• Published 19th Oct 2014
  • 549 Views, 5 Comments

Lunam Subriden - WezaQ



I thought it would be just another boring night of court beside Her Majesty. I was pleasantly surprised.

  • ...
0
 5
 549

Court of the Moon.

Lunam Subriden

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“We have built our history upon facts! One of which you just decided to change. We demand that you fix this at once!”

The griffon delegate stood resolutely. His feathers perked up like a cat trying to intimidate a much larger dog. His stance defiant and authoritative, as if he was speaking for all of the griffon lands instead of just his much smaller province. If I had not been raised beside the court I would be surprised at his audacity in making such demands of a princess of Equestria. But I knew griffons were nothing if not stubborn when it came to change.

They refused to change trade routes, even when better paths were presented. They demanded schedules be kept, even if it meant fighting against a storm strong enough to break granite. I heard that once they even went so far as to force a group of zebra shaman on a pilgrimage to travel several weeks out of their way, simply because their intended path would have taken them through an area set aside for construction a few months later, and the locals were concerned there might have to be a change to the plans if any strange zebra magic took place there prior to groundbreaking.

The hall was silent as Her Majesty looked down at the griffon with an air of resignation. It was as if she knew such ridiculous claims would come and had decided she would weather them, no matter how much time they wasted. I was glad I could help, but sometimes I wish I could make this easier for her.

“And what, pray tell, would you have us do?”

The griffon smirked before responding as if he was speaking to someone who wasn't smart enough to see the obviousness of what had to be done, “Simple, Your Highness, you put it back the way it was.”

Once again the silence stretched before Her Majesty closed her eyes, exhaled slowly, and responded with the boredom of suffering too many fools in the last few hours. “Is that all? We should, simply, return it to it's previous form? Much like the turning back of a page in a book? You do realize we are speaking of the moon, do you not? Our moon.”

The griffon's gaze hardened as he drew breathe for his retort, “You may be the steward of the moon, but in actuality it does not belong to you. My people should not be required to change our all of our legends to accommodate a cosmetic change when it is much simpler to return it to the way it was.”

I felt the room grow colder as Her Majesty's eyes formed a glare and her mane began to flap just a bit faster, as though the unfelt breeze which moved it had grown sharper with her anger.

“'cosmetic change'... Dost thou have even the slightest clue what thou art speaking of? The 'cosmetic change' as thou calls it, is the visual disappearance of our own incorporeal form from the very magical fabric of the moon. Even were we inclined to humor such a patently ridiculous idea, 'twould only be possible if we returned to our banishment for another thousand years! Is that, what thou art suggesting?”

I winced as Her Majesty lost herself in her old ways of speaking. She hated doing that, but sometimes emotions bring out old habits, and this griffon had obviously pressed the wrong buttons.

He swallowed before responding, though now with a bit more of a bargaining edge to his voice. “Well, maybe not you yourself, Your Highness, but perhaps another could sent in your place? Maybe a criminal or some such? As long as it is a female unicorn with similar features I'm sure it would look fine.”

I watched her stare at him for a moment longer than necessary to form a response. The ridiculousness of his idea plain for all those present except himself.

“We, meaning Equestria, shall not imprison somepony within the moon, for a thousand years, just to placate those who do not appreciate it's unblemished beauty. It originally was this way, it was always meant to be this way, and it will remain this way, now and going forward. Find a way to reconcile thine stories with the truth the moon's current state, or simply invent new ones, We care not. Do not, however, return here to darken these halls with such asinine requests, or mayhap the world will need to adjust to the sight of a griffon's profile upon our moon. Now leave!”

I admit, it was hard to keep from laughing as the proud griffon attempted to confidently stalk out the throne room, with his tail between his legs. I checked a nearby clock as the doors closed behind him, it was nearly midnight, meaning court would end soon. Before either myself or the Her Majesty could pause for too long, however, the doors pushed open again to admit the head of the royal herald, who immediately zeroed in on Her Majesty and cleared his throat.

“Yes Far Cry?” she asked. The hope for news instead of another court attendee quite obvious in her tone.

“Your Majesty, there there is only one more waiting to see you, shall I send her in?”

