• Published 31st Oct 2013
  • 1,787 Views, 394 Comments

Pony-Z - Black Light



Ponies, Humans, Friendship, and Magic. What more do you need?...How about Guns, Zombies, and an Apocalypse? Yeah, that sounds about right.

  • ...
13
 394
 1,787

Chapter 36 - Sound of Death

Sound of Death

Pete stood in the medical wing with Jay and Twilight. On the table in front of them was the corpse of the infected Pete had killed.

"So, what's your diagnosis?" Pete asked.

"Dead." Jay answered.

"This isn't the time to joke around." Pete scolded.

"Fine, fine. From what I can tell the feathers in its wings are the only physical changes I can see. The feathers themselves are metallic, and sharper than any blade I've seen before. What about how it acted? You saw it when it was still moving, what did it do?" Jay asked.

"Well...it flew. It moved almost faster than the eye can see. You can only really see it moving if your watching it carefully, and if you're in the path of it's wings when it's flying...you're not coming out of it uncut." Pete told him.

"How in the world did you kill this thing?" Jay asked with some disbelief.

"It's blind." Pete answered.

"What?" Jay responded.

"Yeah, its eyes glow and it looks in the direction of the noise it heard. In the next few seconds it will be at its target." Pete explained.

"This thing can kill you before you even know it's there." Jay said with some worry.

"The only way for it to not kill you is if you know it's there." Pete told him. "And in the middle of a fight you might not have a choice to be silent."

"I guess that these are going to be the top priority to kill first in a fight." Jay said.

"That's for sure, and we're in the most danger for it." Pete told him. "Guns aren't necessarily the quietist thing out there."

"Any weaknesses?" Jay asked.

"Well it doesn't seem like it has any turning ability. Once it chooses a direction it's going to go in that direction." Pete said.

"Anything it can't cut through?"

"It cut through a three foot wall. I don't think much can stop it." Pete answered.

"Well Shit...These Razorwings are even worst than the Bloaters." Jay said.

"Yeah they're...wait, what?" Pete asked turning to Jay.

"We'll in the time I've had sitting up on that wall I decided that it would make it easier in combat to be able to say what's coming. So I gave names to the special ones we've found." Jay responded.

"That's...actually not a bad idea." Pete said.

"Thought so." Jay smirked. "Well, we've got a unicorn and a pegasus now. All that's left is the earth-pony."

"I hope it's not as bad as this one." Pete responded.

"We can hope." Jay said as he rolled the body away into a quarantined section.

"Come on, we'd better get moving. There's still a full night ahead of us." Pete said to Jay. "And you should get back inside the castle. Armor would probably kill me if you got hurt." He added turning to Twilight.

"yeah." She said quietly. "That's probably a good idea."

The three left the building and started towards the main road.

"How long until we'll be able to lower the guard along the wall?" Jay asked.

"Well, we're going to keep it that way at least until we find a way to counter the specials we've found, and I'd like to confirm the earth-pony variant that no doubt is going to show up eventually." Pete answered.

"Well we have the basic idea for the two we do know. Kill Razorwings first, and move if you see red. And keep your distance from the Bloaters." Jay responded.

"It's still not a counter, just guidelines to follow." Pete told him.

"At least it's something. It's more than we normally have." Jay said.

"True, true." Pete nodded. "I just-"

A loud bang suddenly echoed around the three silencing Pete.

"What was that?" Twilight asked.

"Thunder?" Jay proposed.

Pete looked up. "I can see the stars, it's a clear sky." He told Jay.

"Then what?" Jay asked.

"PETE!" A voice shouted through the radio.

"Liz, what's wrong?!" Pete asked pulling out his radio.

"Get to the front gate now. We need-" A loud banging echoed around the three again and the same noise came from the radio. "Hurry!"

"Get inside the castle." Pete told Twilight as both he and Jay started to rush towards the main gate.

"You don't think-" Jay started.

"I hope to hell not." Pete told him.

The two made their way to the main gate. The thunderous sound continuing as hey ran. As they approached they saw Liz and a group of guards standing in front of the gate.

"Liz's what's going on?" Pete asked as he stopped next to her.

"Why is the gate cracked?" Jay asked hesitantly.

Pete looked up at the gate and saw the Jay was right. The gate had cracks al along the inside of the door. Wood was splintered. Suddenly the door bulged inward slightly being accompanied by a loud boom as it did.

"Liz! Tell me what's happening!" Pete called out.

"It's-" Liz started.

Suddenly the door was hit again and a loud cracking sound was heard. A loud boom followed shortly. Looking towards the gate Pete saw a large dust cloud, looking slightly lower he saw the gate laying on the ground torn from the wall.

Pete looked up to the now open hole in the wall. "It- it's a monster." Liz finally said as the dust began to clear.

Pete couldn't look away from the broken door. The dust cleared away revealing a disturbing sight. There was an infected standing in the door way. At least three times the size of a normal infected. It's body was torn in places by the large muscles unable to be contained by it's skin. As the monster moved inside the wall each hoof fell with a loud boom and shaking ground. Pete was frozen in place as he watch the beast. Then it roared, it charged at the closest guard and swung it's massive hooves down towards the guard. The ground shook and all that was left of the guard was a splatter of blood, and a few powdered bones.

"GET AWAY!!" Pete shouted to the rest of the guard as he raised his rifle and unloaded half a mag into the monster.

The beast shouted in pain and turned towards Pete. Pulling the trigger once more Pete emptied the rest of the mag into the beast's face. It shouted in pain and began bleeding from it's head, but then it charged Pete. Pete dived out of the way just barely dodging the infected swings.

"KEEP SHOOTING IT!!" Pete called out to Liz and Jay. Quickly switching to a full magazine Pete began to shoot the beast again. The monster didn't slow though. It kept coming after Pete.

Pete got to his feet and began to run. The infected chasing after him. Pete heard the hated sound of an empty mag and took out the shotgun. Shooting as he ran, Pete barely managed to stay out of the reach of the monster. Then Pete's foot hit a broken piece of wood on the ground and he faltered slightly, giving the beast enough time to catch up.

Pete screamed out in pain as he felt something connect with his back. He was suddenly lifted airborne and slammed into the wall with his left arm, forcing him to scream out again. Pete's vision slowly began to clear up, and returned just in time to see the behemoth standing over him hooves prepared to smash him into pulp. Pete threw up his good arm and a black dome shimmered into life around Pete. The beast's hooves slammed down, causing Pete to grown in pain as cracks spread along his barrier.

The monster didn't let up. He kept slamming down on the shield causing more and more cracks to form. Pete felt his nose begin to bleed as magical exhaustion started to set in. Pete's vision began to blur as the monster raised his hooves once again to strike.

Suddenly Jay was on the creatures back using one arm around the monsters neck to stay put and holding his pistol the its head. The beast began to trash around trying to remove Jay, who fired a shot into the beasts head. But the monster kept trashing about. Jay fired six more shots into the beast before it fell to the ground. Pete let his arm fall the barrier disappearing with it.

Jay slowly lumbered over and sat down next to Pete. Both were breathing heavily and heavily bruised and bleeding.

"I...don't know what the hell we're going to call this one." Jay managed to say.

"...Thunderhoof." Pete responded.

"Damn that's good." Jay said before the two of them fell unconscious.