• Published 3rd May 2015
  • 29,620 Views, 6,224 Comments

Another Hatchling - Tatsurou



On instructions from the Chozo, Samus raises a baby dragon brought to her possession by magical means.

  • ...
115
 6,224
 29,620

PreviousChapters Next
Corruption: Corruption

"What happened?" Twilight asked worriedly. "From the sound of it, killing you wasn't Dark Samus' intent...and that's worrisome."

"Agreed," Rundus confirmed. "What actually happened was that Dark Samus planted a Phazon Seed inside each of us, close to our cores, where it would be difficult to extract or purge. The seed then started pumping low levels of Phazon into our systems."

"Long term, that would have been bad," Gandrayda explained. "But in the short term, the Fed's scientists saw it as an opportunity, by equipping each of us with modified PED suits, designed to draw from the Phazon our bodies now naturally generated to power them."

"But wouldn't that just accelerate the rate at which the Phazon corrupted your body?" Rainbow asked in confusion. "Like with the Pirate Phazon Elites?"

The Hunters all stared at the prismatic pegasus for a time. Ghor was the first to speak up. "Correct me if I'm wrong, Spike...but isn't the purple one the genius of the group?"

"Each of them has their own genius, actually," Spike corrected. "But you're right that Rainbow tends to prefer action over book learning. Why?"

"I'm just wondering how she caught what the Federation's scientists missed when this world's science is nearly a millenium behind," Ghor clarified.

"To make a long story short, Rainbow," Rundus continued before she could parse the sentences enough to take offense, "that's exactly what happened to myself, Ghor, and Gandrayda...and probably was Dark Samus' plan all along."

"But she didn't account for Spike," Gandrayda clarified with a smirk.

"Why?" Twilight asked. "What happened to him? I know his body automatically metabolizes Phazon..."

Spike chuckled. "This mission is where my breath started working like Mom's Arm Cannon."

Seeing even more confused expressions, Samus waved her hand to gather attention. "Let me explain. See, after the hit, Rundus, Ghor, and Gandrayda all regained consciousness within a week. Spike woke up around the same time, but stayed onboard the Olympus to wait for me to wake up."

"Mostly because they wouldn't let him take your ship out without a Pilot's License," Rundus teased, getting a dragon raspberry blown his way, startling laughter from many of the listeners.

Samus smiled as she continued. "For me, however, it took a full month to wake up. And after getting an explanation of how my new PED suit enabled a Hyper Mode function by injecting an Energy Tank - as well as testing it out - I got some answers about what it had done to Spike..."


"So is Spike now generating his own Phazon, too?" Samus asked the tech as she was led out of the lab.

"Not...exactly," the tech replied nervously. "As best as we can tell based on the reports we've received about his past physical examinations from Ceres, he's...developed a new gland."

"A new gland?" Samus asked. "What, in his gut or something?"

"No, amongst his flame sacs," the tech clarified. "The exact nature through which he generates his flames still isn't completely analyzed, but all the glands and organs involved had already been identified. There's a new gland connected to the system, and it uses energy to convert his flame into...something else."

"Something else?" Samus asked. "Stop beating around the bush and tell it to me straight."

Shrugging, the tech gestured to a vid screen. A video file played, showing Spike facing of against a pillar energized by Phazon. In the screen, Spike took a deep breath and opened his mouth wide.

A flowing blue and white stream similar to Samus' own charged Phazon Beam erupted from his mouth, tearing through the Phazon and the column as though it were made of tissue paper. It deflected off the wall behind the pillar with no damage, however.

"...that wasn't Phazon," Samus pointed out.

"No," the tech agreed. "Phazon energy would have torn right through the far wall, too, at those energy levels. From what we've been able to determine, however, it's an energy that functions similarly to the energy harvested from processed Phazon, but on the opposite wavelength. From what we've been able to determine, it has an...antithetical nature to Phazon and anything making use of Phazon energy. We've taken to referring to this new energy - and the gland that produces it - as Fazite."

Samus nodded carefully as she took this all in. "So...what exactly does this...Fazite do?"

"As we've noted, it has an antithetical effect on Phazon and Phazon users," the tech explained. "When used against a material composed of Phazon, it will tear right through it, destroying its molecular structure. It will have a similar effect on any organic lifeform actively using Phazon, like through the Hypermode of a PED of Federation or Pirate origin."

"I'll make sure not to stand in front of him, then," Samus muttered dryly.

"You only need to worry about it if you're actively in Hypermode," the tech clarified. "At any other time, the Fazite will have no effect on your Power Suit."

"Good to know," Samus allowed, "but I'm still not standing in front of him until I'm not generating Phazon anymore."


"After that, I was reunited with Spike, and we went to get a mission briefing from the ship's Aurora Unit," Samus concluded.

"So, what was Spike doing for the three weeks he was awake and you weren't?" Pinkie asked curiously.

"Researching the condition," Spike explained. "At first in the hope of fixing Mom...but as we lost contact with Rundus, Ghor, and Gandrayda, to figure out exactly how it worked. And a good thing I did. That knowledge saved their lives..."

PreviousChapters Next