• Published 14th Apr 2014
  • 1,279 Views, 15 Comments

Sisters Forever and Always - TheExhaustedBrony



Applejack decides to spend some quality time with Apple Bloom, but things aren't quite as they seem.

  • ...
1
 15
 1,279

Sisters Forever and Always

“Up an at 'em Apple Bloom!” Applejack yanked the sheets off of her little sisters' bed, “it's a beautiful day today!” Applejack threw open the curtains to let the sun shine brightly through the bedroom window.

Apple Bloom groaned, “C'mon sis. Jus' five more minutes,” the sleepy filly rolled onto her side, away from Applejack, “I'll be awake then, ah promise.”

Applejack smiled, “Now c'mon Apple Bloom, would ya get up if I told ya that your favorite breakfast is ready to be eaten'?”

Apple Bloom shot up, “Well why didn' ya say so?!” The filly hopped out of bed and out her bedroom door. Applejack giggled as she heard the soft sound of hooves quickly trotting down the stairs. Applejack wanted to make this day extra special. She wanted to apologize for treating Apple Bloom like a child that needed constant surveillance and that she should have put more faith in her.

When Applejack got down the steps, she could see the filly already indulging herself on the plate of waffles that she had been busy making since sunrise.

“Ya enjoyin' the food sugar cube?” Applejack called out to her sister.

“Myea! Itsh delishush! Thanksh sho much!” Apple Bloom managed to work out with her mouth stuffed with golden delicious waffles.

“Now, Apple Bloom, you know better than to talk with your mouth full, right?” Applejack put her hoof in her sisters' red mane and lightly rustled it a bit.

The farmer just watched her little sister continue eating for the next five minutes until there was no sign of there ever being food on the plate. She hopped out of her seat and was rearing to go take on the day with her big sister.

“Applejack, what are we gonna do today? Buck apples? Get some eggs? Mow the lawn? Do the dishes? Finish your novel?”

“Actually, I was gonna let you have the day off, sugar cube.”

“Huh?” Apple Bloom looked up at her sister with a quizzical expression.

Applejack put her hoof on the filly's shoulder, “I want to apologize to you for being too protective the other day. I want you to take it easy today and not have to worry about doing anything.”

“So does that mean ah'm not gonna get to buck apples with you?” Apple Bloom lowered her head in disappointment.

“Oh sweetie, you can buck apples with your big sis if ya want to. I'm just sayin' that you can do whatever you want and if buckin' apples is what you wanna do, then I'm not gonna stop ya!” Applejack smiled.

“Well, what're ya waitin' for? Lets go!” Apple Bloom bolted out the front door and seconds later, poked her head through the doorway, “hey, what about the dishes?”

“Don't worry about it. I'll take care of it. You go have fun. This is your special day, remember?”

The filly gave the type of smile that only a sister can give, “You're the best sister, ever!”

Applejack was busy putting the dishes in the sink. She figured she can just let them soak in water for a while. She wanted to spend as much time as she could with Apple Bloom.

“We're gonna have so much fun! Just you wait, little sis, I'm gonna make sure you have the best apple buckin' experience ever.”

“Applejack, who're you talking to?” A voice called out from behind.

“Yaah!” Applejack yelped and turned to see who had the nerve to sneak up behind her. To the apple farmers pleasant surprise, it was Twilight Sparkle.

“I'm sorry Applejack, I didn't mean to scare you.” The princess apologized.

“Nah, it's fine. What can I hanker ya for?” Applejack said as she placed the last dish in the sink.

“Well, I'm just coming up to check on you.”

Applejack raised an eyebrow, “Check up on me? What for?”

“I just wanted to see how you were doing.”

“well, Twilight, I'm doin' jus' fine, thank you very much.”

“A-Are you sure? I know it's been hard for you but-”

“I'm sorry, Twi, but if you'll excuse me, Apple Bloom is waiting for me out in the field.” Applejack said, a slight tinge of frustration in her voice.

“Apple Bloom?!” Twilight gasped.

“Are you alright sugar cube?” Applejack asked, having noticed Twilight's reaction.

“Oh, I'm fine. It's nothing.” Twilight casually headed for the door, “I'm sorry but I've got something really important to do and-”

“I understand. It's probably a safe bet that bein' a princess an' all is quite a demandin' task?”

“Y-Yea...” Twilight began flapping her wings, “it was nice talking to you, AJ!” Twilight called as she flew towards the town.

“Well, better get to Apple Bloom, if I take any longer, I'll never hear the end of it.” Applejack said, breaking into a full gallop towards the orchard.


