• Published 3rd May 2015
  • 29,623 Views, 6,224 Comments

Another Hatchling - Tatsurou



On instructions from the Chozo, Samus raises a baby dragon brought to her possession by magical means.

  • ...
115
 6,224
 29,623

PreviousChapters Next
Aether: Honor

The ponies were all staring at Samus and Spike in shock after hearing their description of events. "W...what was that?" Twilight finally demanded.

"From the sound of it, it was a dimensional rift of some sort," Discord explained. "A naturally occuring version of those mirror portals you and Sunbutt are so fond of." He cackled briefly as both Twilight and Celestia looked away. "Though from the sound of this one, it connected to a dimension that was inimical to life as we know it. Anything adapted to our dimension would probably die a slow, painful death just from being in that dimension, and vice versa."

"More or less," Samus confirmed. "The Ing native to that world - Dark Aether - couldn't manifest physically in Aether without possessing a host of some sort, and without proper shielding, even the air of Dark Aether was lethal to us. Spike was barely functional after that brief jaunt, and the slightest brush against any of the open sores left by his exposure to Dark Aether's atmosphere caused him intense pain and nausea."

"It's why draconic adaption is a double edged sword," Spike explained. "Given enough internal energy, a dragon can adapt to any environment...if the adaption process doesn't kill them. Unfortunately, the amount of energy a lot of those adaptions require lends heavy weight to the latter being the actual outcome."

"Except when Phazon's involved?" Rainbow asked.

"Yeah," Spike chuckled. "Except with Phazon."

"Of course, we didn't figure all that out right away," Samus explained. "At that point, my priority was finding any sort of base, Federation or otherwise, and raiding any medical supplies they had to bandage Spike..."


Moving forward, Samus was relieved to find a remote upload point shortly afterwards. It was easy enough to uplink it to her ship, and use it to restore her suit's energy. Much to her frustration, however, it could do nothing for Spike's injuries. His groans of pain terrified her. Before his growth spurts on Tallon IV, she had thought of him as one she needed to protect, but otherwise rather tough. After his growth spurts, she saw the mighty beast inside, easily capable of taking care of itself in most situations. Even when he'd knocked over the buildings, that was just him not knowing his own strength. But to see him like this, struggling just to keep breathing and keep his eyes open, she felt like she was tearing herself apart every time a speck of dust found its way into one of his sores.

Taking an elevator, Samus found that they were just down the passageway from the door requiring a new translator program, beyond another door requiring the same. She growled in frustration at the ship being so close but so far. There were more than enough medical supplies on board ship for Spike to dress up as a mummy dragon for Halloween five times over! Turning, she carefully led Spike along the other path, thankfully into the open air where he was in less danger of dirt getting into his injuries.

At first, Samus thought she might have Spike eat either some of the Splinters - despite the bad taste - or a Green Kralee she spotted, but even the attempt to swallow something caused Spike to hack it up, along with more black tinted blood. Apparently, breathing in the air on the other side of the rift had done a great deal of damage to his throat, and possibly his lungs and who knew what else.

Seeing a Temple off in the distance, Samus decided to make that their destination. It was either a Temple of a native species, or of Chozo origin. Either way, it was likely to have some sort of tech she could cannibalize. If it was native, her Chozo computer could find a way to make use of it. If it was Chozo, they'd probably left her a Heal Beam specifically for the damage Spike would take in that other world.


"Heal Beam?" Celestia asked in her most deadpan voice. "Seriously?"

"I wouldn't have put it past them," Samus replied bluntly. "It certainly wouldn't be the strangest or most obscure Chozo upgrade I've ever found."

"Would probably be great in the video game adaption for co-op campaigns," Rainbow muttered, still taking her 'video game adventure' notes from the story, once more causing Pinkie and Discord to giggle.

"You, um...you did find a way to heal Spike, didn't you?" Fluttershy asked worriedly.

Samus stared at the yellow pony for a time, then turned to look at Spike, who smirked sheepishly. Fluttershy blushed, hiding in her mane. "At any rate..." Samus went on.


Continuing onward carefully, Samus found a control panel for a satellite distress beacon. She attempted to activate it, both to get word of what happened to the Troopers to the Federation, and in the hopes that backup might bring some medicine for Spike. Unfortunately, the signal couldn't get through the atmospheric conditions, and she was forced to continue on towards the Temple, hope pushing her steps.

As she continued to lead the way, she actually witnessed the possession of various things by the creatures from the other side of the rift, as black ooze flowed into the Trooper corpses, and black smog was absorbed into the Splinters, in both cases amplifying combat capabilities and changing other details.

