• Published 11th Feb 2014
  • 854 Views, 68 Comments

Homecoming of a Jumper - tosety



Steelskin returns from jumping among parallel Equestrias, telling stories of his adventures and trying to fit back in to normal life in Ponyville.

  • ...
21
 68
 854

28 Dinner and a Story

Luna appeared with Rocky, Steelskin, Broken Shield, and two guards in the center of Ponyville. Broken Shield blinked and looked around as the guards scanned the area and moved into position around the group.

The streets were empty, as usual for this time of night, and Luna smiled at the two colts. “We have yet to eat this evening. Is there someplace you would recommend?”

Rocky spoke up first. “I don’t think there’s any place fancy enough for a princess except Chez Chou, Your Majesty.”

A shake of her head dismissed that idea. “We-I have enough food ‘fancy enough for a princess’ in Canterlot. I would prefer more common food with larger portions and less pomp.”

Steelskin chuckled. “The Grain Bucket it is. Berry Punch probably won’t know whether to be honored or horrified that you’re eating at her bar.”

Broken Shield looked flabbergasted by the casual reply and probably would have reproved Steelskin if he could get over the shock of Princess Luna having taken a personal interest in himself.

“The Grain Bucket sounds like an excellent place to dine,” Luna confirmed with a smile. She turned to one of the guards. “Wisp, please find Weyul and invite him to join us.”


“Welcome to the Grain Bu-” Berry Punch began before noticing who exactly was entering. She immediately ran to greet them and dropped into a brief but low bow. “Welcome to my humble establishment, Your Majesty.”

Luna smiled warmly. “Thank you, Berry... Punch?”

Berry’s face lit up. “Yes, Your Majesty. How, may I ask, do you know my name?”

“Oh,” Luna glanced quickly at Steelskin with a devious smile. “I have my sources.”

“Ah! I’m so sorry to leave you waiting! Where are my manners?” Berry said, barely containing her panic. “Let’s see, four, and will your guard be sitting with you or standing guard?”

“My other guard is off to invite Weyul, so there will be five of us,” Luna replied. “Sadly, my guards will insist that it is their duty to protect me at all times, so they will not be needing chairs.”

Berry, Rocky, and Broken were dumbstruck by her teasing tone, but Berry quickly nodded and led them to a large table near the back.

“Will you want menus, or will you only be drinking this evening?” Berry asked.

Rocky and Broken scrambled to sit down as Luna first settled herself and then motioned to them. Steelskin, being a little more familiar with what important ponies expected, was a little more graceful in taking his seat.

“We will, in fact, be eating,” Luna replied. “But we will not be needing menus. Please just bring us one of everything to start with.”

Berry’s eyes widened and Steelskin barely held back a laugh. Broken and Rocky both found themselves calming down as they felt everything to have gotten too surreal for panic.

Berry’s voice took on that unique tone of somepony holding themselves back from utter panic. “Yes, one of everything we make. Would you like anything to drink? We have a lightly salted cider straight from the Apple family’s reserves.”

Luna barely kept herself from looking at Broken Shield. “That sounds delightful, but I think taking salt in the presence of foals would be improper for a princess.”

Berry nodded agreement.

“Alex Roberts tells of a drink called a ‘gin-and-tonic’ that I would indulge my curiosity with. And Broken Shield, here, is new to town and should most definitely try some Sweet Apple Cider.” Luna added.

Berry took in Broken’s dehydrated appearance and silently concluded that it was more for his benefit than the foals that Luna was going salt free. She made a note to bring a virgin cider and looked at the two colts.

“Do you still have the Firebreather Whiskey?” Steelskin asked.

Berry cut herself off from her normal warning about how intense the cinnamon was and merely nodded before looking to Rocky.

“Mead, please,” Rocky said timidly, still a bit overwhelmed with everything.

“Thank you, I’ll put the food order in and bring those drinks right out.” Berry said before trotting off to the kitchen.

“So, Rocky,” Luna began, smiling warmly at the colt, “What did you think of Steelskin’s little demonstration?”

Rocky brightened and looked over at his friend. “It was awesome! It was cool when he shouted out his attack names like a superhero!”

Steelskin looked over at Rocky in confusion. “What?”

Rocky’s grin was ear to ear. “Yeah, like ‘Iron Dragon’s Steel Hooves!’ and ‘Tail Spikes of the Iron Dragon!’”

Luna quirked an eye at Steelskin as the dragon slayer looked at his friend in bafflement.