Applejack sat in the shade of a red delicious apple tree with her back against the trunk. Today couldn't get any better. There was not a single cloud in the sky, the air was warm with the occasional cool breeze, and she gets to spend it with her beloved sister. She was so happy and watching Apple Bloom buck apples made her even happier.

“Hiiiiya!” Apple Bloom yelled as she bucked an apple tree, causing it's fruit to fall to the ground. Just as Applejack expected of her sister.

“Hooooo-wee!” Applejack cheered, “that right there was some mighty fine apple buckin'! Have you been practicin'?”

“Nope. Ah guess it's just somethin' that came naturally. Hiiiya!” The filled yelled as she gave another tree a strong kick, shaking the trunk.

“Gosh, when I was your age, I wasn't nearly as good as you are now!” Applejack complimented.

“Awww shucks, it's really not that big of a deal. I'm not that good, am I?” The filly turned her head away, her face pink with embarrassment.

Applejack got up from her spot under the tree and approached her sister, “You are that good and I am certain that you're better than I was when I was your age.” Applejack placed her stetson on the filly's head. It was still too big for her and rested on her muzzle. This was always a sight that made Applejack feel great to be alive.

“Alright! Show me how a big sister bucks apples!” Apple Bloom cheered, adjusting the hat so that she can see.

“Watch an' learn!” Applejack approached the tree she was just sitting under and reared back and with all of her might, shot her hind legs outwards, striking the tree, creating a loud thump. The tree shook like a feather in the wind and released it's fruit from it's branches.

“That was amazin'!” Apple Bloom stomped her hooves in applause.

Applejack crossed her left legs over her right and tilted her head up, striking her signature pose.

“Whew!” Applejack wiped her forehead, “All this buckin' has put me in the mood for somethin' cold an' sweet. Lets go an' get some ice cream. I'll buy ya whatever you want!”

“Awesome! Thank you Applejack!” Apple Bloom bolted over to her sister and wrapped herself around her leg with the same smile from this morning.


“Make way! Best big sister in the world comin' through!” Apple Bloom announced repeatedly as she paraded her sister through the town on their way to Sugarcube Corner.

Applejack could only smile at Apple Bloom's innocence. The love that she has for her little sister can only be matched by the one receiving it.

“Everypony! The best sister in the world is takin' me to get ice cream! We're gonna-” Apple Bloom was interrupted by a stallion that probably wasn't paying attention. While he wasn't a very large pony, he was still big enough to knock the filly on her backside. The stallion didn't even flinch and kept on walking. This infuriated Applejack in a way that could only be described as, 'really buckin' mad.' and in about two seconds, she was on him.

“W-W-W-What?!” The stallion stuttered fearfully.

“Pay more attention to where you're walkin'!”

“H-Huh?!”

“Are ya stupid or somethin'? You just knocked my sister right on her back and you didn't even notice. What the hay is wrong with you!?”

“W-What are you talking about? I didn't hit nobody!”

“I buckin' saw you! Don't even-” Applejack had raised her hoof and was about to punch the stallion in the face. Nobody hurts a member of the Apple family.

“Applejack, stop!” Apple Bloom wrapped her forelegs around the enraged pony, “Ah'm okay, really! Please don't fight. Lets just go get ice cream, 'kay?”

Applejack sighed deeply and released the stallion, who immediately took the opportunity to run away.

“I'm sorry, sugar cube,” Applejack put her arm around her sister, “I don't know what came over me. I just don't want anypony ruinin' your special day.”

“It's alright. As long as Ah get to spend it with you, nothin' will get me down.”

“C'mon,” Applejack straightened her mane, “lets go get that ice cream.”

“Okay.” Apple Bloom nodded and let go of her sister and the two continued their journey to Sugarcube Corner.

As the two walked down the street, Applejack began noticing ponies were acting strangely. They were looking like they were unsure of something and whispering things to each other. Applejack decided not to dwell on it. Since she's supposed to be spending all of her time with Apple Bloom, she decided that she didn't have time to spend on things that probably don't even have to do with her.


Sugarcube corner exuded the same intoxicatingly sweet aroma as it always does. The display counter and the storefront window were lined with beautifully crafted sweets of all kinds. Applejack, with Apple Bloom beside her, approached the main counter. She could hear voices coming from back.

“I'm not sure. We'll just have to deal with it when the time comes.”

Applejack recognized the voice, “Twilight? That you back there?”

“Oh, hey, Applejack.” Twilight greeted from the kitchen doorway.

“Who're ya talkin' to?”

“She's talking to us, AJ.” Another familiar voice called.

