• Published 31st Oct 2013
  • 1,787 Views, 394 Comments

Pony-Z - Black Light



Ponies, Humans, Friendship, and Magic. What more do you need?...How about Guns, Zombies, and an Apocalypse? Yeah, that sounds about right.

  • ...
13
 394
 1,787

Chapter 23 - ...Goodbye

...Goodbye

"What exactly is the problem?" Pete asked the guard as he closed the door behind them.

"Infected sir, they found the chariots. They didn't notice me or the other guard, but they aren't leaving the area and it doesn't look like they're going to soon.

Pete started to pace in the entryway. "Matt, Liz, Jay!" He called into the house. The three humans walked into the entryway.

"What's going on?" Matt asked.

"Zombies found the chariots. No conflict, but they aren't leaving." Pete told them.

"So what's the plan?" Jay asked.

"Well, you and Liz are going to stay with the civilians. Matt and I, plus a few guards, are going to go the chariots and create a distraction. I'm not going to trust some random church bell with this one. We need to have someone there to make sure their attention isn't drawn to the chariots. After we lure them away you both will take the civilians and get them on the chariot. Make sure they stay quiet." Pete told them all. "Can you get this information to the other guard without getting noticed yourself?" Pete asked the lookout.

"Yes sir." He responded.

"Then do it." Pete told him. The guard left making his way back towards the chariot.

"Matt I'll trust you're judgment on which guards we take with us. I want at least one, no more than three." Pete told Matt. "I'm going too do some quick scouting while everything gets set up."

Pete opened the door to the house and made his way outside walking down alleys, and climbing up fire escapes. He surveyed the area around the house, and the different paths leaving it. Taking notes of buildings, debris, and other objects left behind. He spent around five minutes scouting before he started to make his way back to the house. He walked in and found Matt and two guards, both unicorn, waiting in the entryway. "Get everyone into the living room." Pete instructed. It was easy enough since everyone else was already in there.

"Alright listen up." Pete said getting the attention of the room. "We're going to be starting the evacuation soon. The chariot is landed southeast of here. You all are going to start off by going directly east, it has the most buildings and the best cover for a large group. Stay behind those two and the rest of the guard, they know what they're doing." Pete said indicating to Liz and Jay. "Myself and the three behind me are going to be taking up a distraction mission to make sure you can all get on the chariots safely, we'll be taking a more direct route to the landing area. When we're done one of the chariots will come to pick the four of us up at a designated location." Pete explained. "If you have any questions, figure them out or just don't ask. Be prepared to leave in twenty five minutes." Pete finished with the crowd. Walking back into the entryway followed by the distraction team. "Get any gear you need, we leave as soon as we can." Pete told them.

"Already done." Matt responded.

"Good, we're going now then." Pete said as the four of them left the building.

The four made their way slowly through the neighborhood. They didn't want to attract too much attention to themselves yet. They killed a few zombies silently along the way. Taking short detours every-so-often to keep out of sight.

Pete looked down at his watch, it may not have an accurate time, but it still shows how much time has elapsed.

"It's been twenty minutes." Pete said to the group. "They civilians will be leaving in around ten minutes. I want the zombies away from the chariots by then." Pete told them. The group nodded and made their way across the street they were on and started up a hill right outside of town. As they neared the top they began to hear the telltale signs of zombie moaning coming from the top of the hill. Pete put his back against a fallen log and peaked over the top. The clearing wear they had landed the chariots was packed with zombies. Pete slowly crept back down to the other three. "Okay, here's the plan. Matt will draw their attention with the sound of his guns shooting. We're going to wait for them to see us. As soon as they do, their hunter instincts should take over and the hoard is going to begin to chase us. We're going to start running, but not so fast that they lose us we want to keep them distracted as long as we can otherwise they might just wander back here. We're going to start off taking the path we came, but we'll be changing quickly." Pete explained. He looked down at his watch. "We'll try to wait five more minutes before we start." Pete told the three of them. The group sat down with their backs against the side of the hill. Occasionally peeking over into the clearing to make sure no zombies were wandering towards them. Pete looked down at his watch and moved from his sitting position to a crouch. The other tree followed suit and Pete gave a small nod to Matt.