“What?” Steelskin asked again.

Roky’s grin dropped as he noticed Steelskin’s confusion. “You know, what you shout as you attack... You do it all the time...”

“I was wondering about that, myself,” Luna interjected. “I found it strange that announcing your attacks was not actively discouraged in your training.”

Steelskin’s ears flattened against his head. “Do I really...”

Luna gave a delicate snort. “I think, perhaps, that it is a quirk of the magic. When I was watching the documents from your crystal, I had thought it odd that a fighter would tell her opponent what she was about to do, but assumed at the time that it was done for dramatic effect rather than accuracy. Although...” she put a hoof to her chin, “it may also work as a psychological ploy. Frighten the enemy with a shout, a show of supreme confidence by announcing your attack.” She nodded to herself, “Yes, possibly an effective strategy.”

A low, rumbling chuckle announced Weyul’s presence. “Against ponies? Probably.”

Luna glanced over at Broken Shield and noticed that, while he looked uncertain and slightly nervous, he seemed interested in the conversation.

Steelskin, meanwhile, was bordering on alarm. “I shout out things when I attack?”

“That is quite something to be unaware of,” Weyul commented as he sat in the empty seat.

Settling himself, he turned to Broken Shield. “Greetings, I am Weyul son of Wieland, Honourable Healer of Souls, Warrior of the Kaltoo Clan, Master of his Household, Peacemaker to all tribes, Friend to Ponies. I have only been given your name, Broken Shield. Are there any titles you wish me to add?”

A sad smile graced broken Shield’s face. “Mate of Swift River.”

Weyul’s voice grew even more gentle. “Very well, Broken Shield, Mate of Swift River. I have been told you may wish to avail yourself of what help I can offer and I can see much loss in your eyes.”

Broken Shield suppressed a sigh of pain. Weyul noticed the hesitant glance at Luna and could see the inner battle between holding up the stoic image of strength that had assuredly been drilled into him and the recognition that he was not strong enough to bear his burdens alone.

Broken pulled himself as straight as he could. “...I will do as my princess commands,”

Weyul gave a slight shake of his head to Luna as she chafed at it being interpreted as a command.

Berry Punch appeared with their drinks and the first of many appetizers. Upon Weyul and Luna’s polite smiles, she asked “The usual?”

Weyul nodded an affirmative and she disappeared again. Everypony Settled in again.

“Rocky, Ward of Sweetheart, Friend to Steelskin,” Weyul began, watching Steelskin out of the corner of his eye. “I believe I interrupted a story you were telling.”

Rocky brightened up even as Steelskin’s ears went flat. “Yeah. Princess Luna had Steelskin fight the stallion that was running that village we went to.”

“I regret having missed it. Please continue with your tale.” Weyul asked with a smile.

Rocky beamed with joy. “When we got there, Mister Sharp Spear trotted out all professional and had his generals or whatever stepping in time with him and they gave a real impressive bow, but Luna stood all cold and high and mighty and just said-” he contorted his face into a parody of a noblemare’s pompous frown. ”You may rise.”

Luna was caught between a grimace of regret and a smile of pride as she listened to Rocky’s excited commentary, while chewing a mouthful of deep fried hay.

“Then she called Steel her paladin-in-training, which I think you’d be awesome at, Steel, and Sharp Spear was all ‘You honor me.’ ‘cause he thought she wanted him to train Steel, but she was all ‘Nope, he’s gonna train you.’ In your face, Sharp!”

Luna’s discomfort grew as she had to start suppressing laughter at Rocky’s interpretation of events.

Rocky looked over at Steelskin with a brief frown of concern. “I could tell Steel didn’t want to fight, and I’m pretty sure Princess Luna saw it too,” Rocky looked at Luna questioningly and was rewarded with a smile. “Because she had to push Steel a little, about how the foals there would end up having to hurt each other with real weapons eventually.”

Steelskin grimaced with regret and, Rocky, seeing it, got a determined glint in his eyes and pressed forward with his story.

Rocky’s smile returned with a slightly malicious undertone. “Steel was all ‘That’s so stupid. You can’t scare somepony if they know you’re not gonna hit ‘em.’ and I could just see Sharp getting peeved.”

Luna started to frown when she saw Rocky flinch as he realized he swore in front of a princess. She forced a reassuring smile onto her face and nodded for him to continue.

“Sorry, Princess,” Rocky said sheepishly. “Well, you know how Steel gets when somepony gets hurt. He just started yelling at Sharp and telling him how stupid he was then told Sharp to stab him.”