If it had been a noble Far cry would have mentioned their house. Likewise, if they were famous enough he would have mentioned their name upfront. That meant it was a common citizen who must have been waiting for several hours now to speak with Her Majesty. Hopefully it was a simple request, as she seemed quite tired of having to indulge in frivolous demands.

Her Majesty took a deep breath and stretched her wings before adjusting them with a small sigh and smoothing out the anger from her face. “Very well, but if any others show, inform them we are done for the evening.”

“As you wish, Your Majesty.” came Far Cry's response with a bow before he disappeared.

Before long a very young mare, perhaps no more than sixteen or seventeen, stepped through the door with her head and neck low. As I watched her move nervously towards the throne, seeing her soft teal eyes dart every few moments to one of the motionless guards or a ceiling-high stained glass window, I noticed her muscles tensing and untensing beneath her pale sandy coat with each step. Her fairly short brownish-orange mane tied back into a simple bun, but rather messily, as though this was her first time wearing it that way and she had set it herself.

After a small eternity she reached what she felt was close enough, though still quite far by most courtiers' standards, and bowed deeply before Her Majesty, staying low until called upon by her ruler.

“Rise.”

She flinched at the word, but complied readily, still a bundle of frayed nerves and barely contained panic. Her eyes never leaving the tiles below her forehooves.

“What is your name?”

“I-I-” She swallowed again, attempting to settle herself as much as possible before responding. “M-my, name is, C-Copper Sea, P-P-Princess.”

I looked to Her Majesty to gauge her reaction, seeing an eyebrow raised out of curiosity and a small frown. “And why, pray tell, have you come before us this evening Copper Sea?”

Again she hesitated to gain the courage to address one of her sovereigns. “I, uh... that is... I, um... well... I mean... I-”

“Hold.”

Copper Sea flinched at the interruption; quickly ducking her head lower and squeezing her eyes shut, as though expecting a harsh punishment for wasting Her Majesty's time.

“Please, take a moment, and tell me your concerns.” Her Majesty said in a calming voice, a gentle smile on her lips. “I promise, you are in no danger here. Speak, and ease your burden. We cannot help until we know what problem ails you and yours.”

The young mare opened her eyes and slowly raised her head, though not her neck, to look about the room warily. Her eyes found me, and I gave her a smile and a small nod of encouragement; far more than is proper, but I felt it necessary none the less. It seemed to work, for as she took a few breathes I could see the tension ease, but not vanish, from her frame, as her neck began to rise to look directly at the still smiling face of Her Majesty.

“I... I came...” Once more she swallowed before taking another breath to steel herself. “I didn't, come here... that is... I don't have any problems or concerns, Princess.”

Her Majesty leaned back, her eyes widening slightly as she regarded something she did not understand. “Truly? We were told by our sister that the court was established for ponies to air their grievances or to request a boon. Art thou indeed here for neither?”

The young mare slowly nodded.

“Then, why hast thou come?”

Again the youngmare grew nervous, sensing she was wasting the obviously valuable time of one of her sovereigns, but before it could fully take hold she exhaled once more and, strengthening her resolve, looked straight into Her Majesty's eyes.

“I, came to thank you.”

It felt as though the entire castle had grown quiet. I could almost imagine the sound of the distant waterfalls on one of the far edges of the city drifting through the halls to break the silence her words had brought. Her Majesty's mouth fell open slightly before she regained her composure.

“Thank us? For what, my little pony?”

“For the night.”

I was struck speechless. Growing up in Canterlot I had seen the way ponies almost flocked to Princess Celestia, so eager were they to show their appreciation for her and her sun. Even beyond counting the Summer Sun Celebration I had heard that some towns still held far more often days of worship to her. No one, pony or otherwise, doubted the adoration Equestria had for her.

But in my brief time working under Princess Luna, I had never, not once, seen even so much as a card or a letter showing gratitude for her work on the night sky since her return. I was sure, despite the smile she wore as she looked down upon the lights of distant cities enjoying her night, that she envied her sister still. In a way, that was why I had requested to serve under her. To show, through my actions, that I appreciated the work she did, for all of us.

Here was a pony, the first in these many months, to say what I wished I had the courage to.

