• Published 19th Nov 2013
  • 2,833 Views, 44 Comments

Risen - Bastinator



An ancient race once thrived upon the surface of Equestria, but they were exiled for their brutality. Anon, is a member of that race, and when someone is foolish enough to bring them back, Anon is ready to bring them back to their former glory.

  • ...
24
 44
 2,833

Chapter 5: A New Home

With another swipe from his blade, Andrew lays one more vine to rest at his feet, the tattered remains resembling more a defeated snake as the three of you move along. At last you reach the clearing, a pathway of soil leading to the aged planks that once held strong many a pony and man alike, and beyond that… The castle, an ancient ruin left discarded by those who wish not its former purpose. A grand feat it was to construct such a fortress, a final testament against the griffons, a symbol to demonstrate that even against their horde, the equines would still find strength. Of course, you never cared for such symbolism. The essence or function of the stone walls served a much higher purpose than stirring the hearts of the people.

You look up from the path and to the sky, sun nearly blinding but still you stare, almost able to make out the tower from where Celestia once stood. You can imagine the breeze that swept through her mane, those streaks flailing in the wind while her own form remained constant and unbreaking. The fire burned low that night, but not a soul, man or beast, would notice it. Each was consumed in an aura of their own triumph, their arrogance. A battle may be won, your enemy might perish, you might proclaim peace, but the war never ends. Even knowing this, you did not find reason to suspect… You can almost see the glow, the ruby’s shimmer consumed in its violent light, still up there where the tower once stood. Almost, but it exists now in only a memory.

“The view does it no justice, my lord. While the entrance and many of the upper levels have collapsed, the majority of the castle has gone unblemished despite the years.”

“Good,” you take a deep breath to ease the quickened state of your heart, the unruly organ thumping against your chest with vigor. “Our brothers shall repair what they can…” You shut your eyes a moment as you take another series of breaths, each deeper and more swift yet as equally insufficient as the last. When you open them again, you find Fluttershy paused ahead of you by the bridge, a pondering look upon her face as you stand toward their rear. “Continue, equine, your duties lie forward not behind.”

She turns quick enough, already having tasted what she might gain from disobedience. When both sets of eyes leave you, your shoulder leans against that of a nearby tree, a silent spectator who would not speak of your ills. A warm trickle flows down the palm of your hand, as it has done for the past several hours, cold and pale, wetted by its many brothers and sisters. You aren’t done yet, Anonymous. Your blood will not run dry this day.

The rags upon your wrists squelch as you push yourself off the toughened bark to regroup with the others, but not before leaving your bloody mark upon its wooden skin. The same mark left trailing the countless miles at your back…

Your feet measure each step as you begin across this bridge, the wooden planks beneath you molded and weak, yet another piece long forgotten by these equines. Andrew stands at the other end, helping Fluttershy make the final step across before looking back to you, ever-watching. No fear finds its way upon your visage, nor does the pain that creeps up your arm. To show such weakness before your men would be to invite doubt into your ranks, and doubt is no true soldier.

Another step causes your racing heart to skip, the plank beneath your foot cracking in half exposing its damp core and forcing a hand to the nearby rope. The scare, as some would call it, is one you predicted may occur, but it is the pain from the grip that causes the grimace upon your face. Perhaps doubt will be drafted after all… ”Sire-” You cut him short as you raise your other hand and continue across the bridge, once again focusing on your breathing.

“No mere fall shall call itself my bane, brother. My demise will come from the blade…” He locks you at the elbow and pulls you across, the wet squash of your rags against his leather vambrace earning another look. “What spins about your head, brother?”

His eyes travel to your forehead and the gathered sweat that dampens your brow before lowering down to your arm, still locked with his, still dripping… ”Open the door, sister. We’ll be along shortly,” he calls back to Fluttershy, already adopting her as his own. He should know she’ll have trouble opening it herself… and he does. Andrew waits until the strained grunts of Fluttershy can be heard before he finally speaks in whispers. “How much have you lost?”

“Some… I’ll manage.”

“May I?” He asks with a raised hand, to which you nod, allowing him to set it atop your chest. “Your chest pounds against me, my lord.”

“Almost falling has a way of afflicting men with such a condition,” you try to smile at him, but his gray stubble remains firm and unyielding.

”How much have you lost, my lord?” Always perceptive, this one. Despite your attempts, Andrew will always see, will always understand. It’s the reason you keep him close.

“Our path runs red… My hands as warm as the winter breeze.”

His lips scrunch as he inspects them for himself. “You fought in Canterlot, after your blood first broke from skin,” he states rather than asks. “You need to rest, my lord.”

“Out of the question!” you snap at him, stopping yourself when you see Fluttershy pause her efforts to look back. “… our brothers require a firm hand.”

”And they shall have it,” he pleads with you, placing a hand upon your shoulder, the simple act almost collapsing your legs. “Should the men see you in such a state… I must insist.” You stare back into his eyes with furrowed brow, “My loyalty is yours, sire. I will not doubt your judgment, but only when your mind is your own.”

You’d kill him for this defiance, he knows it well as does each member of your race… and to sacrifice himself for the betterment of his people? No leader can ask for a truer soldier. “One day’s loss, another’s victory.”

”Rest today, gain strength tomorrow.”

You pause, silently nodding your head before the door finally creaks open. “G-got it.”

Andrew smiles before returning to you, “And what of the mare?”

“She has taken the oath… She shall tend to me while you oversee our men.”

”And you trust her?” A question of paramount importance. Can you trust her? Will you?

“We shall see…”

Released at last you move to the doorway with the same posture you would any other moment in passing, chest held high, chin looking forward, no signs of weakness. You can’t help but note Fluttershy’s gusty inhalation as you pass, no doubt noticing the crimson drops that fall from your sword arm. “Sister,” Andrew starts behind you, “Where might your medical supplies be?”

You tune them out as you enter the ruinous entrance, fresh sunlight still beaming down upon you, yet even now you can feel the torch’s glow. You revel in every crunching step, the cold of stone that once complimented your own ghostly appearance now eroded away beneath your feet. Crates and other supplies are still piled near the entrance and before you lies the resting place for the elements themselves, no longer hidden from the world but robbed of their gems. ”Sire!” Ahh yes, you have certainly returned to your people.

“As you were, my brother,” you call out, not bothering yourself to look in whichever way he was from you. For now, for these precious few seconds that have not yet lapsed, you wish to be there, back in that ancient corridor when the air still held her scent. It was a different time. When you close your eyes, you can see her sitting upon that throne, head held high, the leader you had known she could become, but when they open…

”Go on, sister,” Andrew waves Fluttershy further down the corridor to where the thrones now lay cracked and discarded, no leader to hold them. “She searches for her provisions. We made no note of them.”

