• Published 20th Sep 2014
  • 1,427 Views, 61 Comments

CCC-To Find Her Place - Fresnor



Outliving your friends is something that is hard to get over. When a young kitsune realizes that she has a long time to live and is now without her friends she heads out to find the one place she may be able to belong.

  • ...
3
 61
 1,427

Epilogue

It had been three days since we had left New Sionnach and things were not looking so great. From a population of millions of kitsune we came to find that not even two thousand had made it through this portal along with about four thousand diamond dogs, including those that were already on this side. There were too many to support on this small chain of islands where the portal was located and they were all looking to me to lead them to safety. I just don’t know what to do now that we are finally safe from the shadows. If only Okami was here, he would be able to help them all find a home.

I stop when I think of that final word as something tickles at the back of my mind as I turn towards my bags in the corner of my tent. Sticking out of them I see some scrolls which I pull out and start to read through to find that they are the letters I had written over the centuries I had been in New Sionnach. It doesn’t help either when that world never truly felt like home to me even when I had my husband. In fact I haven’t truly felt at home ever since I left Ponyville and… the Everfree…

My thoughts trail off as I realize that there is one place that we could go that was virtually uninhabited still and where we would thrive. It was the one place that they would never have thought to see again as well as the neighbor to what once was our greatest ally until Discord interfered. I quickly dig through my bags, even having to climb inside them, to find something I had not looked at for a long time and come out of them with not only the maps of the world, but the magic map I had that showed the expanse of the Everfree Forest. “I never bothered to compare them, but I remember there being one small bit of coastline with a decent cove on one end of the forest. If there is a good sea route to there then…” Comparing the two my hopes shoot up as I find that I was right and we could sail right up to the forest. Grabbing my bags I shove everything I have into them except for the maps and carry it all out of the tent yelling.

“Oraiste! Gather the other leaders for me. Butch! Get whoever is in charge of the town here. Cassidy! Get everyone else ready for an announcement.” They briefly paused to stare at me in concern before running off to do as I asked as I made my way towards the impromptu meeting area we had set up. I understood their look as I had been holed up in my tent since we got here and looking over myself I realize that I could do with some grooming. As I get to the meeting tent I quickly pulled out my brushes from my bags and quickly cleaned up a bit before anyone else arrived. I was donning my regalia when I heard a small whine behind me and I turn to see Rose looking at me questioningly. “Yes Rose, I’m a bit better now, and I finally have something that can save us all.”

I was looking much better when the ones I called for started to arrive. I was going through the maps one more time looking for any potential problems with the route though I knew to leave most of the work to the experts. My assistant soon joined me by my side and curiously looked over my shoulder at the maps but didn’t comment. When my guards arrived, showing that they were finished with their tasks, I did one quick check to be sure that all those I requested to show had arrived before I began to speak.

“Thank you all for arriving so promptly and I’d first like to apologize for my behavior the last few days. I finally came to my senses, but more than that I finally know where it is that we need to go.” I push the maps I had towards those around the table and used my magic to point out the area I had planned. “I believe it is time for us to finally go home once again.” My statement was met with stunned silence before the Admiral spoke up.

“Lassie, forgive me for asking but, are you sure that this is a wise idea? I mean it has been so long since we had been there. Would it truly even be our home after all this time? And what about the… locals that are still there that might take exception to our presence?” I can understand what he is asking, but I knew things that I had never told them until now. “It might be a bit more dangerous than it used to be, but I know we can handle them especially with my own experiences there. The forest has rejected all who have tried to tame it yet I actually felt accepted there. Not only that but I found remnants of it being our home as there are still home-trees ready to be adapted into new places to live. As for the locals… Let’s say that I have information that will make them our greatest allies if my old friendship with their leaders isn’t enough to sway them. The only problem I foresee is if we have enough ships to get everyone there safely.”

I look towards the harbormaster in askance and he looks a bit wary as he steps up. “Princess, I believe that we have enough to get everyone there but it won’t be comfortable. I worry about the number of children we have though and keeping them out of the way of the sailors.” I’m relieved that we have enough ships, though he brings up a point that I don’t know how to deal with myself. “Oraiste, I need you to find whoever is in charge of taking care of the children and get them to meet up and help organize things how they think they would work best. This is our only chance and we need to make sure everyone gets there safely. Admiral, you and the General are going to be in charge of everything so make sure to use all the tools at your command.”

This causes a few raised eyebrows and a headshake from the Admiral as he speaks up. “And just where will you be at lassie, that you won’t be around to take charge of everything?” I sigh as I knew there would be complaints about this part of the plan. “I will be going on ahead to not only smooth our way by speaking with the Princesses of Equestria as well as the subjects of our kingdom that have been waiting too long for our return.” This caused an uproar, just as I expected, and I just sit and wait for it to quiet down before continuing.