As I shook myself from my inner musings I noticed Her Majesty had been likewise thrown for a loop, only now she seemed unsure of such a straight-forward claim. So used to the half-truths and attempts to curry favor the nobles often tried, she seemed unable to simply accept this simple gratitude at face value.

“Why?”

Copper Sea's face scrunched up at the question. “I'm, sorry?”

“We asked why. Why wouldst thou travel to Canterlot, wait for several hours, and push through such crippling nervousness, just to thank us for performing our duty? What wouldst thou have to gain?”

The young mare looked around in confusion. As though being asked some strange riddle whose answer was hidden upon one of the walls around her. “N-nothing, Princess. I just... just felt I should show my appreciation for all the work you put into it every night.”

She hesitated once again, as if expecting Her Majesty to respond. When nothing came, however, she continued on her own. “I'm just a shipwright. I spend all day working long hours in the sun. So my chance to rest comes only after dusk. I've always loved the night, ever since I was a filly, but since you came back, I don't just enjoy it, I look forward to it all day!”

Here she smiled impossibly wide, like a filly who had only moments before earned their cutie mark. “The constellations, the shooting stars, the rare but vibrant auroras during winter, and most of all, the shining, clear, and beautiful moon, casting it's patient light onto the sea almost like a old fisherman.”

She closed here eyes once again, her smile never leaving, before opening them to lock onto Her Majesty.

“So, for bringing me such joy, each and every night, I just wanted to say: 'Thank you Princess.'” and she bowed.

Seeing my chance I stepped away from the throne to stand beside Copper Sea and bowed as well, my voice joining hers. “Thank you Your Majesty.”

Not a moment later I heard a set of hooves move next to me and the sounds of armor folding before deeper voice spoke out. “Thank you.”

Another set of hooves. Then another. And another. Each followed by a quiet thank you to join the others echoing down the solemn halls.

“Thank you.”

“Thank you Princess.”

“Thank you.”

“Thank You.”

After nearly a full minute of this, the silence fell. My head remained down, as I imagined the others did, awaiting the word of our sovereign. We didn't need to wait long before we heard soft sniffle. I chanced a look up, only to see Princess Luna, tears streaming down her face, with the most full and genuine smile I had ever seen on display.

“P-please. Rise my little ponies, rise.” and we did.

She paused for a few seconds to look each of us in the eye, as though committing our faces and all that we were to her eternal memory one by one, before finally using her magic to summon a small kerchief to dry her eyes.

Her voice was quiet now, devoid of her usual authority, instead replaced with humility and maybe a bit of wonder that such a thing had just happened. “Thank you, all of you, for that. Especially you Copper Sea. You cannot know how much your words mean to... me. You and yours will be always welcome in this court. It is my sincere hope that should you feel the need to visit again, you will remember to hold your head high. You have given me a great gift this eve, and I would be honored to return the favor should you but ask.”

I could hear the mare in question shuffle from embarrassment beside me, before quickly bowing again. “Oh, thank you Princess. I'll remember. I promise.”

There was a pause as we all waited for our Princess. “You may go, if that is all?”

Copper sea squeaked before rising. “I-it is. Thank you again.” With that she turned and quickly stepped to the door, looking back with a smile one last time before taking leave.

Her Majesty looked back from the doors at the rest of us, her smile shrinking without losing it's mirth. “As for the rest of you. You may have the rest of the night off, as well as tomorrow, if you so desire. Please tell your superiors to come to me if they have any questions.”

We each gave a nod or a murmur of acknowledgment and began heading for the door.

“Mercurial Gold, come with me.”

I paused before turning back to see her nod at me and slowly walk toward the small door at the other end of the throne room. I quickly caught up and matched her stride, positioning myself beside and just slightly back as protocol dictated, as she led me into the adjoining hall and onto a nearby balcony.

I paused at the entrance while she moved to the railing and gazed up at her moon, which somehow seemed brighter than it was when it rose a few hours ago.

“Did you plan this?”

I was startled by the broken silence, so lost was I in the moon's glory. “Your Majesty?”

“Copper Sea.” she continued, “Did you find her and bring her here for our benefit? Or was she truly a pony who spent all that effort just to thank us out of the goodness of her heart?”

“I swear I had no hoof in her coming here tonight Your Majesty.”