“Where did we falter? How cruel a mistress must fate be to us?” You lay a hand on the Element’s pillar, not a speck left of its vibrant aura. “To betray us…”

”You shall bring upon them the vengeance of ten thousand men… When we return to such numbers, of course.” You sport a half-cracked smile and nod, swallowing hard as your hand falls back to your side, a most unpleasant sensation accompanying it. “Let us make haste, my lord. To delay, would be to invite unwanted company.”

“Death?” You can’t help but chuckle in your growing haze as you follow Andrew with feigned strength in your step. “That reaper has ached for my company since our first meeting… Shame I could not prolong our engagement.”

“And you will not be making his next appointment, sire. I will see it so.”

“Please do…” You rub your hands together in hopes to bring some warmth to their form. “I hate surprise visitors.” Raised voices beckon you from further ahead, two of your men towering over the equine, hands clenched upon their steel. What fools they are. Fluttershy stands trembling between them, her ears drooped and tail tucked at their barking, their questioning. It is too early to hope for the equine to have adapted to such conditions.

”…never. Run back to where you came from Equine.”

“Lie to us again and we will not be as merciful.”

The two men are hardly in their late twenties, their spirits firm and unyielding but also arrogant and without thought. These men are fit for war, yes, but for what other tasks you would require, they would surely be worthless. ”B-but Andrew said-” She starts only for one of your men to raise his hand, an act which sends a surge of energy pumping through your veins.

As sluggish as you have slowly become, you move forth without fault, catching his hand before it moved to strike her. “My lord!” The soldiers shout in unison, the one whose wrist is locked in your bloody grasp riddled with a fearful unevenness. You struggle to keep your eyes fixed on his face, a white glaze or… or glow pasted alongside his form, but you make sure that your limbs do the talking.

“This one is mine,” the words seep from your mouth like chilled honey, slow but steady. “Raise your hand to her again, and you shall lose it. Am I understood, soldier?”

“Yes, si-“ He begins to nod only for his breath to escape him as your knee collides with his gut, the force of which breaching even that of his armor. Your legs buckle at the act, but as always, Andrew’s timing is impeccable, lending a helping but subtle hand to keep you stable and your standing unbroken.

You fight the grimace before it ever reaches you as you turn to the paired soldier, also attempting to keep his emotions in check as he stays in his paralyzed salute. You have half a mind to make an example of him as well, but cruelty without cause is one step that you shall not take.

Andrew, having served his purpose to you, kneels to the equine and sets a warm wrinkling hand upon her neck, “Did you find what you were looking for?” It is unknown whether her newfound silence stems from your men or even your own actions, but even though she may nod, a silent servant is of no use to you.

“Our ears still serve purpose, make use of them.”

”Y-yes.” Your head swings back around to glare at her, Fluttershy quickly learning what she had missed. “My lord.”

Your lips curl upwards as your eyes pass over the chest that rests beside her. The lids of your eyes quiver, and that is enough to firm your resolve. “Brothers, take hold of this chest and follow the equine… I take it you will keep your mouths shut this time.”

”Yes, sire.” Good. You are far too tired to listen to their needless dialogue.

The men grab hold of the chest as you struggle to look back up to the two thrones. So much could have changed… If only she had seen the truth of your actions. Andrew steps beside you, the old man holding in a laugh as the men are left holding what must surely be a hefty load, and they will continue to do so until you give the word otherwise. “We must be off, my lord.”

“No. I shall take my leave, but you shall remain.”

He pauses with a nod, “Our men shall work ‘til their backs lie broken.”

“Only then?”

He smiles before you take him in an embrace, “Strong sleep, my lord.”

With a wave of your hand of your hand Fluttershy follows behind you, only for you to stop and take a final look back. “Andrew, when I return that throne shall not meet my gaze.” With that, you turn your back upon the spectral equine that looks down upon you from her seat of power, a projection of what could have been and what you had lost.

“What are you waiting for,” Andrew shouts behind you, “Follow your newborn sister, now!” With a grunt of affirmation they shuffle behind you as you move east through the aging passageways. Fluttershy sticks close beside you, and as you are you find her warmth welcome.

“Have you not walked these halls, equine?”

”We umm, only came in once but we never-”

“A great deal of your history rests within these walls,” you allow your fingers to trail across the coarse stone that runs down your path. “A darker part, one shielded and forgotten through time. We shall make use of its former purpose…”

Fluttershy moves to whisper, “You should save your strength- I mean-”

“Do not think to know what I should do, equine,” you snap back in response. “I have lived longer than you can know, and I did not do so by following the orders of others.” Her lips fall silent, though the soft chuckle of your men sounds off as a poisonous cloud in your air. “You will not laugh when your hands dirty upon your work in the latrine, soldiers… Andrew will see to that.” Once again you find yourself in the company of silence, save for the echoing thump resonating down and throughout the hall, each step a note in this peaceful chorus. As it stands, your own feet find trouble repeating this rhythm.

At last, you arrive at your destination in the eastern wing, your old chambers. Shame your men could not receive the same treatment in times past. They shall finally know the comfort of walls, a damning sensation that will prove to weaken them, but… it might lift their spirits. You seem to lack that quality. “Place the chest along the wall there,” you sigh, pointing absentmindedly to your right against the wall. “A realm undisturbed. At least Celestia had the good sense to allow it peace.”

Heaving as they do, your men place it alongside your cupboard as you allow yourself to walk around your room once more, parting a gaze to the adjoining rooms. One where you might clean yourself, and the second, thanks to Celestia’s touch, one where you might relax in true silence, only a window high above where you might be disturbed. ”Sir,” they interrupt your thought as a finger trails the bed, the room’s focal point as it juts out towards the doorway.

“Leave us,” you shoo them away, your shoulder resting against the bed’s corner column as they turn away with a salute. “Fluttershy, take what you need.” Is it hard to breathe in here or… No, it is merely you. Fluttershy passes you, making her way to the chest as you make your own to the table sitting against the leftward wall, more of a curve than anything but… “Damn these wounds,” you grunt, barely able to pull out your chair enough to sit. “Damn them.”

Your attempt to sit is hardly elegant as your legs finally break their form, collapsing under your own weight and slamming your back against the wall. “Ano-”

“As you were, Fluttershy,” you manage through clenched teeth. You take your time and allow the moment to pass, settling back into a rhythmic trance of breathe. “As you were…” The chest clamp springs open as she gets to work in her search, though the metallic click is nothing compared to the wet squelch as your right arm rests upon the table, a pool forming under the rag.