Matt lifted his assault rifle into the air and fired off a burst of three rounds. The four waited on the edge of the hill until the first infected stumbled over the hill. It made eye contact and let out a growl. What was left of it's decaying muscles tensed and it took off towards the four. Soon a sea of infected were charging. The four took off running down the mountain using some obstacles to keep their distance from the horde but stay in their sight. The order went Pete, guards, then Matt bringing up the rear. He occasionally fired off a few rounds into some of the zombies that strayed too close to the four of them.

"Left up ahead!" Pete called behind him turning from the alley and into a street. That had around five infected on it. "Right!" He called turning down the sidewalk. "Try and find a two story building that has roof access!" Pete told them.

"Five down, Far side!" One of the guards called out. "It's a Laundromat, it has an air dry rack on the roof!"

"Perfect!" Pete said taking a diagonal turn and moving across the street. He ran to Laundromat and slammed against the door flinging it open. The single zombie inside kept it's head for all of two seconds. Pete shut the door as the other three made it through. He took a broom and broke it against his leg shoving it in the handle of the door. The four backed up towards the stairs but stayed on the first level. Pete checked his watch. They had been running for around five minutes now. "The civilians should be arriving at the chariots in three or four more minutes. It will take about one to two minutes to take off. Wait down here for seven more minutes. They can see through the glass in the front so they should stay interested in us. After six or seven minutes well go up to the roof and shoot off a flare to get the chariot's attention." Pete told the other three. "Help me move some of these tables, we don't want to take any risks if they do manage to put enough force against that glass, which they almost certainly will." Pete said as some cracks already began to form on the glass from the zombies pressing against it. The four moved around some of the tables and formed a makeshift barricade, with some of the machines for support and weight. The glass shattered in around three minutes. The zombies pilled against the barricade, but it held. Matt would fire off a few rounds if it looked like some zombies were about to come over the barricade. Pete and the two guards would occasionally send a small blast of kinetic magic to knock some of the zombies back. Pete had to stop after two minutes, his reserves still recovering from his last magical escapade. The barricade held the zombies back for the next two minutes.

"Alright everybody to the roof." Pete said. The four turned and went up the stairs. They made it outside and Matt slammed the door pushing his back against the door to keep it from opening. "Pete!" He called out tossing a small object to him.

Pete grabbed the object and pointed it to the sky. He pulled the trigger and a bright red glow filled the air around them before making it's way into the sky. Pete tossed the flare gun to the ground and put his shoulder against the door as the heard splintering wood from the first floor. Within seconds the door the roof was being banged and scraped from the other side.

Not much time passed before the chariot came into view and landed on the roof. The two unicorn guards got on to the chariot.

"Do you got any magic to keep the door closed while we make a break for it?" Matt asked Pete.

Pete held up one hand and a black aura flickered before vanishing. "I got nothing left in the tank."

"Then we have a problem. We can only hold the door so long, and without us holding it the chariot will be overrun before it has time to take off." Matt said.

"Any ideas?" Pete asked.

"I do have one." Matt said unslinging this rifle and handing it to Pete. "I know you don't like guns, but you're going to need it for what I have planned." Matt said. He had a slight pause. "Actually I think you'd do better with a shotgun considering you like to be up close and personal." Matt said handing Pete his shotgun as well.

"Yeah, I guess." Pete responded extending the assault rifle for Matt to take back, but he didn't take it.

"That good care of them." Matt told him.

"Matt what are you-" Pete started, but Matt stopped him by putting a hand on Pete's back and giving him a strong push sending him stumbling towards the chariot. Pete hit the railing and two pairs of hooves reached down and pulled him in by his arms.

"We need to go now, if we don't we aren't getting out of here!" One of the pegasus attached to the chariot yelled.

"Then Go!" A voice on the roof called out. Pete stood up quickly and saw Matt still bracing the door. He was smiling, not the normal small smile he has to show he's content, but an actual full happy smile. The chariot began to move. Pete was at the railing shouting.

Matt looked on as the chariot started to hover off the roof. He spoke only a few more words softly, barely heard by the one person they were being spoken to.

"...Good-bye, my friend."