Weyul noted Steelskin’s look of regret and Broken Shield’s brightening smile.

Getting further into the story, Rocky started sounding smug. “Despite all of it, Sharp felt he had to get permission from Princess Luna to fight Steel. Even then, his stab was lame and Steel just slapped it off to the side like he was disgusted by how weak Sharp was, then bucked Sharp right in the face.”

Rocky drooped slightly in sympathy and glanced at Steelskin as he thought about what came next. “Steel really started getting upset. I hate seeing him like that. He was crying and was so mad he was attacking Sharp.”

Rocky took on a defiant tone and added “which he totally deserved.”

Luna nodded agreement.

Rocky smirked at Luna’s response. “Then Steel was all ‘Stab me, you coward!’ and Luna was all ‘I expect you to fight better than a foal.’ and then when Sharp went to stab Steel with a practice spear, Steel just stood there and didn’t even flinch, like he knew Sharp was afraid to hit him.”

Weyul chuckled. “I take it that you are proud of your friend?”

Rocky looked at Weyul like he just asked if rain was wet. “What? Why wouldn’t I be proud of him? He’s awesome.”

Weyul looked over at Steelskin knowingly. “Somepony seems to think you are a hero.”

“Of course he’s a hero!” Rocky interjected, scowling at Steelskin as if daring him to argue. “He jumps into danger and he always knows what to do to keep everypony safe.”

Steelskin dropped his gaze. “I wish I always knew what to do.”

Broken Shield snorted and everyone looked at him with polite interest.

Luna could notice a momentary hesitation, probably from her own attention on the stallion, but he marshalled his courage quickly.

“We are taught in our village that even an action that is not the best is often better than inaction.” He looked over at Steelskin and added “I can see the doubt you struggle with, but I can also tell that you are the first into a dangerous situation. You may not be confident in your course of action, but you act and, if you have been in half the danger that has been implied by my princess,” at this he gave a nod to Luna. “Then you have undoubtedly saved many lives by your quick action.”

“Well spoken,” Luna said with an approving nod. “Whilst calm thoughtfulness can often find the method to save the most, the time spent deliberating often costs more than quickly engaging in a less reasoned course. We think that mayhap Broken Shield would like to hear of one of your experiences?”

At Steelskin’s concerned look towards Rocky, Weyul spoke up. “Maybe a happy moment you experienced? I think, with the exception of Rocky, we have all had more than our share of pain.”

While everyone else nodded agreement, Rocky fought with himself between wounded pride and finally hearing about Steelskin’s adventures.

Steelskin put his chin on the table and frowned in thought. Each time he thought of a peaceful reality, he remembered how out of place he felt there and the constant knowledge that at any moment he could be shoved into another hellscape.

Berry Punch took the opportunity to place a few more plates on the table along with a glass of brown, cloudy liquid in front of Weyul. Luna wrinkled her nose at Weyul’s choice of drink.

Noticing this, Weyul chuckled. “A drink our friend Alex mentioned. Good for the digestion and the taste strengthens the will. A true warrior’s drink.”

Luna shook her head, restraining herself from a facehoof. She turned her attention to Steelskin and was about to offer a suggestion when Steelskin brightened slightly.

“It’s not so much happy as a place where I was able to help without fighting, but there was one where Alex’s world was giving us their movies and stuff. Alex and Matt decided Fluttershy, Lyra, Captain Nightshade, and I would make good judges of what movies were okay to show in Alex’s theater.” Steelskin had a look of peace and assurance that had long been missing from his face.


#PL-9#
@Arrival+2 Months@

“So Matt said this was about woodland creatures,” Lyra said to Fluttershy. “For some reason he didn’t think I should watch it.”

As the opening music played, I got an unsettled feeling. This music was sad.

“You’ve heard Human music, right? This isn’t going to be foal friendly. I’m half expecting somepony to get shot in this.” I replied.

“Steelskin, don’t you think you’re being a little cynical here?” Captain Nightshade said flatly. “They may be violent, but no way would humans show their children images of animals being shot.”

“You do realize that humans hunt these animals, right? And they’re not afraid to paint their own species in a bad light. I’m already getting a bad feeling about this,” I remarked. “The colors are too dark and the music, while sweet, just feels... sad?”

As the music picked up, Lyra spoke. “You worry too much. See? The music is happy now. This is a movie for foals.”


Steelskin stopped with the story as Luna quirked an eye.

Taking the cue that it was okay to interrupt, Luna asked “Is human music that carefully planned?”