”I-it’ll just be a few seconds.” You lean your head back and focus on your breathing, deep breathes in and out.

“Take your time…” This will not be your end, you know this to be true, but it is this feeling, this sense of lifelessness that serves as a reminder to what you stand to lose. One mistake, even planned, can result in such- loss.

The ding of a bottle stirs your mind and body, Fluttershy taking a seat across from you as she lays down a small white box adorned with a red cross. She opens it, revealing a healthy armament of supplies within it, along with several types of bandages and alike. Opening the bottle she douses her hooves in the liquid before settling her eyes on the rag that binds your wrists, the troublemaker of the two that is. ”I’m going to umm, have to open it up. Is that alright?” You nod your head, saving your breath as she had suggested. It was a good suggestion, but your men might think something to be amiss should you listen to an equine, especially a prisoner such as her.

With a great deal of care, Fluttershy nudges the soaked bandage aside, the mare almost gagging as the mass of flesh comes into view. “O-oh-”

“The wound shall leave its mark upon me, even after it has healed. Scars are but memories, Fluttershy, each wound a chapter.” She takes the bottle in hoof and raises it above your arm, your fist clenching in suspense, a short ooze of blood escaping beneath your wrist. “Do it…” You await the sting, that blistering pain you had hoped to never experience again, but it never comes. It stings, yes, but in no way does your skin squirm at the touch, the shredded flesh of your arm parts as grass in an evening breeze. “There is no pain,” you look even closer, almost as if you could see this strange paradox of medicine. “That was alcohol, yes?”

“Oh no. I would never let any of my friends use that. They’re just so small and I hate to see them in pain.”

“An alternative to cleanse a wound? Fascinating.”

”Nobody should get hurt trying to get better.” What should and what will occur often never walk the same road. Dampening a small cloth, the mare sees to your wound, the muscles of your cheek twitching with every ounce of pressure. “Sorry.”

“Quit with the apologies,” your irritation getting the better of you. “I wish you to speak your mind in privacy, but your insistent begging for forgiveness turns my stomach.” As you had hoped, she remains without response, instead choosing to focus on your bloodied arm.

”I umm…” You turn your head back as Fluttershy seems to stop herself from removing your drenched rag. “Can you- Eep” It takes her a minute to replace it with a more sterile towel, the strands brushing against your exposed flesh causing you to bare your teeth. “Okay… Can you flip your wrist for- Oh my…” Adhering to her request reveals the true source of your suffering, a ruptured vein below your wrist that your body saw fit not to seal, though your actions may have kept such a pathway open. As they say, six of one, half dozen of another. That is what they say?

Almost on instinct she presses the cloth against the vein, not stopping even when you strike your own leg in response. “I have to stop the bleeding.”

“I know that!” You grunt, part of you glad this condition does not apply both of your wrists, else your body had run dry outside of Canterlot. “I am… not as accustomed to pain as I wish I was.” Sucking in breath you clench the cloth of your pants, partly to distract yourself from the pain, partly because you never liked the way they felt, alas… You chuckle to yourself, almost out of insanity you’re sure Fluttershy might think so. “It’s quite humorous, even I, Anonymous, the wicked two leg of Equestria, have my own Uru’s bane. Heresy, some might say, even to suggest such a thing.”

Despite the pain you can’t help but smile. The blood loss really is getting to you. “E-excuse me?”

“One day you shall awaken to find history not such a boring place. Uru, the Hydra, the lord of the bog, the terror of the wood… No no, that was Melvor. Or- When he fell wouldn’t the title- Titles, words and nothing more.” Further inspecting your wound she moves to apply her a bandage, the bleeding down to a mere trickle. “As I was saying, Uru, massive Hydra, one of the few threats Equestria has faced that posed a true danger. Some days I question just why he turned mad, then again, when one has seven minds the likelihood of sanity raises exponentially.”

Fluttershy pauses her work for but a second, “You killed him…”

“I did what needed to be done. Monsters roamed the countryside, fleeing the confines of the forest merely to avoid a chance encounter with the beast. Were I them, I would do the same, but to my fortune, I am Anonymous.”

You see the red of her eyes but choose not to acknowledge it. “And I assume- *sniff* -you slew it singlehandedly. Even if it didn’t do anything wrong.” She speaks not of the hydra, but of another, the bear you slew before her, the one whose blood she washed from your back. The past is a dream, and such memories, nightmares. Some are best to be forgotten.

“No, my little equine, I was content to allow Uru life, but when his path pointed towards the city, my hand was forced. I rode to meet him, but not alone. I travelled with my company of fifty men-at-arms, brothers who had earned my respect through years of combat. Other immortals came to my aid, Melvor the manticore, Cumaru and his pack of timberwolves, minotaurs and buffalo alike.”

Grabbing a roll of cloth, Fluttershy begins to wrap your wound. To her benefit, she is performing much better than you. “All of them?”

“Make no mistake, I do not revel in war, as I said, bloodshed is a necessity, and I will only choose to fight when it is needed. Uru was one such case where others recognized the danger he posed if left unchecked.”

”And… Celestia?” She asks, almost fearing what you might say but wishing to hear all the same.

“Merely a child at the time. Nova, stood watch for her and her sister, allowing me to defend Canterlot in his stead. No, Fluttershy, Uru’s blood does not stain her hooves.”

Each pass of her hooves tightens your bandage, the underlying red soon covered in a pristine alabaster. “We- We saw a hydra once. He was so big and- and scary.”

“A babe in comparison, I’m sure. Even with our small army we failed to defeat him head on. A foolish strategy, but an insightful one. Even in defeat, one might learn more of his opponent. ‘Sever the head,’ they said. ‘It will stop him,’ they said. The simpletons fought with their body, but not with their mind. They stormed the field without a care in the world, facing a monstrous opponent of strength unparalleled save for their draconic kin.”

You watched. You waited. Every bite, every slam, every breathe both gaseous and of air, every twitch that rode through his scales as his neck swayed amongst the trees. You studied him, as any good hunter would.

“Many fell, even my own men whose guts outweighed their brains, but I found what I was looking for, I found Uru’s bane. It was a gap in his scales between his second and third head, just where the two necks met. The next day we faced him once more, our forces dwindled, either from death, injury or fear. We drew him out, wore him down for twelve hours before that gap opened and I severed the arteries that ran beneath those scales. It took the beast two days to bleed out… but when the sun rose on the third day, Uru joined our own who had perished.”

”They died, trying to protect Equestria,” Fluttershy whispers to herself. “They were heroes.”

