• Published 8th Jul 2015
  • 2,812 Views, 55 Comments

Reflections - Quiververse Edition - EchoWing



An alternate take on the events of IDW's "Reflections" comic as they occurred in the Quiververse.

  • ...
3
 55
 2,812

Epilogue - Love is an Open Door

Many years had passed for Celestia since she’d last traveled through Star Swirl’s first mirror, but not a day went by that she didn’t think of the world left behind and wonder how things were progressing there, or how things were for the stallion she loved. On this particular night, she looked up into the stars, the moon a waxing crescent just as it had been then. So much had changed in this world, in one way or another, and she suspected it was much the same there. Perhaps Sombra had moved on since then. And perhaps it was time she…

“Do you know why it is called a ‘waxing’ crescent?” Shock was clear on her face as she turned to see her addressor, a familiar pair of green eyes matching the familiar voice as he continued, “Because for a long time, the word ‘waxing’ was more associated with fullness than with removal, particularly in regards to food preservation.”

The princess stared in shock, the words barely reaching her mouth as she asked, “Sombra?”

The gray unicorn smiled, lifted up a card in a golden aura of magic and spoke the one word emblazoned upon it. “Always.”

She rushed forward and embraced him, the stallion acting in turn. The two laughed happily as Celestia cried, “It’s been so long. You found them.”

“Your protégé’s copy of Star Swirl’s notes was very clear. Had my world’s Star Swirl ever seen them, he would have been most impressed.” The two loosened their embrace as the king continued, “We did take our time, however, and I do apologize. It’s only now that I felt safe in coming, we had so much to do. And no doubt you’ve been just as busy here.”

“Yes, actually.” She smiled. “How long can you stay?”

“Three days at most. We didn’t want to chance taking out any of the safeguards Star Swirl put into the later portals. It’s slight, but…” At Celestia’s laugh, he asked, “Don’t tell me…?”

“We’ve safely worked around that issue as well.” She smiled. “We have a lot of catching up to do, and I have a gift for you before you go.”

“Oh?”

“Yes, but first, show me where you came in.”

The king smiled and led her towards the castle grounds. As they went on their way, Seventh Moon observed them, the faintest of smiles upon his face as he turned away and left them in peace.

Author's Note:

And here we are, the end of what will no doubt be my most unpopular story ever on this site. I can live with that.

I'll say this right now, I do plan on making further adaptations of comic stories, but most are a long ways down the road and the next one I am doing will be less like this and more like the other adaptations of that same story. And these aren't being done on a whim, either - they do serve a purpose.

Comments ( 35 )

6242771 Yep, the songbird was Sunrunner. I hope the next few chapters are more enjoyable as the departures from the comic increase.

6243719
I just finished the fic and I must say, I enjoyed it. I believe it deserves a like.

6246190 Thanks very much!

Those chapter titles..

I see what you did there. ;D

6480830 I'm a nerd and I'm proud of it. :twilightsmile:

tbh i like this one the most cause its the longest and i get drawn into the story vary easily and i don't like it when it ends :twilightsmile:

6652008 Thanks, though I'd hardly call this one my longest piece. Don't be surprised if I have the odd call back to it in my later works, however; I enjoy continuity like Silver Quill enjoys continuity.

Hey there. Thanks very much for doing this story. This is an excellent AU version of the "Reflections" arc in the comics. The exchanges, emotional content, action and wrap-up were all well done in all the right places. And I appreciate your explanations FOR the alterations. Plus, I have to admit, I DO prefer Earn Your Happy Ending to Bittersweet Ending myself. At any rate, I will definitely be looking forward to more of your work as soon as time and inspiration will allow.

7158812 Thanks very much.

7158855 You are quite welcome.

This is a great story. I love the comics and this story brings it into a new light with all of the back story's, and all the detail:raritystarry:, This is a Great read.

7274425
7274452
7274454

Thanks very much! I can't take all of the credit, however - the comics and the show both gave me a solid foundation to work from.