“Yeah,” Steelskin replied. “According to Alex they carefully plan out everything, especially in movies. I think he was exaggerating, but he said that some directors make actors do the same scene hundreds of times to get it just right.”

“So, were you right? Did somepony get shot?” Rocky asked.

Steelskin snorted and continued the story.


#PL-9#
@Arrival+2 Months@

We sat in silence and watched with smiles as a newborn ‘prince’ was shown to the creatures of the forest. Even with the ‘happy’ music, everything was just a little too sad, like this would be about growing up, and not in a pleasant way.

“I thought lions were the kings of the jungle,” Nightshade remarked. “Shouldn’t a prince be a lion?”

Even I had to repress a ‘D’aww’ as I watched the young animals meet each other and form friendships that felt important. I thought Fluttershy was going to burst from holding back a squee.

I started to second guess myself as the lighthearted music and soft colors provided a happy and carefree setting for the antics of the young animals.

“Maybe I was wrong...”

Still, the dark areas on the screen persisted in leaving a sense of dread in my heart.

Fluttershy looked over at me in concern, but I smiled to let her know I was okay.

There was a crash of thunder that caused me to jump and caused the older mares to snort in mild surprise. Fluttershy hid under her seat. They listened to the happy song about the rainstorm, humming along until the cymbal crashes that represented the thunder paused the song.

“See?” Lyra said to me with a hint of smugness. “It’s about how natural things are scary to young foals, but there’s little to actually worry about.”

Fluttershy pursed her lips, knowing better than Lyra about what dangers existed in the forest.

On the screen, a new character was introduced and then the prince met others of his kind. It was nice to see him have a friend of his own species.

“Oh, so that’s his father.” Lyra whispered.

“No, can’t be,” Nightshade replied. “Humans are serious when it comes to taking care of their own offspring... well, in the movies, at least.”

“If they’re staying accurate to nature,” Fluttershy whispered, “the father usually will keep his distance like that.”

I wasn’t really sure what to think because with humans, there was usually only one parent, but it either didn’t show the other one, or the other parent got killed. I couldn’t remember a kid’s movie where one parent was just off doing their own thing but still in the movie.

The music changed again and we watched something offscreen spook the adults.

“Maybe it’s trying to teach human foals how skittish wild animals can be?” Lyra offered. “That would also explain all the dark places, since that’s where they seem to think it’s safe.”


Steelskin shook his head, partly in amusement and partly in pity.

Weyul let out a rumbling laugh. “Was it humans?”

Steelskin smiled wryly and nodded his head in the affirmative.

“With guns?” Weyul asked.


#PL-9#
@Arrival+2 Months@

I flinched as the loud bang echoed through the theater.

“They shot her!” Lyra screamed as she bolted from the theater. “They shot his mother!”

Back in the theater, We sat in stunned silence as a yearling deer called for his mother.

“Sorry, Steel,” Nightshade whispered as tears filled her eyes. “That’s seriously messed up.”

Fluttershy sniffed back a tear. “Angel lost his father to a manticore when he was only a little older than that. Still, I don’t think this would be good to show foals...”

Off in the distance, somepony screamed “The horror!”


Berry placed a few more plates of food down.

“Despite her own tears, Fluttershy made sure Nightshade and I were okay,” Steelskin continued. “So many ponies think she’s weak because she has problems with talking with new ponies, but I’ve seen her. She just feels everything so intensely.”

“You are more right than you know,” Weyul stated quietly. “She is one of the few that I can talk with. Her concern for me is stronger than her fear.”

“Yeah, it was because she was there that we kept watching and got to the happy end.” Steelskin felt a warm smile rise onto his face. “It still went into the ‘You’re a horrible person for recommending this’ list, but I think it’s a really good movie and I’m glad we watched it.”

“Strong friends make lots of things easier,” Rocky said in a voice just barely above a whisper.

Luna smiled. “There are different kinds of strength. We all have our own contributions and both giving and receiving strength makes us all stronger.”


Miss Sweetheart saw their approach and ran up to bow at Luna’s hooves.

Luna held back a scowl and stated as warmly as she could “Please rise, Miss Sweetheart.”

Smiling at Rocky, she added “Thank you for your friendship to Steelskin. I am glad to know he has ponies who care as deeply about him as he cares for them.”

Rocky flushed. “Thank you, Princess Luna. Y-you honor me...”

Luna gave a tight lipped smile. “You have proven yourself worthy of that honor.”

