• Published 11th Aug 2015
  • 14,197 Views, 5,559 Comments

Melody of the Future - Tatsurou



Megaman X raises an infant Octavia Melody in a world of human, Reploid, and Maverick conflict.

  • ...
42
 5,559
 14,197

PreviousChapters Next
Family Valued

Axl glanced nervously at the red armored Reploid who sat beside him in the waiting room. Admittedly, technically the one beside him wasn't a Reploid, per se. Like X and Zero - and possibly Axl himself - this was another machine who predated the Reploid era, and was technically a highly advance robot. Still, Axl didn't really like thinking of him that way, and so in his own thoughts referred to him as a Reploid. Besides, he'd already discovered that his A-Trans could analyze his DNA data enough for a weapon copy and an incomplete transformation, though there were certain systems he was incapable of duplicating.

Still, it wasn't how old or how famous the one beside him was that made Axl nervous...though one would have every reason to be nervous and awkward being around the progenitor of robotic life. In human terms, it would be like actually meeting Adam face to face. The Prototype, the first artificial man, the blueprint every living cybernetic life form had been derived from. Even X had originally been designed from Protoman, from Prometheus, and X was the source of everything else. It was enough to send just about everyone he met who did know his story into babbling fangasms. ...which, now that Axl thought about it, was probably why he was so reclusive.

No, what made Axl nervous here was what he'd learned recently about how he related to this individual, which was why Prometheus was here in the first place on this day, with Zero and Iris watching his sons. "So...X is your brother?" he asked softly.

Prometheus nodded. "Little brother, really." He spoke quietly, his voice exceptionally controlled. "Of course, technically so is Zero...though one could also say he was my nephew, depending on how you want to interpret things."

"Uh...?" Axl began, unsure how to react to that.

"His final form was a father-daughter project," Prometheus explained. "The father was one of the scientists who made me, while the daughter I saw as a little sister. That makes Zero my brother and my nephew-"

"Are all pre-End robotic relations this complicated?" Axl asked morosely.

Prometheus smirked. "And only I get the joke..." He maintained his inscrutable expression behind his helmet when Axl turned to look at him in confusion. "Go on," he stated firmly. "You wanted to ask me a question, didn't you?"

Axl nodded, swallowing convulsively. "The Light hologram...knew something about me, but wouldn't say-"

"And I can well understand why," Prometheus cut him off. "The Light hologram is made from a neural scan of Dr. Light at the worst moment of his life, just days before the event that began the End Times, and not long after the event that set them in motion. I seriously doubt if the network that supports the AI can even handle processing all the emotional data related to it. I'm surprised the whole network didn't shut down when he saw you."

Axl's eyes widened. "Then...then I was built in pre-End times? You know where I came from?"

"I do," Prometheus confirmed.

"Then...then you can tell me?" The naked longing in Axl's gaze was painful to look at.

"No."

"Why not?" Axl demanded angrily, feeling torn apart inside that the truth of his origins was so close, and yet being denied him.

"For your own good," Prometheus answered flatly. "Right now, you're Octavia's son, X's grandson, a part of the Light family. Though you are technically a Light bot, any more I tell you would upset things." He leaned back. "Besides...somewhere out there is the capsule you were found in, containing the neural imprints of the ones who began your construction on the off chance they weren't the ones to complete it." He lowered his eyes. "She beat contingency plans into their heads," he mumbled under his breath. He then leaned back to stare at the ceiling. "Soon..."

"Huh?" Axl asked in confusion at Prometheus' seeming rambling.

"Never mind that part," Prometheus continued. "But they're in there, in your capsule. And given how everything's happened, I know you'll find it...probably where you least expect it, and far enough in the future that the revelations won't lead to questioning your feelings about your situation, and likely just when you desperately need it. I won't steal their thunder for when they tell you who and what you are." He closed his eyes. "Besides," he grumbled to himself, "the longer I go without references to that show, the better..."

"Uh...?" Axl was now even more confused than before.

"For now, don't worry about it so much," Prometheus suggested. "Be happy with the life and family you have. You've been through enough upheaval as is. Besides, today's not your day." He glanced up as the door, and Armatige stepped out.

"They're ready," she whispered softly. X, Octavia, Prometheus, and Axl all stood up to follow her.

"Does it always take so long?" X asked worriedly.

"There weren't any complications, if that's what you mean," Armatige assured him. "It took longer than any of mine because there was more to do, simple as that." Turning, she led them down a hall to another room.

Inside, Alia lay back on the bed, out of her armor and looking tired but glowing. In a nearby cradle were four newborns with skin tones matching X and Alia's, but with matching hair and eye color already visible. "They already have designations," Armatige informed them, "but they still wait being given 'civilian' names, if you choose to give them such." Reaching in, she pulled out a green haired, green eyed boy. "This is your first born, Harpuia." X gently took the boy into his arms, cradling him briefly before allowing the others a chance to hold and look.

Armatige then lifted out the red haired, red eyed boy. "Your second born, Fafnir," she introduced softly. Next was the blue haired, blue eyes girl. "Third born, your daughter Leviathan." Finally was the grey haired, silver eyed boy. "And your youngest, Phantom."

X smiled softly as the family gathered close, welcoming the newest arrivals.

PreviousChapters Next