• Published 11th Aug 2015
  • 14,198 Views, 5,559 Comments

Melody of the Future - Tatsurou



Megaman X raises an infant Octavia Melody in a world of human, Reploid, and Maverick conflict.

  • ...
42
 5,559
 14,198

PreviousChapters Next
7: The Man Behind It All

When the group finished warping out of the Dueling Grounds, they landed on one end of a platform, leading straight forward to a path split with teleporters plainly in view at either end. Axl immediately started down the path, Red's scythe now strapped to his back. Octavia clambered up to his shoulders and gently tapped his cheek. "Are you alright?" she asked softly.

"...no..." Axl replied softly, his voice firm and controlled even as his hands shook. "But I'm not going to be better...until The Professor has been dealt with. That way, I can free my men." X's eyebrow shot up in response to that statement, and Zero smirked proudly. "So I'll deal with him...then deal with this."

Octavia nodded softly. "Alright." She sat back, letting him choose the path, X and Zero following.

"We stick together," Axl declared firmly, and received no argument.

Axl led them through the left teleporter, and along a straight path of separated platforms and walls that required careful air maneuvering to get through, and bomb throwing drones, laser grids, and fire breathing canine mechanaloids guarding the paths. Another path led into a curved path, twisting back and forth as they dealt with radar towers and giant turtle mechanaloids. Much to X and Zero's surprise, Axl made excellent use of Red's scythe, splitting most hostiles in a single swing from midair. Apparently, the scythe carried the drivers to use it properly.

A teleporter took them to a wider area with larger platforms patrolled by the canine mechanaloids, though they now came in different colors, with red ones breathing fire while blue ones unleashed frost, and where the path split once again. Axl led the way to the left.

"Do you know where we're going?" Zero asked curiously.

"Forward," Axl responded firmly. "With the security disabled after the maze was set up, it's impossible to be sure of more than that."

Before long, the group reached a large, open chamber with eight teleporters, each one with what looked like a sarcophagus in front of it. "This...this isn't part of the Palace," Axl stated worriedly, glancing around as he tried to make sense of the surroundings. "At least...not a part I recognize..."

"We do," X growled out, his hands flexing angrily.

"We faced a chamber like this every time we went up against Sigma," Zero added, his eyes flinty. "He made us face off against copies of every Maverick we'd had to deal with in each of the conflicts. Here...this 'Professor' is making you face duplicates of your men."

Axl's eyes hardened. "And what happens when they're beaten?"

"The teleporters shut down, and generally whatever marks them breaks," Octavia continued. "In this case, probably the sarcophagi-"

With a roaring shout, Axl seized Red's scythe and hurled it, sending it spinning through the air, smashing the sarcophagi and shutting down the teleporters as it went, curving like a boomerang to destroy all eight before returning to his hand. "I don't play games for the entertainment of my enemies," he growled out as he strapped it to his back.

Seeing this, Zero chuckled as he pulled out of his duck. "Yup, definitely a Light," he teased, elbowing X playfully.

At Octavia's confused expression, X rubbed the back of his head sheepishly. "I...did the same thing when Zero and I were going after Sigma after the Eurasia incident."

"When you came back with the Ultimate Armor?" Octavia clarified. She thought about that for a time. "I get to smash the warps next time," she stated firmly.

A final teleporter appeared in the center of the platform, and the group stepped up into it.


At the other end of the teleporter, a figure floated above the platform they found themselves on. He was bright purple with green armor covered in white tubes, sticking out to amplify his energy production. A massive gun sat in his right hand. His face, however, was unmistakable. "Sigma!" X, Zero, and Octavia snapped out angrily, drawing their weapons as they got into combat stances.

"Who were you expecting?" Sigma laughed out. "Seriously, eight Mavericks rampaging and the world in peril...who else did you think it would be?"

"You just can't stay down, can you?" Zero growled out. "I thought we were finished with you last time. How'd you survive?"

"Actually, Zero, I have to thank you for last time," Sigma replied wickedly. "It opened my eyes to how dependent I became on that Virus you gave me. I was far greater before I ever let it into my systems. I would have been better off if I'd never been infected, never accepted that program's offer of power." He glared down at Zero. "Not to say I wouldn't have followed this path without it. I was on my way there to begin with. So long as this world is humans and Reploids, so long as there is division...there will never be peace. And I will claim the power to end that division permanently...by wiping the human scourge from the face of this planet, and creating the world only for Reploids we deserve!"

"You're insane!" X proclaimed angrily, raising his buster.

"Am I, X?" Sigma asked, lifting the massive gun in his hand. "Or am I the only sane Reploid left in this world as it rots from within? We are the future, and it's time for the past to be-AAAAGH!"

Axl lowered his scythe as the hand holding that massive gun dropped to the floor. "You talk too much," he growled out, his eyes as hard as agates.

"Why do this?" Sigma demanded angrily, clutching the stump. "You really think humans and Reploids-"

"I don't give a damn," Axl responded firmly. "Humans, Reploids, past, future...that's not my concern." He braced the scythe in both hands. "But you turned my men into crazed puppets, and drove the man I saw as a Father to betray everything he stood for to protect them. You are an enemy of Red Alert, and as the leader of this organization, I will destroy you and reclaim our home! Prepare yourself!"

Growling, Sigma lifted his stump arm, causing the hand and gun to fly back to reattach. "You think you can stop me? A punk like you? Bring it on!"

PreviousChapters Next