• Published 7th Jan 2014
  • 1,995 Views, 20 Comments

Born What I Will Be - PurplePolymath



A pony's parents play a role in what they will become or believe, depending how they're raised, feed, and respected. However, there are some cases where a foal will be whatever they are born and nothing more. But that doesn't have to

  • ...
0
 20
 1,995

Wish and Worship

Every lustrum, a brilliant star is born into the blackened sky, its shine just barely mimics the moon; mind you, for a single star that’s an amazing feat. Along with the lustrum comes the familiar legend, such that claims if one desires upon the star, their wish will come true.

And so, every night before bed every equine, the believers, would search the night sky with their very eyes and various manners of extensions. Those without a single drop of doubt did their dreaming during the day as one could be more demanding of ones dreams then, quaintly enough they all wished for the same thing.

Mother and father held their children close, guided their eyes to the same star before speaking the same legends, how brightly their eyes were illuminated by the wishing star’s wonder. Young and old, they wished and they wished... until they began to wonder. After all the Earth... Equestria is such a large place, a single star couldn’t possibly perform such miracles, could it?

I’m afraid the truth is, aside from the sun there is no star that can be seen before dark and there are no stars that can grant another’s wish, no matter how large or illustrious... however, they can hear when being spoken to. Every star has a mind to do what it will, that’s why every one chooses to shine.

But just as stars have a mind of their own, they can also determine their own merit; one… could feel that complimenting the moon isn’t enough, especially after hearing the same wish for a full winter. Why, some might even hate sitting still, not being able to speak or be seen during the day.

Yes, there had been countless other Wishing stars born, but, there were two things that made this one in particular much, much more than the rest ever would be. That difference being that the “believers” wished to believe in this star; if only they could see it up close… they’d have no choice but to believe in its majesty.

Second, and most importantly, this star wanted to grant a wish; or burn out trying.

Its light was great, just like any other star. But this wondrous star was also powerful, so it prayed... it wished upon itself. And in turn the world granted it wheels, the wheels spun and aided the star in making its way to Equestria. Luckily, the sun was stealing any show the star could have made upon its descent, so it remained unnoticed as it normally would.

The cooled star stood slowly from its crater, it glanced over its curious form, it had been given similar shape as those who wished so sorely to see it up close; it’s color was a brilliant blue, as azure as it shone in the sky. The star also took note that its sharpest point remained, now applied to its head. One foreign appendage in front of the other, the star took steps for as long as it could, but quickly grew weary; it required more strength than it realized to carry about a body.

The star with all its power and wisdom, it took hold of the wheels that carried it to the world below, using its gift, it craft a humbling wagon to carry its weary self. The star traveled this way till the sun found itself setting into bed before the coming night. By this time the entity had come to a quaint town, there were many here who’d wished to see it, now her, as she remembered all their hopeful faces. The star couldn’t wait to reveal herself, until she realized… she was no longer glowing as brightly as she had before under the moon.

But that wouldn’t stop her, she would show them all, the creatures, the stars themselves! They would know how brightly she could shine for everyone all on her own, to show that stars can do more than sit still! The star was a child of the moon, no matter how far she strayed, she displayed she was well aware of this as she gathered bits of the blackened sky and spun them into a cape for her coat, and gown for her head.

Her display, her unyielding ambition was inspiring to some, as few stars had gently flown down to meet her, to understand further. The stage it spoke of, a place where she would speak and show all she was worth. The star child gained the others favor far quicker than either of them imagined she would, in the end the stars wove themselves into her garments.

It was almost time, and fortunate for her the stars that came to her aid restored her strength the moment she donned them, her four foreign appendages now ready for any performance, but still she would need a stage to be seen.

And so the star and her wagon immersed themselves within the darkest center of the town, where stars were easily seen even on the cloudiest of nights. She prepared so much in her mind, countless nights pondering how her performance would be, the visage of the stage floor filled her mind over and over until she thought it perfect, oh-so perfect for what she had planned. Keep in mind that this star was humbled yet arrogant, it never wished for much, but that was only because it believed it’d shine brightly anywhere at any time if ever given the chance. These ideals were sheltered without the slightest bit of doubt in mind, such belief had brought her this far.

Again the star wished upon itself, and then the very wagon it’d build became a wondrous wooden stage, flooded with colors, sparklers, dazzlers, rocketing wheels, horns that could be heard from heaven, and of course curtain. The curtains were for the stargazers, to contain her glow as it was only a matter of time before she’d become too much for the crowd, as stars had never been seen this close before. And of course, they would eventually need a shield for their sensitive eyes.

