• Published 3rd May 2015
  • 29,654 Views, 6,224 Comments

Another Hatchling - Tatsurou



On instructions from the Chozo, Samus raises a baby dragon brought to her possession by magical means.

  • ...
115
 6,224
 29,654

PreviousChapters Next
BSL: Close Escape

"You don't have to?" Luna asked curiously. "Whatever do you mean, Samus?"

"...later," Samus replied. "We're almost finished here. Let's get all the way to the end."

"Well, from the sound of it, it was setup the bomb and fly clear," Rainbow pointed out, having gotten free of the headlock while everyone had been stunned at Pinkie's revelation. "That's about it, right?"

"Can't be!" Scootaloo pointed out. "She's still purple!"

"Say again?" Apple Bloom asked, confused.

"After getting the Gravity Suit effect, her suit turned purple," Scootaloo explained. "So she had to have absorbed something else to turn her suit orange, so there must be something more!"

"There is still several years of time to cover," Sweetie Belle pointed out.

Scootaloo frowned. "Oh...hadn't thought of that..."

"Actually, you're right," Spike spoke up. "We did have one more obstacle to deal with on the way out of BSL. After altering the station's orbit and starting the destruct sequence, we started racing for the ship...only to receive a signal that the ship was under attack, and Melissa had activated it to move out of the station to escape the attack. And when we got there..."


The last hallway to the docking bay was violently torn up, as though something had clawed and chewed its way through the material, like it was searching for something, or desperate to try and stop something. It looked a bit like the damage from Spike's first teething, but scaled up immensely. Unnerved, Samus and Spike continued into the docking bay...where they spotted the largest of the broken open Metroid cocoons.

At that moment, the far wall of the docking bay broke open and an Omega Metroid broke through, landing atop the cocoon and crushing it beneath its hind claws. It let out a roaring shriek.

It hurts...it HURTS!

It continued to rampage, smashing itself against everything in sight and clawing at the walls, pain maddened beyond reason. Samus sighed sadly. "There's only one thing we can do..." she muttered softly.

"Yeah," Spike confirmed sadly. "Besides, the ship can't pick us up as long as it's rampaging in here." Opening his mouth, he exhaled a stream of ice breath...only for it to bounce off the Omega's claws.

You're hurting me! it shrieked out, swiping at them both, its claws tearing through armor and scales as it knocked them back.

"Aah!" Spike shrieked in pain, clutching at the new gashes even as they started to heal.

Samus slammed into the ground nearby, clenching her teeth in pain. "S-Spike!" she called out, trying to get to her feet.

Alert: Power Suit Integrity failure! Atmosphere failure!

Samus cursed under her breath, clutching at the hole in her armor to keep her air from leaking out too much, unable to move to protect Spike.

It hurts! the Omega shrieked out in pain again.

Samus jerked her head up as she heard the strange signal - the one from the SA-X - again, this time sounding infuriated. The blue X Core floated in, settling down between Spike and the Omega Metroid before once more turning into the SA-X. As the Omega approached Spike, the SA-X unleashed a barrage of ice beam shots straight into its belly, the Plasma effect allowing the beam to pierce the hard shell. The Omega let out screams of pain until it took a swipe, knocking the SA-X back and forcing it to revert to an X Core. The signal came again, this one pleading, as the X Core floated over to above Samus.

Steeling herself, Samus leapt up, absorbing the X Core.

Armor Integrity Restored.
Ice Beam Functionality Restored.
Dragon Auto-Fire...Adapted.
Auto-Fired Ice Beam will cause Crystalization within the target.

"Get away from my son!" Samus roared out, her furious tone exactly matching the tone of the signal the SA-X had sent as it had come to their rescue. Lifting her arm cannon, Samus opened fire, pointing straight into the Metroid's underbelly. The twining streams of ice that erupted from her cannon, slamming the Omega against the wall as its body slowly froze from the inside.

As the light started to fade from the Omega's eyes, it let out a final skree.

Pain's...gone...thank you...

As the Omega crumbled away, Samus' ship flew in. Spike and Samus immediately leapt inside, letting the ship take them away from the station as it entered SR388's atmosphere.

As they flew away alongside Melissa's Luminoth fighter craft, they watched the station and planet explode, all the X wiped out at once. Samus and Spike both felt a strange sense of relief, as though a weight upon their very souls they weren't even aware of had been removed. Samus took the controls and opened communications. "Mission complete," she told Adam.

"Good work, Samus," Adam congratulated. "The ones in charge of the station can no longer get their hands on any X."

"But they still get away with it," Spike grumbled. "They're the same ones behind the Bottleship, and again they get away with everything!"

"Not quite," Melissa spoke up. "I was able to download everything off the station's files once the security went down with the jettisoning of the Restricted Sector. Names, dates, signatures...enough to nail them to the wall for everything. Every last detail."

"So what are you going to do with it?" Samus asked. "Hand it over to Dane to prosecute them?"

"No," Melissa countered. "There's too much here. The very act of giving him the information will put him in danger. They'd have Deleters dispatched by the time we landed."

"Then what is your plan?" Ghor asked curiously.

"The Federation's new instantaneous communications network isn't as secure as they'd like to believe," Melissa replied cryptically. Hooking into the network, she typed in an instant message with, leaving the 'To' field blank.

Jane, I need a favor...


"I don't know what Melissa did," Adam concluded, "but the very next morning, all the information from BSL appeared simultaneously on every computer system in the entire Federation. Personal computers, media outlets, government units...all at once, and with no source code to say where it came from."

"At that point, the Federation cracked down hard on those responsible," Ghor added. "Because in addition to information about bio-weapons research - which was illegal - the information revealed that BSL's primary purpose was, indeed, to develop weapons specifically to kill Spike, on the off chance he became an enemy of the Federation. With how popular Samus and Spike were with the general populace for everything they'd done..."

"It began to look like a witch hunt," Anthony added. "The public had the names, and they wanted blood. The Federation actually hired Samus and Spike to carry out the arrests of the guilty parties and transporting them to the trials, as the only ones the public wouldn't tear through to get at them."

"I found it oddly cathartic that the ones we were bringing in knew that all we had to do was step back, and the mob would descend upon them," Spike murmured softly. "Knowing the only reason they made it to the trial in one piece was because we were more honorable than they."

PreviousChapters Next