7732312 Thanks! I even have an explanation as to why she didn't adopt him in the 'main' universe, but it's going to be a while yet before I reveal that bit of headcanon.

Will the anti-mane six actually play a role in this story?

7855958 No, they don't. There's brief mentions of them, but they don't actually appear.

I was able to find a place for the parallel versions of Trixie and Derpy, however.

I know I've said you deserved all the Favourites and Likes, but let me say this here and now Echo: you're a very talented and incredible writer. You put so much work into just this one story, adapting components that IDW used more fully to the concept, and we as your readers got a beautiful piece to read for it. Your time and effort are appreciated, and I for one will forever hold this version of Reflections close within my heart.
I guess I'm just a big ol' sap for "happily ever after" endings. XD Celestia/Sombra pairing was done great justice here, and I bow in respect to your craftsmanship of the writing craft.

8701428
Thank very much. I'm just glad that by the time I sat down to write this, IDW had given me a little bit more material to work from. Aside from allowing me to build upon what was already established and help to explain how the events in Good King Sombra's universe came to be, they also helped me to justify that happier ending. Not that I needed a lot of it - I like it when things are happily ever after too.

10813734
I wouldn’t be scared, but I probably would be curious.

Never heard that word before.

Which in celestia’s case is probably everywhere.

You do?

10815244
Ohh. Because, it say all but. Plus, how do you turn a cloud into ruins?

A little bit. Sometimes when someone is out on a pedestal I have the urge to either damage it a little bit or destroy it completely.

Does that actually exist or is it something you made up?

So there’s no such thing as a good umbrum?

I may have to go back and check.

Wow, I didn’t think I was right.

10815284
I’m sorry, your just making it so easy. Besides I’m not saying everytime, just when it involves something important.

I understand she’s frustrated, but there’s no need for hurtful words towards someone that’s giving you a warning.

Celestia and Luna are that powerful?

It was?

Would I have to read the comics to understand most of these stories?

Oh. That was a slip up?

Wow. I wonder what changed over the years?

10815738
Well, I like to think there were plenty of changes for the better.

10815387
They have the means to shape clouds, they have the means to break clouds up. I'd assume they can do the same thing to cities made of cloud.

It's something I saw in another author's stories, and no one's complained about me using it yet.

Not so far as the comics presented.

10815400
Celestia and Luna, according to some sources, are bonded to the sun and moon via their magic. That bond isn't going away any time soon, and it can't just be undone like them taking off a piece of jewelry. They'd have to give it up willingly, and that ain't happening right now.

No, I like to think that I include enough detail that people won't be confused.

Yes. They happen.

10816158
Ohh. I thought it meant that they didn’t forget. I’m not really used to hearing all but.

It not being entirely her fault I can definitely agree with.

10816177
Complained about using what?

Only willingly?

I hope so. Haven’t read many.

10816199
About the use of the expression 'cutie mitzvah'.

Giving up their powers willingly would be the easiest way to claim control of the sun and moon. Other methods could exist, but they wouldn't be pleasant.

I really enjoyed this story. Celestia x Sombra is really underrated. Also what’s the “gift” that Celestia mentions to Sombra?

11289759
You know, it's been so long since I wrote this, I'm not sure I remember. It was probably a way for them to keep in contact, something like the journal Sunset Shimmer had.

11290455
Ok. For a sec I thought Celestia was gonna say she was pregnant LOL

11290734
Oh no. My interpretation of Celestia isn't the sort to get pregnant out of wedlock, and besides, if she'd gotten it on with Sombra, the pregnancy would be long over by this point.

A question. Do I need to read all the stories to follow Sunset Shimmer? I mean, some of them, like with that author, and now this about Sombra, they are not about Sunshim.

11424900
No. Sunset appears properly in The Sun Also Rises, Six Nights (and a Day) With Sunset, Looking for Work in All the Right Places, Wherever You Find Love, A Shimmering New Year, and Many Happy Reunions, with a minor appearance in Legends of Magic. That latter story, however, doesn't focus on her.

Login or register to comment