• Published 3rd May 2015
  • 29,644 Views, 6,224 Comments

Another Hatchling - Tatsurou



On instructions from the Chozo, Samus raises a baby dragon brought to her possession by magical means.

  • ...
115
 6,224
 29,644

PreviousChapters Next
The Last Adventure: K2L

"Why K2L?" Twilight asked curiously. "I mean, after what happened last time you were there..." Her voice trailed off, not wanting to bring up those painful memories for Samus.

"Exactly," Samus replied. "In essence, dealing with my new draconic aspects, I was restarting my Chozo training from the beginning. And if you're going back to the beginning, you might as well go back to the beginning." She shrugged her shoulders. "Besides, Zebes didn't exist anymore at that point. Stupid Space Pirates hooking Mother Brain directly to geothermal power of the planet's core causing a cascading meltdown when she was destroyed..."

"Oh, is that what caused that?" Twilight asked eagerly. "Fascinating!" Several around the table giggled at that.

Samus chuckled softly. "Yes, that's what caused it. But that's neither here nor there for now." As all attention returned to her, she sighed contemplatively. "Going back to K2L was...difficult for me, since the Federation hadn't touched the place since the Space Pirates decimated the colony. Time and weather had extinguished the flames, but the scars of that battle were still there...and I still remembered every single one. I...even went to where I'd hid from Ridley when he killed my parents. It showed no signs of being touched since."

"It felt...weird, for me," Spike admitted. "I'd never been there, but I could feel the emotional impressions left behind, untouched for so long. It...it was like walking through a memory. Or a nightmare."

"The really hard part, though, was when I came across an area that did show signs of change," Samus began. "At first, I wasn't sure what to think..."


Samus stared as she approached the area of thriving vegetation amongst the ruins of the colony. The trees arched protectively over a shaded path where the battle damage had been cleaned up, providing the exact amount of room for Samus and Spike to walk down the path together. Small critters raced amongst the trees and bushes lining the path, watching them carefully as they resided in an almost unnatural peace with each other. Bird song, normally high-pitched and happy, was muted and somber, as though the birds were singing someone to their rest, as though trained to sing a soft funeral march.

As the pair reached the end of the path, they came to a large clearing with two large tombstones surmounting the center. The first thing Samus noticed about them was that, despite the design following human tradition, the stonework itself was Chozo. The two tombstones were linked at the base, plainly meant to show they stood over a joined pair. Though Samus did not recognize the first name written on each tombstone, the family name on each stood out in stark clarity.

Aran.

Upon the left tombstone was written 'loving father'. The right bore the inscription 'loving mother'. Both bore the final inscription, 'Offered his/her life up to save his/her daughter. May his/her sacrifice never be forgotten. May young Samus ever stand as a testament to this sacrifice, for the safety of all life.'

Samus sank to her knees as she stared at the twin graves, tears in her eyes. "They...they gave them graves," she murmured softly, struggling against the onslaught of emotion. "I...I never knew...Mom...Dad..."

Curious, Spike approached the gravestones closer, and noticed something. "Mom...there's something written here where the bases are joined," he pointed out. "It looks like the Chozo Script we saw on Tallon IV, but I think it's a different dialect or something..."

Samus joined him once she got herself under control. "The text on Tallon IV was a very old dialect," she explained. "Those inscriptions were eons old. But this...this is the modern Zebesian dialect of Chozo text. I...I grew up reading this."

"What does it say?" Spike asked curiously.

"It says...'We rest eternally with them, our Hatchlings. We have awaited the time you would return to us, to free you from your last pain. Join us, and welcome'."

As Samus finished reading, the ground beneath their feet began to shake. The pair quickly pulled back as the ground descended slowly, bit by bit, until a deep staircase descended into the earth beneath them.

"Doo do doo, doo do doo~!" Spike hummed softly, only to get smacked upside the head by Samus.

The pair slowly made their way down the spiral staircase, past stonework that absolutely couldn't be mistaken for anything but Chozo work. The stone flowed organically, and tamed bioluminescent plant life provided illumination as they went. When they reached the bottom, however, Samus froze, staring in awe.

It was plainly an entrance to a Chozo Temple, but it was not Chozo imagery that greeted them as they approached the door. Instead, perfectly carved statues of Samus' parents as they'd been when the Chozo first visited K2L stood side by side before the great door, each smiling welcomingly, lovingly at the pair as they approached, the expertise of Chozo carving making it look less like a lifeless imitation and more like a captured frozen moment of living time. Samus could only stare in awe as she approached, reaching forward with both suited hands to take her parents' outstretched ones, almost believing that in doing so, they would step off their pedestals to embrace her. While that did not happen, she felt the warmth of their embrace around her, as taking the hands called back to her the almost lost memory of their embrace from before they were lost.

As she stood there in that warmth, the far doors opened, revealing two Chozo Statues that looked almost brand new as compared to any others she had seen. The stonework and circuitry couldn't even be as old as she was, it still shone as though pristine from the quarry. The jeweled eyes stared out at the pair warmly, and the voices of the Statues sounded clearly in both their minds. Hatchlings...welcome.

Samus stared in shock. She knew those voices far too well to ever mistake them. "O-Old Bird? G-Grey Voice?"

When we saw in the future what would become of you, we prepared this place for you, Grey Voice explained.

We had already returned to pay proper tribute to your parents, and knew it would be where you came when you needed us, and we were no longer here, Old Bird added.

We built these statues to house our souls, when our physical bodies ceased to be, Grey Voice continued. It was our doing that made you what you are, Hatchling. We take it as our duty to remain on this plane, until your need of us has ended.

Your need of us is great, Hatchlings, Old Bird continued. Both of you.

Spike, Grey Voice called, you are haunted by dreams of your life before you found your way through time to Samus. Come, meditate with me, that we might find the answers you desperately need.

Nodding, Spike approached the Statue of Grey Voice, shrinking down so he could curl up in a ball in the Chozo Elder's grip.

Samus, Old Bird called gently, your Metroid and Dragon instincts scream loud in your mind, and you are torn within your soul. Come, meditate with me, that we might aid you in coming to peace with your inner Dragon, that you might once more be whole.

Samus smiled as she curled up in Morph Ball, bouncing into the outstretched hands.

PreviousChapters Next