The moon was full that night, and her lavished glow was steadily returning under its translucent light, she was already being watched. She examined her stage one final time, her gracious eyes now as big as the sky above. It was all she’d dreamed in her intention to grant everyone's desire, the color that would emerge and burst whenever a beating heart had begun to hasten, and the sparklers that showered down sparks like a million falling stars all at once. The dazzlers that sown words in the sky, whenever, whatever the crowd choose to chant. The rocketing wheels that were once the very objects that welcomed her onto solid ground before they’d become the foundation of her wandering wagon.


Finally, she’d gained her former brilliance and color; her form lit the entire town.

That light! That familiar glow, the ponies looked out their doors and windows, their eyes wandering above to find the wishing star... but they found nothing.

That light, it had to come from somewhere! One by one the creatures came from their homes, believers and those who thought naught more than it to be a blasphemous jest; they all followed the curious light, closer and closer they came to the one they desired to see.

Their eyes, the children young and old, mother and father; illuminating the same as they did every night they wished the same wish. They had never seen such a pony before, their desires, all felt them as they gathered in front of the star.

And without a word, the show began.

Hastened hearts ignited the stage, the star performed every feat of majesty and wonder it’d wish to give for so many countless nights. Sparks flew, the crowd chanted again and again, never growing weary of the star that granted more than a hundred wishes in a single night.

The crowd cheered, praising the star, saying how great and powerful its performance was, time after time they encouraged it, calling an encore for more tricks.

Tricks they call them, interesting, the star mused.

This name she learned had given her a notion for a new one herself.

On this very night, the audience had lived, alive and awake the very same as stars in the sky. And just like all stars, it was their time to sleep as the sun rose. Just as the moon would for her children, the star serenaded them all, letting her lullaby lull them into a peaceful slumber. She looked to the moon as it lift into the clouds, she could feel a warmth coming from it, the sensation struck her chest, and soon filled her entire form.

She saw a shimmer, at the source she found a mark bore against her backside, it was the same shape as the moon, and beside it stood a particularly familiar star. The moon was her mother after all, and while she was free, she would never forget where she’d come from.

While she’d just found her new name on her first night, her true name came from the last place she’d left. It was impossible for her to miss the moon’s lullaby, she’d never forget it, what she would miss would be her mother’s voice as she traveled performing her own triumph, granting a myriad of wishes the likes of which no creature had witnessed before her arrival.

Comments ( 20 )

Wow. I love how it has the feel of poetry without the rhythm or rhyme. Good job. (I wish I could say more about this, but my mind is blanking.)

This is wonderfully written and very original. Congratulations are in order.

3752234

I don't believe in the concept of "original" anymore, but thank you for your gracious words. :twilightblush:

3750600

I try to avoid rhyming at all cost, but that's just me, I still need to work on my /rhythm/ though. And thank you, your sentiment alone is more than enough. :twilightsmile:

I would be very interested in seeing more of this, though I know it is more a prequel than anything else.

Well crafted, well done.

Comment posted by Drakua deleted Jan 10th, 2014

yeah luna is trixie's mom

Oh holy shitknuckles. That was an awesome idea. I would love to see more on this.

3764893
Interesting word choice... and thank you for your kind criticism. :twilightsheepish:

I just may expand on the idea after I've started my other fic, seems like 20 times more than the number of those I expected really enjoyed the concept.~

I enjoyed reading your story! In fact, I featured it in a blog post of mine. It's not much, but I hope it'll get you a couple of extra views. Keep up the good work! :trixieshiftright:

3879599

I'm terribly sorry reciprocating so late, I hadn't even noticed until now, its embarrassing really. Thank you, really, every little bit helps. And I'm glad you enjoyed the story, also flattered that you'd share it at all.~

4298266
You're welcome! I've just re-read Born What I Will Be - still as good as the first time! I also see that you've come up with a couple of new stories. That said, I'll be definitely checking this long fic about Luna.

Have a good day! :raritywink:

Very.. poetic and metaphorical. :D I love this.

Beautiful little story.

5545635

Thank you, I'm surprised it's been so well received.~ :twilightsmile:

An honest mix of pose and poetry
And a great read from start to finish
Great work, my friend

Okay. I am completely baffled. What did I just read?:applejackconfused::rainbowhuh:

This is beautiful :ajsmug:

This is a beautiful little origin story. Not too complex and not too simple. Very nice work. :twilightsmile:

A star who shines bright even during the day

Login or register to comment