“Heroism is a young man’s game,” you reply as she finishes up your bandage, applying an adhesive to seal it in place. “One born of selfishness. Heroes work only to build their own legacy, a memento against their inevitable demise.”

”And what is it that you do then? Why would you risk your own life for Equestria?”

“I’m not sure I like the tone of your voice, equine. I am no hero, I want no glory or medals. My goals stretch beyond this mass of flesh and bone,” wagging your newly patched arm in demonstration. “I fight, I kill, I murder, so that Celestia could be raised in peace, so that the farmer working his fields may feed his children, so that at the end of the day no child must feel worry if they shall see the morning next. That is what I have fought for. It is what I will always fight for until the day I am no longer needed…”

A feeling of light-headedness pours over you, stopping you from continuing your rant, for which you are thankful. Your heart can hardly stay contained within your chest as it is, and your excited speech has not worked in your favor. “I- I in need of rest. We may speak of this another time.”

”But- but your other-”

“You shall work in my slumber,” you strain to push yourself up, your muscles taxed though they have gone without work. “Surely, you know how to be discrete.”

Hunching over like an elderly man you grasp onto the nearby column of your bed, your breathing already labored from a simple exertion. “Let me help you.” Coming beneath your arm, Fluttershy uses her wings to help straighten your back as she guides you to bed. It is fortunate that there is no wall to slam yourself upon as you sit this time. Undoing your belt you hold it out to Fluttershy who hesitantly takes it from you so you may position yourself better.

“I have not felt a bed’s warmth for many a generation. I find the experience, refreshing.” You manage to undo the rag by yourself and drop it to the floor with a heavy plop. “Fluttershy,” you call out still raising your arm, “Might you have another towel that I might rest this upon. A male with bloody sheets is quite the role reversal.”

She scurries off to her chest once more as you ease back into the firm yet yielding pillow beneath you, ears keen as the latch clicks open once more… followed by silence. From this angle you can barely see her, neck crooned in such a way that she would be looking upon something with great fervor… and a whimper. “Fluttershy, what draws your tears?”

She shakes it off with a sniff, wiping her eyes so you might not see the wetness that plagues them. “It’s- it’s nothing. I should have a…” She slowly turns to meet your gaze, not needing to hear your words to obey your command. From within her chest she draws out a square frame, simple, ordinary but it is what lies within that allows her such grief.

Placing the towel beneath your arm you take the picture from her with your good hand, though it might be hasty to provide it such an adjective. “These are your friends,” you question mindlessly as you scan over the picture. “I recognize some from your village.” Fluttershy doesn’t stop her work to answer, but you are too engrossed to notice. Six ponies reside in the picture, most of whom you know. On the top resides a Pegasus, rainbow of mane, not the most outlandish that you have come across but very Sue of her nonetheless.

Beside her, in her usual joyful manner, is Pinkie, hoof stretched to the sky with an unsurprising grin that even now finds a way to stretch to your own. Beneath sits three different ponies, only the far right one binding in mystery. Golden mane tied at the ends with a hat of some sort atop her head, you assume her to be part of a more rural culture, as the discoloring of her hooves, while not prominent, can be seen all the same. To her left are two you do recognize, the deplorable Rarity, whom you hope to reintroduce yourself to once the amulet is in your grasp, and Fluttershy, as demure a creature as she is today.

But it is when you look to the center, to the last pony, does Pinkie’s infectious smile fall. Twilight, the pretender, the abomination, the ‘princess.’ “This shall not reside in my chambers while I draw breath. Remove it,” pushing the frame back into her hooves.

“They’re-” she quiets down, bowing her head, “They’re all I have left.”

“Did I ask you of its importance? No. As long as that abomination resides in that picture it shall not taint my chamber. Understood?”

“As you wish,” she turns back, voice riddled with the pains of rejection… You never enjoyed watching another’s distress. Perhaps-

“Wait,” you stop her with a sigh, finger motioning her back to you. Taking hold of the picture again you stare down the abomination, wings absent. “This, Twilight, has yet to succumb to blasphemy… Rest them where you wish and do not let us speak of it again.”

She doesn’t smile as you’d expect her to, an oddity you will make note of in the future. Instead she returns to the cupboard, setting the frame atop, staring directly at you. “She’s not blasphemous…”

“So this is why you lack the thrill of victory? Because of my feelings towards that pretender? Perhaps I should inform you of this, but you will not come to like me. I was raised in a much different time, one where we honored tradition, unlike your own where you allow such a creature to climb your highest ranks.”

For the second time, you see anger burn within her heart, her irises sending a tingle down your spine. “She is not a ‘creature!’ Twilight is my friend, she’s nice, and fair, and she wouldn’t hurt anypony like -you- would!” You smile and manage to push yourself up to meet her, your heart nearly fluttering as she does not back down. “You talk a lot about how you just want to help, but all I ever see is you try and hurt ponies.”

“Do not think to know me, Equine,” you cease to address her by her name as you scold her. “Do not think to know what I have lost to stand where I am today.”

”You don’t care about anypony but yourself, not even your own ponies. They’re scared of you.”

“As they should be!” You shout as you rise to your feet, only to collapse beneath your own weight, your forearm colliding with the floor to break your fall. “I am of the three. I did not ask to be a leader,” you pant breathlessly, hardly able to speak.

Fluttershy lowers herself, your prone form seemingly taming the inferno within her, “Let me-“

“Away!” You slap her hoof away and draw your sword, the mare gasping as if it were her final breath, but instead of impaling the disobedient swine, you instead pin it to the floor so you might drag yourself back up. Plopping back down upon your bed you return the sword to its sheath before collapsing back, the rest of your strength utterly sapped.

Fluttershy looks over you with worried glances only to calm at your smile. “W-why are you smiling?”

“Blood loss. Insanity. The rush of nostalgia over a heated argument. Choose wisely, Fluttershy, for each is as deadly as the next.”

”But- You’re not angry?”

“Furious,” you chuckle, “but you are right. My men do fear me, my actions have not proven true to my goal, but often times the flow of a stream holds no clue to the beauty as it falls down the mountain side. I did not choose to lead, and perhaps neither did your Twilight. Alas, I cannot ignore what she is, nor can you ignore what I am.”

