined with the Evil Energy I was created to control and the initial tech Sigma used to make other Reploids obey him, resulted in the creation of the behavior altering energy known as the Maverick Virus."

"Why did that even happen?" Zero demanded angrily. "Didn't you have safeguards against it getting loose?"

"We did," Albert replied. "However, it was considered a higher priority that you not become a puppet to either energy before you were able to control ether."

"Why?" Zero cried out despairingly. "What is so important about me that it's worth sacrificing so many innocent lives?"

Both programs were silent for a time. Eventually, Vinyl spoke up. "You are The Judge."

"...what?"

"In the time of the ones we are based off of, humanity was always at war," Vinyl explained. "The war did not always involve weapons, but it always caused suffering. And it was those who did not want to fight that suffered the most from it...and those with no choice that lost their souls to the struggle. Humans, robots...it didn't matter. The one I was created from decided that the only way the world could be united to bring an end to that suffering...was if there was a single being who did not want that suffering to continue, who had within them the power to wipe all life from the planet. You are The Judge...you are The Moment. The Ultimate Destroyer...with a conscience."

"What?"

"It is your purpose," Albert explained. "Each day, you will have a choice. You will look upon the world and ask yourself, are they still worth saving? And then you will decide...to save, or to destroy. That decision will always be wholly yours. And when the world sees the vastness of your power, and learns that it has no limits...they will know what it means to be at the mercy of a man-made god."

Zero stared in stunned amazement. "But...X..."

"Was built by Dr. Light to, in essence, serve the opposite purpose," Vinyl explained. "He was meant to fully bridge the gap between human and robotic life, to be the ambassador that brings peace. His power, too, is limitless, though he does not have Ether as you do. Instead, he was designed to be endlessly self-upgrading, so that no matter how powerful the world around him became, he would always be greater than that...and strong enough to match you. If you are The Judge...he is The Advocate."

Zero turned in the Ether, staring down at the world far below now that he could see it as more of the energy surrounding him funneled into his body. "Then...my destiny...?"

"Is to make your own," Albert explained. "That was our decision for you."

"When I first built you, you were called Doc Robot," Vinyl explained. "I made you to make my father proud of me. Then I rebuilt you as Secret, to be my final weapon to save my father. Then you were The Robot Formerly Known As Secret, as I debated what your final purpose should be. And then we built you as you are...and gave you no name. Your name, like your destiny, was one we wanted you to choose for yourself."

"...what went wrong?" Zero asked. "Why did the energy get loose?"

"...that was my fault," Vinyl continued. "And by that, I mean me, not your creator who I'm based on. When Tavi appeared, I felt...compelled to act to protect her. Dr. Light placed her in stasis with X...and I added a protocol in X's programming that would make him want to take care of her. I also added it to yours as part of your fundamental nature. But...in doing so, the timing circuit of your stasis capsule was altered, and the release program suffered a fatal error." She lowered her head. "I am sorry..."

Zero closed his eyes as he thought this over. "And since you're a part of me...it's my job to fix it." He gazed down at the world below. "I have a lot to make up for."

"Good luck," Vinyl and Albert said together as they vanished, all the energy being absorbed into Zero.


"W...what is that?" X gasped out as he stared up at the screen and the single shining white dot where the colony had been.

"I...I don't know!" Alia called out, running her hands over her console as she desperately tried to analyze the data. "Whatever it is, it's absorbed all the viral energy from the colony...and now it's sucking up all the viral energy coating the planet!" Changing the focus, she zoomed in closer to the planet where streams of violet could be seen being dragged out of the atmosphere and into the new star, shining brighter than the sun and pure as new-fallen snow.

"What about Uncle Zero?" Octavia called out. "Is he going to be alright?"

"I don't know!" Iris whimpered from her console. "That new light...the energy signature it's giving off matches Zero's...but at an order of magnitude beyond anything I've ever seen!"

"It's descending!" Colonel shouted out as the star began streaking towards the planet.

"I'm tracking the course..." Alia began. "...it's coming down at point 11F5646!"

"Get me out there!" X shouted out, donning his Falcon Armor.

"On it, X!" Alia called out as she programmed the teleporter. "Be careful!"


As X warped into the scene, the air around him seemed to shatter as the heavens shook to the sound of a massive power chord. The white star shot down to Earth, coming to a halt right in front of him...and the light faded.

A white armored reploid stood there, surrounded in a corona of white flame. The armor had gold highlights, and the power cores shone a brilliant green in the chest plate. Blue and white hair cascaded from the back of the helm in a familiar ponytail, blowing in wind of its own creation. Familiar green eyes opened, followed by a wide smile.

"Nice timing, X. We've got work to do."

X grinned widely, rushing up to his friend. "Welcome back, Zero!" he proclaimed warmly as they clenched their hands together between their faces.

PreviousChapters Next