It was shortly before her first witnessing of the possession of the Splinters - converting them into Dark Splinters - that she found the remnants of the G.F.S. Tyr and final proof that the Troopers she was sent to help were all dead. Much to her chagrin, there was nothing left in the ship itself worth salvaging, save a replacement missile launcher and map data for the region. Thankfully, the bulk of it did make a good place for Spike to hide in while she took out the Dark Splinters that attacked.


"Question!" Pinkie Pie called out.

"Yes?" Samus asked, a little perturbed by the untimely interruption.

"How come the Federation Troopers and Space Pirates function so well on 20G planets like Aether?" she asked. "You seemed to be indicating that only you and Spike were adapted to high gravity worlds like that."

"The standard Trooper armor includes gravitational dampening circuitry," Samus explained. "It doesn't do much for acrobatics, but it allows them to function on high gravity worlds normally without suffering organ or musculature compression. And the Pirates use a lot of stolen technology, including Chozo, and many of their planetary bases are high gravity worlds. Their home world is actually 40Gs, which drastically reduces the maneuverability of ships and troops, which added another layer of protection for them on top of its location being top secret, and having a state of the art anti-air defense grid."

"You blow the whole place to Tartarus, don't you?" Luna asked insightfully.

Samus held up Pinkie's 'Spoilers' sign, making the pink pony giggle, before continuing her tale.


Further progress towards the Temple resulted in Samus collecting the last of the Trooper logbooks, the first sighting of a native in the form of a Luminoth corpse, and further signs of the deterioration of Spike's health. She prayed to the Chozo Spirits that something would be left that she could use to heal Spike. She couldn't lose him...she couldn't.

Partway into the Temple, a security field activated, trapping Samus in a circular area along with several Splinters which soon became possessed. She was actually glad Spike was outside the field. He didn't even have the energy now to try and break through.

When the largest cocoon up above burst open and the Alpha Splinter broke free, she braced herself for the fight. She was rather unsurprised when it, too, became possessed by a dark fog. However, she was too experienced - and too determined - to be slowed for long. Despite taking some bad damage, she had it down and dusted within a couple minutes.

After the defeat of the Dark Alpha Splinter, a glowing white sphere was released. It rapidly bonded with Samus' power suit, though the tech couldn't be analyzed right away. Still, it caused no problems with her suit, and the pathway up into the main part of the Temple opened. Shrugging her shoulders, she beckoned Spike to follow her up. When he struggled to comply, she moved to help him.

Reaching the center of the Temple up above, she saw a massive energy storage unit suspended from the open ceiling, hanging over some sort of control device beneath that stood taller than her and wider than Spike was long. Before she could take in much more beyond that - besides the construction seeming both ancient in style and brand new - her attention was captured by a living Luminoth.

His body was somewhat insectoid in appearance, slightly reminiscent in shape of a wingless dragonfly with only four limbs. His body was a mix of brown and red, with white fur on his chest, and antenna like ears waving atop his head. His limbs were quite thin, and from a purely visual perspective he seemed frail. However, Samus could feel the immense energy abilities the figure possessed, even before she saw him float as though it were nothing.

"Do not be afraid," he said in Chozo, though his sentence structure was more formal than Samus was used to, and his accent was slightly strong. "I am U-Mos, Sentinel of the Luminoth. Though I would wish to tell you the grim tale of my world's fate, we both have more immediate concerns. Your companion is dying of Dark Aether poisoning. I must work fast if I am to save him, and I will need your help."

"If you can save my son, I'll do anything," Samus replied fervently, also in Chozo, though her speech was somewhat stilted.

Nodding, U-Mos beckoned her close as he floated to Spike's side, white-yellow light pouring from his hands and into the wounds.


"Mom...you didn't," Spike breathed in shock.

"I meant every word, Spike," she replied simply, her voice completely serious.

Everyone glanced back and forth between Samus and Spike. "Umm...are we missing something?" Twilight asked.

"The literal translation of what she said in Chozo is, 'For this, I give you my life'," Spike explained. "She literally offered up her life in exchange for my own."

"As I said," Samus repeated as the others gasped in shock, "I meant every word."

Twilight looked up at Samus in awe. She'd seen Samus' softer side in the videos Spike had shown them, and had known she was a wise and brave warrior. But seeing her dedication like this - how readily she offered her own life in exchange for Spike's...

Noticing Pinkie staring at her, Twilight determinedly bit her lip before anything embarrassing could escape.

"So..." Luna began. "What did U-Mos ask of you in exchange for saving Spike?"

Samus chuckled. "He actually claimed there was no debt owed, that if he could save one more life from the ravages of the Ing, it was an act worth doing for its own sake. When I insisted, he said I could pay him back by saving his world."

"Like we weren't going to do that anyway," Spike countered, rolling his eyes.

PreviousChapters Next