Rainbow Dash, followed by Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Spike, and Fluttershy, walked into the shop.

“Wow, what're y'all doin' here? This sure is a nice surprise.”

“So, is there anything I can get you?” Pinkie Pie asked.

“Yea, we're here for some ice cream.” Applejack quickly scanned the menu on the wall behind Pinkie, “I guess I'll have the standard choconilla swirl and a double scoop of a rainbow marshmallow surprise sundae for the little one.”

Pinkie just stared blankly at Applejack for a few moments, “Errr, sure. Coming right up.” Pinkie got a ice cream scoop from under the counter and went into the kitchen to make the ice cream.

“Boy, let me tell ya, it's difficult to accept the fact that a younger sibling is growing up,” Applejack leaned on the counter, “I mean, I was so used to protecting Apple Bloom, that I guess I got too protective and was doing more harm than good by not trusting her.”

“Yea, it was the same way with me and Shining Armor for a while. I can definitely relate.” Twilight smiled softly.

“Yes, I suppose I should learn a thing or two from your experience and be a little more considerate when interacting with Sweetie Belle. It's takes some getting used to the fact that they're not the same little fillies they once were.”

“Eeyup.” Applejack agreed.

“Alrighty! Here's your ice cream.” Pinkie came out of the kitchen with a cone of icecream in one hoof and a bowl with the sundae rested on her back.

“Come on, Apple Bloom, get your ice cream.” Applejack called.

“Apple Bloom? She isn't here you si-” Pinkie immediately threw her hooves over her mouth, dropping the ice cream onto the floor.

“W-What are y'all talkin' about? Apple Bloom's right here.” Applejack laughed nervously.

Fluttershy immediately began crying and Spike brought her into the kitchen.

“What's wrong? Is she gonna be okay? Did something happen?”

“Applejack,” Twilight teleported to the other side of the counter, “we were hoping that there'd be more time before we had to do this, but...” Twilight paused.

“B-But what? What's going on here?” Applejack's stomach began churning, “SOMEPONY TELL ME WHAT'S GOING ON!”

“A few days ago, there was an accident.”

Applejack's ears flattened, “W-w-what kind of accident?”

Tears began streaming down Twilight's face, “When you decided to go back to check on Apple Bloom and n-not deliver the pies, Apple Bloom-”

“N-N-Now hold up a moment there,” Applejack interrupted, “Why're y'all talkin' like she 'aint here?!”

By this point, Twilight couldn't hold back her tears, “Oh, I'm so sorry Applejack!” Twilight wrapped her arms around Applejack.

Rarity let out a very heavy-hearted sigh, “I'm so sorry that we have to tell you this, but Apple Bloom isn't here.”

“What the buck's wrong with you?!” Applejack pushed Twilight away, “You think this is some kind of a joke?! Well it 'aint! An' it 'aint funny either!” Applejack shouted, enraged by Rarity's words.

Rarity began sobbing uncontrollably and ran into the kitchen.

“Applejack, listen!” Rainbow Dash said sternly, “We're you're friends. We would never do anything to hurt you,” Rainbow Dash began choking back tears, “so please listen to me.”

Applejack's heart sank into her stomach and tears began to well in her eyes.

“Apple Bloom died in the fire swamp trying to deliver the pie cart.” The pegasus covered her eyes and began sobbing.

“No...” Applejack shook her head in denial,” no, that's not... that's impossible. She's right-” Applejack turned around to point to where she last saw Apple Bloom, but was devastated to find nopony there beside her.

“Applejack...” Twilight muttered, a hoof over her mouth.

“Apple Bloom?!” Applejack ran to the door, “Apple Bloom?! Where are you?!” She shouted as tears freely fell down her face. When she saw no sign of her beloved sister, her world started getting dizzy and everything went in and out of focus until her vision became black.

Author's Note:

I hope you enjoyed this piece. Please feel free to comment and rate if you feel I've earned it.

Comments ( 15 )

shit....
when twi came in, that's when i figured it out.
but still creepy

why would you do this to me? :applecry:

Damn... this one hit right in the feels! Very sad, and excellently done.

Dem feels... :,(

Overdone psuedo-feels

So what is she dead?

I... I wan't more?

No offense, but... I saw the ending coming a mile away. The story's okay for what it is, but it's been done to death.

:applecry:Poor Apple Bloom, though.

4233863 none taken. I appreciate all kinds of feedback!

4249534 oh wow, I'm flattered. Thank you.

So basically, Applejack had been spending time....................WITH A GHOST!?

“What the buck's wrong with you?!”

Why does everyone use that as a swear:rainbowhuh:

Login or register to comment