• Published 21st Feb 2014
  • 17,502 Views, 1,999 Comments

Scootaloo Dies a Bunch - alexmagnet



Scootaloo has some extraordinarily bad luck, which is unfortunate for her since it means she's going to die... a lot.

  • ...
97
 1,999
 17,502

PreviousChapters Next
The Royal Apfelbaums (Family Appreciation Day)

Author's Note:

This chapter was guest written by my friend Burraku_Pansa.

“Ah got a pretty bad case of old.”

The squeaking of the old matron’s rocking chair was like a language unto itself—right now, it was agreeing with her emphatically.

“Naw, Granny,” said Applejack, seated on the couch with her siblings. “Yer as spry as ah’ve ever known ya. What’dya mean?”

A long, ragged intake of breath into nostrils sagging with age. “Ah mean ah ain’t got so long afore ah’ll be too far gone t’ do mah part with the Zap Apples. But somepony’s gotta.”

Apple Bloom looked up to her left, at her big brother. They needed Mac to handle the harvest itself—that was a sure thing every year. She looked up to her right, at her big sister. AJ was never one for stuperst… supidsit… the hokey stuff. Granny’s crazy Zap Apple rituals never sat right with AJ, so she wouldn’t be the one, either.

Did that mean… it was time?

“Apple Bloom,” rasped Granny Smith, “think that smart li’l unicorn friend ‘a yers would be up fer makin’ some Zap Apple jam?”


“An’ she told me there’d be no way ah’d remember all the steps!” Apple Bloom, trying her best to ignore all of the damnable happy shouts of the fillies and colts out on such a beautiful day, tossed the ball to Scootaloo.

“Well,” said Scoots, “she’s got a point, doesn’t she? You’re dumber than a pile of morons.” She bounced the ball in Sweetie Belle’s direction with a heady sproing.

Sweetie frowned. “Go easy, Scoots.” She gave the ball a light push back to Apple Bloom. “This ball’s pretty old.”

Eyes cast down to the ground, Apple Bloom said, “Look, ah get how this goes. Y’all get yer shots in whenever ah say somethin’ stupid, and we move right past it. An’ that’s fine.” She rested her head on the ball. “Ah just need a little more than that today. It ain’t usually mah own family thinkin’ ah’m dumb.”

“Right,” said Scootaloo, motioning for Apple Bloom to pass the ball, “ ‘cause you’re all at about the same level.”

The oft rumored indestructability of a red rubber ball accepted the challenge that was Scootaloo’s head, and it passed with flying colors—the color red, specifically, flying far out of the recess area. The never rumored indestructibility of Scootaloo’s head, feeling its reputation might not recover from this defeat, took on a challenge of its own: the rock jutting up from the ground behind the filly. Scootaloo’s head was clearly past its prime—two crushing losses in a row.

“Oops,” said Apple Bloom.

Sweetie Belle cringed for a moment, but settled back down when she saw Apple Bloom’s head nod back towards the ground. “Don’t worry about it, Bloom. She was asking for it today. And…” Sweetie rubbed the back of her head with a hoof. “I guess I wasn’t the most supportive friend there, either. Still want some help?”

Holding back a sniffle, Apple Bloom nodded, smiling.

A bright voice called from the schoolhouse doorway, “Recess is over, children! Let’s all get back inside for the second half, now.”

Sweetie turned to the schoolhouse. “Miss Cheerilee, it happened again!”

“What happ—” Cheerilee fixed her eyes on the mess. “Right, it. That’s okay, dears, but please tell her the next time you see her that she’s running out of sick days.”


“Family Appreciation Day, though, huh?” said Apple Bloom. “That’s an idea. Ah could get Granny to come ‘n tell one ‘a the family stories.”

The afternoon sun hung above, dappling the ground with the shadows of the apple trees. The pair were just now coming up to the greatest planning spot in the world: the clubhouse.

Sweetie Belle set hoof on the ramp up. “Well, what exactly is your goal here?”

“Ah think ah just want a little more respect, t’ be honest.”

Lips curled down guility, Sweetie said, “But from whom?”

Apple Bloom turned her gaze up, towards the sky and the approaching clubhouse door. “Anypony, really. Even if it ain’t from Granny. Even if it’s just from some ‘a the other kids.”

Sweetie nodded, opening the door.

“Ta-dah!” yelled Scootaloo.

The inside the clubhouse was a giant, quivering glob of newness. There was a giant banner hanging from the ceiling that read, in bold comic sans, “I’M SORRY I LET ON THAT I THINK YOU’RE DUMB!” There was a newly installed chalkboard on the back wall, upon which the phrase “I’ll be subtler next time!” had been scrawled and re-scrawled until every inch of the board was full. A red carpet had been rolled out—the kindergarten sort, covered in numbers and the alphabet. Even the hatrack by the door was now stocked with dunce caps that had been painted black, with little tassels affixed to the points. Truly, no expense had been spared.

In the center of it all was Scootaloo, beaming. “Pretty good for two hours of being alive, right?”

Apple Bloom, blank-faced, turned to Sweetie Belle.

Sweetie Belle met her eyes, half hoping that Bloom would keep her cool and half hoping that Tartarus was about to be visited upon She Who Had Clearly Gone Too Far.

All at once, Apple Bloom smirked, turned, and dashed headlong at Scootaloo, hoof raised high.

Scootaloo shrieked pitifully and averted her eyes, waiting for it.

And kept waiting for it.

Apple Bloom giggled like the schoolfilly she was, and she turned back to Sweetie Belle. “Y’know,” she said, “in Scoots’ case, ah think ah can make do with fear.”

PreviousChapters Next