”Why do you hate her? She hasn’t done anything wrong. She- she’s helped Ponyville so much, she- She stopped Nightmare Moon and Discord, saved the crystal ponies from Sombra, she even-“

“Actions unseen to me, as my actions are unseen to you. Should she have been born in my time, we still would despise the other, but our works would act in unison. I despise her, Fluttershy, because in the beginning, when life first reached this hunk of rock, there were three,” you recite to her as you had the children of your own kind when you found the time to do so. “Three races who rose above all others. The Griffons, the Equines, and man. Three from each were blessed with a great gift, immortality, strength, some even magic. Nova, the great stallion, was one of these three Equines, as were Celestia’s mother and father. When one brings forth a child, their spirit passes, as I told you once before. No fourth was ever born, only the three. Only ever three…”

You grimace as you unclasp your belt and lay back upon your pillow, Fluttershy attempting to help but amounting to little more than a bother, not that you will complain. Turning to her, you do not see the Pegasus whom has sworn you servitude. Instead, you look up at Celestia herself, mane drifting despite the lack of breeze, those eyes that’s light never seems to fade. “I protected you. I-” you reach out to touch her, only for the pain in your arm to cast her image aside, leaving only the Pegasus beside you. “I need water. There should be a pump in the next room over…”

Galloping away she returns, a small cup in hoof. She lowers it to your lips, the taste of dust polluting the liquid, but it serves its job well. Shutting your eyes you sink deeper into the sheets, Fluttershy continuing her treatment of your other injury. “The days before you will be dark, my little pony. No light shines upon our path, no harmony will ease your heart. Strength, is not simply a matter of muscle, of steel, of magic. Strength… of the mind,” you point to your own skull before drifting down to your chest, “And of the heart. To endure where others would fall. To suffer while others run free. This is true strength, Fluttershy.”

”I’ll do my best.” You lean forward a hair, locking your hand to her forehoof forcing a gasp from the timid mare.

“My days will lean me down a familiar road, a path I watched my kin take long ago. My actions will reveal the demon that resides within this mass of flesh, and he will be the monster Uru could only hope to be.” You need to sleep, to give yourself to the weight of your eyes and the embrace of comfort, but not yet. A little longer. Fluttershy tries to turn away but you pull her back into your gaze. This next part is crucial. “I tell you this, not to frighten or intimidate, but to teach you of your duties. When I return to these chambers, when we are but two souls together, speak to me, tell me of your friends and family, remind me of what it is I have fought for.” You’re not sure if it’s the loss of blood or a last minute attempt of redemption, but you have to, just this once. “Please…”

Her eyes stretch at the word, and to be fair it is one you had predicted. You are not one to ask for- for anything. Humans take, or they do not. We do not ask. ”I-” Damn your stuttering, your suspense helps me not. “I’ll- Phew… I’ll do my best, my lord.”

Content, you fall back, releasing her hoof as well. Drowsiness begins to take you, each moment your lids falling another inch. “When we are but two souls together, I am Anonymous, no rank or title to my name. Just Anonymous.”

