• Published 27th Jun 2014
  • 985 Views, 38 Comments

Bootlegging - L_Wolf



Progress is good for most ponies, but some new inventions can be a double edge blade.

  • ...
3
 38
 985

Chapter Eighteen: A Rock & A Hard Place

Chapter Eighteen
A Rock & A Hard Place

Apple Bloom made her way into town, taking a deep breath. “Mm such a nice day for a walk,” she sighed softly smiling as she looked around the dusty road. She had been doing so much driving lately she hadn't had a chance to enjoy the scenery or breath in the scent of the countryside.

Once she had gotten into town she walked towards the car-lot so she could replace her car. “Hello there Apple Bloom,” The sales pony greeting her, “What can I do for you today?”

“Hello Jasper,” Apple Bloom smiled at him, “I need a new car.”

“Really? What happen to that nice Colt Three I sold your family a few months back?” He asked tilting his head.

She sighed softly shaking her head, “Had a bit of an accident with it,” She muttered not wanting to go into further detail.

“I see, well we have some new models in.” Jasper said leading Apple Bloom through the lot, “The new Colt Four,” he smiled showing her the car. “It has a faster top speed, better acceleration, better grip around the corners which means it corners sharper.”

Apple Bloom nods as she looks the car over checking it over. “Looks pretty good, the truck size is good as well.” She looks over at Jasper. “I'll take it.”

“Alright, come this way.” Jasper smiled pleasantly, leading Apple Bloom to his office. She filled out the paperwork and paid the bits after talking him down in price.

Once everything was sorted at the car-lot she took the car to city hall to get it registered, grumbling to herself at the fees. She was impressed with how the car handled on the road though.

Apple Bloom was on her way home when she noticed a car following her, she even turned down a back-road that only went to the farm's back entrance to be sure. However the car was still following after her.

“Okay... this is ridiculous.” She grumbled giving the car more gas speeding away.

The other car speed chasing after her before sounding a siren and one of the ponies in the car floated a flashing red light out attaching it to the roof.

“What in Equestria?” Apple Bloom groaned slowing the car down and pulling to the side of the road. “A unmarked police pony car? How is that even far?”

The unmarked car pulled up behind her, “Turn off the engine and step out of the vehicle.” One of the ponies command, magic amplifying the voice. “Close the door and put your fore-hooves on the roof.”

Apple Bloom sighed turning off the engine and climbing out after closing the door she reared up and put her fore-hooves on the roof as instructed hanging her head.

Once Apple Bloom had done as she was told the doors of the unmarked car opened and two ponies got out, a unicorn and an earth pony, wearing dark suits. The driver, the earth pony, moved towards Apple Bloom, the passenger took out a rifle and made sure Apple Bloom didn't try to run or attack.

“What's the meanin' of this?” Apple Bloom demanded, but she didn't move from where she was told to stand. “I wasn't speedin' or nuffin.”

“We know Apple Bloom, we also know you've been smuggling illegal cider to Manehatten,” the earth pony, a filly maybe four years older than Apple Bloom, told her. “I'm Agent Noi, and that is my partner Agent Pinch.”

Apple Bloom blinked turning to look at the two, “Wait... Noi? Pinch, Ruby Pinch? We went to school together and what is this agent business, agents of what?”

“There will be time for questions later.” Ruby said putting the rifle down, “Get in and we'll explain,” Her horn glowed as she opened the back seat of the unmarked car.

Apple Bloom was confused, but she nodded moving to the car getting in the back seat, Noi reached into Apple Bloom's getting the keys before getting into the driver's seat of the unmarked car.

Ruby got into the passenger seat turning to look at Apple Bloom, her horn glowed as she floated up hoof restraints securing them to Apple Blooms fore and hind legs. “Sorry Apple Bloom, but it's policy. For all of our safety.”

Apple Bloom tugged at the restraints sighing, “Of course it is... so what am I being arrested?” She asked leaning back against the seat.

“Yes... and no.” Noi answered starting the car and turning it around driving out of the back-road and into town. “We're with a new branch of Celestia's government, ever since cars and guns got invented Celestia knew the police wouldn't be able to handle everything.”

“So... she made this agent group?” Apple Bloom asked not really understanding.

“Yes, she created the Equestrian Bureau of Investigation. We have more authority to act than the normal police ponies do.” Ruby Pinch explained keeping her eyes forward, but Apple Bloom couldn't help but feel that she was watching her through the rear view mirror.

“Well... that's creepy to be honest.” Apple Bloom muttered, “So what do you want with me?”

“We want to bring in Mareponie and his organization.” Noi explained as she drove into town, but not to police station, they went to a small building near city hall. Apple Bloom never paid too much attention to the building, she thought it was just offices.

“So, just go and arrest him.” Apple Bloom said looking at the two as Noi parked the car in the back and Ruby released the restraints from the floor board.

Both stayed quiet as they got out, Noi opened the door as Ruby pulled on the chain of the restraints pulled Apple Bloom out of the car and leading her into the building. The two leading her to a bland room with just three chairs and a table.

Apple Bloom was sat in one of the chairs, Ruby and Noi sitting across from her in the other chairs. “It's not that simple, while it is true we have more authority we can't just go in and arrest them, we need hard proof.” Noi finally explained after they had gotten settled into the room.

“So? What do you want from me?” Apple Bloom asked looking at the two before it dawned on her, “Oh... no way I ain't talking, I'm not putting my family and friends in danger.”

“They already are in danger,” Noi sighed shaking her head. “Do you really think Mariponie or one of his rivals wont come after you or your family?”

Apple Bloom shook her head sighing, she had to admit Mariponie was dangerous, as was Rising Star and Rossi. “How can I be sure that my friends and family will be safe?”

“We can mov...”

“No way,” Apple Bloom cut off Ruby as she started to speak, “Applejack won't go for that, no way in Tartarus will she move off the farm.”

Noi sighed, “We can see about assigning a protective detail then, it won't be as safe but it's the best we can do if they won't go into protective custody.”

“And what do I do?” Apple Bloom asked looking at Noi then over at Ruby Pinch. “And what's in it for me?”

“You, just keep doing what you're doing,” Noi explained, “Do the jobs Mariponie assigns to you, make reports to us. We'll also have you wear something enchanted that will record sound as evidence.”

“As for what you will get, your family and friends won't serve any jail time for helping in the illegal cider business.” Ruby stated looking Noi then at Apple Bloom, “However, you have to answer for the murders, we may be able to get you a reduced sentence.”

Apple Bloom hung her head folding her ears back, she knew she was stuck, “Alright, I'll do it.” She sighed, she could at least keep her family and friends out of jail.