“Thanks for coming with me,” Steelskin added.

Rocky smiled before going into the house with Miss Sweetheart.

As Luna and Steelskin continued on, Luna spoke up. “Thank you for your friendship towards me, Steelskin.”

“What?”

Luna brushed him with a wing. “It is rare for somepony to treat me like a pony rather than a princess. If you are willing, when you are older, I would very much welcome having you as an advisor.”

Steelskin gave an uncertain smile, wanting to say he wouldn’t make a good advisor, but knowing how stupid that would sound.

Luna frowned. “One strength you can share with me is your ability to think of me as a pony. I can see it in your bearing. You treat me with the honor you feel I am due, but you look at me with neither fear nor blind adoration. I could trust you to tell me if I were to decide to do something stupid. Too many ponies do not think that I can be wrong or are afraid to tell me when I am. Sadly, I do not see you being happy as something other than a protector.”

As Steelskin thought about that, Luna continued. “I could tell that the tale of Bambi hurt you to watch, but I can also tell that the pain was nothing to you because you were protecting others.”

Steelskin’s heart lifted as he heard the truth ring in those words. If he could be a protector, he would be happy no matter what befell him.

“Still,” Luna continued. “Your heart is fragile. You need ponies with the strength Fluttershy possesses to soothe the wounds your heart will suffer. They, too, will need to experience pain on your behalf, but as with you, it will be worth it to them.”

As they got to Steelskin’s door, Luna leaned down to him. “We have seen the measure of thy heart and we swear as a Princess of Equestria, we will not turn thee away.”

With that, she exhaled into his nostrils.

Flustered, he nuzzled her neck. “Thank you, Princess Luna.”

Luna entered her mane and flowed to where her guards were waiting.

The guards, noting the absence of her regalia, took the unspoken cue and dropped formality.

“That colt sure is a piece of work,” Wisp commented dryly, earning a nod of agreement from the other guard.

Luna sighed heavily. “Neigh. His wounds run deep, but much as it appears otherwise, even to himself, he is trying to heal.”


To my dearest and most faithful student, Twilight Sparkle

I have been blessed beyond measure to have the honor of teaching you. Your friendship reports have been so incisive and thoughtful that I myself have learned much from them and in recent years I have almost felt that I have become your student. Because of this, I think it would only be fair that I send you this friendship report on what I have recently learned.

Many of the lessons I have taught you have been on the lure of power and how easily we can become addicted to control. I had thought myself wise on this matter, only using the gentlest of touches to guide my little ponies towards harmony and prosperity and, for the most part, that is true. What I had not kept in mind was the subtlety with which access to power and control will make you feel as if you cannot live without it.

I have told you before of The Weave, and how I can use it to feel out the best paths and guide ponies to their destinies more surely, but what I have not told you is that Alex and the other jumpers are not part of The Weave. Moreover, they do not just act as blind spots, but rather cloud the destinies of everypony they interact with. I had thought myself mature and able to let what will be, be what it will, but I was not. My sister had to confront me on my antagonism towards the jumpers and my petulance at being denied the ability to continue meddling in the affairs of my little ponies.

Worse yet, I must admit that her Paladins of Redemption have been not only successful beyond what I thought possible, but have given her the courage and fortitude to truly be a princess again and rise above the fear and self doubt that have plagued her since her own redemption at your and your friends’ hooves. I will most likely need your help to craft a proper gesture of thanks and apology to Alex Roberts. In the meantime, I can at the very least give you the aluminum you need to help that colt that Luna has taken an interest in. Expect half again as much as you requested to be delivered tomorrow and do not feel the need to return any of it. You have done more to advance our understanding of magic than most archmages and have done so with less than half the resources.

Your devoted mentor,
Celestia

Author's Note:

Thanks to my prereaders and apologies for how long I'm taking getting these out.

Comments ( 8 )

What ever happened to Steelskin's dragon friend "Darkmoon-ing" in?

8690893
Really? I got first? Did everyone think this story was dead and un-sub or something?

8690897
No some people just don't have the hope to track these stories.

8690893

If you're referring to Tallic, Twilight is working on summoning him.
The reunion is coming very soon.

9030655
There's just one thing... Where's the rest of it?

9475823
I've been hitting a bit of a combination of dissatisfaction with what I have and real life getting in the way

I'm hoping to have the last couple chapters up in the next month or so, but... well, life can cause problems

9479149
fair enough. You're safe from Pinkie riding an anvil... for now.

Login or register to comment