She puts a hoof atop your head as your eyes finally close in slumber, “Hush now, quiet now… It’s time to lay your sleepy head.”

~~~

Your eyes snap open to find the black void awaiting you, death’s- Wait, no ash fills your lungs, no monsters lurk behind these shadows. “Ugh,” you groan as you manage to push yourself up, a single hand moving to your blistering head, “By the light, from what infernal pit do I wake?”

A single ray of light pierces the blackness, the moon’s aura illuminating the doorway before you. “Hmmm…” Your head twitches at the hum, your eyes adjusting just enough to make out the sleeping Pegasus at the table, head bound within her arms like a child in their studies.

“Fluttershy,” groaning once more but with increased fervor, the mare slowly awakening from her own sleep.”

Her wings flex, stretching outwards as she escapes her unconscious, eyes flickering much a growing flame, “Anonymous!” Almost as if she had not missed a step, she flurries over to your side, hooves pawing at your every inch, “You really should go back to sleep. You need your-”

“Water,” you interrupt her, mind slowly becoming clearer. When her hoof fails to leave your eyes meet hers, “I will not give an order twice.”

“Al-alright.” Grabbing the cup she retreats into the washroom, allowing you to swing your legs off the side, still rubbing the sides of your throbbing skull. Your limbs seem to have gained in weight since their last use; it would be unwise to tax them at this hour. Pushing your chest skyward you take a deep breath, heart and lung still paced as the racing hares of the north. “Here we-” she doesn’t finish as you snatch the cup from her grasp, drowning yourself in its contents before giving a relieved sigh. “T-thirsty?”

“Drier than the Sa-hare…” you give her a light smirk before returning to a more serious look. “My belt, where…”

You trail off as she opens your cupboard, the handle’s metallic glimmer shining true in the moonlight. “You fell asleep on it after taking it off…”

“Hmm, a most uncomfortable sleep you prevented me, my thanks.”

Though the words dare not leave your lips, her smile is welcome to you. As you begin to tie the belt back around you, Fluttershy speaks up again, “I saw- I mean, when I was putting your belt away, that you had a uh, chess board. Do- do you play?” You nod, unclasping your sheath from the belt itself and planting its tip to the ground. “I didn’t know-”

“Many things, I am sure. Did you know the first game was played by the Buffalo? They invented the game, after all.”

“Oh, I uh, didn’t know that,” she hushes down for a minute as you tighten your belt, “but, I didn’t know you played.”

“Yes yes, many times. My skills have not yet allowed me to overcome that of my teacher, High Chief Winterstead, an old buffalo, wise beyond his years.”

“Is he… like you?”

“Similar. The son of another, he was, but I would hope he still walks to this day so that I might face him once more. Perhaps this time, it is he that will lose.”

You start to stand only for Fluttershy’s protective nature to spring her into action, “No no you mustn’t-” Your hand catches her hoof with a light squeeze, your strength still not yet returned to you, and with a single glare you force her down. Settling upon your sword, you use it as a crutch, allowing most of your weight upon it so that you might stand.

“While my flesh might need recovery, this grants you neither right nor power over me, equine. Remember your oath.”

”Sworn upon my vows I pledge,” she murmurs, allowing you to test your limbs as you walk about the room.

“You are my servant to the eyes of my men, no act against me will be tolerated, lest my hand strike you once more.” Hitting a woman, hitting a mare… When your blood runs hot- After all these years you lack the ability to control that savage piece of you, the familial instinct that runs in your veins.

When you look back to her through the darkness you see her rubbing her cheek, a memory that might haunt her for some time, reality smacking her back out of the illusion Celestia has cast upon her. Though… even without her leader’s deceit, she is of pure heart. Her next punishment is not one you shall look forward to.

“Do you play chess, Fluttershy?”

“Once… I was never very good, and umm, I never had the time. Animals and all…” Understandable, they likely kept her occupied for many hours of the day, but perhaps she might entertain you. Crutching over to the door you ask if she might wish to do just that, and even in the darkness you see her cheeks flush red. “Well, Twilight always tried to get me to play so…” She pauses as your face turns sour, the mere mention of her name- “I would love to.”

“Save such words for an activity of merit, Fluttershy,” holding open the door to follow you. “It would be unfortunate for such a term to lose its meaning.” She raises a brow in question, but does not allow her lips to query the statement, instead moving behind you as you enter the scantily lit hall.

“Where are we going,” she asks as you make your way slowly down the hall, the moon’s light barely reaching the castle’s inner workings. “I mean, if you want to tell me.”

“Night is upon us and I have yet to eat since sunrise, surely your stomach growls in appetite as well.” On cue, you hear the rumble of her tummy- Note, never use that word again. Old vocabulary is often the most persistent.

”Just a little, I guess.” Of course she is. It is only natural.

“However, I must query, Andrew, in a matter of grave importance.”

”And that is?” Should you not know better, it would appear she were extracting you for information on matters she needn’t be concerned about. “…Nevermind.” You chuckle as you continue onwards, the boisterous sound of laughter echoing down the hall to you. “At least they’re happy.”

“They shall have their moment beneath the stars, but once morning breaks their laughter will turn to labor, their true art.”

”Don’t you think you-” She cuts herself off with a shake of her head, and, in her own way, almost beckons you to discover this rogue question of hers.

“Do I not think what?”

“D-don’t take it the wrong way, but- Don’t you think you’re a little… harsh? To your men.” Hmm, you never thought about it before truth be told, it was merely how this relationship went.

“No,” you answer her as you make your way back to the main corridor, “Do you?”

”Well…” She shrugs her shoulders, keeping her face behind that fluorescent mane of hers.

“My men have learned that this is their place to me, and I do not tolerate misconduct under my command. If other leaders had taken note of my practice, this conflict need not have occurred.” No, her force would be strong, resilient, trained. Upon your revival, she would be exactly what you had envisioned, but her betrayal… Tsk tsk, your men deserved better.

The scent hits you first, an aroma of freshly cooked meat that makes your mouth salivate and stomach grumble. Alas, Fluttershy is not as susceptive to such an aroma, quite appalled or offput by it, in fact. Equines… Trudging along with your sword you feel the first waves of the warmth escaping from the fiery pit where you men now huddle. Skewered above the fire, only the tips of flames licking its underside is the source of this delightful aroma, bear.

Fluttershy’s breath cuts short at the sight, first Angel, her bunny, and now it is Mr. B that resides upon the fire and soon in the gut of your men. “Strength to endure…” you begin, keeping your voice hushed for the time being.

”Where others would fall,” she croaks, the sight almost too much for her to bear… Don’t say it, Anonymous… That was good though.

“You are a sister to them now, do not show them weakness for they will exploit it should you allow them.” Placing a calming hand on her neck you can feel the frantic beating of her heart, mirroring your own. “And you are my sister as well.”

She looks to you at this, this familial bond you now verbalize to her. “I’ll do my best… my lord.”

“I expect no less, sister.”

From the fireplace you see Andrew turn, passing his cooking to one of the others as he makes his way to you, “My lord, you have returned so soon?”

“My actions are my own, are they not, brother? I shall not stay locked up while my men lack guidance.”

His eyes travel down to your bandages, thankfully having kept their white exterior, a sign of their success. “It would appear my sister’s work proved triumphant,” he smiles down at her. “You have my gratitude, small one.” Once more she blushes and hides behind her mane with nothing more than a ‘thank you.’ ”How do you feel, my lord?”

“A few pints lighter,” you chuckle with him, placing a hand on his shoulder, “How are the men?”

His smile fades at the question, changing to that of concern, even Fluttershy notices the change, “What’s wrong?”

“I was… hoping to have resolved the situation before you had awakened, but… It seems I was unsuccessful.” Your eyes turn to your men around the campfire and in the flailing shadows you would not see a rise for concern, but that is at a glance. “It happened before the sun had fallen. They walked right in, almost as if they belonged.” Six men walked from your burial site that night, only six. Then why is it that same number sits around that fire, while two stand and watch. “I have attempted to learn more from them, but have acquired nothing of merit. Forgive me, sire.”