The seconds ticked by, and I could almost hear the gears in her mind moving along as she contemplated my answer. “Then why did you join her?”

I just stared. I thought it couldn't be more obvious. I had felt the need to thank her for what she did, and continues to do, as much as Copper Sea had.

“Why would you break decorum to stand beside a pony you do not know, and thank us?”

My mind was sluggish to work out the problem here. I knew she was asking something more than her words said, but for the life of me I couldn't reason what. “I just, needed to.”

She lowered her neck to look at me straight on, he face wearing the mask of the court. “Then why not do so after court is ended? Or better yet, if you felt such a strong desire, why not say so sooner? You have been my seneschal for months. Why have you not spoken up before?”

I swallowed hard before looking deep into her eyes. For a moment I thought I could see her countless years spread out behind her, and the insignificance of my role by her side. It made me feel much as Copper Sea had when she had first arrived.

“Well?”

“I... was afraid.”

She raised herself back to full height and released a sigh of great weariness that I imagined only her sister could match. “Of course you were.”

I tilted my head in confusion for the brief seconds it took my mind to connect the dots, before gasping. “No! I didn't mean it like that Your Majesty. I'm not afraid of you. I never have been!”

Again she donned a look of doubt as I tried to convey the truth of my words through my eyes. “Explain.”

I stood straighter before responding. “What I mean is... well... It wasn't you I feared, but that I wasn't... worthy I guess?... of approaching you directly. I lacked the courage to thank you in words, so I... volunteered... hoping that by serving you, my actions would be enough to show my gratitude. I thought this was my only means of repaying you for what you do for all of us. Tonight, however, I realized that wasn't enough. Copper Sea opened my eyes and gave me the chance to come forward as I always wanted to. I should have done so sooner. I... I'm sorry.”

I watched as her doubt was slowly replaced by understanding, her smile returning as I finished.

“Then I thank you once again Mercurial Gold. I had wondered why you would request such a position despite your youth, especially knowing the position in question is not exactly considered... respectable... by some.”

I quickly shook my head. “We all make mistakes Your Majesty, but anypony who puts so much... love... into their duty must, deep down, care a great deal about those they rule. I understand you do it as much for us as for yourself, maybe even more so.”

I see her smile grow as she looks upon me from above. “I am quite glad someone noticed, and the sentiment is appreciated.”

“You're welcome Your Majesty.”

“Please, call us... me, Luna.”

I took a step back, quickly shaking my head. “I can't do that Your Majesty! It would be highly improper.”

“Hmm, than call, me, 'Princess' instead of 'Your Majesty.' There is no need for such distance between us going forward.”

My father had told me to follow my heart when it came to conflicts in my position. I contemplated the issue for a full second before looking back to her beaming face. “Alright. And you can call me Mercy, all my friends do.”

The Princess's eyes twinkled. “Very well, Mercy. Would you care to take a stroll through the gardens?”

I smiled back. “I'd love to Princess.”

Author's Note:

I hope you all enjoyed this short story.

I have plans for a much larger story involving Luna & Mercy, so please let me know if you like the way I wrote them.

^_^

Comments ( 5 )

It was a rather enjoyable story, and i wouldn't mind seeing more of Mercurial Gold and Luna. your a pretty good writer. hope to see more

I liked this. It had just enough balance between the characters without seeming overtly off. It's very easy for Luna to feel wrong in a story. but I think you captured how I feel she would act. If you can keep it from feeling too OCish, I'd like to see more written along these lines.

5469056 I actually have a lot of the planning done for the larger story, I'm just worried on character evolution.
The story is meant to cover around a year, and Luna aclamating to Equestria, but while a single scene or day is easy to grasp, I'm a bit worried the gradual changes in the character might come out either too suddenly or subtle.
And unfortunately for me the story in question would not only be my largest project to date (actual novel length) but is also required as a basis for a few other stories I want to write even more (2 direct sequels, 2-3 sorta-side stories, and a 3 part series which uses it's lore as history).
Thanks for the interest though. I'll be sure to link a blog post to this when the story finally gets published so anyone who fav'd this one will get notified. :raritywink:

Sounds to me as if an excellent story is in the making.

Login or register to comment