• Published 27th Jun 2014
  • 985 Views, 38 Comments

Bootlegging - L_Wolf



Progress is good for most ponies, but some new inventions can be a double edge blade.

  • ...
3
 38
 985

Chapter Twenty-Three: Just what I need

Chapter Twenty-Three
Just what I need.

After Apple Bloom had finished filling the hole back in, she spread some debris that littered the yard around over it trying to make it look more natural. She didn't think anyone would make their way out to the cottage, but she wanted to be sure.

She tossed the shovel back into tool shed and closed it up before getting back in her car and started on the long road back to Ponyville. She bypassed the town proper though and went straight back to Sweet Apple Acres. While she did consider stopping in to see how Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle were doing. However it had gotten late in the evening.

Apple Bloom brought the car around to the back of the barn and parked, before getting out and heading into the old farm house looking around. "Applejack? Big Mac? I'm home." She called for her siblings, making her way from the kitchen out to the hallway leading to the front door, the stairs and the living room.

"In here," She heard Applejack call to her from the living room, so she headed that way. "Have a seat sugarcube, we need to talk." Her sister stated once she got into the living room.

Apple Bloom didn't like the sound of that, she looked from her sister to her brother before speaking. "What about?" She asked moving to the couch and sitting down.

"About everything that has been going on lately." Applejack said eyeing her sister. "We want you to stop, this cider business has gotten out of hand. We're all worried about you, about things going sideways and you getting put in jail, or worse killed."

Apple Bloom bit her bottom lip as she listen to her sister talk, "I can't qu-...." She started, before Applejack cut in.

"Of course ya can, we don't need the bits that badly. The apples sales are good and the non-alcoholic cider is doing well." Applejack told her, "We don't need to risk this bootlegging business."

Apple Bloom shook her head firmly, "No, I can't. I'm glad the farm is doing well but I can't stop."

"Why not?!" Applejack demanded a bit more sharply then she wanted.

Apple Bloom flinched back a bit at the stern tone of the question. "Because the Manehatten ponies wont allow it." She thought about telling them what Ruby and Noi wanted her to do, but decided not to. The less they knew the better.

"Don't worry, things will work out fine." Came a female voice from the kitchen, Apple Bloom jumped reaching for the shotgun she kept under her duster when she noticed a small hair clip that looked a lot like the listening device the EBI gave her. "Whoa, easy I'm not going to hurt you."

"Apple Bloom!" Applejack scolded her firmly, "This is Lemon Daze, came to the farm looking for work. With you out on your business, we needed the extra help and hired her."

Apple Bloom narrowed her eyes, "Did she now...? And she knows about our... business?" Apple Bloom said standing up.

"Apple Bloom calm down," Applejack said, "She knew about it before we said anything, she's fine with it, she doesn't like the laws anymore then you do."

Apple Bloom folded her ears back, "Let me talk with her in the other room." She said looking to Applejack and Big Mac.

"Fine, just leave the shotgun." Applejack said firmly. "Ain't gonna be no, accidents, here."

Apple Bloom nodded taking the shotgun out and putting it on the coffee table before looking to Lemon Daze. "Let's go."

Lemon Daze said nothing as she following Apple Bloom into the kitchen. "You really need to relax Apple Bloom, Noi assigned me, remember? You wanted your family protected, this was the best way."

"Yea, I figured as much." She said eyeing the gem in Lemon Daze's hair, "They also spying on me and my family?"

Lemon Daze shakes her head, "You're getting paranoid Apple Bloom." She stated flatly, before continuing. "Granted it is designed to record voices. It's tied to a similar gem that broadcasts what it picks up, when activated, to alert backup if there is trouble. I'm not here to spy on you."

Apple Bloom took a deep breath before sighing, "Alright fine, guess I have to trust you. Don't got much choice." She grumbled, turning on her hooves and headed up stairs.

"Apple Bloom! Where are you going?" Applejack call to her hearing her head upstairs.

"I'm going to take a bath, and go to bed." She called back to her, not stopping on her way up to the second floor. Once up stairs she went into the bathroom pulling off her duster and holster, frowning remembering she left her shotgun downstairs on the coffee table. She sighed "I'll get it tomorrow." She muttered to herself.

She turned on the shower and climbed in watching the dirt out of her coat from earlier, her mind going to Sterling, then to Lemon Daze. "Just what I need, a baby sister hanging around." She muttered softly to herself.

Comments ( 1 )

Wow, this is awesome. One of the best books I've never read!

Login or register to comment