The hand that grips your sword tightens as your eyes travel to the two infiltrators, their black husks morphed into the shape of your own kind, the leather armor you possess crudely mimicked as if they thought it our own skin. What truly turns your stomach is their eyes, hungering bulbs of blue seeking to devour any source of affection they might glimpse. “Changelings…” you growl as Fluttershy moves from behind you to see. “Parasites, the lot of them. Why have they crawled from their caves?”

“I have failed to learn as much, sire, but as of yet, they do not know of their discovery.”

“I don’t see them,” Fluttershy tilts her head in confusion, her own eyes susceptible to their illusion. “Where are they?”

“Soon, Fluttershy. Brother, what of our men?”

“They mingle as best they can, but the changelings’ appearance… Disgusts them.”

“And so we shall do the same. See to it that your sister is fed, then I will require food of my own, Fluttershy.” You wave them off, Andrew leaving with a salute as you climb the steps to Luna’s throne, no longer joined by her sister’s. Clenching your teeth you take your seat, looking out as the moonlight shines down upon you, silently drumming your fingers along the cold stone at your side.

Silently you watch these two interlopers interact with your own troops. What could they be thinking coming here? Were they intrigued by you, by your kind? Most certainly, after all, you have not roamed these lands in many ages. Their husks sag in wrinkled strips at their wrists, crude mimicry at its finest. They have watched your men, but what they learned? Nothing.

A soldier of yours speaks to one of them, the one with the scar. What was his name? Brian? Brennan, yes, that miserable sod. Even now you can see the barely contained repulsion in his eyes. He laughs heartily though his face is strained, the changeling recipient obviously confused by the joke but soon follows in the same manner. They gave an attempt, you will give them that.

Fluttershy scurries off with Andrew, the changelings spying her movement from the corner of their insect-like eyes as do your men, though they seem more interested in her backside… Have they no control? You’re sure that should either you or Andrew be absent, they would not hesitate to… use her, and that very thought warms your blood. Not in the good way.

As your eyes follow her, you almost miss a certain scene, an innocent gesture that might work to your advantage. Brennan had just cut a piece of bear for himself, but with crimson knife still in hand, the changeling shook his head… You needn’t ears to hear his offer. Yes, this will work quite well. Fluttershy soon comes forth to the group, still unaware of the infiltrators true identity, bearing a plate upon her wing.

She refuses to watch as Brennan cuts off another piece, her throat clenching in an effort to stop herself from hurling. She must learn to accept this, lest each day be a trial of endurance. Brennan looks to his brother as she leaves, smacking him upside the head when he sees where he’s looking and you can’t help but smile. There is always a glimmer of hope. Andrew returns to the men before turning his gaze to you, lighting a plank of wood once you give him a nod.

”Your umm…” She stutters only for you to slip it from her wing without another word. “Thank you.”

“You may wish to excuse yourself.” Andrew begins rounding up the men, changelings as well and sends them upwards towards you. “They are coming.”

“I- I should stay by your side.” Her hesitation is amusing, as is the audible gulp where she swallows her fear. “My duty is my charge.” What else can you do but shrug. The choice was hers, and somehow she still surprises you.

“As you wish.” Biting off a piece of meat the last of your men finally reach your throne, each saluting before taking a knee, even your guests. “Men…”

”Sire.” They call in unison, changelings a second behind.

“Today… is a good day to die, but I do not see the gates of Tartarus once more. Neither shall you as long as arm strikes true. You!” You point to one of the changelings, “Stand. What is your name?”

“Daybreak, sire.” It takes all your effort not to slay him right here, giving himself an Equestrian name.

“You look a strong sort, one whose loyalty shall remain forever unbroken. Can my assumption be deemed truth?” He nods, another offense. “Sit.” He does as you ask, a drop of sweat building on his face. You turn to Andrew, the only of them who still stands, torch in hand.

“You, what is your name?”

“Andrew, my lord,” he answers in salute, voice firm and unyielding. “How might I serve as example?”

“You see men, even in his elder years, this man’s strength remains eternal, unbroken. By my side on the field of ash we slew many a griffon together, and his loyalty proves true even till this day. Why do you still fight, Andrew, my brother?”

”My duty is my charge, my lord.”

“And when does your oath end?”

”Only when my light has faded.” The group rests in silence, your nod allowing him to return as he was. “Thank you, my lord.” You sigh, tearing another bite from the cooked flesh, quite savory but now is no time for such compliments. Even now you can hear Fluttershy’s harsh breath, each bite turned a gasp.

“Brennan, stand,” you gesture him up, his hand trembling atop his chest. “Why do you serve me still?”

”I took an oath, swore by blood. I will follow you to death’s door.”

“There is no need to expand,” raising your hand at his needless bloating. “Tell me, were you to deceive me, what would be your punishment?”

He opens his mouth but pauses, “I’m not sure, my lord. My punishment would be of your choice.”

“Certainly. Now, brother, on the night of our rebirth, how many men left that stretch of forest alive?”

You can see him counting in his head, starting over when he loses count, “Six, my lord, yourself included.”

“Very good, brother. It puzzles me, how many stand here today?”

He looks around before choosing his final answer, “Nine, my lord.” By Tartarus itself.

“How many ‘men’ stand here today?”

”Eight, I apologize.”

“Unnecessary, brother. Sit.” You twiddle the last hunk of meat on your plate between your fingers before turning your gaze to the second changeling, the air surrounding him positively humid from his sweating. “You… Come closer.” You look from under your brows as he approaches, kneeling as the others do with such lovely finesse, blech. “All of these questions, they can be interpreted different ways. Andrew might answer his oath ends upon death, true enough. Brennan, whose academics are lacking might simply say a few of our men walked with beating hearts that night, but… There is one question that cannot be misinterpreted, a simple question that’s answer resides so deep in the human psyche that each could answer without fault or hesitation. Do you know what this question is?”

You find yourself bearing a twisted grin as you lean forward, almost anxious for his answer. “No, b-but I’m ready to answer.”

“Enthusiasm, some find it a positive quality. I do not, but! The question… It’s simple really, you should have no trouble answering it. What is my name?”

Silence… No crickets in the distance, no shallow breaths, no whimpers, even the crackling of fire has ceased in this one moment. “Uh-”

“Hold him.”

His bulbous eyes nearly burst from their sockets at the command, Brennan pinning him down by the shoulders before the thought of escape dares cross his mind. Behind him the second changeling turns to flee, sprouting those transparent wings of his to take flight, only to be thrown down to earth by Andrew, knife pressed tight against his neck. “I wouldn’t do that if I were you.”

Fluttershy watches in horror as he’s brought to the front, his nose dripping the green evidence of his nature. “He-”

“And him,” you struggle to raise your sword to the other. “Changelings can morph into any creature they wish, but it is the illusion they project that fools their prey. Magic, it cannot fool the human eye.”

Baring their teeth with a hiss they change back to their natural form, legs choppy with horn and wing displayed proudly, even their two fangs… Some things never change. ”I didn’t even suspect… They could have come in your room and-”

“Hush now, Fluttershy, we’re in the presence of company. Unwanted company, I might add. Why have you come here?” Only air escapes their lips, and you dislike being ignored. It is… rude. “Bring this one forward,” you point to the one on the left, the one who had failed to answer your question. You know him the weaker one. “Are you hungry, changeling? I know I am.”

You bring your meal to your lips once more, savoring that last bit of juice that remains ever so succulent. The mere sight of it causes that scowl of his to twist into a more fearful pose.

“Why are you here, changeling, and I’ll think about not forcing this hunk of meat down your throat. Or have your kind become carnivorous since our last meeting? I would welcome the experiment.”

