• Published 31st Oct 2013
  • 1,788 Views, 394 Comments

Pony-Z - Black Light



Ponies, Humans, Friendship, and Magic. What more do you need?...How about Guns, Zombies, and an Apocalypse? Yeah, that sounds about right.

  • ...
13
 394
 1,788

Chapter 37 - Diagnosis

Diagnosis

Pete's unconscious body was laying in a hospital bed. His entire left arm, from shoulder to hand, was wrapped in a stiff cast. His chest was surrounded by a multitude of bandages. Even so slowly his body began to stir. Pete opened his eyes and looked around. He tried to sit up, but groaned in pain moving his right arm over his chest.

"Well look who's finally awake." A voice said.

Pete turned his head and saw Jay standing a small ways off in the doorway, his arm in a sling.

"Your arm?" Pete asked laying his head back down.

"Yeah, turns out holding on to a thrashing monster's neck isn't the best thing you can do for your arm." Jay told him. "But then again, neither is using it to try to cushion the impact of being launched into a wall."

"Very funny." Pete told him turning his neck as Jay sat down next to the bed. "What's the damage?" He asked.

"Well...I'm not gonna sugarcoat it, you're in bad shape. Combining the hit from behind that you took, which luckily somehow didn't break your spine, and the impact with your arm. You might not be field ready for awhile." Jay told him.

"Give me the specifics." Pete told him.

Jay sighed. "When we got you here your shoulder was dislocated and the rest of your arm was broken in three places. The shoulder was a decently easy fix, but the breaks, your bone broke through the skin in two of the breaks. With my arm as it was I wasn't able to preform the surgery required to fix it so I had to talk a few of the doctors here through the procedure, considering they were operating on a different species I'd say they did pretty well." Jay told him.

"How long till I can take this thing off?" Pete asked looking at the large cast on his arm.

"Best case scenario, three weeks till the cast comes off and four months of physical therapy. That's the best case mind you." Jay told him.

Pete sighed. "Well that's not too bad I suppose. I'll aim for three months to be done with this." He said.

Jay looked at him with a sad expression. "Pete, there's one other thing." He said, getting Pete's attention. "You might not of broken your spine luckily, but you didn't come out unscathed." Jay paused for a moment. "The hit caused a lot of damage to the T9 and T10 segments of your spine."

"In English please." Pete told him.

"Well at least now that you're awake I can conduct the next part of the examination." Jay said to himself ignoring Pete's statement for a moment. "...Lift up your leg." Jay said to Pete.

"Fine." Pete said rolling his eyes. He looked down at his legs and started to lift the right one. It raised around two inches before Pete let out a small gasp and it fell back down onto the bed. "Why can't I lift it!?" Pete asked turning to Jay.

Jay let out a small sigh of relief. "Well good news first, you don't have a complete spinal injury. Bad news, you do have an incomplete spinal injury."

"What does that mean?!" Pete asked with some anger.

"It means that there is a chance you will be able to walk again." Jay answered him.

"chance to walk again?" Pete repeated quietly. He quickly turned his head back to his legs and got a strained look on his face as the leg lifted an inch off the bed again.

"LEG DOWN!" Jay ordered causing Pete's leg to fall onto the bed again. "I'm not risking you screwing yourself over for some feeling of pride or whatever it is you want!" Jay told him forcefully. "You were luck enough that hit didn't break your spine, you're luck that you can move your legs at all right now! You have a spine injury, you can't just power through that with pain tolerance. If you try and push yourself I can guarantee you will hurt yourself even more than you already are." Jay told him.

Pete took a few deep breaths trying to calm himself. "...I can't walk." He mumbled to himself.

"For the time being." Jay responded. "It's not a break so if your careful you should be able to recover. I'd say if your careful and follow a therapy schedule by around six months you should be able to walk with crutches. In a year you might be able to move without them, but if you insist on pushing yourself I can't guarantee any of that." Jay said.

Pete was silent for a few moments. "So what do I do until then?" He asked.

Jay gave a small smile and stood up from what he was sitting on.

"...A wheelchair...really?" Pete asked.

"It's either that or sitting on that bed the entire time and having to use a bedpan to-"

"I get the idea." Pete said cutting him off. He took a few deep breaths again. "Anything else I should know?" He asked.

"Well, I'm not the expert, but I'm told you are also going to be suffering from magical exhaustion." Jay answered.

Pete sighed. "Of course I am." He closed his eyes and was silent for a few moments. "Well, since there's nothing else for me to do. I don't suppose you'd be willing to take me to the expert."

Jay looked at his arm in the sling and back to Pete. "Oh this is going to be fun." He groaned.

After a few minutes Jay managed to lower Pete's body into the seat of the wheelchair using his good arm and get him situated.

"Well, I've got my left arm and you still have your right. If we want to get anywhere we're going to have to work together on this." Jay told Pete.

Pete let out a sigh. "This'll be fun." He said as he put his good arm onto one of the wheelchair's wheels.

The two managed to get into a slow rhythm as they wandered the halls of the castle. Pete rotated the wheel in time with Jay's pushes. It wasn't pretty but they were moving.

The two managed to make it to the main hall eventually. They had to get two guards to open the doors for them though. The two walked into the main hall and saw Luna, Cadance, Liz, Armor, Twilight, and the rest of her friends standing there. They turned to look as the doors opened. Everyone in the room let out a small gasp, save for Liz and Luna, when the two walked in.

"Damn Pete, what happened to you?" Armor asked walking up to Pete. The rest following behind him.

"You found the giant infected corpse along the doorstep I assume?" Pete responded.

"Yeah." Armor replied with a hint of fear.

"That happened." Pete told him.

"Pete are you...alright?" Luna asked hesitantly.

"Well I don't have control over three of my limbs, can't walk at all right now, am currently mentally scarred by the things I saw at that gate, nearly had a broken spine, and am suffering from magical exhaustion. If you consider that I was up against an enemy that could've pulverized me into dust, quite literally in fact, I think I'm relatively alright." Pete answered her.

The room was silent for a few moments. "That could've been put a bit more gently." Jay said as he stepped around the side of Pete's wheelchair.

"I don't particularly care." Pete told him. "Twilight." Pete said turning to face the mare.

She looked at him surprised by her name being said suddenly.

"I need a diagnosis on my magical exhaustion." He told her. "Hopefully it isn't as severe as my other injuries." He said. "I could really use some good news right about now."

Comments ( 11 )

[II ] Low on Magic, please processed to the nearest Charger. :twilightsmile:

4782926 that would be me XD my pic is a 69 dodge charger

4782926
of course, with this story you have to be worried if it's a L4D2 Charger.
4782931
I said not to use the powers of adorableness! It's dangerous.
~Black Light

4784699 :fluttershyouch::fluttershyouch::fluttershbad::fluttershbad::fluttershbad::fluttercry::fluttershyouch::fluttershyouch::fluttershysad:Please add the warden mister.

But I thought you WANTED whining! :raritydespair:

I wish you never discontinued this.. It was the very first Fimfiction I Read.. It helped me journey further into this fandom. I grew and now I'm loved by the community. And your writing helped me.. It shattered my heart and taped it back together with curiosity and joyfulness. Thank you.
~Ca5chbrony/Golden Crusader

5975888
Well there is yet some hope. I put this on Hiatus because I was getting stressed for time because of school work. I still have many plans for this story, and as soon as I am able I want to use them. I didn't want to stop writing, but I needed to for my own sake at the time. I still want to finish this story, and in time I plan to.
~Black Light

Wow, so many comments than likes, I never expect that though

Login or register to comment