• Published 3rd May 2015
  • 29,631 Views, 6,224 Comments

Another Hatchling - Tatsurou



On instructions from the Chozo, Samus raises a baby dragon brought to her possession by magical means.

  • ...
115
 6,224
 29,631

PreviousChapters Next
Corruption: Olympus part 1

The Welcome Party lasted the entire rest of the day, and Twilight was happy to put their new visitors up in her Crystal Castle/Library home. By sunrise, however, she was ready to throw Ghor out, as she couldn't leave him unsupervised in the library for more than five minutes before he started trying to 'collect samples' again. While she was happy to meet someone who was so dedicated to study and learning from another world, it wasn't just the castle's structure of living crystal that he tried to take study samples from. She tried to be understanding, since she could get the same way in her own studies...but she drew the line at waking up to find him brushing her mane while she slept with an attachment to his arm 'to collect dandruff samples'. She did not have dandruff!

Twilight wasn't the only one who looked like they didn't get much sleep the previous night. Rainbow and Applejack both looked hungover, and Rundus looked smug. At some point during the party, they had engaged in a drinking contest, which Rundus had won with ease. Rarity looked somewhat put out, claiming the loud noise from that 'contest' had interrupted her beauty sleep...although her eyes were on Gandrayda. Since Spike had shrunk down to be smaller than the Crusaders and hidden in amongst the roots of the chandelier, Twilight privately suspected Rarity's lack of sleep had been trying to keep Spike and the energy alien apart all night.

Samus herself looked none the worse for the night of partying, and the Crusaders were happily eating their breakfast alongside Pinkie, Fluttershy, Celestia, and Luna. Discord hadn't stopped laughing the entire night, and didn't look like he needed any sleep.

"So, will we begin telling the story now?" Ghor asked curiously. "There is quite a bit to go over."

"Four planets, three spaceships, and a grand finale," Rundus added mildly.

"Should kill a few days," Gandrayda agreed as she leaned back, arching her back as she stretched.

Samus rolled her eyes. "Well...if everyone's ready..." With nods all around, she continued. "It began with the summons to the Kalandor Region of space, and the GFS Olympus, in orbit around Planet Norion..."


Once the ship landed in the Olympus' docking bay, Samus and Spike stepped off the ship, walking side by side towards the waiting GF Soldiers. One of them greeted them warmly. "Samus, Spike, welcome aboard the flagship GFS Olympus. Admiral Dane is waiting for you in the briefing room. I will upload the location to you now."

Both of them nodded in response as the coordinates of the briefing room were uploaded to their suits' map systems. As they progressed, Samus couldn't help but chuckle as Spike looked around eagerly, enjoying his reactions to his first time aboard a Federation battle ship. To the right of the docking station was a target practice course, involving shooting a training drone as many times as you could in the air without letting it fall to the ground. Spike attempted it, but one burst of his breath melted the drone without launching it. Spike proceeded to pout all the way through the next door, only to get distracted by other things.

As they progressed, they had to wait outside the contamination scanner, since Ghor was going through the procedure ahead of them.


"I must apologize for my rudeness that day," Ghor spoke up at table. "I'd had a rough past few months, and it rubbed me the wrong way that the troops were treating me like a moron. I did design this body for myself after losing my original one, after all. I know my way around technology."

"It's no problem," Samus replied with a shrug. "Pretty sure we were all under a bit of stress that day."

"Not all," Rundus growled, glowering at Gandrayda, who merely rolled her eyes.

Samus shook her head. "At any rate, nothing really interesting there...except when it was Spike's turn in the scanner..."


"What do you mean there's a problem?" Samus demanded of the techs as Spike stood patiently in the chamber.

"We can't seem to scan him," the tech replied. "All the data coming from the scanners makes no sense. It's claiming there's some sort of gravimetric distortion in his body, and that's impossible!"

Samus took a closer look at the scans. "...oh. So that's how it works."

"Excuse me?" the tech demanded.

"Spike's adapted for a 20G planet," Samus explained. "His armor's designed to limit his physical capabilities in lower G environments so he doesn't break things - or people - accidentally. That's what you're picking up."

After that, Spike was cleared for the command bridge rather quickly, with the techs gaping at him. Smirking, he idly flexed his arm, making them duck under their consoles.


"I gotta admit," Spike called from his perch in the chandelier, "I probably had too much fun with that."

Several of the listeners chuckled, though it turned to genuine laughter when Gandrayda sent him a flirtatious smirk that had him hiding in the chandelier again.

"Gandrayda," Samus chided gently.

"I can't help it!" she replied. "He's just too adorable!"

Rolling her eyes, Samus continued her tale.


As Samus and Spike entered the command bridge, they found several people waiting for them. Admiral Dane was a middle aged soldier in full uniform, with a no-nonsense air about him. Lined up alongside where Samus and Spike had walked in were Rundus, Ghor, and...Samus?

"Gandrayda, enough!" Admiral Dane barked as Rundus and Ghor glanced back and forth between the two Samuses in confusion. The one to the far right reverted to Gandrayda in a flash of light as she giggled.

Spike, for his part, chuckled as well, shooting Gandrayda a thumbs up behind the backs of the other Hunters. Catching sight of it, Gandrayda smiled and sent him a wink.

Admiral Dane began the debriefing. "Looks like everyone's here now," he stated bluntly. "Before I begin the briefing, let me introduce 242, the flagship's Aurora Unit."


"Auroroa Unit?" Twilight asked curiously.

"Biological supercomputers," Ghor explained. "They are based off living brains, and can thus process data in ways simple electronics cannot handle, even making intuitive leaps of logic. The biological component actually proved an unexpected advantage, as the system was able to react to damage in ways above and beyond simple status reports, able to act to preserve ship and crew beyond what a standard computer could do."

"All well and good," Samus grumbled, "but they gave me the creeps. Reminded me too much of Mother Brain."

"Mother Brain?" Celestia inquired.

"The Space Pirates bio-supercomputer," Samus explained. "A giant brain that controlled everything with powerful telepathic abilities. Not pleasant. Fought the thing on Zebes shortly before I found Spike's egg."

"Can we skip over the actual briefing?" Spike asked plaintively. "It was rather boring. Couldn't we just sum up the highlights?"

"Well..."

"The Aurora network was down due to viral infection," Gandryada explained quickly. "A vaccine had been developed, but it needed to be administered to each Aurora Unit in person, but the virus was Space Pirate origin, due to them having captured another vessel, the GFS Valhalla, and its Aurora Unit. Since the Feds were worried about further Pirate attack, they called in Hunters with records of thwarting the Pirates to do it. That was us."

"Succinct and to the point," Ghor complimented. "I didn't know you could be so efficient."

"We were also to investigate Pirate activity in the area while we did so," Samus added. "Of course, the need for that was quickly discarded when the Pirates attacked the Olympus and planet Norion..."

PreviousChapters Next