“I know what you all want to say, but there is no one else that can go there and succeed considering the problems that they’d need to overcome. Not only that I’m the only one that knows the area to even attempt any kind of quick transit there. I won’t be alone, but I can only guarantee it working the one time and not for more than four. I, my two guards, and Rose will be all that I can handle with how far of a jump it is.” I just settle back as the arguing began again but I stayed firm in my stance of what was going to happen. Eventually they realized that dissuading me was futile and agreed to my plan with many reservations. I knew that we only had one shot at this but I was so sure that this was the right path to take.

I knew I had to do something to reassure the rest of my subjects before setting the plan into motion which was why I had them gathered so I could make one final speech before my departure. Stepping up to the impromptu podium that was set up I looked out over the remnants of a once powerful kingdom. “Over the last few centuries we have lost so much including any hope we had of surviving. Yet despite that we have escaped from the greatest threat that we have ever known and ever will. Even then we are still left in the dark on what we need to do to survive and make a new home.”

I look around to all that are looking up to me to save them before continuing. “Even now there is still light in the darkness, but of a kind that we never thought to hope for. Our old homeland of Sionnach is still there, waiting for her rightful rulers to return once again. Subjects from our original exodus away the homelands are still waiting for us and are still loyal to us all. All we need is the courage to cross the seas through unknown waters to once again claim the homeland we had though lost for millennia, and nothing will stand in our way.”

While my speech wasn’t the best, it was still enough for many to cheer as they once again had hope. I turned things over to the two six-tails to organize while I went back to an area I had being prepared by some of the better spell casters. Waiting for me were Rose and my guards along with them as I surveyed the area and pulled out my oldest journal. Flipping through the pages I came to the diagram of and array I hadn’t seen since Ponyville; yet would be the key to path towards home. Before beginning I pull out a spare scroll and right a short message on it before sending it off in a burst of emerald flame.

Taking a knife I carved out a perfect copy of the diagram into the ground before double and triple checking to make sure it was perfect. Once done with that I filled the channels with salt as it was the best I could use as more appropriate resources were too scarce. “Astonishing, I’ve seen many magical arrays in my time, but this is more complex than anything I’ve ever imagined.” I let out a tiny grin at the one librarian’s reaction as this was nothing compared to some of the ideas I’d gotten over the last few centuries. Checking one last time that everything was in their proper places I directed the three that were coming with me towards the positions they needed to be with orders not to move until we arrived.

Turning to the others I called out here I had them take positions around the circle before explaining their part. “Now once I tell you to I need you all to start pouring as much energy as you can into the circle but don’t try to direct it any further than that. I’ll be the one that’ll direct that power to where it needs to go as I craft the spell towards the destination I have planned. I’m not sure how much energy I’ll need, but think of it as if it was one of the portals that were used to go from the city to other locations. This spell is much like those but works under different rules that have been found by the Equestrians long ago.”

The ones that were more familiar with how the portals work and were made nod to me cautiously though compared to teleportation the portals were made to look simplistic. I move towards the center of the circle after putting my packs on once again and center my thoughts on what I needed to do next. Here’s to hoping that I can actually hit my target for once with a teleport. I don’t even want to know how high up in the air I’d end up if I missed again. Taking a deep breath I focus on reaching for the identical array back in Ponyville and try to form a link between here and there. I signal to the kitsune around us to start channeling their power and I direct it into forming the bridge between the two points as well as to the appropriate parts of the circle.

Things were going well up until the point when some of them started to collapse from exhaustion from using most of their magic. When the final one fell I started to fear that this wouldn’t work as it felt as if I was just short of succeeding with the spell. Reaching out even further and pouring the last of my own power into it I felt something coming from the other end of the link. I realize that I had forgotten one other source of power as the hearth stone in Ponyville actually bridged the final bit on its own. “Wish us luck.” I say to everyone present but mutter the next part. “Hope this works for once.” I realize that the three in the circle heard this as they look at me in shock before everything vanishes into blinding whiteness.

Dear Princesses of Equestria,

We’re finally coming home.

Author's Note:

Well there's the end of Book 2 and now onto starting Book 3. So how do you all think Ponyville and Equestria will be like after the many years she's been gone? Take into account that 400-500 years have passed since her last contact with the Princesses. Please leave any comments, complaints, or typos below so I can improve on things later.

Also as a small teaser I have plans on potentially sneaking in someone you may all enjoy but wouldn't expect later in that Book. I've left a few clues as to who it might be but that's all I'll say.

Comments ( 9 )

ok btw I commented on the prequel to this about a song in the chapter a sunny end

Greatly enjoying this.
Many thanks!

I information

there should be a have in the middle there

5888925 Fixed and fixed.

7103258 More the world of Hanna-Barbera :derpytongue2:

I can't believe how a story this well made isn't more popular, I am really suprised at this.

Before I read this, what is the Gore tag for ?
And how bad does it get ?

8159754 It shouldn't be overly bad if I remember right, been a while since I've glanced at this one. I think it was only one or two parts that may have gotten a bit descriptive, but shouldn't be any worse than what you'd find in a shooter game.

Login or register to comment