His lips open to speak only for his kin to shout before him, “We tell you nothing. We rather eat meat.”

”This one must have a strong stomach,” Andrew booms outward before squeezing tighter on his knife, “If you speak again, you’ll be feasting on your own intestines.”

“Now now, brother, let’s not act hastily. What say you, changeling, do you hunger for a true meal?”

”We-” He steals a glance over to his kin who shakes his head, “We were just looking for new sources of food. We meant no harm.”

“So said the scorpion to the frog,” you pause for a second before giving Brennan a nod. “Food time.”

”No! You promi- Grech!” You cut him off as you force the sizable chunk down his throat, the changeling gasping for air once your hand is free. “Promised…”

“I said I would think about it, nothing more,” you reply, wiping the saliva upon his neck. “But since you have been a good sport, I will allow you to live. No more harm shall come to you.” His throat convulses as he tries to throw up your offering, but a quick smack by Brennan puts him in line. Interrogations… How they seem to drag on. “What hive do you serve, changeling?” This time asking his peer, allowing the other a chance to digest. “I can’t say I am able to tempt you with more bear, but… Perhaps your own life will do.”

He sticks his nose up to your threat, a damning decision on his part, so instead you turn back to his more cooperative friend.

“Let us play another game, you answer my questions and I won’t flay your comrade. Sound entertaining, brothers?” The four of them cheer, slamming fists against their chests in their own warcry, only Andrew and yourself remaining silent. Fluttershy seems to have been paralyzed by recent events… She should have left.

“Andrew, Fluttershy is not feeling well. Bring her to my chambers.”

”No…” Was that a mere whimper upon the wind, or was that a refusal on the part of Fluttershy? “I- I can stay… To serve you, my lord.”

“As you wish… Again, changeling, what hive do you serve?”

”I- How you want answer?” Not what you were looking for. With a tap of your foot Andrew’s blade cuts down the length of his prisoner’s forehoof, the scream held in place by Andrew’s steady hand. “The- the hive! South hive!”

Strange, there are no hives upon Equestria’s southern shore, but the desperation in his voice… He does not lie. “Who leads this ‘Southern Hive?’ Do they hail from the Cavern Dwellers?”

“Don’t know second,” you raise your foot triggering a hasty response, “But! But name Chrysalis. Queen!”

“Shut up! They hold us anyways!” Is that the worst they can think will happen? Foolish creatures. Crutching over you take a knee so that you may remain at eye level with him. Your voice is hushed to a whisper but still loud enough for all to hear.

“If you fail to cooperate, or if you speak once more, I will have my men peel the husk from your flesh. We will break your hooves and nail them to the side so that your soft underbelly is exposed, and then we’ll drizzle you with butter and other seasonings, leaving you outside to cook a bit. We’ll leave you there, scaring off just the predators who would grant you a swift death. Bugs, worms, rodents… We’ll ignore the screams, the cries for mercy, and if the forest doesn’t finish you by sundown, I’m sure some of my men will be hungry. I won’t let them use a blade or axe. They’ll use their hands, picking bits of flesh off your body until you break, and you will break. I’ll be there, watching, waiting… Your kind has done nothing but oppose me, the least I can do is show my gratitude. Understood?”

With quivering lip he draw in a final breath, “Buck you.” You lower your head with a sigh. What a waste.

“Regretfully, brothers, you have one last task this night.”

Andrew yanks him by the neck, dragging him away clawing and screaming towards an isolated section of the castle… That’s when the real screaming begins. You return to the other changeling, this short trip already stretching your limits as it is. He’s positively stunned, mouth agape, stomach churning, but still standing. He has proven useful, and according to your promise, you shall leave him unharmed and intact.

“He was friend… Known since hatchling.”

“Return to your hive, changeling. Tell them what you have seen here and what I will do to your comrade…” You pause before turning away, finding one last thing to send him away with. “Tell your ‘Chrysalis’ that should I find one more changeling in this land, I will ensure that after I am finished with Equestria, her hive will be next. Now go… GO!”

It takes not a second after Brennan’s release that the prisoner bolts, the only evidence of his existence being the trail of vomit leading to the doorway. “We’re not really going to eat that thing,” Brennan asks hesitantly, knowing all too well the results of such questioning, “are we?”

“Only if you’re stomach growls, brother. I recommend a large lunch.” Moving off you look to the rest of your men who aren’t entirely sure what they’re supposed to do. Blind without orders, useless without a leader. “Should you spot another, I am to be informed at once. For tonight, seek accommodations within these empty halls. No man shall step forth in the northern wing… unless they wish to join our new guest.”

The last howls of the changeling end with a final salute from your men, your body finding rest upon the empty throne. “Why?”

“Speak up, Fluttershy, you are an Equine, not a mouse.”

“Why?” Ahh, the question of the ages. Why would you do that? For what purpose does that serve? You’ve had to answer that questions many times for Celestia, always doubting you, always questioning your intentions. It has pestered you since the first words were spoken. Perhaps it is life’s irony, that this question be the first you ever asked.

“Fear. I can as much place a blade upon this ‘Chrysalis’s’ neck as I can upon Celestia’s now. No, my presence is powerful but has not the range. Fear, fear is a concept, a virus upon the wind, an infectious organism that will not stop until all would submit… or it shall perish. His resistance was, convenient.”

Ascending the steps, Andrew returns from the prisoner’s ‘quarters,’ a splatter of green stained upon his boots. “Persistent creature, fighting put him right to sleep. I guarantee he’ll stay that way ‘till the sun rises.”

“Very good. Very very good…” You take yet another deep breath, but it never seems to be good enough. An, emptiness, still lurks within your chest. You need more rest.

“My lord…”

“Recovering still, brother. I will not be quite the same for some days I imagine. However, what luck have you with our… trinket?”

“I have searched her chambers, yet found nothing, and the armory held no better results.” You silently curse your luck. Without that amulet and a suitable host… Even with Celestia’s forces as they are, even a simple wave will destroy this castle in the sand. “I will continue my search, sir. I will find it.”

“Had I the men…” grumbling under your breath, you slam a fist upon your throne, “Damn her. Where did she put it?”

Keeping her head low Fluttershy eases into your conversation, “Maybe, I can help?” You scoff at the idea, making your feelings no secret as you delve deeper into thought, scouring over the castle in your mind. “I can- I mean, I may not be helpful for heavy things, but I’m very thorough. Angel always used to hide his carrots so I wouldn’t take them away.”

Andrew chuckles innocently, unaware of the inadvertent distress he had caused her, “While your intentions are pure, I fear you will not be of much use in this endeavor. We search for a, lost gift of our lord.”

“I want to help, please. What- what did it look like?” Rather insistent isn’t she?

Looking to you for approval you grant it, still caught up in thought. “It is an amulet, silver. The base resembles that of a shield and in its center a gem, ruby if I recall and just above the shield there is-”

“An alicorn.”

The word snaps you free, your eyes slowly turning to the helpful little pony. “You… you know of it?”

“Well, yes, I mean I…” she backs up into a corner as both of you share a piercing gaze at the equine. “I- I-”

“Fluttershy,” you push yourself over and kneel, making yourself as unthreatening as you can. An impressive feat if you succeed. “You swore an oath to me, do you recall?”

”Yes, but-”

“No buts. Now… This amulet,” you try to speak softly as not to spook her, “is very important to me. I want to ask you a question. Very simple, and by all means, take your time before answering. I’d hate for your answer to be false.”

She bites her lip and desperately tries to hide behind her mane, but not even there can she escape your overpowering, longing, deathly gaze.

“Where is the Alicorn Amulet?”

Comments ( 6 )

This story only gets more magnificent by the chapter:yay:

Wow how stupid could those changelings be? Even without seeing through their disquise you can't hide 2 people amongst 6 lol. Doesn't suprisme me though I doubt they get any kind of education

Looking forward to more!

I like it, a different story than most

Someone should rewrite this :twilightblush:

Login or register to comment